Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

they arent putting mat on the television news tho are they

No, if you see weird poo poo coming from Skabeeva or Solovyov that's literally just how they talk because they both have insanely bad brainworms. They talk like that off tv too.

Many of the translations posted by people that aren't CCP shill accounts are from eastern Europe rather than western translations, remnant cold war bias isn't really a thing until you get into the tankiesphere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
yeah, i got an insanely strong idiolect the yospos peeps give me poo poo for occasionally, it just seems like a strong idiolect

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Xi.com the poo poo website

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

yeah, i got an insanely strong idiolect the yospos peeps give me poo poo for occasionally, it just seems like a strong idiolect

Yeah - if you look at other presenters that aren't Russian Tucker Carlson and Russian Laura Ingraham, they speak more or less normally.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

An up-close look at "Minsk".

https://twitter.com/front_ukrainian/status/1702362949929574478

I'm sure that will buff right out.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The black hole fleet

kalleth
Jan 28, 2006

C'mon, just give it a shot
Fun Shoe

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

The black hole fleet

black hole fleet
won't you yeet
more tuurrrets in to flaaaaames

black hole fleet
won't you yeet
wooont you yeeeet

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Ikasuhito posted:

This is fine.

I'm sure Russia is okay with the events that are unfolding currently.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I may have missed it but is it confirmed it was storm shadows or nothing said yet?

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I mean WHY DO WE NEED THE blavk Sea fleet huh. It's a land war!!! Clearly Ukraine is wasting their effort. *drinks and entire fifth of vodka to deal with savage depression*

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

SquirrelGrip posted:

I may have missed it but is it confirmed it was storm shadows or nothing said yet?

It was indeed storm shadows

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1702340175135723619

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Can someone explain how devastating this Black Sea fleet loss is via more Guy Fieri militia metaphors those ones always brighten my day

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

EorayMel posted:

Can someone explain how devastating this Black Sea fleet loss is via more Guy Fieri militia metaphors those ones always brighten my day

I get my Ukraine war explanations exclusively from condescending football metaphors

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/IntelCrab/status/1702367478821634173

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Article 4 should be triggered.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Ikasuhito posted:

OK, who set their Airfix model on fire?!? <:mad:>

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

HonorableTB posted:

The thing to understand about Russian is that a lot of the translations are wonky because of the extensive use of mat. Mat is a sublanguage made up of pretty much nothing but cursing. There are at least 37* different meanings for "gently caress your mother" (yob tvoyu mat) that are dependent on tone, context, etc. It could mean anything from "This surprised me" to "That's excellent" to "Literally gently caress your mother" (this will get you beaten). A good mat speaker - something pretty much only native speakers can converse fluently in - looks like that mishmash of florid prose and raw vulgarity.

Fun fact: mat is legally regulated by Roskomnadzor, the government agency responsible for censoring and blocking the internet in Russia

*slightly exaggerating but not by much

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mat_(Russian_profanity)

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

quote:

Four pillars of mat

In 2014, Roskomnadzor compiled a list of four lexical roots, with any words derived from these roots - nouns, adjectives, verbs, participles etc - of the Russian language which it deemed "absolutely unacceptable in the mass media": khuy ("cock"); pizda ("The Australian Word"); yebat ("to gently caress"); and blyad ("whore"). Since Roskomnadzor is the governmental agency legally entitled to make such decisions, this is exactly the currently active Russian legal definition of "mat".[2]

Having couch surfed in Sacramento intermittently for a decade+, I've heard a lot of Russians smiling and laughing when they say "go gently caress your mother" and now it makes a lot more sense :hmmyes:

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Wtf is the Australian word

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

SquirrelGrip posted:

Wtf is the Australian word

Type it and find out!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

EorayMel posted:

I'm sorry to inform you, but the metaphorical Guy Fieri died in a plane crash.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
I mean, I taught some lads a variety of Australian terms and words in Poland last week but I’m curious what’s the bad one

naem
May 29, 2011

Russians: basically Klingons

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Vampire Panties posted:

Type it and find out!

Fosters?

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SquirrelGrip posted:

I mean, I taught some lads a variety of Australian terms and words in Poland last week but I’m curious what’s the bad one

It begins with a c champ

It's not champ

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Nazi propaganda:

https://x.com/ZelenskyyUa/status/1702366400101101627?s=20

:byetankie:: Great idea!:

https://twitter.com/IanJaeger29/status/1702356811188179390

Dweeb:

https://x.com/NOELreports/status/1702272282050043925?s=20

Not sure why some embeds work and others don't

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Roblo posted:

It begins with a c champ

It's not champ

Calling an Australian champ will get you stabbed, calling one by the famous marketing slogan CU in the NT will get you a new mate

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Having couch surfed in Sacramento intermittently for a decade+, I've heard a lot of Russians smiling and laughing when they say "go gently caress your mother" and now it makes a lot more sense :hmmyes:

"Our production manager was a woman, and one day she called me in and gave me an assignment. And then she looked at me and said, ’Yob tvoyu mat’ ’ – ’Make sure it loving gets done!’ I’d never heard her use mat before. She used it to show that she was being straight with me."

and

"Even Peter the Great was a master of mat: while decapitating rebellious Kremlin guards, he let out an immense stream of mat, a legendary tapestry of seventy-four words woven together by the force of his wrath."

Good mat write up here: http://www.russki-mat.net/e/mat_VEvrofeyev.htm

zone
Dec 6, 2016

x.com embeds sometimes don't work, rewrite them with twitter.com and they always work
Also any accounts that are tagged for posting sensitive content won't embed, you have to have an account or screenshot it for others without twitter.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

:lol:

The GOP is so bought and paid for in Rubles, like holy poo poo

House Traitor Caucus

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

SquirrelGrip posted:

Calling an Australian champ will get you stabbed, calling one by the famous marketing slogan CU in the NT will get you a new mate

Nice fast edit lmao, you took the bait but quickly spit it out.

naem posted:

Russians: basically Klingons
I know the rule specifically deals with referring to Russians as a certain fantasy race, but let's try to avoid using science ficition races to refer to entire nations of people as well.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I love letting out immense streams of mat whenever my favorite football team loses

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

the popes toes posted:

"Our production manager was a woman, and one day she called me in and gave me an assignment. And then she looked at me and said, ’Yob tvoyu mat’ ’ – ’Make sure it loving gets done!’ I’d never heard her use mat before. She used it to show that she was being straight with me."

and

"Even Peter the Great was a master of mat: while decapitating rebellious Kremlin guards, he let out an immense stream of mat, a legendary tapestry of seventy-four words woven together by the force of his wrath."

Good mat write up here: http://www.russki-mat.net/e/mat_VEvrofeyev.htm

:laffo::laffo::laffo: thank you for this

English just doesnt have the structure for poetic vulgarity. Even the best swearers I've known, between army lifers and elevator operators in NYC, could only keep it going for 3 or 4 sentences before it gets overwrought. I mean, The Man from Nantucket doesn't have poo poo on this:

quote:

At times, the characters of mat’s urban folklore can take on the appearance of mythical monsters, such as Yebena mat’ and V-rot-yebis’ (literally, «hosed mother» and «gently caress-yourself-in-the-mouth».. Faced with these terms, translation admits defeat. One chastushka – a verse akin to the limerick-goes like this:

A man stands on the bridge there, look.
He seems a lot like Mother-gently caress.
Then out of nowhere drawing near
See gently caress-Yourself-in-the-Mouth appear.

:pusheen::pusheen::pusheen:

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
When a Russian starts invoking the devil's family members in their mat, you or whoever it is directed at is in mortal peril

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/DefMon3/status/1702382938669633670#m
The "second army of the world" everyone.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
"Go gently caress the devil's grandmother in her rancid pizda so you can gently caress your own mother with finer practice and finally cease her disappointment" is the most devastating thing ever said to me, delivered quaintly by a tiny shawl wearing babushka because I dropped her fruit and it bruised.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I remember a youtube video from many years ago of what appeared to be 2 russian sanitation workers down fixing a problem in a sewer, and the audio was just an endless flow of extremely inventive, poetic cursing. I had a quick look, but it seems to be lost from the internet :(

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

So he shuts down starlink for Ukrainian attacks, but gives Russia cybertrucks?

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

OAquinas posted:

So he shuts down starlink for Ukrainian attacks, but gives Russia cybertrucks?

Giving Russia cybertrucks has to be a win for Ukraine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Cybertruck spotted

Efb drat lmao