Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

icantfindaname posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on supplements to help memory/brain function? I'm now worried about cognitive effects from my covid 6 months ago, I am pretty sure I am making many more typos and misspellings than before. I don't notice any other effects, on concentration or thinking/speaking/reading, but now I'm paranoid.

dyor but consider:
B12 Methylcobalamin lozenge for sublingual absorption
Choline - try different forms diluted in liquid and be careful to not take large doses of choline rapidly. headaches are a common side effect .
DHA and omegas
L-Glutathione
N-acetyl cysteine (NAC)

try experimenting with nutrition like
aminos, probiotics and a high quality multivitamin. higher doses can be harmful so be careful of your intake with supplements. minimize filler ingredients when possible.
try a variety of antioxidants

stay hydrated with electrolytes like magnesium glycinate, potassium, sodium in water

and generally minimize lovely processed foods from your diet.
try to get some exercise if you can tolerate it and haven’t recently had covid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tubamortis posted:

Guy in front of me for shots is now semi-lucid, lying on the floor and getting fanned by the pharmacist. They must be giving MAX titers at this CVS

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

U-DO Burger posted:

this is one hell of a theory lol jfc

I'm going to hold off on this, the sit is already a catastrophy as it is without this.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Daily News is a rag, which is why it was surprising to see this apparently earnest piece there (either way, the description of Howard Stern amused me):

https://www.nydailynews.com/2023/09/15/as-covid-surges-again-behave-like-howard-stern/ posted:

As COVID surges again, behave like Howard Stern
(..)
Yet I had a premonition. On the final day of our trip, as we were walking through Belleville, a story popped onto my newsfeed, the kind I would normally scroll past: “ ‘Neurotic, paranoid’ Howard Stern says his fear of COVID is causing fights with wife Beth Ostrosky.“

The story details the struggle that the radio personality has been having with his wife over his caution and fear of contracting COVID. Evidently, she wants to party like it’s 2019, and he won’t. My heart swelled in empathy. In the article, he admits to being scared he will get very sick. Erroneously, he labels his behavior “paranoid” and “neurotic.”

I nearly swooned against the side of the Père Lachaise cemetery where Marcel Proust, Edith Piaf, Oscar Wilde and Frederic Chopin are buried. Au contraire, Howard, I thought. In a time of madness, you are a clear-sighted prophet preaching the gospel of intelligence and sanity. Denial of the power of COVID is the ultimate mental illness.

My memories of Paris would be far better without the souvenir of COVID.

Let us be like Howard Stern.

I probably wouldn't go that far, at least not in a general sense.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

today was my last dose of my 10 day course of paxlovid and yesterday I started getting a runny nose and a little chest congestion. what the hell man

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

today was my last dose of my 10 day course of paxlovid and yesterday I started getting a runny nose and a little chest congestion. what the hell man

Slowly transforming into a generation ship for SARS-CoV-2 with faulty plumbing.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

icantfindaname posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on supplements to help memory/brain function? I'm now worried about cognitive effects from my covid 6 months ago, I am pretty sure I am making many more typos and misspellings than before. I don't notice any other effects, on concentration or thinking/speaking/reading, but now I'm paranoid.

I had some real bad neurocognitive (bad sleep, headaches, irritability, 'brain fog' type stuff etc) and cardiovascular (tingling legs, POTS type symptoms) issues after my bout of Delta in 2021. What solved them, for me anyways IANAD yadda yadda etc:

-Rest. Sleep. Don't use your brain too much. You need to RELAX.

-Vitamins with evidentiary support for various roles in antiviral activity: D and K, magnesium, niacin supplements (I was taking Fenugreek supplements under advice of my MD anyways so I just upped it to the max daily recommended dosage) and other stuff. You can always check for published research articles from good journals (anything that has been cited elsewhere many times is usually a safe bet, caveats notwithstanding) for "evidence" of what works and what's probably bullshit but also make sure you check with an MD if you're on medications. And be sure to know the difference between ones you can safely take lots of (eg D3 is pretty safe to take 3 to 4,000 iu a day based on several studies of using it for COVID purposes etc, but please don't take more than the recommended daily dose of magnesium for instance). Educate yourself but do it cautiously and don't just start two fisting supplements willy nilly.

-Supplements with evidentiary support for cardiovascular/anticlotting properties (mainly nattokinase and serrapeptase). I stopped taking both once my symptoms improved because both of these are actually pretty serious drugs in terms of potential long term blood thinning effects etc but similarly I found them legit effective. YMMV again.

-A full series (3 shots at roughly the optimal spread) of Novavax that I was able to hack the system into giving me somehow, despite BC doing their best to make vaccination impossible. I'm sure this is all psychosomatic self-soothing or whatever, but I really do think the fact that Novavax has a "better" array of antibody responses helped to clear up some viral reservoirs or whatever the gently caress long COVID (partially) is. I have heard the same from a few other Moth Matrix Enjoyers so I will die on this dumb hill but obviously that's not medical advice either.

(I'm personally waiting the few extra days for the Novavax update to drop then booking the first available pharmacy booking I can find in Washington and driving down to pay full price for that bad boy, my own experience vs both Modera and Phizer is night and day worth it)

If I had pick one, it's rest. Rest like it's your job, for as many weeks as you can.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

But in all seriousness, test to see if you are actually positive.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Ya'll got any good info, like words/tweets/paragraphs/papers from someone like Leonardi discussing how paxlovid isn't the reason your body isn't developing antibodies so you keep getting covid and actually it's because covid is a little piece of poo poo that doesn't care about your immunity.

Got a friend who has used pax before but now on their third infection and they are wondering if the pax is making them not build immunity. They would actually be willing to see further data beyond me saying "that's not a thing" and so I'd love to provide it if there's some good words out there on the topic.

TIA.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
man it sucks that we can’t get a government official or cdc person or just whoever famous to say that
you get 2-3 months immunity* from an infection or vaccine
paxlovid rebounds aren’t bad, those sick days would happen regardless
this poo poo is airborne wear a mask

*not immunity

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

tangy yet delightful posted:

Ya'll got any good info, like words/tweets/paragraphs/papers from someone like Leonardi discussing how paxlovid isn't the reason your body isn't developing antibodies so you keep getting covid and actually it's because covid is a little piece of poo poo that doesn't care about your immunity.

Got a friend who has used pax before but now on their third infection and they are wondering if the pax is making them not build immunity. They would actually be willing to see further data beyond me saying "that's not a thing" and so I'd love to provide it if there's some good words out there on the topic.

TIA.

"Clinical, Virologic, and Immunologic Evaluation of Symptomatic Coronavirus Disease 2019 Rebound Following Nirmatrelvir/Ritonavir Treatment"

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36200701/ posted:

Abstract
Background: Nirmatrelvir/ritonavir, the first severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) protease inhibitor, reduces the risk of hospitalization and death by coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) but has been associated with symptomatic rebound after therapy completion.

Methods: Six individuals with relapse of COVID-19 symptoms after treatment with nirmatrelvir/ritonavir, 2 individuals with rebound symptoms without prior antiviral therapy and 7 patients with acute Omicron infection (controls) were studied. Soluble biomarkers and serum SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid protein were measured. Nasal swabs positive for SARS-CoV-2 underwent viral isolation and targeted viral sequencing. SARS-CoV-2 anti-spike, anti-receptor-binding domain, and anti-nucleocapsid antibodies were measured. Surrogate viral neutralization tests against wild-type and Omicron spike protein, as well as T-cell stimulation assays, were performed.

Results: High levels of SARS-CoV-2 anti-spike immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibodies were found in all participants. Anti-nucleocapsid IgG and Omicron-specific neutralizing antibodies increased in patients with rebound. Robust SARS-CoV-2-specific T-cell responses were observed, higher in rebound compared with early acute COVID-19 patients. Inflammatory markers mostly decreased during rebound. Two patients sampled longitudinally demonstrated an increase in activated cytokine-producing CD4+ T cells against viral proteins. No characteristic resistance mutations were identified. SARS-CoV-2 was isolated by culture from 1 of 8 rebound patients; Polybrene addition increased this to 5 of 8.

Conclusions: Nirmatrelvir/ritonavir treatment does not impede adaptive immune responses to SARS-CoV-2. Clinical rebound corresponds to development of a robust antibody and T-cell immune response, arguing against a high risk of disease progression. The presence of infectious virus supports the need for isolation and assessment of longer treatment courses.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Steve Yun posted:

a lot of comments from people connecting the dots about their recent health changes and their Covid infections

https://reddit.com/r/travel/s/AARb87cQ0s

Air quality travel peaked in 2015, lmao. This person must never have flown pre-911.

gently caress I'm old

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
later, trying to get The Tools: "gently caress you, Lance, answer!!"

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Starting on 9/11 this year I've 'season passed' Keith Olbermann on my tivo.

Also, Golden Girls.
So I finally got it.

Covid, that is.

After 3.5 years of not getting it, of being careful, of masking, of vaxxing… One of my wife’s coworkers came to the office while sick. She has had covid like four times before, and said to the wife “I think I have covid” several hours after sharing air in a small office with her.

A quick test later confirmed it. Wife contracted it, and despite us trying to isolate I ended up getting it.

People are loving stupid.

6 days passed and I’m now testing negative again. So I had a question for the thread. I’m trying not to be a fat goon, and did a great job losing like 50 pounds by going to the gym in the last year. I haven’t gone since the exposure, but I’ve been reading people saying that you shouldn’t exercise much immediately following covid. I’d like to keep the weight off - and I keep seeing people saying that they shouldn’t exercise for X days or Y months but am unable to find any actual studies on this.

Is there an accepted amount of time? Are there any studies or is this just a guess?

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

thedavid posted:

So I finally got it.

Covid, that is.

After 3.5 years of not getting it, of being careful, of masking, of vaxxing… One of my wife’s coworkers came to the office while sick. She has had covid like four times before, and said to the wife “I think I have covid” several hours after sharing air in a small office with her.

A quick test later confirmed it. Wife contracted it, and despite us trying to isolate I ended up getting it.

6 days passed and I’m now testing negative again. So I had a question for the thread. I’m trying not to be a fat goon, and did a great job losing like 50 pounds by going to the gym in the last year. I haven’t gone since the exposure, but I’ve been reading people saying that you shouldn’t exercise much immediately following covid. I’d like to keep the weight off - and I keep seeing people saying that they shouldn’t exercise for X days or Y months but am unable to find any actual studies on this.

Is there an accepted amount of time? Are there any studies or is this just a guess?

everything I’ve said says take it easy after Covid-but I have no references for timeframe. what I do know is that you can keep the weight off without exercising

calorie intake will define your weight
exercise defines your shape

if you aren’t exercising reduce your intake slightly and relax for a bit. Petey? I think might know more about how to ease back in

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Pingui posted:

But in all seriousness, test to see if you are actually positive.

welp looks like I’m rebounding

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Pingui posted:

"Clinical, Virologic, and Immunologic Evaluation of Symptomatic Coronavirus Disease 2019 Rebound Following Nirmatrelvir/Ritonavir Treatment"

Thank you, I would say King/Queen poo poo, but you are better than royalty!!!!!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

thedavid posted:

6 weeks minimum is what I read the most but I don’t know if there’s a study to back that up. And they say to start easy like walking

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Also, Golden Girls.

nexous posted:

everything I’ve said says take it easy after Covid-but I have no references for timeframe. what I do know is that you can keep the weight off without exercising

calorie intake will define your weight
exercise defines your shape

if you aren’t exercising reduce your intake slightly and relax for a bit. Petey? I think might know more about how to ease back in

yeah I have been tracking diet too … but felt like the 1-2 punch of exercise and diet were really good to get that 50 off.

just sucks, man.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

thedavid posted:

So I finally got it.

Covid, that is.

I took 3 months off, and we went semi-vegetarian to try to control our weight.

It worked pretty well, most of my weight gain happened during the "woe is me, I got infected" 3 weeks where I allowed myself to binge. After that, lots of chicken breast, fish, wild rice and tofu.

Side benefit, I finally discovered tofu can be delicious

If you're worried about losing the habit, try meditating when you'd normally work out. It has a ton of health benefits, and you're still setting aside that time for self improvement.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

thedavid posted:

yeah I have been tracking diet too … but felt like the 1-2 punch of exercise and diet were really good to get that 50 off.

just sucks, man.

I get it bud. I lost 150 lbs about 10 years back. you’re on a roll and wanna keep going. you can just take it easy for a bit!

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Also, Golden Girls.

Steve Yun posted:

6 weeks minimum is what I read the most but I don’t know if there’s a study to back that up. And they say to start easy like walking

that’s a long loving time.

I see so many different timeframes. thanks for the info

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

thedavid posted:

(..)

Well, there is stuff like this:

CGI Stardust posted:

this BMJ practice pointer from 2021 might be helpful Returning to physical activity after covid-19. not sure if there's anything more up-to-date

RPE: Rating of Perceived Exertion; this article and graphic uses the Borg (lol) scale of 1-20 on the right:

ed: wait gently caress the scale is already in the original. oh well

And in a general sense most acute heart issues seem to taper down to baseline ~4-5 weeks post infection.

So yes, there are studies and the general advice would be 4-6 weeks of rest. However, be less focused on the specific time and be much more cognizant about not forcing yourself also beyond the 4-6 weeks. Give your body a rest until you actually feel ok again, slowly ramp it up and then stop exercising at any signs of trouble or exertion beyond your normal tolerance.

There are substantial and permanent effects of overdoing it, including death, so absolutely do not go for a 10 mile run because of some macho bullshit of keeping your gains. Start with a leisurely walk around the block (don't get yourself stranded by walking out in one direction), see how your feel and how exerted it made you during and afterwards.

IANAD, but I think this follows from the data. Naturally any actual acute symptoms of heart distress should be taken very seriously and you should see a doctor if that happens.

Edit: Also sorry you got got, poo poo sucks :(

Second edit to add an example of the 30 day mark as the return to baseline:

Source: https://www.elsevier.es/es-revista-...JufRpNPuIGh67s1

Pingui has issued a correction as of 23:54 on Sep 15, 2023

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Bastard Tetris posted:

I am in awe that you are able to get LDN. Was that prescribed and through a compounding pharmacy? Feel free to PM if you don’t want to share details publicly.

I can share some LDN experiences (not mine): no problems getting it in Canada, virtually impossible in Australia (at the time), US got a prescription from a psychiatrist (neuro/rheumatologist could or would not) but insurance either wouldn't cover it or demanded a $150/month copay (IIRC).

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I got a shitload of naltrexone 50mg guess I won’t get long Covid

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

nexous posted:

I got a shitload of naltrexone 50mg guess I won’t get long Covid

reported for naltrexone hoarding

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Akaiku posted:

oo filtertalk!

I got a merv15 and charcoal filter, but I also got an oversized filter box, so it's 20x20x4" for moar relative surface area.
Basically the same idea as the secureclick p100's being double-sided.

Any experience with how long the single 20x20x4 filter lasts? It seems like it should be similar to the full cube, if it has similar surface area.

thedavid
Oct 29, 2004

Also, Golden Girls.

Pingui posted:

Well, there is stuff like this:

And in a general sense most acute heart issues seem to taper down to baseline ~4-5 weeks post infection.

So yes, there are studies and the general advice would be 4-6 weeks of rest. However, be less focused on the specific time and be much more cognizant about not forcing yourself also beyond the 4-6 weeks. Give your body a rest until you actually feel ok again, slowly ramp it up and then stop exercising at any signs of trouble or exertion beyond your normal tolerance.

There are substantial and permanent effects of overdoing it, including death, so absolutely do not go for a 10 mile run because of some macho bullshit of keeping your gains. Start with a leisurely walk around the block (don't get yourself stranded by walking out in one direction), see how your feel and how exerted it made you during and afterwards.

IANAD, but I think this follows from the data. Naturally any actual acute symptoms of heart distress should be taken very seriously and you should see a doctor if that happens.

Edit: Also sorry you got got, poo poo sucks :(

This is awesome. Thanks for typing it up. I knew this thread would have the details.

Guess I’ll start with walks.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
threw some words into the OP on the booster. flag me if there are more updated points as we find out more. people can read the thread for minutia, but at least want to get some high level points in

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

thedavid posted:

This is awesome. Thanks for typing it up. I knew this thread would have the details.

Guess I’ll start with walks.

No problem. You didn't see the second edit, but I added an example of the mentioned 30 day mark (where you can also see a breakdown of cardiovascular death (CV Death), acute coronary syndrome (ACS), strokes, pulmonary embolism (PE), heart failure hospitalization (HFH)).

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

ty covid thread

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Scheduled for booster tuesday

Finally my chance to be part of the 1%

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

threw some words into the OP on the booster. flag me if there are more updated points as we find out more. people can read the thread for minutia, but at least want to get some high level points in

No mention of the bridge program for the under- and uninsured. There is limited availability, so you need to search for it specifically. Some details here (more at the CDC link):

Pingui posted:

Important vaccination news for the under- and uninsured:

Note the caveat.

More details found here: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/bridge/index.html

Also the out of pocket cost mentioned was 190:

Oracle posted:

Just a warning for the early birds: insurance companies are not ready to process Covid vaccine shots yet. My husband has really good insurance and had to pay out of pocket (190 bucks!) because CVS couldn’t find a way that it was covered and his HR couldn’t either. He’s keeping the receipt under the assumption that it’ll get sorted out eventually but he’s traveling for work next week and wanted to get topped off ASAP. All the stuff on the various insurance websites I checked still refer to the previous booster and talk about how all these coverage policies are only good until May 13th (when the emergency ended).

Pingui has issued a correction as of 00:08 on Sep 16, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pingui posted:

No mention of the bridge program for the under- and uninsured. There is limited availability, so you need to search for it specifically. Some details here (more at the CDC link):

Also the out of pocket cost mentioned was 190:

yeah that's still funded until 2024 right?

190 was surprising list price is supposed to be 120 to 130. did they really tack on 50 more for services rendered?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

thedavid posted:

that’s a long loving time.

I see so many different timeframes. thanks for the info

The rest of your life - 6 weeks is a long time for you to live with brain or vascular or heart damage.

i've had great success letting the white hot rage simmering inside of me burn the calories off

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

fosborb posted:

yeah that's still funded until 2024 right?

Yes.

fosborb posted:

190 was surprising list price is supposed to be 120 to 130. did they really tack on 50 more for services rendered?

No, they tacked on 60-70 ;-P

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

RandomBlue posted:

Air quality travel peaked in 2015, lmao. This person must never have flown pre-911.

gently caress I'm old

JAL, 2015. flight half empty, window row to myself, and free beer in coach. that was when it peaked

Fur20 has issued a correction as of 01:12 on Sep 16, 2023

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

eXXon posted:

I can share some LDN experiences (not mine): no problems getting it in Canada, virtually impossible in Australia (at the time), US got a prescription from a psychiatrist (neuro/rheumatologist could or would not) but insurance either wouldn't cover it or demanded a $150/month copay (IIRC).

Sweet, thanks. I'm a patient advocate and in the US it's absolutely an uphill battle.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/thevertlartnic/status/1702773417412272210?s=46

reveal yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022

Lol