Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

If anyone has difficulty with sleeping at night after getting Covid, try the trick of putting a bag of ice on your chest before sleeping. It's supposed to stimulate your sympathetic nerves and would give you a much better quality of sleep

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Wastewater levels where I live are matching or exceeding levels during the first Omicron tsunami.

Anyone want to guess what the official reported cases look like? :buddy:

It's a trick question, we aren't tracking cases anymore

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Pingui posted:

If you are (extremely) lucky you might be able to get a booster tomorrow. There are a couple of goons in the thread that got appointments Saturday.

I guess I am lucky because my local CVS had an entire days worth of vaccine appointments available for the 2023-24 vintage. Scheduled an appointment for tonight.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

kreeningsons posted:

I guess I am lucky because my local CVS had an entire days worth of vaccine appointments available for the 2023-24 vintage. Scheduled an appointment for tonight.

Nice! Congratulations :)

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

Gunshow Poophole posted:

to your point this particular risk has never been greater, there's a weird equilibrium of 4 or 5 variants coexisting in an unprecedented fashion right now so rolling them dice has really fuckin bad odds.

I hope you're able to get your guts sorted back out and also stay safe :)

Thanks, I’ll be fine in a few weeks. Just in time for my doctor to shove a camera up my butt.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/kniggem/status/1701757013808537604

unroll here. I think this is just 16 physicians with consciences writing a protest letter to their medical association, but it's mildly reassuring to see anyways even if it doesn't result in immediate change.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

eXXon posted:

https://twitter.com/kniggem/status/1701757013808537604

unroll here. I think this is just 16 physicians with consciences writing a protest letter to their medical association, but it's mildly reassuring to see anyways even if it doesn't result in immediate change.

It's not reassuring to me.

It's just exactly like how climate scientists all wrote letters, op-ed, and spoke at events begging us to do something decades ago.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Wastewater levels where I live are matching or exceeding levels during the first Omicron tsunami.

Anyone want to guess what the official reported cases look like? :buddy:

It's a trick question, we aren't tracking cases anymore

whoa, seriously? is there a graph you could post of that? (even if it omits geographic location)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Soap Scum posted:

whoa, seriously? is there a graph you could post of that? (even if it omits geographic location)

IDK where Zugzwang lives but have a graph

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

huh, so interesting. where i am cases/wastewater counts are definitely up but not even close to how high they were around jan/feb 2022.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
:britain: lmao

https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article/20230913-are-businesses-ready-for-another-wave-of-covid-19-cases posted:

Are businesses ready for another wave of Covid-19 cases?
The onset of the pandemic caught companies and workers by surprise. If cases tick up again, are they prepared to absorb the shock?
(..)
Even as we head into cool-weather months, experts aren't yet predicting new lockdowns. Still, the rise in cases reopens the question: what happens if we're once again faced with an overwhelming global health crisis?

Now, companies are wondering whether their workers will hesitate to go back to the office, and if consumers will once again abandon brick-and-mortar stores, restaurants and hotels.

The upside: with more than three years of pandemic-related experience, "we have tools at our disposal to mitigate the consequences of Covid-19 on the population", says Rachael Piltch-Loeb, a research scientist at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Essential workers, however will still be on the frontlines, and with some CEOs drawing a hard line on return-to-office policies, the next wave of cases won't affect all businesses or workers equally.
(..)
The looming uncertainty is scary. But now, after facing several waves of closures and shifts in guidelines throughout the past few years, most companies and employees have a blueprint to work from.

Importantly, says Piltch-Loeb, "businesses have adapted to working in different disease environments … The way work is done has changed for the majority of the workforce". Since the height of the pandemic, companies have put remote-work policies and crisis-operational modalities in place; in some cases, she adds, they've also updated or added sick leave and parental leave policies.

Essentially, employers are more prepared to be nimble than they were in the past, now familiar with handling changes in policy and restrictions. Many office workers already know how to work from home – many still do, even years after initial lockdowns were lifted. The essential infrastructure needed for businesses to operate remotely is largely already in place; companies won't be scrambling to maintain business continuity amid unprecedented shifts.
(..)
Elissa Perry, organisational psychologist and professor of psychology and education at Columbia University's Teachers College, US, doesn't believe this fall's rise in cases will bring the same level of disruption we felt in 2020 and 2021, especially for businesses that are able to be flexible.

Part of this, she believes, is because business leaders are now more attuned to their workers, both physically and psychologically. "We saw a lot of implications of being remote – not only on people's physical health, but also their social and emotional wellbeing," says Perry. Now, rather than solely trying to protect employees from contracting the virus as they did initially, "employers are trying to balance the physical risk with the emotional risk".
(..)
Perry also notes it's hard to know exactly how businesses across many sectors will fare in another wave, since their workers are in different positions than they were at the start of the pandemic. She points to people who have been battling long Covid and "might have a different response to this whole issue than people who didn't have that experience". Similarly, workers continue to struggle with their mental health, and it's difficult to predict how another workplace shift would affect them.
(..)
Whether or not another lockdown is in the offing, the current rise in cases presents companies with an opportunity to sink or swim. Employees now know what good – and bad – crisis management is, and they'll be looking to their bosses for signals to guide them through another wave of uncertainty.
(..)
Despite the unknown future, experts largely say businesses and workers will likely be able to quickly adapt to challenges coming down the pike – Covid-19 or otherwise. The past few years have been a trial by fire, but many businesses have learned a lot and put in place plans that will help them going forwards.
(..)

They sure have! Continually trying to whip the peons to work more for less while sicker, with the strategy of throwing a temper tantrum, was a lesson well learned...

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
lmao, just a heads up.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/11/well/live/covid-vaccine-booster-fall.html posted:

What to Know About the New Covid Shots
The updated shots are now available in the U.S. Here’s who should get them and what to expect.
(..)
How much does the new shot cost?
In the beginning of the pandemic, the U.S. government bought hundreds of millions of vaccine doses and distributed them for free. But now, the cost of the reformulated shots will be negotiated by private insurance companies and government payers like Medicare. The vaccines will likely remain free for most people with private or public health insurance — as long as you get them through an in-network provider.

Those who are uninsured may be able to get the new Covid shots for free at community health centers. Additionally, vaccine makers are expected to donate doses for the uninsured. A government “bridge” program may also help provide access to the vaccines, at least through 2024.
(..)

Yup, there it is by at least one Department of Health:

https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/for-first-time-new-covid-19-vaccines-wont-be-free-for-all-what-to-know-in-minnesota/ posted:

For 1st time, updated COVID-19 vax won't be free for all: Here's what Minnesotans should know
(..)
VACCINE COSTS?
MDH says, for the first time, the updated vaccines are now commercialized. It means there may be costs with receiving the doses.

Minnesotans with health insurance are encouraged to speak with their insurer and see about their specific coverage before scheduling a vaccine appointment.
(..)

This is such an amazingly dumb decision. Now everyone has to consider if their insurance covers the booster and whether a site is in-network... I am uncertain if uptake will even go to double digits, but it might be easier for Americans to gauge if it is free or not, than I think?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

It's a decision that's absolutely going to result in single digit uptake rates, and that's gotta be the intention, but I have no idea why anyone would think that's a good idea.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
We have the tools. The tools aren't in your network.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

That's similar to what I see, yeah. Some neighboring counties aren't as bad, but some of those also weren't monitoring wastewater during BA.1 so I can't do a comparison. These county/sewershed-specific spikes make me wonder about the contributions of individual mega-shedders, like we saw with the cryptic carrier in Ohio.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Zugzwang posted:

mega-shitters

:hmmyes:

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Why the gently caress does every policy makers assume that every Americans looooove to talk to their insurer? It's painful and always a huge loving waste of time, ain't nobody got the time to wait 3 hours on the phone to just get someone to say "I'm not sure, let me check and I'll send you a letter when I find out"

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
In other pandemic news:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/14/india/kerala-nipah-virus-india-outbreak-intl-hnk/index.html posted:

Indian authorities rush to contain a deadly Nipah virus outbreak in Kerala

A state in southern India is taking measures to contain an outbreak of the Nipah virus after two people died from the rare and often deadly disease, shutting schools and testing hundreds to prevent its spread.

Kerala’s chief minister Pinarayi Vijayan said the virus has been detected in the state’s Kozhikode district, urging residents to exercise caution and follow the health department’s safety guidelines.

Two people have died from the virus, he said in a statement Wednesday, the state’s fourth outbreak since 2018. “We should not be afraid, but face this situation with caution,” Vijayan wrote on social media.

Nipah is a zoonotic virus transmitted from animals to humans, according to the World Health Organization (WHO). However, it can also be transmitted through contaminated food or directly between people.
(..)
So far in Kerala, more than 700 people have been identified as close contacts and are being tested for the virus, the state’s health minister Veena George told reporters on Wednesday.

Of those, 77 are considered “high risk,” she said, adding the group has been asked to remain at home and monitor their health.

Authorities in Kozhikode have shut some schools in the district, its district collector said in a statement Wednesday. Meanwhile, seven villages have been declared “containment zones,” Reuters reported.
(..)

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/what-is-nipah-virus-that-killed-two-india-how-is-it-treated-2023-09-14/ posted:

Nipah: What do we know about virus spreading in India's Kerala?
(..)
WHAT ARE THE SYMPTOMS AND HOW IS IT TREATED?
There are no vaccines to prevent or cure the infection, which has a mortality rate of between about 70%. The usual treatment is to provide supportive care.

Infected people initially develop symptoms that include fever, respiratory distress, headaches, and vomiting, the World Health Organization (WHO) says. Encephalitis and seizures can also occur in severe cases, leading to coma.
(..)

To be clear: this isn't expected to spread beyond the local area.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
In other other pandemic news:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-09-14/superbugs-are-dangerously-high-threat-in-greece-india-turkey posted:

Superbugs Are ‘Dangerously High’ Threat in Greece, India, Turkey
  • Drug-resistance costs rich nations extra $29 billion a year
  • OECD report highlights gaps in tackling global health threat
(..)
The prevalence of hard-to-treat, hospitalization-prolonging infections is already “dangerously high” in Greece, India, Turkey and some other nations, the OECD said. In these countries, more than 40% of all infections caused by a dozen key pathogens are predicted to evade antibiotic therapy by 2035.
(..)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

In other pandemic news:

lol "between about 70 percent" annnnnd... 100 percent? Anyone want to go with 100 percent?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Gunshow Poophole posted:

lol "between about 70 percent" annnnnd... 100 percent? Anyone want to go with 100 percent?
Nipah was one of the main inspirations for the virus in Contagion :nurgle:

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
e you know what I am going to stop posting this garbage

Bruce Hussein Daddy has issued a correction as of 17:25 on Sep 14, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

This is completely insane lmao

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Local Epidemiologist Looked Into Best Times to Get Boosted After Infection/Previous Booster

quote:

How long after infection/vaccination should I wait?
This is tricky.

We have frustratingly scarce scientific guidance on timing. What we do have tells us this:

Minimum wait: 2-3 months. A Covid-19 vaccine doesn’t add much benefit within 2-3 months of infection. We don’t have to wait 2-3 months after infection—we won’t “exhaust” or “overwhelm” our immune system. But waiting will ensure we broaden B cells (our second line of defense; our antibody factory that stores some long-term-memory). With an updated vaccine formula, we want our factory updated.

Maximum wait 8-12 months: The longer we wait, the more we get out of the vaccine. One study found that waiting 8 months increased neutralizing antibodies 11 times more than waiting 3 months after infection. Another study found a 12-month interval improved vaccine effectiveness against hospitalization.

BUT waiting is a gamble. Even if a vaccine sooner is not as good as it could be, it’s better than waiting too long and catching Covid with limited protection, especially for high-risk people.

SO, this is what I’m suggesting to my family:

Over 65 or at risk for severe disease: Get vaccine 4 months after infection/previous vaccine. Don’t wait more than 6 months. (Go here to understand why older adults need more urgent protection.)

Under 65 and not high risk: Wait at least 6 months. Ideally, get vaccinated once a winter wave starts taking off. (Getting it by Halloween is a good bet.) This is what I will be doing with my family. But remember, we have very little/no protection against infection until we do. So, other layers of protection are especially needed.

Do I wait for Novavax?
There is some evidence that mixing Novavax with mRNA is better and some evidence that staying with mRNA is better. It’s a bit hard to know which one is “right.”

High-risk people: The data pool is so narrow I’m uncomfortable suggesting that high-risk people wait for Novavax; we don’t know if it’s immunologically better. So don’t wait for this option if it’s been >6 months since your last vaccine and/or infection.

Other reasons people may want to wait on Novavax:

Side effects. The mRNA vaccines are the most reactogenic vaccines we’ve ever had (i.e., a lot of side effects). They kick my butt, so I will be waiting for it.

Hesitant about mRNA biotechnology.

What about mixing the mRNA vaccines?
If you’ve only had an entire Moderna series, you may see marginal benefit from getting a Pfizer bivalent booster (and vice versa). But, to be honest, the science is mixed and isn’t very strong. So just get the vaccine that is most easily accessible.

What about mixing with the flu vaccine?
You can get the flu vaccine (and other routine vaccines) and the Covid-19 vaccine at the same visit. It’s recommended to get them in different arms.

There have been studies on the safety and effectiveness of the co-administration of these two vaccines. In one database, about 454,000 people got the flu and Covid-19 vaccines. Both worked great. The rate of side effects was the same or a little higher among those that co-administered; however, no specific safety concerns were identified.

Under 5 years old and not yet vaccinated for Covid-19
I’m getting a ton of questions from parents whose kids have yet to be vaccinated for Covid-19. First, I’m glad you’re taking this step—it will help protect against severe disease and reduce the duration of illness and transmission.

I agree that guidance is confusing, but I found this CDC slide helpful:

Your unvaccinated younger child (<5 years) needs more doses than, for example, an older child because they are more likely to be immune naive (i.e., never have had this virus). Multiple shots the first time ensure the immune system creates a durable memory.

Bottom line
Fall is here. Our priority is preventing severe disease among high-risk people, and we can be smart about it. But if this feels too much like gymnastics, get your shot before Halloween. It will help you and those around you.

Love, YLE

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

In other pandemic news:

lol. i have a friend in kerala right now who'll be coming back to the states in a couple of weeks.

Aino Minako
Dec 16, 2007

Perpetual rage elemental

Just want to share that our local CVSes opened up booster appointments for today. In lieu of scheduling I tried just walking into one and was able to get the new vaccine along with a flu shot immediately. The pharmacist confirmed it was the new vaccine, and that they were instructed to destroy all the old ones.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Is 'spikevax' the name of the new moderna shot? I'm looking on walgreens and it seems I can get the spikevax in denver.

The mobile vax bus is shut down so I don't think I can actually get kids shots at all.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

redreader posted:

Is 'spikevax' the name of the new moderna shot? I'm looking on walgreens and it seems I can get the spikevax in denver.

The mobile vax bus is shut down so I don't think I can actually get kids shots at all.

Spikevax is the name of the Moderna shot new or old.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
Thanks. Is there a preferred one to get, or just 'whatever'? or 'whatever your last booster wasn't, for variety' (yeah I know it's an updated vax but still)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
It's really fun trying to decide if I want to get a booster immediately in the hopes of getting some additional protection for the current wave or wait until late October so that I will still have some protection during Thanksgiving and Christmas when I'll surely have to do some spreadsheet avoidance activities. Lovely system we've got here.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
Is the moderna shot still bigger? More vaxxx = more titers = more good

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pingui posted:

In other pandemic news:

all i can think of is delta

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
I’m dumb, how do I get free tests from test to treat?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Glumwheels posted:

I’m dumb, how do I get free tests from test to treat?

https://www.test2treat.org

looks like they're waitlisting at the moment

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

redreader posted:

Thanks. Is there a preferred one to get, or just 'whatever'? or 'whatever your last booster wasn't, for variety' (yeah I know it's an updated vax but still)

We have precious little data on the new boosters, so there isn't imo a clear choice. It basically comes down to Novavax or either of the mRNAs.

Some wait for Novavax, because the wildtype version held up better, but that isn't necessarily true still and seeing as it hasn't been approved that means waiting (until after the 22nd at the earliest). I wouldn't recommend that option to people having an exposure level now. On the other hand Novavax is still under EUA, so while you can get the other doses at a later time, contingent on finding a doctor willing to do it off-label, that is not possible with Novavax - so it is the first round or at a much later time (potentially newer). This isn't an endorsement of the Novavax choice, but those are the choice parameters.

Between the mRNAs, Moderna and Pfizer, its a bit of a shrug between them. We don't even have comparable test data (Moderna used human sera, while Pfizer lazily used mice) :shrug:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

They sure have! Continually trying to whip the peons to work more for less while sicker, with the strategy of throwing a temper tantrum, was a lesson well learned...

Trying to figure out what the gently caress "business leaders are now more attuned to their workers, both physically and psychologically" is supposed to mean. What kind of physical attunement are we talking about here exactly?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

eXXon posted:

Trying to figure out what the gently caress "business leaders are now more attuned to their workers, both physically and psychologically" is supposed to mean. What kind of physical attunement are we talking about here exactly?
Sexual harrassment

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

eXXon posted:

I took it as HR speak for :dehumanize:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

quote:

Part of this, she believes, is because business leaders are now more attuned to their workers, both physically and psychologically. "We saw a lot of implications of being remote – not only on people's physical health, but also their social and emotional wellbeing," says Perry. Now, rather than solely trying to protect employees from contracting the virus as they did initially, "employers are trying to balance the physical risk with the emotional risk".

I love it when a for-profit corporation extracting my surplus value orders me back into the plague mines in order to protect me from the emotional harm of socializing with people outside of the office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

Thoguh posted:

It's really fun trying to decide if I want to get a booster immediately in the hopes of getting some additional protection for the current wave or wait until late October so that I will still have some protection during Thanksgiving and Christmas when I'll surely have to do some spreadsheet avoidance activities. Lovely system we've got here.

:same: I have an appointment for tomorrow but I am thinking about cancelling it and waiting until mid/late October. I am about 90% WFH, don't go inside anywhere except grocery and hardware stores and obviously masked. The only constant in this bullshit is that there has always been a spike from xmas to new year, the other ones are random.

Does anyone have the old titerslastthislonggraph.jpg?