Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

kazmeyer posted:

I'm so looking forward to people banditting Metformin, not understanding the difference in the formulations, and constantly making GBS threads themselves in public.

this is basically word for word for ivermectin too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

nexous posted:

Those are tube worms!!! (:nms: warning: do not google "Ivermectin tube worms")

Edit: I have been humbled in thread lore. They are called "rope worms". Do NOT google "Ivermectin rope worms".

Pingui has issued a correction as of 00:29 on Sep 14, 2023

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

um excuse me they are called ROPE worms and it's very natural, how else will your intestines molt?

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
I’ve been wondering, since Covid can travel through your system through your blood, why can’t you catch Covid from a mosquito bite? is it to do with how it attaches to cells?

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
anybody having issues with cvs/Walgreens not allowing kids to have appointments when trying to book online?

edit: nevermind. they are just not in stock.

sonatinas has issued a correction as of 00:16 on Sep 14, 2023

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
last shot of the slut juice was September last year. Does it even matter which one I get at this point?

edit: i got pfizer > pfizer > pfizer > moderna
in case that's significant

BOGO LOAD has issued a correction as of 00:11 on Sep 14, 2023

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

BOGO LOAD posted:

last shot of the slut juice was September last year. Does it even matter which one I get at this point?

Yes. Get the new one. Bivalent probably isn't gettable right now anyway, but in case it is, monovalent.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Kragger99 posted:

I’ve been wondering, since Covid can travel through your system through your blood, why can’t you catch Covid from a mosquito bite? is it to do with how it attaches to cells?

my uneducated, purely spitball guess here is that maybe the virus has to be able to replicate in the mosquito to be transmissible :shrug:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

U-DO Burger posted:

um excuse me they are called ROPE worms and it's very natural, how else will your intestines molt?

You are correct, on both counts. Very natural and very cool.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

U-DO Burger posted:

my uneducated, purely spitball guess here is that maybe the virus has to be able to replicate in the mosquito to be transmissible :shrug:

Quick googling states the same:
"SARS-CoV-2 failure to infect or replicate in mosquitoes: an extreme challenge"

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-68882-7 posted:

We demonstrate that even under extreme conditions, SARS-CoV-2 virus is unable to replicate in these mosquitoes and therefore cannot be transmitted to people even in the unlikely event that a mosquito fed upon a viremic host.

kazmeyer
Jul 26, 2001

'Cause we're the good guys.

nexous posted:

Nah, it's more diabolical than that. Ivermectin's people cramming down formulations that weren't meant for human consumption and eyeballing dosages and weird poo poo. With Metformin-- imagine you go to the drugstore and on the shelf there's Tylenol A and Tylenol B. You have a headache, so you take two Tylenol A. In a little while you feel better, and maybe feel a little less existential dread and go about your day. But if you take two Tylenol B, in a little while you feel better, maybe feel a little less existential dread, and then an hour and a half later you develop IBS and Chron's at the same time.

The hilarious part is when drugstores started doing that thing where they'd offer a list of drugs for free to get people to be customers, Metformin was usually on that list and 99.999% of the time it was the gut-bomb version. My doc told me tons of people would get her to change their script so they could take advantage of the free meds and then call her back two days later in a panic.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Pingui posted:

kinda curious what advantage West Nile virus has

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

quote:

We demonstrate that even under extreme conditions, SARS-CoV-2 virus is unable to replicate in these mosquitoes and therefore cannot be transmitted to people even in the unlikely event that a mosquito fed upon a viremic host.

now THAT's an early take lmao

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

kinda curious what advantage West Nile virus has

its advantage is that it can infect mosquitos

e: looks like the CDC has a helpful guide to West Nile that also answers our questions about COVID. It needs to infect the mosquito

U-DO Burger has issued a correction as of 00:39 on Sep 14, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

U-DO Burger posted:

"Dead End" Host

Rude.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.
Washington State Cases, Hospitalizations, and Deaths info will be delayed as I figure out how to import the new downloadable files.

The DoH changed their website to now include Flu and RSV. Wastewater data now has a section for variants as well!

New url for all the new dashboards:

https://doh.wa.gov/data-and-statist...-data-dashboard

Too Many Birds
Jan 8, 2020

parents are going on a cruise next week.

lol. lmao.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Confused by this:

https://twitter.com/newfymainlander/status/1702046819096682991

It seems like NB changed this a while ago, but also Statscan decided to re-do their excess death analysis separately and found there weren't that many in 2021-22? But then a more recent analysis said 2022 was actually the worst year in recent memory for excess deaths and at least a third of them were directly due to COVID? So whatever stats were juked didn't actually help make covid more mild.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Too Many Birds posted:

lol. lmao.

Asking my brother why he was sending my extremely sick mom on a cruise resulted in him getting so mad at me that he hasn't texted me since

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

any word on when the new juice is dropping?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

eXXon posted:

Confused by this:
(..)
It seems like NB changed this a while ago, but also Statscan decided to re-do their excess death analysis separately and found there weren't that many in 2021-22? But then a more recent analysis said 2022 was actually the worst year in recent memory for excess deaths and at least a third of them were directly due to COVID? So whatever stats were juked didn't actually help make covid more mild.

The tweet is talking about 2020 and 2021, while the news item you posted is talking about 2022. That doesn't seem incongruent, but maybe I am not understanding what you mean.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

kreeningsons posted:

cvs and Walgreens already taking appointments for next week

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 02:36 on Sep 14, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

kreeningsons posted:

If you are (extremely) lucky you might be able to get a booster tomorrow. There are a couple of goons in the thread that got appointments Saturday.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Election season should be a good time for mask-wearing goons.

https://apnews.com/article/covid19-masks-vaccines-mandates-lockdowns-republicans-0a68414277bd37458a7e2360b1bc4f11 posted:

There’s no sign of widespread COVID-19 mandates in the US. Republicans are warning of them anyway
(..)
Misinformation experts say there’s a strategy to Republicans’ foreboding claims about impending mandates: They remind voters of the negative feelings they had early in the pandemic — and associate those with Democrats.

“Wearing a mask doesn’t have to be connected to anxiety, fear, anger and other strong emotions, but for many people it is,” said Lisa Fazio, a Vanderbilt University psychology professor who studies the spread of false claims. “No one wants to go back to those feelings, so Republicans are trying to tie those negative feelings and memories to their political opponents.”

Meanwhile, some of the Republican-led states where state leaders are railing against COVID-19 measures have been the hardest hit by the recent surge. Data shows Mississippi had the highest COVID-19 death rate per 10,000 people in the last week of August.

Early that week, the state’s Republican governor, Tate Reeves, pledged to block any widespread restrictions, posting online that the state would “live in self-determination, not top-down fear.”

By good I mean bad.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 02:45 on Sep 14, 2023

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023

Too Many Birds posted:

lol. lmao.

Just two days ago, I accidentally found out my parents were going on a cruise. I threatened to cut all contact with them if they went. I think it worked, but I don't feel good about it :smith:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

U-DO Burger posted:

its advantage is that it can infect mosquitos

e: looks like the CDC has a helpful guide to West Nile that also answers our questions about COVID. It needs to infect the mosquito

Yeah, some of these vector-borne illnesses actually infect the insects. Others like the myxoma virus don't, and have to be mechanically transferred. That's really inefficient.

Anyway, iirc the blood levels of SARS-CoV-2 are not terribly high, maybe in the thousands to tens of thousands of copies per mL. Or rather, single-digit to double-digit copies per microliter. Not easy to transmit that from person to person in a tiny insect bite. Whereas, say, bubonic plague bacteria reach the tens of millions of copies per mL, which is what is necessary in order to be transmissible via flea bite.

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Washington state's wastewater update covering the past three months using the state's downloadable excel report and supplemented with scaled National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) data when available. Solid lines are from WADoH data and white diamond dots applied to scale are from most recent CDC/NWSS data (if available).

I've distributed 30 sewersheds across 5 charts grouped by approximate geographical region then alphabetized by county. See the tables below each image for definitions of WADoH IDs, Date last sampled, Trend (based on change between the averages of the two most recent weeks measured), and Service Area for city names/regions.

Bold lines are new since previous update.

Northwest Washington

pre:
Northwest Washington
County:		ID:	Date:	Trend:	Service Area:
Island		OH	Sep-08	UP	Oak Harbor
Island		COUP	Sep-08	UP	Coupeville
Jefferson	PT	Sep-06	DOWN	Port Townsend
Mason		HP	Sep-05	UP	Rustlewood, Shelton
Whatcom		LYN	Sep-07	STEADY	Lynden
King + Snohomish

pre:
King + Snohomish
King		BWT	Sep-05	DOWN	Bothell, Mill Creek, Redmond, Woodinville, Overflow from King County South and West Point Treatment Plants
King		KCS	Sep-05	UP	Auburn, Bellevue, Issaquah, Kent, Renton, Sammamish
King		WSPT	Sep-05	DOWN	Seattle, Shoreline, north King County, north Lake Wash., parts of south Snohomish
Snohomish	APP	Sep-06	UP	Lynnwood
Snohomish	ARL	Sep-05	DOWN	Arlington
Snohomish	EVR	Sep-05	DOWN	Everett
Snohomish	STAN	Sep-05	DOWN	Stanwood
Southwest Washington

pre:
Southwest Washington
Clark		MRPK	Sep-06	STEADY	Vancouver
Clark		SNCK	Sep-06	DOWN	Battle Ground, Ridgefield
Clark		VWS	Sep-06	STEADY	Vancouver Westside
Pierce		CC	Sep-08	STEADY	Browns Point, Dash Point, Dupont, Fife, Fife Heights, Frederickson, Graham, Lakewood, Milton, Orting, Parkland, South Hill, Spanaway, University Place
Pierce		PUY	Sep-07	DOWN	Puyallup
Thurston	LOTT	Sep-06	DOWN	Lacey, Olympia, Tumwater
Central Washington

pre:
Central Washington
Benton		KEN	Aug-07	n/a	Kennewick
Benton		WRCH	Sep-07	STEADY	West Richland
Chelan		WEN	Aug-31	STEADY	Wenatchee
Grant		EPH	Sep-06	UP	Ephrata
Kittitas	ELL	Sep-07	UP	Ellensburg
Okanogan	BRW	Sep-07	STEADY	Brewster
Yakima		YAK	Sep-07	UP	Yakima
Eastern Washington

pre:
Eastern Washington
Franklin	PAS	Sep-08	STEADY	Pasco
Spokane		RP	Sep-06	UP	Spokane
Spokane		SPK	Sep-08	STEADY	Spokane Valley
Walla Walla	WALLA	Sep-06	UP	Walla Walla
Whitman		PLM	Sep-08	DOWN	Pullman
Full set of images linked here: https://imgur.com/a/jjmFaxe

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

should I be scared and afraid?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Stairmaster posted:

should I be scared and afraid?

not if you have an n95 and glasses

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
Is there any guidance on when to get the new shot if you’ve had COVID? Especially if you’re immune compromised?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Glumwheels posted:

Is there any guidance on when to get the new shot if you’ve had COVID? Especially if you’re immune compromised?

in general there's sorta conventional wisdom that you should wait two or three months, but a lot of that is predicated on an immune competent (e.g. not suppressed) body having recently cleared an infection and so therefore having high levels of circulating antibodies already.

getting vaxxed absolutely reduces your risk of getting Covid regardless of your immune suppressant (article here for example), and honestly the official guideline is phrased as a "may consider" delaying vaccination rather than a hard line "no vaxx if sick" statute.

this is a lovely answer but if you want that slut juice imo (also I'm a dirty public health bastard not a doctor) go get you some.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

Recently finished reading "The Viral Underclass: The Human Toll When Inequality and Disease Collide". It examines from an America-centric view how lower classes in contemporary capitalist society are disproportionately impacted by infectious disease epidemics and public health burdens generally. A central point is that individuals in the "viral underclass" are made vulnerable to disease and other health risks by society but critically are blamed for their own precariousness and diminished health. The book is organized so that each chapter discusses a factor perpetuating the viral underclass such as capitalism, ableism, the US prison system etc. It also follows in particular the story of Michael Johnson, a member of the poor black gay viral underclass, and their highly publicized criminal prosecution for transmitting HIV.

Overall the book is fairly fine. There's a lot of good information, but nothing very novel or controversial. It's a little unfocused and preachy in places, but not too much. It's worth reading as a recap of the intersection of class and public health, though not essential. IMO reading Necropolis is more relevant towards understanding the trajectory of the COVID pandemic + how and why the profit motive will always trump public health, despite it describing a society 150-200 years in the past.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Gunshow Poophole posted:

in general there's sorta conventional wisdom that you should wait two or three months, but a lot of that is predicated on an immune competent (e.g. not suppressed) body having recently cleared an infection and so therefore having high levels of circulating antibodies already.

getting vaxxed absolutely reduces your risk of getting Covid regardless of your immune suppressant (article here for example), and honestly the official guideline is phrased as a "may consider" delaying vaccination rather than a hard line "no vaxx if sick" statute.

this is a lovely answer but if you want that slut juice imo (also I'm a dirty public health bastard not a doctor) go get you some.

Ok, then I’m just going to go for it next month after I get the flu shot.

As if you can’t get COVID back to back :rolleyes:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Glumwheels posted:

As if you can’t get COVID back to back :rolleyes:

to your point this particular risk has never been greater, there's a weird equilibrium of 4 or 5 variants coexisting in an unprecedented fashion right now so rolling them dice has really fuckin bad odds.

I hope you're able to get your guts sorted back out and also stay safe :)

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

I'm coming to the sad realization that I can't do backfill of hospital admissions anymore, as the new data downloads for Washington state are as of a % of total hospitalizations (without giving the total for me to divide into) and total hospital beds taken per week.

Hospital admissions means that if someone gets hospitalized for COVID-19, regardless of how long their stay is (two days or three weeks), it will count as '1'. The change to average number of hospital beds taken per week means that if the person from the previous example was only hospitalized for two days then it's <1 for that week, but if their stay was three weeks then the average number of hospital beds taken will be 1 but for three weeks in a row.

The change isn't necessarily "bad" but it is frustrating that they don't have plain admittance included in parallel. It might also mean that there will be less backfill, though obviously we won't know till next week how much of the historical data changes.

I'll cobble something together as a 'starting' point and go from there. It just sucks that hospitalizations can't be compared to any of my previous updates :(

[edit] I might be able to use the CDC hospitalization data from https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#maps_new-admissions-rate-county. I'm going to see how it compares to my more recent WA DoH data and if it's about equal then I have my substitute I guess.

Zantie has issued a correction as of 06:21 on Sep 14, 2023

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Say, it's been a while, did the CDC ever came out with the life expectancy data? Lmao

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

NeonPunk posted:

Say, it's been a while, did the CDC ever came out with the life expectancy data? Lmao

taking a while to spin it so the econ side of the house can justify pension cuts, raising the retirement age, and blaming the elderly and infirm

Pink Mist
Sep 28, 2021
Are there updated stats on how effective RATs are?

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

NeonPunk posted:

looks like 2022 estimates are due in "TBD 10/23"

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/calendar/2023_schedule.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pink Mist posted:

Are there updated stats on how effective RATs are?

nothing in a way that justifies changing how you should treat them. a rapid test targets a nucleocapsid protein which is relatively highly conserved variant-to-variant.

so same as usual: a positive means you're deffo positive, a negative means you should test another 2-3 times to be reasonably certain