Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mr. Apollo posted:

Eastern Europe: we don't know that this is racist yet

Nice one! Can we get that as thread title please? The last one was set by cinci ages ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Mokotow posted:

Nice one! Can we get that as thread title please? The last one was set by cinci ages ago

saw this, reached for the report button to inform the subforum mods

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Спасибо

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Deputy FA minister who allegedly organized visas for cash program for African/Asian immigrants, has attempted suicide today after being ousted from the government and in no uncertain terms blamed for potential bad election outcome for pis.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
A quick search shows PiS being projected to be the strongest party again, is there any real hope they get ousted?

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Torrannor posted:

A quick search shows PiS being projected to be the strongest party again, is there any real hope they get ousted?

Only once the party implodes due to its internal politics, which is unlikely to happen as long as Kaczyński is alive and politically active (this is not an investment advice).

Even if we crossed the threshold for some minority government shenanigans, there are still useful idiots (PSL, Konfederacja) happy to make a deal with them and get devoured like everyone who tried it earlier. So that would be more of a hopeful symptom of possibly ever weakening rather than any real change.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

They are likely to have a slim majority which will not be enough to rule without a coalition. The opposition winning is also still on the table as margins are slim.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

They will win, with luck with no chance to rule by themselves. There are at least two parties which could form a government with them if cajoled enough (far right randists and pis light agrarianists).

The other option is that po/ko, however they call themselves, will be able to form a coalition government with two of the following:
a) far right randists
b) pis light agrarianists
c) more or less leftists

it would be either a+b or b+c (a+c being a big no-no for the left)

There is at the moment no chance that po would be able to form a majority government with only one of the above parties. In any case, efforts to reverse the damage done by pis to Poland in the last years will be thwarted by having the idiot with veto powers for a few years in office still.

Last option (and my preference) is minority government by whomever and redoing elections until a viable result is achieved. I think we, as a country, need this.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ever wondered what attempting a rocket jump IRL would look like? Wonder no more! Leaked photos show the result of the Polish Policja commissioner playing around with a launcher he brought back from a Ukraine visit. Photos were kept confidential, as his defense was he was given an old launcher turned into a Bluetooth speaker, and you can clearly see that no, it was a weapon and you could clearly see it. Curiously, there seems to be more weapons in the background. How no one died and the only injuries suffered was to the commissioner's hearing is a mystery,

https://www.onet.pl/informacje/onetwiadomosci/krzysztof-brejza-ujawnil-zdjecia-z-wybuchu-granatnika-w-kgp/6d4bhnm,79cfc278

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Mokotow posted:

Ever wondered what attempting a rocket jump IRL would look like? Wonder no more! Leaked photos show the result of the Polish Policja commissioner playing around with a launcher he brought back from a Ukraine visit. Photos were kept confidential, as his defense was he was given an old launcher turned into a Bluetooth speaker, and you can clearly see that no, it was a weapon and you could clearly see it. Curiously, there seems to be more weapons in the background. How no one died and the only injuries suffered was to the commissioner's hearing is a mystery,

https://www.onet.pl/informacje/onetwiadomosci/krzysztof-brejza-ujawnil-zdjecia-z-wybuchu-granatnika-w-kgp/6d4bhnm,79cfc278

I don't know, the photos clearly confirm it was a boombox (or a boomtube).

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

In Estonia, supposedly defence league volunteers were allowed to keep weapons at home until during a drinking session someone decided to fire a similar weapon out of their window without thinking about needing an open safety zone in the back. After that, no more weapons at home. At least that was the rumor I heard while doing my conscription service.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Was it presented as a ghetto blaster?

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraine-will-sue-poland-hungary-and-slovakia-over-agricultural-bans/

I honestly don't know what to think about this whole situation. Sure, Hungary government is Putin's puppet, Slovakia government tries to be one and Poland's government is just really loving stupid and really loves to piss off its neighbors and EU, that I know. But on the other hand, price dumping prevention doesn't sound that bad and argument about "global prices" is just bad. I'm confused.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Wheat products are super expensive this summer, so as a consumer I’d welcome some relief there. It seems though PiS is trying to get as much farmer votes as possible, and protecting high wheat prices is a more attractive proposition than making the KO-boting middle-class happy.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
As far as I understand the situation, Ukrainian grain regularly fails inspections of EU standards, so it can't be sold in the EU. If it still makes it to store shelves instead of being passed through, there's a problem. I'm not convinced the problem is with Ukraine (beyond the fact that pesticide use is not in line with EU standards).

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
EU just dropped a wide range of pesticide limits to the floor, which may be a factor- I can’t check atm if grain was covered.

Szarrukin
Sep 29, 2021
Ukraine decided to ban import of vegetables and fruits from Poland. That's certainly a decision.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It's just protectionist dickwaving in response to Poland's protectionist dickwaving. Seems like they're working to resolve this.

In other news, very normal things in Kosovo:

quote:

Security forces have surrounded at least 30 armed gunmen hours after a police officer was shot dead in Kosovo, the country's prime minister says.

Albin Kurti said the group was in a monastery in the northern village of Banjska and urged them to surrender.

Mr Kurti has accused Serbia of backing what he called a "terrorist attack" that also injured another officer.

Tensions have run high in Kosovo, after violent clashes followed a disputed local election in May.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66905091

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
https://tvrepublika.pl/Oferta-z-Berlina-i-Paryza-dla-Zelenskiego-wejdziecie-do-UE-ale-pomozecie-w-obaleniu-polskiego-rzadu,150707.html

Extremely normal.

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

Take the offer, Zelensky, please…

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Ah, the rare anti-EU/anti-Ukraine but totally not Russian propaganda

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
Ukraine having to take care of all of EU's problems, first German gas dependence, now this :sigh:

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Isn't Republika the far-right tv station?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Yes

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
They're so bad they had me on once

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Mars niepodległości interviewee?

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Mokotow posted:

As a fan of Mechanicus, I'd also support Independent Mars :v:

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

That would explain the "Tusk thinks in English, not Polish" article.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

post fox news next

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Mokotow posted:

No, they had me on the morning culture programme to talk about a book.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Feeling very conflicted about this news

Like, literally the old Pro/Con in Mag Magazine

Pro: Goon gets invited to TV show to talk about book!
Con: Its TV Republika!

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

What’s going on in the Balkans? The US is saying that Serbia has an “unprecedented buildup” of its armed forces along the border with Kosovo and is urging Serbia to pull back. Britain has sent troops to bolster the KFOR troops there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66968021

quote:

US urges Serbia to withdraw troops from Kosovo border as tensions rise

The US is urging Serbia to withdraw what it says is a large military build-up on the country’s border with Kosovo.

In the past months, tensions have been rising between Kosovo's minority ethnic Serb and majority Albanian communities.

In response to the "current situation", the UK said it was sending troops to join Nato peacekeepers there.

The military alliance said it was ready to increase its forces following a stand-off at a monastery in the north last Sunday in which four people died.

Speaking on Friday, White House National Security Council spokesperson John Kirby described the "large military deployment" of sophisticated tanks and artillery as "a very destabilising development".

"It's worrisome. It doesn't look like just a bunch of guys who got together to do this," Mr Kirby said.

"We are calling on Serbia to withdraw those forces from the border."

Mr Kirby said the build-up of troops had happened within the last week, but its purpose was not yet clear.

He added that US Secretary of State Antony Blinken had telephoned Serbian President Aleksandar Vucic to urge "immediate de-escalation and a return to dialogue".

Mr Kirby also said that US National Security Adviser Jake Sullivan spoke to Kosovo's Prime Minister, Albin Kurti.

Mr Vucic has not directly denied there has been a recent build-up of troops but rejected claims that his country's forces were on alert.

"I have denied untruths where they talk about the highest level of combat readiness of our forces, because I simply did not sign that and it is not accurate," Mr Vucic said.

"We don't even have half the troops we had two or three months ago."

Strained tensions between the two countries were inflamed on Sunday after a Kosovan policeman and three ethnic Serbian gunmen died during a siege of a Serbian Orthodox monastery in Banjska village on Sunday.

Kosovo's government accused Serbia's government of backing the incident.

On Friday, Milan Radoicic, the vice president of Serb List, the main Kosovo-Serb political party, resigned after admitting to organising the armed group. However, he denied receiving any help from Belgrade.

The deadly clash marks one of the gravest escalations in Kosovo for years, and follows months of mounting tension between the two sides.

After the break-up of Yugoslavia in the 1990s, Kosovo - a province of the former country - sought independence.

Serbia responded with a brutal crackdown against ethnic Albanians.

This ended in 1999 with a Nato bombing campaign against Serbia, between March and June.

Serbian forces withdrew from Kosovo - but for many Kosovo Albanians and Serbs, the conflict has never been resolved.

Kosovo declared independence in 2008 but Serbia - along with Belgrade's key allies China and Russia - does not recognise it.

Many Serbs consider it the birthplace of their nation. But of the 1.8 million people living in Kosovo, 92% are ethnic Albanians and only 6% are ethnic Serbs.

As tensions continue to rise, Nato chief Jens Stoltenberg said on Thursday that he had "authorised additional forces to address the current situation".

It is the second time in three months that Nato has bolstered its forces in the country.

There are currently around 4,500 Nato-led Kosovo Force (KFor) personnel stationed in the country.

On Friday, the UK's Ministry of Defence (MoD) said it had made a battalion of between 500 and 650 troops available to KFor.

The MoD said the troops had recently arrived in the region for long-planned exercises.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Mr. Apollo posted:

What’s going on in the Balkans? The US is saying that Serbia has an “unprecedented buildup” of its armed forces along the border with Kosovo and is urging Serbia to pull back. Britain has sent troops to bolster the KFOR troops there.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-66968021

Whenever there's saber-rattling that involves Serbia, my response is that nothing will happen. No war, at least. Vucic is the "always a crisis, never a war" ruler who draws strength from paranoia and siege mentality. He's also good at balancing between the EU, Russia, and China. However, he'd collapse in no time if he actually started an armed conflict. Serbia is no Russia. The EU is by far Serbia's largest trade partner and its sanctions would kill the economy. And while nationalism is strong in Serbia, memories of lost wars in the nineties are fresh. It's one thing to vote for Vucic or spray KOSOVO IS SERBIA on the wall, quite another to go there to die.

As for the recent skirmish, I don't know what happened. It doesn't make much sense. If Vucic wanted to stir some poo poo up, he only needed a few people to set up explosives or shoot at some cars or whatever. Effective and low risk. You can always say it was individuals acting on their own or foreign agents. On the other hand, if you wanted actual territorial gains and a major change of regional situation, he needed a major operation. This falls in between. There were 30 Serb combatants, they killed an Albanian policeman and got their asses kicked. They suffered casualties, they lost weapons and equipment, the West is furious, and Vucic had to try to convince them he knew nothing about it and that it was somehow Albanians' fault. That's hard to sell since it's widely accepted that Kosovo Serbs are directly controlled by him.

I don't see what was in it for Vucic but I predict it will end as always. He'll appear in his media as a tortured statesman who gave it all, who sacrificed his health, who endured enormous, unimaginable pressure, who held the destiny of Serbia by a thread, who fought all those who wish Serbia to collapse, and they are many, and they are both within and outside of Serbian borders, and he finally saved the country and the entire region, if not Europe as such, from falling into abyss. And there'll be peace... until the next time.

Note that it's not so one-sided, in May it was Kosovo Albanians who escalated the situation and tried to take the Serbian-majority region of Kosovo against previous agreements.

Doctor Malaver fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 1, 2023

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
I sent my post to an acquaintance in Serbia who's a polsci lecturer and a media pundit and he okayed it. He had this to add...

It was probably more than 30 people. Eyewitness accounts say the village where the skirmish took place looks like Bosnia 1995. And it's interesting that the Serb combatants were allowed to leave despite being surrounded. Presumably, a deal was brokered between Albanian and Serbian mafia. Everybody knows that Kosovo, both Albanian and Serbian parts is run by various criminal groups. Radoicic, the leader of the combatants and of the Serb Kosovo political party is of course in it too.

There can be no major armed conflict because International peacekeepers (KFOR) are present.

It looks like the US decided to put an end to this poo poo, still unclear how. Vucic and Rama (prime minister of Albania) are asking for stronger KFOR involvement, which doesn't suit Kurti (prime minister of Kosovo).

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
People are saying that its a leftist party that's about to take power in Slovakia, is that true?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

khwarezm posted:

People are saying that its a leftist party that's about to take power in Slovakia, is that true?

Socially conservative pro-genocide "leftists", yes.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

khwarezm posted:

No.

If you mean SMER that won the most votes in recent elections, they are to the right of Fidesz and PiS.

Find the people who are saying SMER is leftist, and start throwing bricks at them.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
They are left in the sense that they are a party built on euroskeptic populism and use leftist critiques of neoliberal policies. They are right-wing in the sense that they are a pro-Russian party that dominated Slovak politics from 2004 to 2020, have huge issues with corruption and rule of law, and a lot of anti(LQBTQ, Romani, Islamic, and immigrant) policies.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
They're really social democrats in name only.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
NSDAP was famously a leftist party