Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I don't communicate with any of my coworkers and it's for the the best

mine are all talking to a chatgpt instance trained on my old IMs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

all I need is a 2006 think pad, word 12.0, and an internet browser

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

euphronius posted:

most of my work conversations are with people outside of my company so I look at email a lot

plus it’s easier to print out emails to add to files then texts

Ah that makes sense. At me previous place 99% of my communication was about what I was working on, the many projects I was keeping an eye on, or answering one-off questions about our product or code for developers and other folks.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

sometimes I don’t talk to my boss for weeks

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

euphronius posted:

emails are great. there was no need to move on from
them

email got ruined when it got turned into a notification bin for every single thing

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

External Organs posted:

Biden: you're not thinking in SCALE! Get one 80 year old, he can lay 2 eggs a day. Virus the entire country until they're all medically aged 80, that's 700 million eggs a day... ..

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

AxGrap posted:

I'm on jabber
:qqsay:

Mods?

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

euphronius posted:

My bosses always learned pretty quickly there is no point. Just let me do my thing and contact me only when I’ve managed to piss someone off.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

the milk machine posted:

email got ruined when it got turned into a notification bin for every single thing

lol. Writing hundreds of complex filters before just giving up on email entirely.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

yeah now I remember one of my old carpool mates was in IT and he said he got over 500 emails a day

Scott Forstall
Aug 16, 2003

MMM THAT FAUX LEATHER
my company just abandoned an effort to switch from Zoom to Teams (just for meetings and conference calls, no way we would try to replace Slack here). It failed spectacularly and everyone hated it in comparison, but ultimately it was that Zoom came back in negotiations with a deal too good to pass up.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

what the gently caress are you doing where you need to be in constant communication all the time

WarMECH
Dec 23, 2004

euphronius posted:

what the gently caress are you doing where you need to be in constant communication all the time

micromanagers are the worst

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

WrasslorMonkey posted:

lmao, I disregard emails almost entirely unless someone tells me in Slack there’s an email worth reading.

My work comes to me anonymously via a printer in my office, im basically a cave man. Something will print up and I'll ask babby chud "was that you??"

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

euphronius posted:

Product development involving multiple teams. It’s usually a nightmare of communication since there are a lot of moving parts and competing priorities. People have tried to come up with whole systems to deal with this, like Agile (lol).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

can’t you give the project to one talented person and let them do it

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

euphronius posted:

plus it’s easier to print out emails to add to files then texts

Good lawyer-posting

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

While you sex havers were making fart noises on Slack, I was studying the TigerConnect

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

i talked to my boss for the first time this month this morning because I had to give a quick presentation/demo on the state of our sonarqube pipeline (we have around 1 yr+ of technical debt, lol)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

euphronius posted:

wow never thought id see euphrounis advocating great man theory

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I have never collaborated on a work project

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

euphronius posted:

I have never collaborated on a work project

lawyers hate collaboration and teamwork, it's one of their best traits. unironically

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

euphronius posted:

working in the same codebase on related efforts

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Collaboration isn't all bad. I walk up to a nurse and I'm like, how is bed 12 pooping? Apocalyptic or regular bad?

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
software dev encounters a big problem: wow let's get the team together and plan a response

lawyer encounters a big problem: I will shut my door and turn off the light and complete this task over weeks of darkness in my attorney cave

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Sometimes they will just glare at me and tell me it's down to their heels

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

euphronius posted:

lmao no. It’s like building a house. Try just having one person involved with that. In reality you need to have someone find land that can be built on, someone to buy it, someone to architect it, someone to build the foundation, the walls, do the electricity, wallpaper, paint, windows, plumbing, drywall, roofing, furnishing, on and on. Is imagine doing all that in code that you can’t “see” being built in real time. Software is difficult to fully grasp, even when you’re in it doing a part of the work.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
it's because collaboration means missing out on the sweet delicious nectar of billable hours

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

Welcome to the cspam job fair for lurkers, sponsored by TRUMP

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Plinkey posted:

working in the same codebase on related efforts

if only there was a centralized place to discuss things with coworkers

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

They do have these people called “full stack developers” but that is a total joke. Absolutely jack of all trades, master of none. Not to mention the deadlines on software dev are usually completely stupid, and even if one person could build the whole house it would be faster for multiple people to work on separate parts concurrently.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RealityWarCriminal posted:

if only there was a centralized place to discuss things with coworkers

yeah, teams

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

https://twitter.com/ZhugeEX/status/1702346504483033181

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WrasslorMonkey posted:

They do have these people called “full stack developers” but that is a total joke. Absolutely jack of all trades, master of none. Not to mention the deadlines on software dev are usually completely stupid, and even if one person could build the whole house it would be faster for multiple people to work on separate parts concurrently.

get 9 women together to have a baby in 1 month

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
the only full stack i'm developing is at ihop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm on my fifth week at this new job and I feel like a stupid rear end in a top hat who isn't getting anything done but everyone tells me I'm doing a great job. what a world

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

I'm on my fifth week at this new job and I feel like a stupid rear end in a top hat who isn't getting anything done but everyone tells me I'm doing a great job. what a world

ikr

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

euphronius posted:

A request or an email comes in to our queue and we have to hash out who is going to handle it

No, our manager couldn't possibly delegate work, he has no idea what we do or how to do it. From his perspective, work magically gets done. In return, we never have to interact with him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

I'm at 11 months and same as hell