Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/1702637983390638398

I'm hoping this winds up being used against him in court.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

CBJSprague24 posted:

https://twitter.com/MeetThePress/status/1702637983390638398

I'm hoping this winds up being used against him in court.

It likely will. This is practically free fodder for the prosecution to call him out when he's on the stand. Being able to cast doubt on his truthfulness on the stand is super useful.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

CommieGIR posted:

It likely will. This is practically free fodder for the prosecution to call him out when he's on the stand. Being able to cast doubt on his truthfulness on the stand is super useful.

Lol….. cast doubt. He’s literally an elemental from the plane of Lying. I doubt they would need any additional fodder by now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also, he may have confessed in an interview yesterday because he cannot process that he did anything wrong.

https://twitter.com/AccountableGOP/status/1702384515207897396?s=20

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned

lightpole posted:

Youll have to take my 2015 Lexus with 100k miles made in the USA from my cold dead hands. Paid off, never encountered so much as a wiper fluid warning light. Extended warranty just expired based on time, unlimited drive train miles.

2005 with 145k miles here. I've had to have work done on it (radiator had a crack and went out on the LA freeway, ask me about a head gasket blowing because traffic and not being able to get off freeway quick) and all that means is I will drive it 10 more years instead of 5 like I originally planned.

Lexus is tight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Crab Dad posted:

Lol….. cast doubt. He’s literally an elemental from the plane of Lying. I doubt they would need any additional fodder by now.

Its especially useful because its talking about the very thing he is going to court over.

Cythereal posted:

Also, he may have confessed in an interview yesterday because he cannot process that he did anything wrong.

Oh no, that's the best part - he CAN process that he did wrong. He knows. He admitted himself in interviews/discussions captured in the indictment. He knows. He's just playing with attempts to appeal to public opinion.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Meanwhile, with his opponent:

https://twitter.com/JoeBiden/status/1702676142132752596?t=3VHqrDexxCXqA2QTGIAMww&s=19

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

shame on an IGA posted:

hey remember that time the Hyundai plant in Alabama got caught with a bunch of 14 year olds working the graveyard shift

I used to work for a MegaCorp reading human rights audit reports for overseas factories, performative nonsense & everyone knew it was just to check a box & weed out the ridiculous offenders. Every factory had two weeks notice minimum so any kids were kept home the morning of the audit, although some foolish owners refused to accept this slight drop in productivity & would stash them in the boiler room which when discovered meant no more orders.

It was interesting to hear stories from our auditors as they’d seen a lot, I did not know a business existed that made people into Christmas trees. Well, to be fair the guy fell in the boiling plastic & they had to throw the batch out but still.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I used to work for a MegaCorp reading human rights audit reports for overseas factories, performative nonsense & everyone knew it was just to check a box & weed out the ridiculous offenders. Every factory had two weeks notice minimum so any kids were kept home the morning of the audit, although some foolish owners refused to accept this slight drop in productivity & would stash them in the boiler room which when discovered meant no more orders.

It was interesting to hear stories from our auditors as they’d seen a lot, I did not know a business existed that made people into Christmas trees. Well, to be fair the guy fell in the boiling plastic & they had to throw the batch out but still.

This post uh… went some places, goddamn.

Related: https://ohsonline.com/articles/2023/09/08/wisconsin-sawmill-adheres-to-child-labor-laws-after-teen-workers-death.aspx?m=1

“This investigation also uncovered revealed the company had employed nine underage children to illegally operate hazardous machinery and seven 14- and 15-year-olds to work outside legal hours. Three workers ages 15 and 16 sustained injuries between November 2021 and March 2023, with one injured twice. Following the worker’s death, the company promptly terminated all employees under the age of 18.”

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Hyrax Attack! posted:

I should not have chuckled at this post because nothing about it is funny.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

too bad joe isn't actually this cool, kinda comes with electing an 80 year old

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Normally.

However, I’m not sure if it should be called the Chewbacca defense or shooting the moon but if any human that has ever existed can get acquitted by lying on the stand it’s Trump.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

maffew buildings posted:

2005 with 145k miles here. I've had to have work done on it (radiator had a crack and went out on the LA freeway, ask me about a head gasket blowing because traffic and not being able to get off freeway quick) and all that means is I will drive it 10 more years instead of 5 like I originally planned.

Lexus is tight.

There's a legit Lexus/Toyota tax on used cars. There are a few models I wanted but the prices are just too much even in the current market. So I grabbed a 5 year BMW 330i for the same price a 10 year old camry hybrid with 150k miles would have cost me. It's gonna take more maintenance to keep going but I just couldn't make myself pay the prices I've seen.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

shame on an IGA posted:

hey remember that time the Hyundai plant in Alabama got caught with a bunch of 14 year olds working the graveyard shift

funny, graveyard shift is what those kids call school

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
https://twitter.com/moreperfectus/status/1702672916842713496?s=46

it's fascinating to me that we're even seeing this amount of pushback, literally anything, instead of open outright fealty to the executives. i hope the union workers get everything they want and then some

facialimpediment posted:

Depending on the source in quick googling, labor is anywhere from 5-15% of the cost of a vehicle. That's why the UAW head is saying "hey, double our pay and you still make billions, gently caress you".

I immediately make farting noises when I hear CEO-style arguments about competitive labor rates. Somehow, that argument is always used to successfully argue for or reduce blue-collar hourly wages but somehow never end up cutting CEO pay or reducing the company's amount of stock buybacks. Until CEO and executive level pay starts massively deflating down, I couldn't give a flying gently caress about unionized versus nonunion versus cheap labor rates - it misses the problem.

Sorta the same deal with the writers' strikes. The CEOs and studio heads would rather lose $500M than give the writers their $300M asking cost. Then they'll bark about the unreasonableness of the proposal in the trade papers. gently caress 'em, don't even engage in the math unless they're deflating their own salaries too.

it's because if you let pesky labor have an inch they'll want a mile. if you let people learn that better things are possible then they'll actually demand better things.

if you just shoot your operations in the foot instead, you still make bank but you ensure nobody else gets poo poo.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Zamujasa posted:

it's fascinating to me that we're even seeing this amount of pushback, literally anything, instead of open outright fealty to the executives. i hope the union workers get everything they want and then some

One thing that never occurred to me until I saw it: the media is going through their version of this too. The newspaper companies and media conglomerates have had a few decades of being bought out by vulture hedge funds, stripped for parts, then closed out. The regular reporters are getting even worse pay while said vulture CEOs keep getting multimillion salaries plus options.

So, in the past where the media might've been more credulous of the CEO statements, they've wised up. Those media members heard those same arguments before in their own lives, so their bullshit detectors are finally going off.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

That Works posted:

Just not seeing a lot of big 3 cars 5-10 yrs old with 150k miles on them still going strong vs Toyota, Honda etc.

:shrug: I had a 2002 Taurus and a 2005 Five Hundred that I drove to well over 160k, my dad had a 2007 Freestyle that got over 330k, and I think he passed 250k on his 2013 Edge not too long ago.

All anecdotal, but eh, I like Fords, never had a problem with mine.

Richard Bong
Dec 11, 2008
I had a 97 S10 that made it to 20 years and 150k and currently have a 2014 spark that is about to hit 100k.

My first car was an 03 focus that made it to 115k while being ABUSED. Even then it was just a harness issue.

The only American cars I’ll really poo poo on are Chrysler/dodge. And half of that is because they seem to attract the worst drivers of all time, second only to Nissan.

Of course I also have an 86 Porsche 944 with 215k on it when they odometer broke and it’s pushing 220 now, I think.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Cythereal posted:

https://twitter.com/KevinlyFather/status/1702398553426108520

:allears:

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

facialimpediment posted:

Yeah, my argument since I was a kid was always "if things are equivalent, buy American". Big 3 cars used to be absolutely poo poo quality, now they're much closer to equal.

One big thing to be wary of - strike-produced vehicles may have lots of oversight issues that assembly workers missed or hosed up. There may be minimal truth to that, but once the strike resolves, you may still want to wait for those cars to clear the dealer lots.

Counterpoint: a bunch of these parts are going to be dialed in. Tolerance is +- .005?

Hold one decimal to the right

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

facialimpediment posted:

Depending on the source in quick googling, labor is anywhere from 5-15% of the cost of a vehicle. That's why the UAW head is saying "hey, double our pay and you still make billions, gently caress you".

I immediately make farting noises when I hear CEO-style arguments about competitive labor rates. Somehow, that argument is always used to successfully argue for or reduce blue-collar hourly wages but somehow never end up cutting CEO pay or reducing the company's amount of stock buybacks. Until CEO and executive level pay starts massively deflating down, I couldn't give a flying gently caress about unionized versus nonunion versus cheap labor rates - it misses the problem.

Sorta the same deal with the writers' strikes. The CEOs and studio heads would rather lose $500M than give the writers their $300M asking cost. Then they'll bark about the unreasonableness of the proposal in the trade papers. gently caress 'em, don't even engage in the math unless they're deflating their own salaries too.

The combined revenue of the big 3 is ~$485B, if direct labor is 5-15% then we're talking about ~$24-72B

A 65% increase in direct labor costs (32%*5%*5% for the requested raise, /.8 for the working hours reduction without pay reduction) is an increase of ~$16-47B in costs.

You could double the CEOs compensation and it would be a drop in the bucket. The people who actually own these companies are willing to pay them millions because they make decisions that impact their profit by the tens of billions.

I don't have a side here and I don't like anything made by the big three, but if you don't engage with the math you've already lost. I'm a little annoyed that a lot of what the union is doing is directly aimed at trying to stifle the expansion of EVs, but from a purely strategic point of view I think if the UAW gets everything they are asking for it will probably have the opposite effect long-term.

I could care less about labor vs management moralizing. I don't identify with either, I'm just looking at the math and strategy.

The caveat to all this is of course we don't know what the UAWs actual settlement range is. This could just be a balls to the wall aggressive negotiating strategy. I'm just commenting on the demands at face value.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
That entire post is founded around taking a quick google result of a car's expense, extrapolating that into the entire revenue stream for all companies, and it goes further off the rails from there.

It's an assumption built on an assumption built on an assumption.

You also need to consider that they've been getting a poo poo deal for a long while:

quote:

Adjusting for inflation, autoworkers have seen their average wages fall 19.3% since 2008, according to Adam Hersh, senior economist at the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute. That's because autoworker "concessions made following the 2008 auto industry crisis were never reinstated," Hersh said in a recent blog post, "including a suspension of cost-of-living adjustments."

Meanwhile,

quote:

How much money do the Big Three automaker CEOs make?
Ford CEO Jim Farley earned $21 million in total compensation last year, the Detroit News reported, while Stellantis CEO Carlos Tavares made $24.8 million, according to the Detroit Free Press (Stellantis, which was formed in 2021 in a merger between Fiat Chrysler and European automaker Groupe PSA, owns Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and RAM, along with major foreign brands including Citroën, Peugeot and Maserati.)

GM CEO Mary Barras earned nearly $29 million in 2022 pay, Automotive News reported.

Overall CEO pay at the Big Three companies rose 40% from 2013 to 2022, according to EPI.

Barras makes 362 times more than the typical GM worker, while Tavares makes 365 times more, according to company filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Farley at Ford makes 281 times more, filings show.

I'm willing to take a side on this one, and it's gently caress the owners.

Pine Cone Jones
Dec 6, 2009

You throw me the acorn, I throw you the whip!

Zamujasa posted:

That entire post is founded around taking a quick google result of a car's expense, extrapolating that into the entire revenue stream for all companies, and it goes further off the rails from there.

It's an assumption built on an assumption built on an assumption.

You also need to consider that they've been getting a poo poo deal for a long while:

Meanwhile,

all ceos must loving hang

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Counterpoint: a bunch of these parts are going to be dialed in. Tolerance is +- .005?

Hold one decimal to the right

What I'm more getting at is two coworker stories that happened over the years with brand-new Ford trucks.

Coworker 1 couldn't move the truck out of the driveway the day after he bought it. Turns out, the transmission was basically hosed because the transmission drain plug (or whatever the equivalent problem was) came out as he was driving home.
Coworker 2 had severe engine problems a few months after he bought it and brought the truck into the dealer for warranty work. After about a month of back/forths between the dealer and corporate, Ford Corporate finally authorized the dealership tech to drop the oil pan - revealing many shiny bits related to a piston loving up.

There are going to be a lot more factory floor oversights in the plants still working and a lot more communication issues and delays with everything else.

And The Math is almost always complicated and skewed towards a particular outcome. That particular outcome is almost always shafting workers, as I've almost never seen CEO Math add up to "hey we should pay workers way more". Therefore:

Zamujasa posted:

Pine Cone Jones posted:

all ceos must loving hang

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Yeah, I think everybody here knows that there are a lot more low, paying employees and a raise to them of even a few percent is worth a lot more money than most of the executive salaries packages.

What they’re not explaining is why the executive percentage raises are substantially higher than the workers percentage raises.

If they both had an equal proportional, raise when the company was successful That would make a little more sense.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lol just white trash poo poo

https://x.com/KyleClark/status/1702498583755538598?s=20

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
my "Im not moralizing and Im not picking a side" shirt has people asking lots of questions already answered by my shirt

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Jarmak posted:

The combined revenue of the big 3 is ~$485B, if direct labor is 5-15% then we're talking about ~$24-72B

A 65% increase in direct labor costs (32%*5%*5% for the requested raise, /.8 for the working hours reduction without pay reduction) is an increase of ~$16-47B in costs.

You could double the CEOs compensation and it would be a drop in the bucket. The people who actually own these companies are willing to pay them millions because they make decisions that impact their profit by the tens of billions.

I don't have a side here and I don't like anything made by the big three, but if you don't engage with the math you've already lost. I'm a little annoyed that a lot of what the union is doing is directly aimed at trying to stifle the expansion of EVs, but from a purely strategic point of view I think if the UAW gets everything they are asking for it will probably have the opposite effect long-term.

I could care less about labor vs management moralizing. I don't identify with either, I'm just looking at the math and strategy.

The caveat to all this is of course we don't know what the UAWs actual settlement range is. This could just be a balls to the wall aggressive negotiating strategy. I'm just commenting on the demands at face value.

This is what you're looking for op

This is one of those things where you have to pick sides.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 15, 2023

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

At about 0:35 here, you could tell the narrator has Perfect Local News Reporter voice for narrating the groping.

And holy poo poo that really is some serious white trash poo poo right there. Even the escorted walk-out was almost exact to the stereotype.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Worst Person You Know.jpeg

quote:

Speaking to reporters on Capitol Hill after the announcement, Romney said it would be a “great thing if both President Biden and former president Trump were to stand aside and let their respective party pick someone in the next generation”.

“President Biden said he was a transitional figure in the next generation. Well, time to transition,” Romney said.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I promise you that neither Trump nor Biden (technically not a boomer) are going to be the last Boomer president.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That Works posted:

The Bolt EVs are supposed to be pretty great tho so of course they got canceled.

Good news! They're uncancelled! There'll probably be a year gap in production, but they've said they'll release a new Bolt on their Ultium platform, which should be cheaper, and eliminate some of the current gripes about the Bolt, such as its slow charging speed.

Bad news is GM is planning on doing away with CarPlay and AA, and replacing it with some homegrown subscription bullshit.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1702788280289214491?t=BmdhMm-hTyt8mPNMpyyAjA&s=19

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Here's the PDF that was linked, and yes, it is full of Trump's Truth! posts :allears:

quote:

The defendant’s past conduct, including conduct that has taken place after and as a direct
result of the indictment in this case, amply demonstrates the need for this order. As illustrated by
the examples discussed above, the defendant’s statements reasonably could have a material impact
on the impartiality of the jury pool while simultaneously influencing witness testimony. The
defendant’s repeated posts that he cannot receive a fair trial from this Court or from a jury of his
peers in this District are substantially likely to undermine confidence in the justice system, affect
the jury pool, or otherwise prejudice the due administration of justice. His misleading statements
regarding the Special Counsel’s Office and its investigation are designed to do the same. And his
targeting of specific witnesses seeks to either bolster or impeach witnesses not before this Court
but instead in the court of public opinion before trial begins.

Wrong Theory
Aug 27, 2005

Satellite from days of old, lead me to your access code
:sigh: I guess I will be the devil's advocate for the Big 3.

Son, we live in a world that has boards, and those boards have to be controlled by us rich narcissists. Who's gonna do it? You? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for the UAW and you curse the CEOs. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know, that the UAW's lovely pay, while tragic, probably saved yachts and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, gets us more stock options.

I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to the UAW who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very pay that I provide and then question the amount that is provided.

I would rather you just said "thank you" and never interacted with me again. Otherwise, I suggest you grab a picket sign and stand in line.

Wait, that's what they're doing? poo poo.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

Zamujasa posted:

Here's the PDF that was linked, and yes, it is full of Trump's Truth! posts :allears:

Somebody's grumpy!

https://twitter.com/RonFilipkowski/status/1702813632319340694?t=LI4pLc9ytiKOCSoTuKq_9Q&s=19

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

source your quotes, friend

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

goatsestretchgoals posted:

source your quotes, friend

You want the source? You can't handle the source!

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

all telegram makes goatse an angry boy

E: hell yeah iOS, it’s not autocorrecting goatse, just putting a red line under it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cult_hero
Jul 10, 2001

What's in her vape? The people have a right to know!