Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

skooma512 posted:

gamers rise up

An exhausted Kamala Harris walks up to the podium, clears her throat

"My fellow Americans, at 4:38 EST this morning, President Biden, former President Trump and the majority of Congress were all pwnd after gamers rose up. My first act as president is to sign an unconditional surrender to the Ctrl-Alt-Delete guy to prevent any further pwnage."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

They could smash almost the entirety of the regulatory state at once.

this has been a worry since trump started appointing judges. it’d knock out DOT / PHMSA too which would be something else entirely.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Finally free markets

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
just in time for the cybertruck

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Bar Ran Dun posted:

this has been a worry since trump started appointing judges. it’d knock out DOT / PHMSA too which would be something else entirely.

accelerationism ftw

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

https://twitter.com/UAW/status/1702470334597775868

Tsitsikovas
Aug 2, 2023

Father Wendigo posted:

An exhausted Kamala Harris walks up to the podium, clears her throat

"My fellow Americans, at 4:38 EST this morning, President Biden, former President Trump and the majority of Congress were all pwnd after gamers rose up. My first act as president is to sign an unconditional surrender to the Ctrl-Alt-Delete guy to prevent any further pwnage."

this stream is dedicated to the brave pwnage fighters of america

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

ArmZ posted:

accelerationism ftw

yeah 49 cfr is the goes away then poo poo blows up volume

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
I side with America

Tirade
Jul 17, 2001

Cybertron must act decisively to prevent and oppose acts of genocide and violations of international robot rights law and to bring perpetrators before the Decepticon Justice Division
Pillbug
lol I just found out that in Australia I can no longer stream Arrested Development on Netflix, a show that had at least two seasons produced by Netflix.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Hmm...sounds like something a party wanting reelection next November might want to seriously address before people's rights begin getting rolled back. But oh well, I'm sure it's nothing to worry about at all.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

it's even better

https://twitter.com/Nash076/status/1702481992107864176?s=

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Harik posted:

yeah, my bad. This is absolutely a positive development and I hope that SMIC develops in-house EUV so they can compete with the newer processes.

Their "7nm" is 10nm optical resolution due to still using DUV (Deep ultraviolet) rather than EUV (Extended ultraviolet) but with design parameters that let them get an equivalent gate density to TSMC 7nm. Tradeoffs.

"7nm" doesn't refer to any physical dimension or lithographic pitch of the process, it's purely a marketing term and has been for many years. Minimum metal pitch for TSMC 7nm is ~40nm, and SMIC's process is probably similar. The transistor density for both TSCM and SMIC 7nm nodes is about 110 million/sq mm, which works out to an effective transistor pitch of ~95nm.

Across the industry, the 7nm node is mostly reliant on DUV. TSMC N7 and N7P nodes are entirely DUV; their N6 and N7+ only use EUV for 4-5 layers. Intel did not use EUV at all for 7nm, and Samsung uses it in a limited fashion. Overall, EUV still doesn't have the throughput or power to replace DUV immersion lithography, so even at nodes beyond 5nm its use will probably ramp very slowly.

Since export restrictions for DUV lithography tools didn't kick in until fairly recently, SMIC was able to use their existing DUV tools for their 7nm process. If EUV becomes necessary for future nodes, you are going to see Chinese EUV tools in Chinese fabs...

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ah so Unity threatened Unity and as such they unfortunately had to cancel the meeting Unity didn't want to attend. How tragic. What misfortune.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ArmZ posted:

accelerationism ftw

Everyone expects poo poo to just get steadily worse forever because life sucks but ripping the copper out of civilizations walls will only work for so long before something breaks.

I'd sure like a representative government where votes matter but our left wing party forced through a senile rapist using the most elaborate propaganda campaign in history. Now the senile rapist can't even be covered by propaganda and is going to lose to a complete clown that is going to make things even worse.

The government could save hundreds of thousands of lives and trillions in taxpayer dollars by providing universal healthcare but the people currently being paid those trillions are sharing it with the government so the only actions we get on healthcare are to dig deeper into our asses and gently caress us even harder.

The government could expand social programs that have a simple, provable benefit to the economy but instead unelected multi-millionaires are targeting average people with punitive economic policy because their incompetence hosed us so hard they felt it and they don't like it.

This is the path the ruling rich have chosen. Not like we get an opinion when they load their solid gold yachts up with enough diamonds to sink them while inflicting horrors on billions of people.

Notorious R.I.M.
Jan 27, 2004

up to my ass in alligators

DancingShade posted:

Ah so Unity threatened Unity and as such they unfortunately had to cancel the meeting Unity didn't want to attend. How tragic. What misfortune.

idk I imagine there are probably quite a few unity employees that sincerely wish death upon the current CEO

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unless something changes in the next 100 minutes, all big 3 auto manufactures are now being struck by UAW for the first time in the Union's history. Crush the bastards.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
My partner went to a 24 hour urgent care that oops, isn’t 24 hours anymore. She went again just now and they stopped accepting patients 3 hours before close.

This is a major city. Lol what a great place to live America is

Eta: This makes 0/6 times I’ve experienced even acceptable care from an urgent care, which is neither urgent nor care. I have such a low opinion of anyone who works in these places lol

skooma512 has issued a correction as of 03:17 on Sep 15, 2023

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

In Training posted:

Unless something changes in the next 100 minutes, all big 3 auto manufacturers are now being struck by UAW for the first time in the Union's history. Crush the bastards.

:yeshaha:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

skooma512 posted:

My partner went to a 24 hour urgent care that oops, isn’t 24 hours anymore. She went again just now and they stopped accepting patients 3 hours before close.

This is a major city. Lol what a great place to live America is

This is the future of primary care. No more tracking of health history. Just an overworked LPN who throws bandaids at you.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Bar Ran Dun posted:

"since trump"

lol

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

In Training posted:

Unless something changes in the next 100 minutes, all big 3 auto manufactures are now being struck by UAW for the first time in the Union's history. Crush the bastards.

Good luck to the workers. The executives are talking about just blowing it all up and moving everything to Mexico. GM already builds Silverados there.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Harik posted:

"since trump"

lol

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Morbus posted:

"7nm" doesn't refer to any physical dimension or lithographic pitch of the process, it's purely a marketing term and has been for many years. Minimum metal pitch for TSMC 7nm is ~40nm, and SMIC's process is probably similar. The transistor density for both TSCM and SMIC 7nm nodes is about 110 million/sq mm, which works out to an effective transistor pitch of ~95nm.

Across the industry, the 7nm node is mostly reliant on DUV. TSMC N7 and N7P nodes are entirely DUV; their N6 and N7+ only use EUV for 4-5 layers. Intel did not use EUV at all for 7nm, and Samsung uses it in a limited fashion. Overall, EUV still doesn't have the throughput or power to replace DUV immersion lithography, so even at nodes beyond 5nm its use will probably ramp very slowly.

Since export restrictions for DUV lithography tools didn't kick in until fairly recently, SMIC was able to use their existing DUV tools for their 7nm process. If EUV becomes necessary for future nodes, you are going to see Chinese EUV tools in Chinese fabs...

Ok that's cool, I didn't know the bolded part.

I did know the marking bullshit bit though, the only real metrics that matter are gates per mm^2 and gate efficiency. Both of those can vary wildly across things that marketing all call "7nm".

I was basing it on an analysis of a SMIC 7nm chip that said the structure geometry was closer to what you find in "10nm" processes while the spacing was what you'd see in "7nm".

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

In Training posted:

we haven't had a good old fashioned union massacre in a while. Maybe they can get the pinkertons?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Harik posted:

we haven't had a good old fashioned union massacre in a while. Maybe they can get the pinkertons?

IIRC San Francisco once hired the KKK to attack strikers; they probably work cheap.

Gabagool
Jul 20, 2020

Harik posted:

They’re still around, as I’m shocked to discover every few years lmao

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

they're still around and still doing the same evil poo poo

the wizards of the turd coast even hired them

in 2023, Wizards of the Coast hired Pinkerton to seize products from the March of the Machine: The Aftermath card set for the trading card game Magic: The Gathering from YouTuber Dan Cannon of oldschoolmtg who had received them in an order from a local game store

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Any bets for the over/under for how long the strike will last? I’m going with 5 days/2 weeks.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FlapYoJacks posted:

Any bets for the over/under for how long the strike will last? I’m going with 5 days/2 weeks.

I don't think that's how over/under works, but I'm saying over. I think this is going to be a really ugly one.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

I don't think that's how over/under works, but I'm saying over. I think this is going to be a really ugly one.

over 5 days under two weeks isn’t how that works???

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

as long as it takes probably or until weimar joe interferes and breaks this one as well

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

FlapYoJacks posted:

over 5 days under two weeks isn’t how that works???

you pick a break point, then bet if the quantity will be over or under that break point.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Azuth0667 posted:

I10 in Phoenix?

it's either houston or dallas in Texas I forget which

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Dixon Chisholm posted:

you pick a break point, then bet if the quantity will be over or under that break point.

Ah… I am very bad at betting.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

is the UAW strike actually going to happen in two hours?

edit beaten

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

actionjackson posted:

is the UAW strike actually going to happen in two hours?

edit beaten

The video is formatted weird and doesn't start for 6 minutes but if you don't want to watch it the UAW president said at 10pm EST there was no deal and unless something changed he ordered 3 specific plants, one for each auto company, to strike at midnight.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1lDxLnBBORmGm

I'm not sure of the strategic benefit of doing these small targeted strikes when a complete strike would get concessions by Monday but either way we'll know in an hour what happened.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Rectal Death Adept posted:

The video is formatted weird and doesn't start for 6 minutes but if you don't want to watch it the UAW president said at 10pm EST there was no deal and unless something changed he ordered 3 specific plants, one for each auto company, to strike at midnight.

https://twitter.com/i/broadcasts/1lDxLnBBORmGm

I'm not sure of the strategic benefit of doing these small targeted strikes when a complete strike would get concessions by Monday but either way we'll know in an hour what happened.

The goal is having a path for escalation. Having all 150,000 workers walk out probably wouldn't have a deal for a long time and the strike fund could be depleted at quite a rapid clip. Plus organizational strength is pretty uneven across the UAW for a variety of reasons, so I think these rolling, expanding strikes will give confidence to workers as they get called out to join the pickets.

UAW has never struck all 3 manufacturers at once, so they're adopting a new strategy. We will see how it goes!

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt
This Fain guy seems to know what's up, hopefully he has good security and understands the seriousness of what he's doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

Also allows them to confuse the big 3 turds they never know when or where the next locals will begin striking. He also said nothing is ruled out that includes an all out strike