Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
how long does trump go to jail for?
life
no jail time
elected president from a jail cell
goku
View Results

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I'm on my fifth week at this new job and I feel like a stupid rear end in a top hat who isn't getting anything done but everyone tells me I'm doing a great job. what a world

i've felt like this for 3 years now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

nikosoft posted:

A request or an email comes in to our queue and we have to hash out who is going to handle it

No, our manager couldn't possibly delegate work, he has no idea what we do or how to do it. From his perspective, work magically gets done. In return, we never have to interact with him.

sounds like he does important work for a good honest wage

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Plinkey posted:

get 9 women together to have a baby in 1 month

THAT is definitely the case in some situations. It would be better for one plumber to build the plumbing than 100 build it independently. Kind of a weak analogy but yeah, I reject deadlines entirely. You want something, we can plan it out, if it comes to a drop dead date then we can cut features. But if you *need* deadlines, I can find another job.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nikosoft posted:

A request or an email comes in to our queue and we have to hash out who is going to handle it

No, our manager couldn't possibly delegate work, he has no idea what we do or how to do it. From his perspective, work magically gets done. In return, we never have to interact with him.

lol my manager sent me what i assume is his like master spreadsheet that he's updating all day and just lol

he made a new tab to track my work on this sonarqube stuff, and it's just like 50 excel tabs of random poo poo that he rolls up into some report at the end of the week for the directors

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

WrasslorMonkey posted:

THAT is definitely the case in some situations. It would be better for one plumber to build the plumbing than 100 build it independently. Kind of a weak analogy but yeah, I reject deadlines entirely. You want something, we can plan it out, if it comes to a drop dead date then we can cut features. But if you *need* deadlines, I can find another job.

I think it's from The Mythical Man Month

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Yaaaay finally getting laid off next week

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Plinkey posted:

I think it's from The Mythical Man Month

Yep, and back when engineers were in charge of my previous company the idea of deadlines and throwing more people at a project was rejected outright. But then we IPO'd and we got more corporate and product people started getting more power they started demanding deadlines. Luckily I got myself fired for jokingly saying the only way to fix the problems with our code base would be to go back in time and kill all the product people who asked us to build the things they wanted. Before and after that a lot of the senior devs saw what was happening and split. Dealing with deadlines is just not worth it if you can find something else.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Plinkey posted:

get 9 women together to have a baby in 1 month

It wont work but im willing to try :quagmire:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

RealityWarCriminal posted:

sounds like he does important work for a good honest wage

Yeah, my organization makes it possible for extremely dumb people to get a nice wage and benefits. Genuinely stupid people also deserve to eat and have a house and send their kids to college and all that, so it's a public service in a way.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Real Mean Queen posted:

Yaaaay finally getting laid off next week

im sorry, i hope you got some severance at least

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

You're an IK? probe that cop bitch shifty nipples

:mad:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

:dunkedon:

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpkbZHbQpvM

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
gonna hop on a plane to go home after my job of one year sent us to big meeting where they flew in people from all over the country during the beginning of the next big variant/wave of covid

if i dont post again later tonight im either dead or forgot to post

TURMRP

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

crime fighting hog posted:

the only full stack i'm developing is at ihop

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

a helpful bear posted:

gonna hop on a plane to go home after my job of one year sent us to big meeting where they flew in people from all over the country during the beginning of the next big variant/wave of covid

if i dont post again later tonight im either dead or forgot to post

TURMRP

One of the VPs at my new company came to Pittsburgh to meet with the folks here and got covid. I skipped that one

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!
full stacks make for full sacks

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

my last job application they asked desired salary and what the gently caress am I supposed to say? Mad stacks yo?

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

also i just checked - the delete keys? Still clacking

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

One of the VPs at my new company came to Pittsburgh to meet with the folks here and got covid. I skipped that one

you're a wiser person than me but that's a very low bar

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

what the gently caress are you doing where you need to be in constant communication all the time

Imagine sitting alone, in an empty room, shouting TMUP at the wall, for 8 hours a day.

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

RVWinkle posted:

Imagine sitting alone, in an empty room, shouting TMUP at the wall, for 8 hours a day.

I don't have to.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

my last job application they asked desired salary and what the gently caress am I supposed to say? Mad stacks yo?

send them this little gem and you're a shoe-in :smug:

Pead
May 31, 2001
Nap Ghost

That is a plead the 5th situation. They only ask that to know if they can lowball you

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Bethamphetamine posted:

TROOF

Best Polls Ever, but rarely shown on television. Leading by 50 and 60 points. Just like they don’t like showing our big Rally CROWDS, they don’t like showing our GREAT POLL NUMBERS. WE HAVE RIGGED ELECTIONS, AND RIGGED TELEVISION!

his campaign is too hot for tv

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

if you are in the market for a domestic vehicle, buy it today.

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

UFOTacoMan posted:

As the morning moves on we have posters spelling out the name of the president by posting one letter per post for as long as it takes.

One of the forum elders is here, you can often find others gathered around as he explains the mysteries of pasta and dolls. This morning's session is pretty light so far.

Another typical sighting in a thread of this nature is quoteings of presidential origin such as "many such cases!". This is a way thread regulars can identify each other so as to facilitate the exchange of further "trumps" as they call this type of information.

sometimes a terrible killer lurks the fringes of the thread.
Dr_Octag0n did what they could to warn the other posters...

but it was too late...

one the hardest parts about observing forum interactions is seeing these types of vicious attacks that come out of nowhere. There is little warning for the victims, yet the rest of the participants almost relish occurrences such as this. Almost as if they are ignorant to the fact that they too could become a victim in the next online abuse.

Late morning can be a strange time as the thread finds it's mood for the day.

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

a helpful bear posted:

im sorry, i hope you got some severance at least

Yeah I'll be okay for a little bit. Considering learning how to play dwarf fortress

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Real Mean Queen posted:

Yeah I'll be okay for a little bit. Considering learning how to play dwarf fortress

WarMECH posted:

micromanagers are the worst

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

Jesus Christ is everyone here a computer toucher nerd

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
send this to ur SO (or urself, whatev)

piss guzzler 420
Dec 25, 2022

where’s buddykins. now that’s a poster of the people

Impkins Patootie
Apr 20, 2017

Nonsense posted:

if you are in the market for a domestic vehicle, buy it today.

AxGrap
Jan 11, 2005

☝☯ Ŧ𝓤𝒸Ҝ 𝓨𝕠𝔲! 🐼👽

piss guzzler 420 posted:

where’s buddykins. now that’s a poster of the people

Died badly again

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Buddykins go to the morgue

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

piss guzzler 420 posted:

Jesus Christ is everyone here a computer toucher nerd

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

WrasslorMonkey posted:

Buddykins go to the morgue

Buddykins crowdfunding for his own funeral (spends the $ on booze & cocaine)

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
technically you have to touch a computer to make post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

the milk machine posted:

technically you have to touch a computer to make post

Alexa, post TPMTRU