Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Torquemada posted:

Isn't it her the hypersleep pod glass that transitions into Earth's atmosphere? Her face is obviously visible under it.

Maybe. My only reason for bringing it up is it's such a deliberate shot, with intended meaning.

Ripley represents Mother Earth.

And this theme continues with Newt. And the dark counterpart - the Alien Queen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

redshirt posted:

Maybe. My only reason for bringing it up is it's such a deliberate shot, with intended meaning.

Ripley represents Mother Earth.

And this theme continues with Newt. And the dark counterpart - the Alien Queen.

https://youtu.be/lOews0rN1Uc?si=I4E0AmZt4G-s4cau

It's visible in the last frame of this video.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Torquemada posted:

https://youtu.be/lOews0rN1Uc?si=I4E0AmZt4G-s4cau

It's visible in the last frame of this video.

I don't think it has all of that hidden meaning redshirt was saying.

I think it just means, hey look, Ripley finally made it back home! (for now)

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Pennywise the Frown posted:

I don't think it has all of that hidden meaning redshirt was saying.

I think it just means, hey look, Ripley finally made it back home! (for now)

Why include it then? Each composition choice is the result of lots of decisions.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

Why include it then? Each composition choice is the result of lots of decisions.

Because it's a great shot.

They barely talk about earth in all of the movies combined so I don't see ascribing some sort of apparent value it has onto Ripley. Earth could be a shithole in that universe which is why you never see it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Because it's a great shot.

Shots have meaning.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

redshirt posted:

Shots have meaning.

They barely talk about earth in all of the movies combined so I don't see ascribing some sort of apparent value it has onto Ripley. Earth could be a shithole in that universe which is why you never see it.

And the meaning I put on it is that she is finally home. That's meaningful after her previous affair.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's left vague if Ripley actually was on Earth between her hearing with WT's board & when she agrees to go back out with the Colonial Marines. All we see is her windowless living space & know she works on the space docks, so it's a 50/50 tossup if she's still in that space station or on Earth loading up ships going into space.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I was under the impression that she was just on a space station orbiting earth.

We don't see actual Earth until AvP/2 and Prometheus (I think). But those are all prequels.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

We don't see actual Earth until AvP/2 and Prometheus (I think). But those are all prequels.

Unfortunately on the Quadrilogy/Anthology releases we do also....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnmMksVK8pY

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

It might not even be Earth. The transition shot shows her as a "Mother Earth".

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think one of the alieb vs predator vs terminator comics is a sequel to resurrection, it wasn't very good.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Azubah posted:

I think one of the alieb vs predator vs terminator comics is a sequel to resurrection, it wasn't very good.

Yeah it’s like the only Aliens comic I don’t have in its entirety because it’s so bad. The completionist in me rears its ugly head once in a while and says “you should buy the issues you’re missing” and then I re-read what I’ve got and say “yeah hell no”.

I haven’t read any of the Marvel stuff yet, and I’m not entirely sure I want to.

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Okay I need someone in this thread to talk me out of getting a Jonesy portrait tattoo, thanks in advance.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Modal Auxiliary posted:

Okay I need someone in this thread to talk me out of getting a Jonesy portrait tattoo, thanks in advance.

It's just a Cat tattoo, could be any cat.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Modal Auxiliary posted:

No.

:colbert:

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

This is fabulous.

Imagine how tiny the chestbursters would be!

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Mad Hamish posted:

This is fabulous.

Imagine how tiny the chestbursters would be!

Now I'm picturing a movie where someone's just caught some shrimp and a chestburster pops out of one of them

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Now I'm picturing a movie where someone's just caught some shrimp and a chestburster pops out of one of them

Mmm, shrimp and Xenos!

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Is there an upper / lower limit to the size of a host? Like, I'm sure there would be logistical problems if a facehugger tried ovipositing in an elephant or something, wouldn't there?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mad Hamish posted:

Is there an upper / lower limit to the size of a host? Like, I'm sure there would be logistical problems if a facehugger tried ovipositing in an elephant or something, wouldn't there?

This is an Aliens question I'd like to know.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

I think there was a comic that (ironically) said the smallest viable host was a cat, or something similar-sized. There was also another that had aquatic xenomorphs born from something shark-like, so I’m not so sure about the upper bounds.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Icon Of Sin posted:

I think there was a comic that (ironically) said the smallest viable host was a cat, or something similar-sized. There was also another that had aquatic xenomorphs born from something shark-like, so I’m not so sure about the upper bounds.

God drat fuckin Xenos.....

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
In Alien3 a xeno comes out of a medium-sized dog (or an ox if you watched the Assembly Cut).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Oh, it was a crustacean and not a shark. Proving once again that in the end, ALL IS CRAB.

https://avp.fandom.com/wiki/Swimming_Alien

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I propose we ban all Xenos, in all regards.

There is no safe use of them.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
What happens if a facehugger impregnates another adult alien? Is that where queens come from?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

And the meaning I put on it is that she is finally home. That's meaningful after her previous affair.

I think the "Mother" in Mother Earth might be the more important part. Basically Ripley -> Earth -> Nature -> Birth -> Babies -> Love -> Life -> Health -> Survival etc.

I dunno if Cameron or anyone really thought specifically "Ripley represents Mother Earth" (especially since at this specific point in the series the only "Mother" had a decidedly negative connotation) and I definitely think it was an aesthetic decision first and foremost but I can see that dissolve trying to get us to mentally associate our heroine with an image life, abundance, babies, positive vibes and the like.

Wifi Toilet
Oct 1, 2004

Toilet Rascal

Android Apocalypse posted:

In Alien3 a xeno comes out of a medium-sized dog (or an ox if you watched the Assembly Cut).

Yeah, but that one was adorable.

Maybe the smaller the host, the cuter the xeno gets?

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ChairmanMauzer posted:

What happens if a facehugger impregnates another adult alien? Is that where queens come from?

Queens come about in a few ways.

The most common method is they’re born from a special facehugger that produces a Queen embryo. Those either come from a purpose-laid egg from another Queen (this is where Ripley’s Queen embryo came from), or a regular Alien captures a victim and “egg-morphs” them into a Queen-producing egg (this is what happened to Dallas in the Alien director’s cut).

Alternately, a Praetorian (think of them like mini-Queens that can’t lay eggs but guard the hive) can evolve into a Queen.

tl;dr: they have options

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
i wish AvP had been better. it could have been loving great!

just saw a deleted scene where Scar is dressing his xeno kill, and after making sure the human is watching him, he presses something that makes the xeno little mouth shoot out; human woman kinda screams and jumps back, and the Predator loving laughs, real quiet.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Cowslips Warren posted:

i wish AvP had been better. it could have been loving great!

just saw a deleted scene where Scar is dressing his xeno kill, and after making sure the human is watching him, he presses something that makes the xeno little mouth shoot out; human woman kinda screams and jumps back, and the Predator loving laughs, real quiet.

You and I saw a very different Lion King Movie

Zazamoot
Apr 2, 2005
I'm thinking about how the first movie had themes of technology intruding into humanity in this really menacing way, and how the subsequent films never really picked this up again beyond "corporations bad/stupid".

In Alien, Muthur births these poor schlubs from its hypersleep wombs in outer space, totally detached from any other human reference or structure but their lovely economic function; cogs in the machine. Ash is corporate technology masquerading in this gross parody of the human form, down to milk and wet plastic tubes for viscera. He is a "person", but with everything not aligned with the company's profit incentive stripped away. No feelings, no relationships, no values but the directives provided by the company. This could have been the whole movie.

But then you get the alien, this horrible biomechanoid that explicitly resembles what you might get if one of the crew members were bodily fused with their space suit. It doesn't appear to have any relatably human needs or desires but the drive to violently compete and survive. When Ash calls it perfect, he doesn't just mean that it is a strong, vicious and mostly impervious animal. He admires how it epitomizes the logic that ultimately required the company to create him and Muthur and a ship full of underpaid, contractually exploited truckers alone together in deep space. The alien is a glimpse of the future humanity is already headed toward.

I love Aliens, but it totally abandons these ideas. The best proof of that is the series of relatable, very human "artificial persons" that appear in the subsequent films and began with Bishop. The aliens stop being biomechanoids and become merely very dangerous bugs.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Zazamoot posted:

I love Aliens, but it totally abandons these ideas. The best proof of that is the series of relatable, very human "artificial persons" that appear in the subsequent films and began with Bishop. The aliens stop being biomechanoids and become merely very dangerous bugs.

You can't really blame Cameron for making Bishop friendly and more human like. He felt like he needed to go in a different direction from his previous film when it comes to artificial persons.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

Everything about Alien: Covenant is excellent until like shortly after they land on the planet. It's only 15-30 mins I think until long yawn happens but its great until then. I like weyland yutani space crews contracts and its always funny that pilots are from the american south.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Young Freud posted:

You can't really blame Cameron for making Bishop friendly and more human like. He felt like he needed to go in a different direction from his previous film when it comes to artificial persons.

arnie_smile.gif

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Young Freud posted:

It was a great twist I thought. Not only you, the Viewer, are primed to hate him, but Ripley, OUR HERO, is as well. Everyone is. It's in the movie.

And then he's the most solid mother fucker. Fuckin' Bishop rules.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Young Freud posted:

Perfect avatar and post combo right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

redshirt posted:

I don't agree. They were space truckers but they weren't dumb and they acted in the most common sense way possible.

I really like how Ash was a bad actor, Dallas was overqualified and burnt out, and Ripley seemed like she had a stick up her rear end for wanting to go by the book. Ash knew he could push thru Dallas' (lack of) leadership and that Ripley lacked the rank or popular support from the crew to stop him