Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Longhair
Dec 19, 2005
*SLAM* BITCH!
CVS in SE Michigan today lets you book an appointment online specifically for the new shot (Moderna at this location) then when you get there they tell you they don't have it yet. Kinda sucks I drove an hour out of my way, but got the flu shot done anyway. I guess I'll start phoning my regular location tomorrow for availability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Longhair posted:

CVS in SE Michigan today lets you book an appointment online specifically for the new shot (Moderna at this location) then when you get there they tell you they don't have it yet. Kinda sucks I drove an hour out of my way, but got the flu shot done anyway. I guess I'll start phoning my regular location tomorrow for availability.

yeah all anyone has is pfizer here until Monday.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Leana Wen finally says out loud that she has Long Covid

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/09/14/pneumonia-recovery-hospitalization-asthma/

edit: okay maybe not, she’s blaming it on pneumonia

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 00:34 on Sep 15, 2023

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

can’t read that without subscribing but I’ll just say it

good

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I think you can turn off JavaScript to see past most paywalls

edit: this guy has excerpts:

https://twitter.com/loscharlos/status/1702455892321640945?s=46

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

I've been slammed with work lately, so i have to do the thread bankruptcy thing

new vaccines are available now? my wife said something about novavax being available? Any guidance anywhere about which to get, where, etc?

sorry to do this, thank you

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I am going to post the transcript. Note that she doesn't say she has long covid anywhere in the article (because it would affect her future employment opportunities like is happening with lot of other people now)

--------------------------------------------------------------

You’re reading The Checkup With Dr. Wen, a newsletter on how to navigate covid-19 and other public health challenges. Click here to get the full newsletter in your inbox, including answers to reader questions and a summary of new scientific research.

This week, I wrote about the need to focus resources on treating and preventing long covid. I can relate to the frustration and desperation of people suffering from long-term conditions, as I’ve been managing my own months-long recovery from pneumonia.

In July, I wrote about the unsettling experience of being on the other side of the stethoscope when I suddenly fell very ill and was hospitalized. Many readers have kindly written to ask whether I’ve fully recovered.

I wish I could say yes — that as soon as the antibiotics kicked in, I was back to everything I was doing before. The truth is far from that.

The first week was rough, as expected. I was so tired, I could barely get out of bed. I gasped for breath after walking 10 steps to the bathroom. Thankfully, the fatigue lessened, and I was able to resume work.

But my trouble breathing persisted. I also developed a hacking cough. I couldn’t talk for more than a few sentences without coughing, and it was nearly impossible to get through an hour of lecturing to students.

My primary-care physician referred me to a pulmonologist, who thought that the pneumonia triggered asthma, which I had as a child. He attributed the persistent cough to an asthma manifestation: Whereas some asthmatics wheeze with exacerbations, others cough.

I was started on steroids and inhalers, which helped for a few weeks. My walking progressed to a slow jog around the block. I got back into the pool and rejoined my masters swim team for a few workouts.

But just when I thought I was better, the symptoms worsened. The cough was constant. The fatigue returned. My blood-oxygen levels, which were almost back to normal, at 94 or 95 percent, began dropping to the 80s again.

I improved again after another round of treatments, but I remain worried that the relief is temporary. I fear there is something else the tests have missed. Most of all, I’m distressed I won’t get back to where I was before I became sick.

As I process everything that has happened, I want to share three ideas for people in similar situations:

1. Push for an answer, but know there might not be one. Earlier in my career, I ran a center for research on patient-centered care and met many people who went years without an explanation for their debilitating symptoms. Since covid-19 hit, I’ve spoken with many long-covid patients. Like people suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome, chronic Lyme disease and other hard-to-diagnose ailments, covid “long-haulers” are understandably frustrated by the health-care system.

I don’t have an answer for these patients — or for myself. Much of medicine exists in a gray area. Often, things are clear only in retrospect. A course of treatment can be a form of diagnosis. What works for one person might not work for another. Being an advocate for your care means bringing up concerns to your providers, but they, too, are limited in what they can do.

That doesn’t mean patients should give up. Keep a journal of how you feel in response to various treatments. Learn from online communities and proactively bring up options with your providers. You are the expert when it comes to your body; speak up when something isn’t right and continue pushing to try methods that could help.

2. Redefine your goals. For years, I’ve defined myself by my fitness goals. Some of my closest friends are people I’ve met through sports, and I’ve recently found a terrific community through swimming and getting into triathlons. Before my pneumonia, I was looking forward to participating in my first two open-water races and setting personal records in running events.

This is not going happen, though I’m still planning to participate Sunday in a cancer research charity swim, which I had committed to doing in honor of my mother. Given how poorly I felt until a couple of weeks ago, just finishing the swim would be a success.

Goals need to be calibrated to your circumstances. If you’re facing setbacks from illness or other life events, it’s okay — indeed necessary — to set new objectives and take things day by day.

3. Find joy and gratitude where you can. I’ve had plenty of moments of self-pity and bemoaned that this happened to me. Then I remind myself that accidents and illnesses can occur to anyone.

I’ve been fortunate to access excellent medical care, but millions of American cannot. A driving force throughout my life has been fighting for universal, high-quality care, which I feel even more strongly about now.

This experience has also made me so grateful to my children. My son, who just turned 6, has become a charming and kind person and is excelling in his new school. My daughter, the 3-year-old terror, is playful and full of energy. I feel so lucky to be their mom and to revel daily in their wonderment and joy.

There’s a long list of people to whom I feel incredible gratitude, from my doctors to my husband and my friends. And I thank all of you, too, who have written with your well wishes and your own stories. Illness is a human condition that everyone shares. Thankfully, recovery can be, too.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

new vaccines are available now? my wife said something about novavax being available? Any guidance anywhere about which to get, where, etc?

updated Moderna and Pfizer boosters available now for appointments next week

novavax might have longer lasting protection against future variants, approval expected a week from now

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Modern and Pfizer yes, Novavax gotta wait til the hearing on Sept 22. You can make appointments now (my husband just got back from getting his) but you might not get a choice if you prefer one brand over another until Monday. Shots have been approved and recommended for 6mos and up. See my previous post for details. CVS and Walgreens seem to have their poo poo the most together, doctor's offices less so, public health lol enjoy your wait until some time in October. Call before you go just to make sure whoever you have an appointment with actually has their poo poo together (my husband called all morning to confirm; CVS just got their shipment in this morning and it was only Pfizer).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Steve Yun posted:

updated Moderna and Pfizer boosters available now for appointments next week

novavax might have longer lasting protection against future variants, approval expected a week from now
ty

any info anywhere about getting one or the other, or both?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
updated to say on a reread, Leana Wen is actually blaming it on pneumonia

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

ty

any info anywhere about getting one or the other, or both?

cvs and Walgreens seem to be taking appointments for the mRNA vaccines

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Oracle posted:

Modern and Pfizer yes, Novavax gotta wait til the hearing on Sept 22. You can make appointments now (my husband just got back from getting his) but you might not get a choice if you prefer one brand over another until Monday. Shots have been approved and recommended for 6mos and up. See my previous post for details. CVS and Walgreens seem to have their poo poo the most together, doctor's offices less so, public health lol enjoy your wait until some time in October. Call before you go just to make sure whoever you have an appointment with actually has their poo poo together (my husband called all morning to confirm; CVS just got their shipment in this morning and it was only Pfizer).
thank you, and thank you steve yun

i meant one of the mRNA vaccines vs. Novavax. Dunno if I should grab one of the updated ones next week then the Novavax in like November or whatever

Griz
May 21, 2001

sonatinas posted:

yeah all the Walgreens and CVS around me don’t have the peds dose and my kids dr doesn’t either and I’m in metro Detroit. real cool!

when I scheduled on Walgreens there was a note about them not having pediatric doses for another 2 weeks or something

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
good thing Covid doesn’t affect kids

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

thank you, and thank you steve yun

i meant one of the mRNA vaccines vs. Novavax. Dunno if I should grab one of the updated ones next week then the Novavax in like November or whatever

I dunno, they might lock you out of getting multiple vaccines per year? or maybe they don’t care anymore since the vaccines are on the open market now? might want to find out for sure beforehand

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Leana Winded

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord
Booked an appointment for the new-style Vax at my local Walgreens on Monday. They're going to think I'm a real rear end in a top hat for insisting on seeing the vial just like last year

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

While I can't be bothered about the shithead who helped my friends get harmed being hoist, I don't wanna think about her any longer then I have to neither.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
https://twitter.com/YouAreLobbyLud/status/1702289302229807543

https://johnsnowproject.org/insights/a-new-disease-paradigm/

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
trip report on Aptitude Metrix tests:

I used the nasal swab method. After you take the sample, you insert the swab into the sample collector, press it in to a little plastic retainer, then bend the swab to break the tip off. then you take the cap off a little cartridge and press it into the collector. this breaks a seal which makes all the fluid drain into the sample collector. the instructions say to “shake very hard” for 20 seconds so I did. then you plug the collector into a sensor, and that plugs into the reader. the reader plugs in to a usb-c power supply. no more getting a pair of AA batteries for every single test.

once you’re done you remove the sensor/collector assembly and throw it away. it conveniently contains all the biological material. the test took 31 minutes to run for me, for whatever reason it wasn’t done when my 30 minute timer expired. got a negative result, so last weekend’s risky event turned out OK I guess.

I haven’t yet tried the saliva method of course but probably will in the future. I was very satisfied with the testing experience and hope I’ll be able to get more of these kits to use for the long term.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Steve Yun posted:

I dunno, they might lock you out of getting multiple vaccines per year? or maybe they don’t care anymore since the vaccines are on the open market now? might want to find out for sure beforehand

Haha, thanks for the reminder, completely forgot about the new paradigm of this all falling under normal healthcare/insurance hellworld

jesus christ

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

We can't take away people's choices! That's a lockdown!

Anyway masks are banned now

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Oldest Man posted:

:whitewater:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

The Oldest Man posted:

Next time youre sick hang out there

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

My SO and I still mask but are LDR right now. They've been slowly pushing away support systems and friends that dont mask, even though said friends are states away from them, mostly on the basis of not masking is a positive affirmation of trying to kill disabled people and people who arent able to get vaccinated.

I work in person and am N95'd up and only got sick once because I trusted family that just decided to not mask upon air travelling but I'm worried about their march to entire self-isolation. Any tips or advice?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

pillsburysoldier posted:

My SO and I still mask but are LDR right now. They've been slowly pushing away support systems and friends that dont mask, even though said friends are states away from them, mostly on the basis of not masking is a positive affirmation of trying to kill disabled people and people who arent able to get vaccinated.

I work in person and am N95'd up and only got sick once because I trusted family that just decided to not mask upon air travelling but I'm worried about their march to entire self-isolation. Any tips or advice?

buy them an account

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
My wife today: You can’t get COVID back to back

:goofy:

This was after I told her to wear a mask going into a government office filled with people

Also my parents said they didn’t know if they’d get the new COVID vaccine and I told them they most definitely are.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Most people are aware at some level that covid should be treated more seriously than it is, but they aren't willing to make the changes to their lifestyle that would entail taking it seriously. When someone points out the dissonance between their values and actions, they just grin and hope the person stops talking.

pillsburysoldier posted:

Your SO is right, but you're right that they're pushing themselves into isolation. If they acknowledge that they'll lose most of their friendships if they don't want to be friends with the insufficiently cautious, hopefully they'll realize that it's not a sustainable way to be. Like, I'm vegan and I think eating meat is wrong, but if I stopped talking to anyone who ate meat I'd have a much smaller social circle. It's kinda a fact you have to deal with that people will do wrong things out of convenience or laziness, and when those people are my friends, I ignore it as best I can.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

brap posted:

trip report on Aptitude Metrix tests:

I used the nasal swab method. After you take the sample, you insert the swab into the sample collector, press it in to a little plastic retainer, then bend the swab to break the tip off. then you take the cap off a little cartridge and press it into the collector. this breaks a seal which makes all the fluid drain into the sample collector. the instructions say to “shake very hard” for 20 seconds so I did. then you plug the collector into a sensor, and that plugs into the reader. the reader plugs in to a usb-c power supply. no more getting a pair of AA batteries for every single test.

once you’re done you remove the sensor/collector assembly and throw it away. it conveniently contains all the biological material. the test took 31 minutes to run for me, for whatever reason it wasn’t done when my 30 minute timer expired. got a negative result, so last weekend’s risky event turned out OK I guess.

I haven’t yet tried the saliva method of course but probably will in the future. I was very satisfied with the testing experience and hope I’ll be able to get more of these kits to use for the long term.

Thanks for the trip report, where did you buy it?

A quick search yields: https://shop.peachmedical.com/products/Metrix-COVID-19-Molecular-Saliva-Swab-KIT-1-Test-Reader-Sold-Separately-p561344282

So if that's about what it is everywhere you're looking at $47.99 per test with a reusable reader that costs $75. Anyone already have their data/accuracy bookmarked, especially in comparison to other tests? The sales pages says 98% accurate but how true is that in reality?

edit: here is the company page https://www.aptitudemedical.com/product/metrix-covid-19-test

edit 2: Comparing the limits of detection for Lucira versus Metrix. Lucira LoD was 2700 Genome Equivalent, Metrix was 2000 GE. So if we assume that both tests target parts of covid that are conserved between variants, then the Metrix test should be more accurate as it requires less viral material. Our more chemistry minded goons can feel free to correct me on this.
https://www.fda.gov/media/162403/download
https://www.fda.gov/media/143808/download

tangy yet delightful has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Sep 15, 2023

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Not sure if your issue is isolating from the specific support system or the general self-isolation.

The isolating from the specific support system I don't know how to solve, as it depends entirely on specifics and those specifics might make it something you (as the SO) should not try to solve. You know best, but tread carefully or run the risk of building resentment.

The general self-isolation is "easy" enough, in the sense that there are specific places for people whom categorically mask, like covid meetups.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Chamale posted:

Most people are aware at some level that covid should be treated more seriously than it is, but they aren't willing to make the changes to their lifestyle that would entail taking it seriously. When someone points out the dissonance between their values and actions, they just grin and hope the person stops talking.

I see you've met my family

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Steve Yun posted:

I think you can turn off JavaScript to see past most paywalls

edit: this guy has excerpts:

https://twitter.com/loscharlos/status/1702455892321640945?s=46

All that's left in America, the only thing, is occasionally watching the ghouls responsible for our state of affairs suffer living in the society they created. And it's always tempered by knowledge that
A. The working class will suffer more from it
And
B. They will learn nothing

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ikanreed posted:

All that's left in America, the only thing, is occasionally watching the ghouls responsible for our state of affairs suffer living in the society they created. And it's always tempered by knowledge that
A. The working class will suffer more from it
And
B. They will learn nothing
We have the tools

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Insanite posted:

so leana has long covid, then

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I 100% believe Leana Wen's public admission of long covid (whether it's real or not) is so she can pass it off as no big deal

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Steve Yun posted:

Leana Wen finally says out loud that she has Long Covid

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/09/14/pneumonia-recovery-hospitalization-asthma/

edit: okay maybe not, she’s blaming it on pneumonia

:hellyeah:

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Cut out all of the bullshit and Dr. Wen sums up the medical establishment's response to LC quite nicely:

SardonicTyrant posted:

1. Push for an answer, but know there might not be one.

Your doctors can't help you.

SardonicTyrant posted:

2. Redefine your goals.

Give up your dreams such as regular exercise and living into old age.

SardonicTyrant posted:

3. Find joy and gratitude where you can.

Applebee's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

DickParasite posted:

Cut out all of the bullshit and Dr. Wen sums up the medical establishment's response to LC quite nicely:
(..)

She's uhmm... *nervously tugs collar* ...uhh... right.