Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
Is this the first time we’ve seen Anakin fight with a red saber? It looked cool as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this. And not in a hurr, hurr way.

Gold bikinis notwithstanding, Star Wars has never gone out of its way to pander to male gaze, but this season has had a hell of a lot of shots of Hera and Sabine slowly walking away from a camera placed low to the ground.

It's cheap and gross.

Can't wait for booty shots of Thrawn.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VaultAggie posted:

Is this the first time we’ve seen Anakin fight with a red saber? It looked cool as hell.

First time not in the Vader suit at least, yeah (he was still using his blue one after he turned in ROTS)

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Yeah he had to have obi take the blue one to give to Luke
In the comics there's a whole thing about him getting a red one

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Gold bikinis notwithstanding, Star Wars has never gone out of its way to pander to male gaze, but this season has had a hell of a lot of shots of Hera and Sabine slowly walking away from a camera placed low to the ground.

It's cheap and gross.

Forgot to add this.

Typically, the low angle with a character walking away is usually used to show that there is some sort of journey the character is embarking on. You focus (at first) on an empty vista, then the character's feet walk past the camera, then the character starts to disappear into the distance. This says to the audience "something big is ahead" or, "our story is over".

Putting a camera at knee height prior to dialogue doesn't signify anything other than, "knee height is a good angle to focus on an rear end while also making legs look longer".

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

By the time his eyes turned red he should have accumulated enough dark side points to unlock the red sabre. I guess he forgot to swap it over.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
The Sith Lord prestige class has worse saving throw growth than the base Jedi Guardian. smh, what a loving powergaming loser.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Obi-Wan - no rear end shots - bad show
BOBF - no rear end shots - bad show
Ahsoka - rear end shots - pretty good show

Coincidence..?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Assoka

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LinkesAuge posted:

No, the movie itself doesn't know what it argues against. People just want to pretend that TLJ did more than it really did/showed. I use that "punchiest line" because it reflects how muddled its own storytelling and its themes were, that it just didn't know how to connect TFA to its own story or how its story will connect to the next one.
It wants to deconstruct certain elements and then fails to build something in place of it (reflected by the whole Snoke-treatment and non-consequential Kylo/Rey confrontation). It's a movie that sometimes wants to move on and show us that characters aren't who they used to be (Luke) and yet they still totally are when convenient (Leia who is an even more idealized and "magical" version of herself or Luke later on so he can get his dramatic moment).
It wants to say something about slavery/capitalism but only on the most superficial level and acts like a character who experienced personal exploitation (Finn) needs to learn that lesson.
It wants to argue against Kylo's point but the narrative thrust of the story only underlines his point, ie nothing from the past has a positive influence on what is actually happening. The story clearly shows that the galaxy acts like the Rebellion never happened, like noone in the galaxy is thankful and supports our heroes. Our heroes from the past are either ineffective/relegated to the fringes (Leia) or want to distance themselves from the past (Luke) and we still have the old Jedi/Sith (good vs bad) conflict.
The movie even goes so far and destroys whatever is left of the resistence, it literally destroys the remaining parts of the past and "resets" the whole setting in many ways including Luke who can now be the new Obi-Wan, the "brave" result of his arc should have been that he HAS to stay around and fix his mess instead of getting to play Obi-Wan to Rey and have this little heroic moment, THAT would have been a more useful "subversion of expectations" and a departure of just repeating the mistakes of the past. That's also what personally bothers me about TLJ. It's so enamoured with itself for not being a typical Star Wars movie and yet it still is and doesn't go far enough if it really wants to be this "new" and "disruptive" thing.

That's really the biggest "crime" of TLJ, that it made many Star Wars fans think that this is what a "subversive"take of Star Wars would be and that's just sad because now everyone thinks TLJ was disliked because it wasn't "mainstream" enough or too subversive and that couldn't be further from the truth.

You are afraid of the tiny bearded man with the silly laugh

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I thought it was just me noticing because I was predisposed to notice, as Mary Elizabeth Winstead is easily one of the most attractive people to ever be in a Star Wars.

Behind Obi-Wan and Han Solo of course.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
How dare you erase not one but two Landos

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
rear end OK...YEAH (with everybody sayin'....)

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Half this thread saying to themselves "so it's not just me that noticed"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

HootTheOwl posted:

How dare you erase not one but two Landos

Billy Dee Williams still looks good even now (and seems to be one of the few actors besides Tony Daniels who will always come back to the series if asked)

Speaking of I forget, 3PO and R2 never appeared in any of the live action Star Wars shows did they?

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I haven’t noticed it up till this point but nobody’s gonna believe me.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Larryb posted:

Billy Dee Williams still looks good even now (and seems to be one of the few actors besides Tony Daniels who will always come back to the series if asked)

Speaking of I forget, 3PO and R2 never appeared in any of the live action Star Wars shows did they?

R2 was hanging out with Luke and Ahsoka in uhhhh…Book of Boba

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

koolkal posted:

Half this thread saying to themselves "so it's not just me that noticed"

Only during this episode though. It didn't seem to be a thing in the first half of the series.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Before you graduate to "Put tits in every episode" guy at HBO you must first be "Put a firm rear end in someone dressed like a WWII bomber pilot" man at Disney

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Mary Elizabeth's Winstead's rear end almost seems like a meme at this point, it was prominent in Fargo as well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The weird thing was Jacen appearing right after. If you are going to do titillation don't immediately follow it with a buzzkill.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

stev posted:

Only during this episode though. It didn't seem to be a thing in the first half of the series.

Nah, there were at least three of four other times just with Sabine walking around in the tower on Lothal. And drat near every appearance of Hera snuck one it.

When a gay man is noticing your lady-butt shots, you're overdoing it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I noticed, very respectfully

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
When zebs not on the screen all the other characters should be asking wheres zeb

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

MMAgCh posted:

I've come to believe that the New Republic is depicted in such an unfavourable light simply because it has to be an inept institution for the First Order to be virtually unopposed by the time the sequel trilogy takes place. There is no particular need for any particular agenda behind its being written the way it is when the unfortunate, creatively bankrupt narrative needs imposed by the ST exist.

Some of that, maybe, but neither Lucas nor the Western genre he adapted to sci-fi ever had much love for government of any sort. It’s just that “libertarian” as a position reads differently in 2023 than it does in 1976, even if not that much has changed.

At no point does the series seem interested in presenting a well-functioning government that involves more people than can fit in a small room, to the extent that when the Mandalorian gave us an episode set in a supposed utopia, it seemed like a horror movie set-up and the possibility that this government actually worked seemed nil. (Bonus points for who they cast to lead it making us dismiss it.) Whoever is in charge, they become something like the enemy because they are now in charge. Ahsoka did that both with Mon Mothma and with Ryder Azadi, who is now worth blowing off as he’s become “the man” again. Andor seems like the only instance where a showrunner or writers recognized that in this model, you make the fascist Empire that’s run by a single man seem better than all the other governments because you’ve shown all the processes of government as inefficient and corrupt and then given us someone who wants to eliminate those processes.

Andor’s take on bureaucracy and its importance to the Empire respins that model: Palpatine may bad-mouth the bureaucrats in the prequels, but he’s a master at bureaucracy and in Andor he’s using it to seize control of as much as he can. Contrast with what we see of New Republic bureaucracy, especially in the Mandelorian, where it doesn’t seem like anyone is actually in charge and the secret Imperial underling can just steer all the decisions her way.

Halloween Jack posted:

I still want to know why, if the Imperial remnants are going to rally behind Thrawn because he's the highest-ranking, they haven't already rallied behind the highest-ranking guy who hasn't been missing and presumed dead for several years.

It’s unclear how the Imperial chain-of-command worked. It sounds like there were a bunch of secret projects operated by people who considered those projects independent from the regular chain of command, people with no clear military rank (Moffs, Vader) could override the CoC at a whim (witness Krennik trying to get Vader to overrule Tarkin), and Sheev himself seems to have delighted in setting subgroups of officiers against each other. Andor’s ISB and the Mandelorian’s Moffrance both suggest a competing, backstabbing authority structure where the person in charge is there either because Sheev says so or because everyone else finds them intimidating. Take Sheev away, and the guy in charge is the guy the others fear. Apparently, everyone fears Thrawn, plus he doesn’t seem to have been a rival in the same way, instead supposedly working his way up the ranks on merit.

As for TLJ, I’m not going to debate someone who clearly watched a different movie in his own head, but a few observations:
1. Again, Kylo Ren is the villain, the values he expresses are opposed by the film because he’s the villain, and the heroes all end up rejecting his approach by the end of the film.
2. Only TLJ and Andor have suggested that Star Wars is driven not by bureaucrats who love war but by plutocrats who make bank off it, and of those, only TLJ suggested even Sheev might have been a dupe (“I can put you in this lovely superweapon, but it’ll cost you”), though that somewhat contradicts even Rogue One. Andor may be better on capitalism, and even subtly suggests that it may be the tail that wags the dog-emperor, but it also shows the Empire shutting down corporate security (and I’d like to see the corp sec revived in nuStar Wars). Contrast with the prequels, where the Trade Federation are anti-Republic and also Sheev’s pawns, and where it’s unclear how they’re making a dime from any of the stuff they’re doing.
3. TFA may want Ren redeemed, but TLJ wants to reject that. It dangles “redeemable Ben” before Rey only to dash that hope completely, to the extent that if someone argued Ben Solo gets fridged in TLJ as part of Rey’s character arc, I’d probably agree.

RoS reverses that completely, likely because someone pointed out that white men in the real world who are like Ren are a core demographic for the franchise and that they shouldn’t make them angry.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

It also helps that Andor and TLJs creators are kind of buddies and may share similar viewpoints.

I'm going to start looking at other Volume stuff with characters roo see how prominently rear end is shown. I can prolly just single out Filonis directed episodes from stuff, so, like, I'll see how much Luke's rear end was shown in Book o Boba and such.

I'm just curious to see if he is trying to just do dramatic shots and is limited to lower angles because of the limitations or if he just likes butts.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's cheap and gross.

:yosbutt:

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

Megillah Gorilla posted:

It's cheap and gorgeous.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
*thinks about all the twileks that have been sexualized throughout all of star wars media*

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Scanning every rear end shot in star wars for science

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

site posted:

They should switch over to the mass effect 2 camera angles

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

site posted:

C1-133P & GR0-55

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

AndyElusive posted:

C1-133P & GR0-55

It's C1-134P & GR-055

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

site posted:

When 900 years old, you reach… Look as good, you will not.

Vinylshadow posted:

It's C1-134P & GR-055

How rude.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://deadline.com/2023/09/lando-movie-stephen-glover-donald-glover-1235546898/

quote:

“Right now because of the strike, it’s like telephone,” said Glover.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
So does this series officially canonize the MC30?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Hayden Christensen, 20 years after the fact, remains obscenely skilled with regards to lightsaber combat choreography.

I mean, goddamn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

HootTheOwl posted:

So does this series officially canonize the MC30?

The NR cruisers look a lot like them but also seem much bigger. Probably asked off the same RotJ concept art or something.