Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Lum_ posted:

there are also a tier of free infrastructure buildings so you can kickstart your construction industry, which you build next to a customs post for the workers and raw materials, and then go from there, gradually becoming more self-sufficient and less reliant on imports.

Yeah that's worth mentioning. I start W&R by plopping a free office and setting every source to the border post, gradually switching over to local industry as it appears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

desert rats campaign in unity of command 2 is fun but the unit sizes are so tiny that it's leaning back into the puzzle end of the spectrum. Maybe it'll change once Rommel shows up

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, I imagine it gets easier once he wastes all the fuel.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I don't understand why Rommel didn't simply take the slight hit to final scoring to reset the scenarios where you accidentally lost units to lack of supply

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

and in the process of learning all of this, I realized that not only can you import raw materials, you can even import them directly into the in-factory storage of a factory. I guess at some level I knew this to be true, but it didn't really click with me until yesterday that instead of building infra across half the map to get some iron ore, I could just import iron ore into an ore processing facility, and then conveyor that to a steel mill, and then the facility and the mill can be built right next to the coal operation that I already have.

Importing resource directly to building will incur a shipping cost based on distance to the border.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Frosted Flake posted:

Ukrainian tactics vindicated.

shaking my head at the fact that they would literally be better if they played the original X-Com. Anyone who lost an entire skyranger to the enemy flying a blaster bomb directly into it knows how important smoke grenades are.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

StashAugustine posted:

I don't understand why Rommel didn't simply take the slight hit to final scoring to reset the scenarios where you accidentally lost units to lack of supply

Im pretty sure this is what Wehraboos believe

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

BadOptics posted:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1089840/Armored_Brigade/

I see this is on sale; has anyone given it a try?

I didn’t care for it. I found it difficult to control everything and determine what I was supposed to do

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Workers & Resources question:

if I wanted to build a train that would haul steel, prefab panels, bricks, boards, so that I don't have to truck construction materials halfway across the map, what would be the proper way to do it? I know how to deal with aggregates.

I'm assuming a "cargo train station" is the answer, with trucks to take the materials from storage to the station, then trucked again from the station out to storage on the far end?

(I'm so hooked on this game lol)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

gradenko_2000 posted:

if I wanted to build a train that would haul steel, prefab panels, bricks, boards, so that I don't have to truck construction materials halfway across the map, what would be the proper way to do it? I know how to deal with aggregates.

I'm assuming a "cargo train station" is the answer, with trucks to take the materials from storage to the station, then trucked again from the station out to storage on the far end?

Some of the larger open storages have built-in train stops so you don't actually need to deal with a cargo train station if you don't think it's necessary. You can also directly connect the cargo train station to the storage using the yellow-chevroned paths - if they're short enough, directly adjacent, then they automatically transfer as needed; otherwise you'll need forklifts set up to transfer them.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

are there any good rome total war 1 mods that don't massively over complicate the game

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

StashAugustine posted:

are there any good rome total war 1 mods that don't massively over complicate the game

no

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

TW mods are all about piling dumb bullshit onto the game.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Minenfeld! posted:

TW mods are all about piling dumb bullshit onto the game.

Except for the one that make the building icons actually different between the various tiers. And the one where gold is changed to teef/favor/warp ston/eetc. depending on your faction.

Edit: basically stuck to cosmetics because the rest is meh.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Hey, what are people's thoughts on Songs of Conquest?

I was casually into HoMM back in the day, but haven't played in a long time. Was thinking about trying it out.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Annath posted:

Hey, what are people's thoughts on Songs of Conquest?

I was casually into HoMM back in the day, but haven't played in a long time. Was thinking about trying it out.

I was posting about it a couple pages back. It's extremely HOMM3-pilled and I'd recommend it.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was posting about it a couple pages back. It's extremely HOMM3-pilled and I'd recommend it.

Gotcha, I'll take a look back. I figured someone must have posted about it somewhere :v:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StashAugustine posted:

Chiv: total war, Viking Invasion Remastered II, the Middle Earth one i cant remember the name of.

those are conversions for the remaster tho.

Oh there's Rome Retrofit, I remember that being good.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

skooma512 posted:

I didn’t care for it. I found it difficult to control everything and determine what I was supposed to do

I enjoy Armored Brigade, and the UI is fairly good for that style of game imo, but the user created campaigns on workshop are really sparse which is a shame

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

StashAugustine posted:

europa barbarorum is one of the best mods ever made
although it does (at least) quadruple the number of playable factions and makes battles take about 5x as long, breaks the AI and adds like a dozen gameplay mechanics and a completely rebuilt ui, lol

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

The station won't store anything so you need a storage attached to it or you can use storage wit built-in stations platforms. Once you've set up production of the required stuff, you could have a train distribution office pick up materials at storage from production and fill storage close to your next building depot.

Not necessarily a good build but the basics are there. The train station feeds the 2 open storages with rules on them to max out at 50% of 1 type of material. Ten, you get a rail distribution office to pick up materials from production points and unload to the attached train station. I added truck cargo station to make loading construction faster and allow more truck to load at the same time.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
thanks for the advice.

how does a rail distribution office work? Like, I get that a truck distribution office lets you assign trucks and fulfillment orders and then it handles which trucks to get it, from where, and when to send them out, and which materials to prioritize to satisfy the orders, but on a train? would a point-to-point line need something elaborate? or does this assume multiple stations (multiple pickups AND drop-offs?) and then the train gets issued the proper orders, as long as it has a mix of the right carriages?

somewhat tangentially, is there a strategy for relieving congestion at a customs house when you have a lot of imports being hauled-in manually? what I'm doing is I'm using a DO to have trucks fill up storages, so that anything that needs material gets it from the storage instead of from the customs house, but I'm curious if there's a way to expand the customs truck slots or otherwise improve throughput at that point

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Rail office takes engines and cars, and builds its own train for the task. You can set max length so it doesn't attempt 1km monsters.

Its weakness is that, like all dos, it's point to point--you can't ie make a heavy rail ring where you do just fill 1mt of coal on a looooong train and have it unload at all stations, it will carry one station's request, come home, carry next, ~. Not a huge problem until very late though.

Border posts are primarily capped by the simulation only allowing one vehicle in motion per parking lot at a time. You can place more with the right mods, but in vanilla the solution is rail hookups where only one train can move in/out at a time but it can be arbitrarily large and mixed, possibly transitioning into sea where each vehicle simply disappears from the map/the cargo and cash numbers get updated when it reaches the border.

Mandoric has issued a correction as of 06:13 on Sep 14, 2023

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

thanks for the advice.

how does a rail distribution office work? Like, I get that a truck distribution office lets you assign trucks and fulfillment orders and then it handles which trucks to get it, from where, and when to send them out, and which materials to prioritize to satisfy the orders, but on a train? would a point-to-point line need something elaborate? or does this assume multiple stations (multiple pickups AND drop-offs?) and then the train gets issued the proper orders, as long as it has a mix of the right carriages?
It's basically like you say, the same as a road DO except the train DO builds a train with an engine and however many cars are relevant to the trip. And getting the pathing right for trains can always be a challenge. Unless I'm forgetting something, often I set something up and then immediately take it for granted and forget how I ever did it.

gradenko_2000 posted:

somewhat tangentially, is there a strategy for relieving congestion at a customs house when you have a lot of imports being hauled-in manually? what I'm doing is I'm using a DO to have trucks fill up storages, so that anything that needs material gets it from the storage instead of from the customs house, but I'm curious if there's a way to expand the customs truck slots or otherwise improve throughput at that point

Use a bigger customs house, or (always better) use trains.

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

thanks for the advice.

The rail distribution office also needs at least some signals to be setup to work. It will do point to point like the regular DO except the train use available wagons in the RDO to build itself with the required capacity. You can also cap the length which can be real useful if your track layout is tight and risk causing deadlock with trains too long.

For border issue, it's kind of intended as a limiting factor to the game. You have a few options to increase your throughput.

1- Bigger trucks. Plain and simple. Bigger truck = less trips = parking slots not taken as often for the same amount of goods to move.
2- Trains. Bigger capacity. Limited number of tracks at each border but the volume available to load makes this less of an issue.
3- Boats. They just "disappear" upon reaching the map limit and I don't think there is a limit to how many can load/unload there. If you really want to pump the volume, your limit with be the number of docks you build + distance to border from said docks.
4- Helicopter. Just like ships, they don't seem to have a limit on how many can load/unload at the same time. They also seem to be able to cross the border at any point as opposed to ship who obviously need water. On the other hand, using this in any number will require massive amount of fuel.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I whipped-up a quick test game and I managed to get a train issued by a rail DO to:

- go to the customs house, fill up on construction material and mechanical components, go to a cargo station, and drop all of that off, with the mechanical components going to a linked warehouse and the rest going to a linked open storage
- go to the customs house, fill up on gravel, go to an aggregate unloading station, and drop off the gravel to go to an aggregate storage
- go to a different cargo station, take some uranium oxide, go back to the customs house, and export it

this is incredible and cool, thank you all for the help

now I'm going to jump back into my real game and build out this entire thing with construction offices

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I have discoverd that a cool goon who set his steam library on family share with me a while ago has Workers and Resources in it. I probably won't be able to play it much now, between my job, other obligations, and Dom6 beta testing, but at least I can see if it runs on my computer or not.

e: Holy poo poo, it actually has a Serbian option in the language settings. Hoping against hope it's actually good.

e2: boooooo

It doesn't support a bunch of our letters.

e3: It's a sloppy, partial translation, and may even be a machine one. :(

e4: Game works

my dad has issued a correction as of 12:34 on Sep 14, 2023

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
One thing that took me a while to figure out about rail distribution is that the settings are thresholds for dispatch, not fill targets. The office always wants to build the biggest train it can and load it with as much as it can.

For example a station holds 1,000 tons of material and is set to fill at 50%. When it has less than 500 tons stored a train will be built to deliver up to 500 tons. Whether it actually brings 500 tons depends on how much the wagons of a DO length train (~435m?) can hold and how much stuff the valid source stations have. After delivery the station will probably be over 50% full so another train won't be sent until it dips under again.

Source stations will be emptied of up to 500 tons but are considered valid if they're over their threshold % setting regardless of how much stuff is stored. DO trains will empty sources if they can.

Rail DOs can build trains to carry multiple types of resources and will do so if both source and destination have valid thresholds.

So when you're configuring DOs to be efficient you should consider how much a train can move and how much buffer you need for delivery and size storage appropriately. Likewise if you're storing stuff that's needed in multiple places set the threshold for pickup high enough that the train can't clear out your entire central food warehouse or whatever.

Or just build big and soak the cost, you're not a capitalist and just in time gravel is a decadent western concept.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I fell asleep reading the Ukraine thread and had a dream that W&R had a munitions DLC where you could set up production of small arms, ammunition, shells, and all the way up to tanks. No on-map utility but they're there for export and for the logistical challenge of shipping steel and aluminum and chemicals and explosives etc etc

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

If w&r had shell production plants FF would just stop going outside entirely

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

I fell asleep reading the Ukraine thread

sweet dream but bruh...

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cuttlefush posted:

sweet dream but bruh...

you try making through a book post

ZZZZzzzzzzz.......

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slavvy posted:

I feel like Soviet style shell production is pretty straightforward - just make lots.

Tinkering with the paraffin wax supply chain though, that would be a pickle.

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Wasn't aware W&R could run off a phone.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

BadOptics posted:

Wasn't aware W&R could run off a phone.

Let me install shadow so I can run a gaming PC on my phone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Frosted Flake posted:

Let me install shadow so I can run a gaming PC on my phone.

GeForce Now is cheaper

Minenfeld!
Aug 21, 2012

Playing W&R on a phone sounds like the worst thing possible.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Slavvy posted:

First man to be kicked out of the military for a non War Thunder videogame

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Leaking shell production figures to the devs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

gradenko_2000 posted:

Leaking shell production figures to the devs

the workers and resources devs seem like they'd already have the correct figures and may or may not have set up a factory themselves