Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!

Right Wing Media: Real Time is coming back, unfortunately,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Name Change posted:

One of the reasons that The Boys can be a difficult watch is because it has no protagonists. Every major character is always working an angle and there's something to dislike about all of them. Some of the minor humans are OK blokes I guess.

"Protagonist" doesn't mean "good guy".

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

BiggerBoat posted:

A stunning amount of Republicans I've talked to think that the 1/6 crowd were invited in, completely ignoring hours of footage showing the exact opposite. There were instances of Capitol Police falling back and, tbh, it wouldn't surprise me if many of them were sympathetic to the cause but I don't know how you view the footage of the guy getting crushed and the chambers being barricaded and conclude that all those assholes were welcomed inside.

The reason this is the narrative and the reason J6 happened is because the understanding among right wing people, prior to J6, was that nobody went to jail for actions during the George Floyd protests. It was demonstrably false at the time, let alone the idea that George Floyd protestors never broke into congress during session. They created a permission structure to do what they did that passed through what they assumed had already been done by "the left," that then exceeded anything "the left," had ever actually done.

They also thought they would be victorious, and that's a hell of a drug. So they saw police not escalating as much as they had assumed they might as complicity by security. They thought they were gonna have their coup suddenly backed by the security and military state. This is why they were all so loving smug and happy the entire time. The idea that police would sit back, wait for them to leave, and then just round them up later was not considered. And yet, if they had actually looked at what happened on J20 in 2017 and what happened with the George Floyd protests, it should have been the first thing on their mind.

Hunt11 posted:

There is a way to say that without saying that Japan was provoked by the US no longer trading them the resources they needed to keep their wars of expansion going.

Why wouldn't you want to say that or recognize that? The entire narrative of the "surprise cowardly attack," comes from the fact that the US was meaningfully backing the Allied powers prior to Pearl Harbor, but had to do so in secret to some extent. There was some popular, and a lot of political-class support of the Nazi party in the US as an answer to communism. The idea was, "we'll kind of stay over here and pull strings from afar, but have a kind of official hands off policy so we don't upset the domestic fascist sympathizers..." and that changed when Japan attacked the US directly.

The US was already meaningfully participating in the war on behalf of the allied powers when Pearl Harbor happened. It's just the mechanics of why and how are not things Americans wanted to confront, preferring instead to cling to the narrative that the US was the most righteous power that stepped in to save Europe and Jewish people.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ErIog posted:

Why wouldn't you want to say that or recognize that? The entire narrative of the "surprise cowardly attack," comes from the fact that the US was meaningfully backing the Allied powers prior to Pearl Harbor, but had to do so in secret to some extent. There was some popular, and a lot of political-class support of the Nazi party in the US as an answer to communism. The idea was, "we'll kind of stay over here and pull strings from afar, but have a kind of official hands off policy so we don't upset the domestic fascist sympathizers..." and that changed when Japan attacked the US directly.

The US was already meaningfully participating in the war on behalf of the allied powers when Pearl Harbor happened. It's just the mechanics of why and how are not things Americans wanted to confront, preferring instead to cling to the narrative that the US was the most righteous power that stepped in to save Europe and Jewish people.

"Secret" isn't the word here, any more than current American opposition to Russia is secret. The US was openly opposing Japan by everything short of force of arms, with sweeping trade embargos and direct military aid to China both approved by wide if partisan margins. "Fascists gonna be mad" was already baked into the domestic political considerations and intervention was steadily escalating; the main cold break point before Pearl Harbor was the large faction that backed supporting those fighting the Axis powers but thought open war and dead Americans were a bridge too far.

Things were even crazier that way six months before Pearl Harbor: American communists were side-by-side with the fascists at America First rallies saying that staying out was best for everyone including the Jews and people of occupied Europe, right up until the day in June they suddenly became the only people who ever fought fascism. And of course even before that Henry Ford saw both Hitler and Stalin as cool guys he could do business with, but that's the nature of capitalism.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

McGlockenshire posted:

Right Wing Media: Real Time is coming back, unfortunately,

If it ever stops buffering, that is.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Weatherman posted:

"Protagonist" doesn't mean "good guy".

Yeah, wrong word. Anyway, they all stink to lesser or greater degrees and they're all depressing. They spend the entire last season trying to weaponize a horrible dipshit version of Captain America. It's a watchable show but if you come away with the idea that Homelander is just a product of his environment instead of an actively horrible person, it's because the show continuously suggests this.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Name Change posted:

One of the reasons that The Boys can be a difficult watch is because it has no protagonists. Every major character is always working an angle and there's something to dislike about all of them. Some of the minor humans are OK blokes I guess.

I disagree with that.
Like I think almost all the Boys (Hughie, Marvin, Frenchie and Kimiko) and Starlight are all heroes. In the sense that they are all working on a moral arc that does go towards good. Butcher can be slotted in as a protagonist who should be good, but his own personal issues are what undoes him.

Even the third season, the use of Soldier Boy and Compound V was something that divided the team, and we saw how it worked out.

I have watched shows where you are stuck with a lot of characters who are all awful, and it's about picking the least awful characters to follow. The Boys isn't that.
Yes, it's very messy (but some of that is entirely on the premise and Garth Ennis' original work) but I find it absolutely has characters who you can root for easily. And they aren't Homelander.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Killer robot posted:

"Secret" isn't the word here, any more than current American opposition to Russia is secret. The US was openly opposing Japan by everything short of force of arms, with sweeping trade embargos and direct military aid to China both approved by wide if partisan margins. "Fascists gonna be mad" was already baked into the domestic political considerations and intervention was steadily escalating; the main cold break point before Pearl Harbor was the large faction that backed supporting those fighting the Axis powers but thought open war and dead Americans were a bridge too far.

Things were even crazier that way six months before Pearl Harbor: American communists were side-by-side with the fascists at America First rallies saying that staying out was best for everyone including the Jews and people of occupied Europe, right up until the day in June they suddenly became the only people who ever fought fascism. And of course even before that Henry Ford saw both Hitler and Stalin as cool guys he could do business with, but that's the nature of capitalism.

Yeah tbh the « lying perfidious USA provoked Japan » narrative is some right wing rear end media, or even borehole theory media bc it relies on folks being unable to accept that sometimes even the US is correct. French, communists, like in the US, were insisting that resisting the Vichy and Nazi occupations was wrong because Uncle Joe says Hitler is cool. Meanwhile my grandma was being hauled off to a death camp to spend her childhood under the kind treatment of Heinrich Himmler. Same time, the US was actively sinking u-boats and arming everyone with a mind to shoot nazis. I know who was right and it wasn’t the communists.

Same goes in the pacific, where blaming the US essentially relies on saying there could have been peace if only it kept shipping war material to Japan while they casually murdered millions.

All states are bad and act in self-interest. Nevertheless the Jim Crow era US was in fact absolutely the good guy in WW2, alongside equally horrible states like the KMT government, British empire and Stalin’s USSR.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Sprinkling in some "US sold oil to Nazi Germany," "US turned back a ship full of Jewish refugees," "Nazi Germany was inspired by US racial discrimination," and "US allowed gay people from 'liberated' concentration camps to go right into prisons" to give America's hero arc some development and personal stakes. Or is this another example of a least-worst protagonist?

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Space Fish posted:

Sprinkling in some "US sold oil to Nazi Germany," "US turned back a ship full of Jewish refugees," "Nazi Germany was inspired by US racial discrimination," and "US allowed gay people from 'liberated' concentration camps to go right into prisons" to give America's hero arc some development and personal stakes. Or is this another example of a least-worst protagonist?

You seem unable to grasp the idea that two sides of something can both do horrible things, but the difference in magnitude makes one side clearly in the right, and the other clearly in the wrong in a conflict.

I don't see how else you could somehow manage to draw an equivalence between the US which allowed gay people from 'liberated' concentration camps to go right into prisons and the nation that used those concentration camps to murder millions of people. I mean, they *are* both really bad things...

DeadlyMuffin fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Sep 14, 2023

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

DeadlyMuffin posted:

You seem unable to grasp the idea that two sides of something can both do horrible things, but the difference in magnitude makes one side clearly in the right, and the other clearly in the wrong in a conflict.

*pats my hands clean*

I was only sprinkling those observations, not drawing equivalencies. I said least-worst protagonist, which aligns with your interpretation that one side was, indeed, worse.

Old Surly
Dec 8, 2004

and all of your troubles are solved and gone

Killer robot posted:

Nah, she was super ambiguous in the Mirage comics. Laird's notes had her as Asian, Eastman named her for his black first wife, and the early art was rough and all over the place in a black and white comic, often pretty white and often not. How she comes off varies issue by issue and sometimes panel by panel; colorists for bound versions and reprints also colored her differently in different releases ranging from plainly black to plainly white.

I'm getting Leeza Gibbons vibes

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I thought my post was rather anodyne, countries provoke each other so the time. It doesn't rob them if agency nor is it even a value judgement. When China buzzes US spyplanes, that's a provikation. When the US drones a general, that's a provikation. The US didn't respond to Hainan Island with bombs, and Iran didn't start a shooting war over solemaini.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Recurring thing I hear on talk radio is how much the democrats rally around, protect and make excuses for their own all the time, mainly for Joe Biden. This is coming from the people that support Donald Trump and the 1/6 insurrectionists. And nazis.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The one I keep hearing is the Jan 6 protestors getting exorbitant sentences yet leftists rioted and didn't face any serious punishment.

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

Space Fish posted:

*pats my hands clean*

I was only sprinkling those observations, not drawing equivalencies. I said least-worst protagonist, which aligns with your interpretation that one side was, indeed, worse.

Yeah, no, I get it. You're just asking questions.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Panfilo posted:

The one I keep hearing is the Jan 6 protestors getting exorbitant sentences yet leftists rioted and didn't face any serious punishment.
Someone got 8 years for arson during the Minneapolis riots and a bunch of people ate consequences for looting, but it turns out the penalties for vandalism and stealing poo poo from a Walgreens are lower than attempting to overthrow the government.

What they really mean is "why haven't I heard anything about people facing consequences for rioting?" and the answer is "because the people you get your news from don't loving tell you."

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's not just that. Mainstream Democratic-aligned media doesn't give a poo poo about those protesters, doesn't champion their causes, doesn't go over their unfair sentences in meticulous detail to rile up whoever's watching.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Panfilo posted:

To be fair, I don't think many of the BLM folks did face serious legal punishment. They just got murdered extralegally or black bagged and poo poo.
Which is kind of the whole problem in a nutshell. When the Right steps out of line, they get slap on the wrist legal punishments. When the Left or "Left" step out of line they get brutally punished through extralegal means.

EDIT: Plus of course you cannot draw an equivalency between protesting a racist state and a fascist coup. I'm just saying that it's another example of 'even when you accept the premises of the Right, their conclusions are wrong.'

RoboChrist 9000 fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 15, 2023

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Killer robot posted:

Yes, that is why I qualified it with "to some extent." I wasn't saying it was actually top secret, as the rest of the post you quoted goes on to detail. The political actors in power at the time were trying to hide the level to which they were opposing the Nazis because other political actors and some/much of the public was sympathetic to the Nazis.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
In that context, why did the Empire of Japan openly attack a main US base, leading to an official declaration of war, and permanently silencing any internal opposition that needed to be catered to? Sounds more like the action of a military junta high on its own farts. It absolutely doesn't do the following:

HootTheOwl posted:

It makes them rational actors in international relations instead of some moustache twirling villains.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Imperial Japan wasn't one military junta getting high on its own farts, it was TWO military juntas getting high on their own farts. The army and navy haaaated each other and were all backed by different corporate sponsors, politicians, and a light spree of assassination if a minister backing the other branch of the military got a little too far ahead of the game wasn't unheard of.

Japan needed their oil and their options for the navy was to either give MORE resources to the Army so they can go north into Siberia and grab resources there while Russia's hopefully seriously distracted and not going to absolutely bash their face in like the last time Russia and Japan got into it over Manchukuo... which does nothing to improve their situation with the forever war in China, just makes it a broader front, or go south and grab some resources and prestige for themselves by seizing a bunch of islands from distracted European powers. That would be a hell of a lot easier, quicker, and give the Navy the funds and fight they were looking for. Just a small problem with the Philippines being right there though, and firmly under control of the US. They'd play holy hell with Japanese resource lines simply by sailing out of port.

So war with the US it was, and they sure as hell weren't about to give the US advance notice to do anything to protect the only reasonable place for Japan to attack. Pearl Harbor was supposed to hurt a lot more than it actually did in OTL.

Sucks being a hemmed in country with limited choices. They knew they were likely to lose in a fight with the US over time, but they didn't have a realistic future as a world power if they didn't sucker punch the US and turn it into a gross, prolonged, struggle.

killer_robot fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Sep 15, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
What were the cumulative years of prison time for BLM riots vs Jan 6?seems like it would be a pretty stark comparison just on the sheer scale (nationwide protests over 2 years vs 1 incident).

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Absurd Alhazred posted:

In that context, why did the Empire of Japan openly attack a main US base, leading to an official declaration of war, and permanently silencing any internal opposition that needed to be catered to? Sounds more like the action of a military junta high on its own farts. It absolutely doesn't do the following:
A military junta high on it's own farts is acting rationally. They're just working from faulty premises because they're high on their own farts

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Laura Loomer is mad Ron DeSantis isn't black bagging some teacher in Florida for having a gay pride flag.
https://twitter.com/LauraLoomer/status/1702492471303823600?t=OtQg-G432zwghCHiygbafA&s=19

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

To be fair, I don't think many of the BLM folks did face serious legal punishment. They just got murdered extralegally or black bagged and poo poo.
Which is kind of the whole problem in a nutshell. When the Right steps out of line, they get slap on the wrist legal punishments. When the Left or "Left" step out of line they get brutally punished through extralegal means.

EDIT: Plus of course you cannot draw an equivalency between protesting a racist state and a fascist coup. I'm just saying that it's another example of 'even when you accept the premises of the Right, their conclusions are wrong.'
This is something I pull from when someone is stupid enough to say our media is anything other than center-right. A shitload of protests, arrests, violence you mentioned, all the poo poo you'd expect happened and it just so happened that all those media outlets run by all those rich people were conspicuously very uninterested in covering massive state violence to protect property in response to protesting massive state violence because racism.

Kale
May 14, 2010

Just got a mishmash of mask mandates coming back to Canada because I guess some doctor is transgender or something and I apparently really needed to know this and this was all super important totally happening stuff in a socio-political climate that would never allow for it at this stage because it's too divisive an issue. We didn't have any mask mandates in Canada last year and we certainly aren't having them while the Liberal government is already underwater and it's just an easy issue for any prospective challenger government to pounce on be it a Republican or Conservative or whatever.

The reason I'm posting this in the RWM thread is I'm still so tired of this poo poo from these people all the time now and it just clearly never ends cause it's a loving business. They are more paranoid about this mask poo poo and Covid conspiracies then they ever were when it was still at pandemic status and are convinced another lockdown is always imminently around the corner and it's hampering them and everyone arounds them's ability to just live their lives peacefully (though they preach about Libertarian poo poo and resisting control all the time obviously they never seem to respect other people's wish to not have to talk about this stuff all the time and listen to conspiracy rants) and it's obviously cause they get all their news from these bullshit RWM sources, automatically believe all of it and refuse to believe anything that comes from any mainstream media source or non-conservative politician ever and refuse to not believe things are happening that clearly aren't happening just because some RWM source is on about it again for political reasons.

Having witnessed this sort of person and worked with several of them first hand now I feel there's definitely equal fault in all this going down the rabbit hole poo poo on the person to be able to not fall for obvious grift and distinguishing between conspiracy poo poo and reality or when they are starting to actually go down the rabbit hole completely and just lose touch with reality and self-evident logic. Like this guy insisted he started watching this poo poo for fun and now believes in it and I kind of somewhat believe at least that much cause he has a normal side to him well, though I see less and less of it lately. He wasn't quite this crazy about it all when he first moved into the place, but I'm getting the sense the usual suspects are really cranking the conspiracy poo poo up to 11 for an election year in the U.S next year and the possibility of an Election in Canada within the same timeframe. Regardless I'd just as soon put easy money on there not being any sort of mask mandate in Ontario, Canada this winter season and say I'll vote conservative and start listening to Joe Rogan, Alex Jones and Jordan Peterson as my only source of media if it did, I'm that confident it's all grift conspiracy bullshit for algorithm riding and political reasons.

It's very clearly come to Canada now and the Covid pandemic spiked the poo poo out of it happening. I never really recall it being a part of my daily life that I'd have to listen to people going on incoherently about crazy conspiracy poo poo some podcast convinced them of before the whole Freedom Convoy thing.

Kale fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 16, 2023

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

ErIog posted:

The reason this is the narrative and the reason J6 happened is because the understanding among right wing people, prior to J6, was that nobody went to jail for actions during the George Floyd protests. It was demonstrably false at the time, let alone the idea that George Floyd protestors never broke into congress during session. They created a permission structure to do what they did that passed through what they assumed had already been done by "the left," that then exceeded anything "the left," had ever actually done.

They also thought they would be victorious, and that's a hell of a drug. So they saw police not escalating as much as they had assumed they might as complicity by security. They thought they were gonna have their coup suddenly backed by the security and military state. This is why they were all so loving smug and happy the entire time. The idea that police would sit back, wait for them to leave, and then just round them up later was not considered. And yet, if they had actually looked at what happened on J20 in 2017 and what happened with the George Floyd protests, it should have been the first thing on their mind.

Japan didn't care about America's support for the Allies against the Nazis at all. They cared that the US was supporting China and hobbling Japan's aggression by levying an oil embargo against them.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Charlz Guybon posted:

Japan didn't care about America's support for the Allies against the Nazis at all. They cared that the US was supporting China and hobbling Japan's aggression by levying an oil embargo against them.

Enh, I'm not sure about that. Japan was primarily focused on China but did also care about the threat posed by the other three letters in what it termed "ABCD Encirclement." It absolutely saw American collusion with (at least) the British and Dutch colonial regimes in Asia as a threat to its own imperial expansion, on which it believed its economic future depended.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

https://twitter.com/FearedBuck/status/1703533120442503193

this both sad (for the effect sneako and people like him have had on kids) but also weird cause why is sneako acting surprised his fans are acting exactly like him?

but i fear this is the fruits of Gamergate 2.0

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Sep 19, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/18/politics/rudy-giuliani-legal-fees-lawsuit/index.html

I read that only 10 people showed up to that 'raise money for Rudy' dinner Trump threw for him and probably skimmed off of.

"The law firm Davidoff Hutcher & Citron said Giuliani had only paid $214,000 of his total legal bill, leaving him $1,360,196 indebted to them for work the firm’s attorneys did on his now-closed foreign lobbying federal criminal investigation; the January 6, 2021-related investigations by Georgia state prosecutors, the House of Representatives and the federal special counsel’s office; and in various lawsuits and attorney discipline probes that materialized after the 2020 election, according to a complaint filed in New York state court on Monday.

His last payment to the firm came four days ago, for $10,000, according to the court filing."

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

OgNar posted:

His last payment to the firm came four days ago, for $10,000, according to the court filing."
Say if he's paying 10K a month, that's only 11 years to pay back, I'm sure Giuliani will be alive then!

Also his pretty much means that if he has another lawsuit no legit law firms will take him unless it's cash up front right?

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe

Mr Interweb posted:

this both sad (for the effect sneako and people like him have had on kids) but also weird cause why is sneako acting surprised his fans are acting exactly like him?

He's not surprised. He, of course, doubled down.

https://x.com/sneako/status/1703689026006380909
https://x.com/sneako/status/1704017260069736625

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

yeah...my fault for giving that scumbag way more credit than he deserved

guess it was too much to hope for an idubbz type self-reflection moment

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Mr Interweb posted:

He doesn’t seem surprised or worried. He seems to think it’s funny.

Are there really significant numbers of twelve-year-olds who think all gay people should be killed?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

I AM GRANDO posted:

He doesn’t seem surprised or worried. He seems to think it’s funny.

Are there really significant numbers of twelve-year-olds who think all gay people should be killed?

12 year olds? Nah probably not at that age. Most of the ones saying that poo poo are probably just being stupid edge lord assholes looking to get a rise out of everyone around them without having fully internalized the ideas to have a firm belief in them. Unfortunately if you happen to have a propaganda machine funded to eternity by billionaires that keeps pumping this stuff out in to the world forever they go from stupid, uncaring, edge lord assholes to true believers when they grow up in the toxic atmosphere that surrounds them and constantly reinforces that decision for every moment of their lives.

That, of course, being exactly the point of propaganda.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This won’t change much but it’s still a big deal

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1704845614666670427?s=46&t=BHs6Pl38GJXGN2Y4xeriNA

Beantown
Apr 21, 2009

I don't think anyone has done more damage to the Anglosphere than this man. There is a direct correlation between his media empire and the rise of the far-right and climate change denial in the US, UK, and Australia (and, to an extent, Canada).

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Beantown posted:

I don't think anyone has done more damage to the Anglosphere than this man. There is a direct correlation between his media empire and the rise of the far-right and climate change denial in the US, UK, and Australia (and, to an extent, Canada).

Regans close but yeah, he's brainpoisioned so many people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

bird food bathtub posted:

12 year olds? Nah probably not at that age. Most of the ones saying that poo poo are probably just being stupid edge lord assholes looking to get a rise out of everyone around them without having fully internalized the ideas to have a firm belief in them. Unfortunately if you happen to have a propaganda machine funded to eternity by billionaires that keeps pumping this stuff out in to the world forever they go from stupid, uncaring, edge lord assholes to true believers when they grow up in the toxic atmosphere that surrounds them and constantly reinforces that decision for every moment of their lives.

That, of course, being exactly the point of propaganda.

Yeah, the whole "based" system that people like Sneako advocate is aimed directly at teenagers, because the whole point is that you take the most-extreme stance possible on an issue, and then the fact that you refuse to back down in any way is supposed to make you cool. It's laser-targeted at edgelord teens, and while the majority of them will get over it, a non-zero percentage of them won't.

Plus, I remember hearing "herd all gay people onto an island and then nuke it to get rid of AIDS" back in elementary school, so it's not like kids absorbing homophobia from adults is a particularly new phenomenon.