Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Steve Yun posted:

scattered reports here and there that the new variants are presenting as “gastrointestinal distress” aka explosive diarrhea

Explosive pants making GBS threads? The Goon Variant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/covid-rsv-influenza-impact-healthcare-system-year-cdc/story?id=103204817 posted:

COVID, RSV and influenza likely to impact healthcare system this year: CDC
This year’s respiratory virus season is set to be a repeat of last year’s.

This year’s respiratory virus season is set to be a repeat of last year’s, with COVID-19, RSV and influenza impacting the healthcare system at the same time, according to a modeling forecast released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Thursday.

Based on their modeling, CDC scientists predict that there may be two possible scenarios this respiratory virus season (typically known as “cold and flu season”):

Scenario A:
  • Moderate flu and RSV activity
  • Moderate COVID activity
  • Staggered peaks
Scenario B:
  • Severe flu and RSV activity
  • Moderate COVID activity
  • Overlapping peak
(..)

:thunk: Seems to be some relatively likely scenarios missing. Casually glancing at their source, this is what those two scenarios are about :

https://www.cdc.gov/respiratory-viruses/whats-new/2023-2024-season-outlook.html posted:

(..)
CDC expects this year will be similar to last year in terms of the total number of hospitalizations from COVID-19, RSV, and flu. As with last year, the total number of hospitalizations this year is expected to be higher than what we as a nation experienced prior to the COVID-19 pandemic.
(..)

Figure 1: The stacked blue bars show two potential scenarios for hospitalizations related to flu, RSV, and COVID-19 this fall and winter. Dashed lines show hospitalization levels for specific viruses in previous years for comparison. These scenarios illustrate how the additional burden from COVID-19 during a moderate season for the three respiratory diseases (left bar) may generate more hospital demand than a severe influenza and RSV season prior to the emergence of COVID-19 (bottom dashed line).
(..)

Delving into the actual forecast, those two scenarios seem less certain than ABC indicates:

https://www.cdc.gov/forecast-outbreak-analytics/about/season-outlook.html posted:

Respiratory Disease Season Outlook

Outlook
CDC expects the upcoming fall and winter respiratory disease season will likely have a similar number of total hospitalizations compared to last year. As with last year, the number of hospitalizations is expected to be higher than that experienced prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, when severe disease was caused primarily by the influenza virus and the respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).

However, it remains possible that hospitalizations this season may be higher than last year, with more widespread illness and healthcare system strain. This increase could result from the emergence of a new COVID-19 variant with an increased ability to evade the body’s prior immunity, or from a severe influenza season combined with COVID-19 and RSV waves that are similar to last year, or, as we saw last year, an increase in RSV infections. A key factor is the timing of the peak number of hospitalizations associated with each disease and whether those peaks coincide.

This outlook is based on expert judgment, historical data, and scenario modeling for COVID-19. We have low to moderate confidence in this assessment because of uncertainties in anticipating the timing of when diseases will peak and levels of disease.
(..)

Ok, cool. So it is less there being only two possible scenarios and more these two scenarios would be bad, but it could easily be worse :ok:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 13:26 on Sep 15, 2023

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Moderate case of mild illness.

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

quote:

Scenario A:
Moderate COVID activity
Scenario B:
Moderate COVID activity

:hmmrona:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
can anybody get under 12 vax? I’m typing major cities in CVS to see any appts and I’m getting nada. maybe my kids pediatrician will surprise us today during visit…

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Important vaccination news for the under- and uninsured:

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2023/p0914-uninsured-vaccination.html posted:

HHS Launches Bridge Access Program to Safeguard Free COVID-19 Vaccination for Uninsured and Underinsured Adults
Administered through the CDC, the program is available now

In April, HHS announced the ‘HHS Bridge Access Program For COVID-19 Vaccines and Treatments Program’(“Program”) to maintain broad access to COVID-19 vaccines for millions of uninsured Americans. This week, the Bridge Access Program officially launches, providing continued free coverage for the estimated 25-30 million adults who would have otherwise lost access to affordable COVID-19 vaccines now that the distribution of vaccines has transitioned to the commercial market. Doses will be available in some locations this week, with distribution increasing in the coming weeks.
(..)

Note the caveat.

More details found here: https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/bridge/index.html

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Fl gov making a lot of stink about not recommending getting the new vaccine. But does anyone know if they outright aren't allowing it in the state?

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Chamale posted:

Like, I'm vegan and I think eating meat is wrong, but if I stopped talking to anyone who ate meat I'd have a much smaller social circle. It's kinda a fact you have to deal with that people will do wrong things out of convenience or laziness, and when those people are my friends, I ignore it as best I can.

As a fellow vegan nocovider, I feel you homie :).

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Fl gov making a lot of stink about not recommending getting the new vaccine. But does anyone know if they outright aren't allowing it in the state?

I am pretty certain they don't have the authority to do that, hence the disrecommendation rather than ban.

Either way, they are not disallowing it:

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/coronavirus/article279281939.html posted:

New COVID vaccines are coming to Florida. Who can get the shots and where?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Pingui posted:

Thank you for sharing your experience, I figured the cohort would be disparate like that and I suspect that is going to be an issue, for me, personally, in finding like-minded people. My own response to COVID was never fear-driven, I just skipped the stages of grief straight to acceptance and took the consequences of the new normal when I heard the word "airborne".

I talk about this with some of my friends. There are definitely people that I know, often with an anxiety diagnosis, whose response to Covid (or nowadays planning around Covid) seems to be different from mine in this way. I think I tend to experience it as a series of if-then flowcharts and analytic thinking; no, I'm not "afraid" of getting Covid when I wear a mask to the gym, and I know that if I got it I would likely be fine, but when I balance the probabilities across the flowcharts, the expected value benefit of wearing a mask to the gym is higher than of not wearing it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Petey posted:

I talk about this with some of my friends. There are definitely people that I know, often with an anxiety diagnosis, whose response to Covid (or nowadays planning around Covid) seems to be different from mine in this way. I think I tend to experience it as a series of if-then flowcharts and analytic thinking; no, I'm not "afraid" of getting Covid when I wear a mask to the gym, and I know that if I got it I would likely be fine, but when I balance the probabilities across the flowcharts, the expected value benefit of wearing a mask to the gym is higher than of not wearing it.

Yeah, same. I'm not afraid of getting COVID. And I have a kid in daycare plus a spouse that doesn't mask at work so I'm very aware that it isn't a matter of if I'll catch COVID again but a matter of how often. However I am concerned about the long term impact of catching it multiple times so I am trying to find a balance between living in a post 2020 world and also not rolling the dice on long term health impacts any more times than I have too.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Just a warning for the early birds: insurance companies are not ready to process Covid vaccine shots yet. My husband has really good insurance and had to pay out of pocket (190 bucks!) because CVS couldn’t find a way that it was covered and his HR couldn’t either. He’s keeping the receipt under the assumption that it’ll get sorted out eventually but he’s traveling for work next week and wanted to get topped off ASAP. All the stuff on the various insurance websites I checked still refer to the previous booster and talk about how all these coverage policies are only good until May 13th (when the emergency ended).

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

icantfindaname posted:

Anyone have any thoughts on supplements to help memory/brain function? I'm now worried about cognitive effects from my covid 6 months ago, I am pretty sure I am making many more typos and misspellings than before. I don't notice any other effects, on concentration or thinking/speaking/reading, but now I'm paranoid.

don't have tips beside making sure you get enough sleep, which post-acute-covid is a problem for a lot of people, but infection leading to decreased writing ability seems very real.

(half of my job is technical editing and wow things get bad after everyone on the team gets sick.)

have you looked up any long covid clinics around you?

Thoguh posted:

Yeah, same. I'm not afraid of getting COVID. And I have a kid in daycare plus a spouse that doesn't mask at work so I'm very aware that it isn't a matter of if I'll catch COVID again but a matter of how often. However I am concerned about the long term impact of catching it multiple times so I am trying to find a balance between living in a post 2020 world and also not rolling the dice on long term health impacts any more times than I have too.

:same:

Oracle posted:

Just a warning for the early birds: insurance companies are not ready to process Covid vaccine shots yet. My husband has really good insurance and had to pay out of pocket (190 bucks!) because CVS couldn’t find a way that it was covered and his HR couldn’t either. He’s keeping the receipt under the assumption that it’ll get sorted out eventually but he’s traveling for work next week and wanted to get topped off ASAP. All the stuff on the various insurance websites I checked still refer to the previous booster and talk about how all these coverage policies are only good until May 13th (when the emergency ended).

reported for questioning the efficiency of devolving all healthcare responsibilities to the private market.

Insanite has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Sep 15, 2023

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Oracle posted:

My husband has really good insurance and had to pay out of pocket (190 bucks!) because CVS couldn’t find a way that it was covered and his HR couldn’t either. He’s keeping the receipt under the assumption that it’ll get sorted out eventually but he’s traveling for work next week and wanted to get topped off ASAP.

:negative:

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 373 days!

Thoguh posted:

its funny, virtually all covid minimizers couch their experience with it solely on how sick they are for a few days after infection and like, nothing else. it makes sense in a way, it's the only part of this process you can tangibly feel if you've been lucky against long covid

like dog too much of this may be loving up your mitochondrial walls, with enough mutations may turn you one day into a parasite eve villain(??) 👎my dad talked with an ex co worker last week who had covid "a few times at least" who has not been able to smell anything for a year and a half, maybe more stories like that and leana wens finding out phase will help continue to shift the dialogue past the acute phase

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
lol some bullshit, the pediatrician doesn’t have the shots. kids getting the shaft for the single digit of us that want our kids vaxed.

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.

DominoKitten posted:

It puts forth that Long COVID is "real" for the people suffering from it, but lays the blame at the public health approach for inducing fear in the population, thereby giving predisposed people a somatic disorder. All the media scares served as a "nocebo". The lockdowns caused lots of mental illness. They come up with a new term to replace Long COVID: "Pandemic-Response Syndrome"; they also use the term "Long-Pandemic" and "COVID Stress Syndrome". A bunch of citations I haven't dug through yet, talking about weaknesses in papers studying long COVID. (And I mean, yeah, it's in fact really hard to find a control group of uninfected people these days, so if that's the standard I can't imagine how one would ever be satisfied now, oh well guess we'll never know.)

this is actual demon poo poo and whether intended or not I wish these people the worst. the amount of effort to twist this to explain this in a way that makes anyone claiming to have LC/PASC as some kind of cult of mental illness and saying without saying that people are giving themselves organ damage and all manner of other things via force of will alone makes no sense and just like the variations of herd/hybrid immunity, the arguments disintegrate upon close inspection but "sound" scientific enough to laymen that it can assure them that anyone who cares about covid is simply mentally unwell. not like this is anything new but it gets my blood boiling every time I see it.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

The Oldest Man posted:

this post has been edited for gary larson compliance

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

empireofcrime posted:

this is actual demon poo poo and whether intended or not I wish these people the worst. the amount of effort to twist this to explain this in a way that makes anyone claiming to have LC/PASC as some kind of cult of mental illness and saying without saying that people are giving themselves organ damage and all manner of other things via force of will alone makes no sense and just like the variations of herd/hybrid immunity, the arguments disintegrate upon close inspection but "sound" scientific enough to laymen that it can assure them that anyone who cares about covid is simply mentally unwell. not like this is anything new but it gets my blood boiling every time I see it.

It's just the information warfare strategy of flooding the zone with poo poo, expanded to a new domain.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Have any goon parents thought about getting a false mustache, a make up kit, and some grey hair spray for their kids? Heck for those in California, there are make up artists and special effects workers who don't have anything to do rn, they could easily age up your kiddo.

If anyone at the pharmacy get suspicious, just say it's a Benjamin Button thing and it is against HIPPA to pry more in their personal medical information

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

sonatinas posted:

can anybody get under 12 vax? I’m typing major cities in CVS to see any appts and I’m getting nada. maybe my kids pediatrician will surprise us today during visit…

September 29th is the earliest I can get for my little one. Walgreens in Chicago, haven't tried CVS but I assume the same.

Fansy has issued a correction as of 17:01 on Sep 15, 2023

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My favorite genre of stories right now is people going into situations where they're likely to get covid and saying "oh god I got covid". Like it's impossible to protect yourself. You may get it, you may not, it's all up to god!

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

Petey posted:

That's not how most people think. Most people are more vibe based or just look at what everyone else is doing, even the ones that do think like that don't have the information that would lead them to realizing that catching covid is actually, bad.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Insanite posted:

have you looked up any long covid clinics around you?

It's not that bad, although I'm starting to worry it may get worse. It's not affecting my ability to do my job or anything, I just type maybe 15 percent slower

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

dxt posted:

That's not how most people think. Most people are more vibe based or just look at what everyone else is doing, even the ones that do think like that don't have the information that would lead them to realizing that catching covid is actually, bad.

Oh, they know they don't want it. 90% of people who notice you wearing a mask will give you distance because they assume you're infected with covid, but if someone is hacking or coughing mask free well its probably just a cold and no alarm needed. Everyone can if prompted relay a story of a coworker or friend or relative or friend of the aforementioned who got hosed up by a covid infection. They just have to believe it won't happen to them because they're healthy/different/genetically superior/have a good immune system/did what they were told two years ago and got fully vaccinated. To believe otherwise is to have to change something or acknowledge this isn't over and noone wants to do that.

Jort Fortress
Mar 3, 2005

My coworker's husband had a stroke last night and isn't going to make it. They're both early 50's and were sick a few weeks ago with "not-COVID". She literally brought her 5yo old grandkid on a Teams call and let him cough into her mouth, then said "they have strep, not COVID!". :dogstare:

Of the 9 remaining managers I work with, 4 are out sick. One in particular has been out a week and IM'd that he's heading to the ER because he feels so awful. Dude is late 30's and in excellent shape, FWIW.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Jort Fortress posted:

My coworker's husband had a stroke last night and isn't going to make it. They're both early 50's and were sick a few weeks ago with "not-COVID". She literally brought her 5yo old grandkid on a Teams call and let him cough into her mouth, then said "they have strep, not COVID!". :dogstare:

Of the 9 remaining managers I work with, 4 are out sick. One in particular has been out a week and IM'd that he's heading to the ER because he feels so awful. Dude is late 30's and in excellent shape, FWIW.

N95s have never been cheaper

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

puncturewound78 posted:

I lost the ability to read and write at length. But more noticeably I was unable to stand for more than several minutes.

I tried tons of supplements that were recommended by neurologist, hematologist, pulmonologist, and psychiatrist.

I didnt stick with any. None helped, definitely not enough to justify purchasing them.

The only thing that got me on my feet each day and eventually reading again was LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone)

It hasn't cured me. I rarely function half as well as I did before infection. But Im very grateful to have been given back a semblance of my abilities

Been using LDN about a year now

I am in awe that you are able to get LDN. Was that prescribed and through a compounding pharmacy? Feel free to PM if you don’t want to share details publicly.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

The Oldest Man posted:

this post has been edited for gary larson compliance

Blam is in a speech bubble. A guy said blam.

DominoKitten
Aug 7, 2012

Jort Fortress posted:

She literally brought her 5yo old grandkid on a Teams call and let him cough into her mouth, then said "they have strep, not COVID!". :dogstare:

I also like not getting strep throat, what the heck, I got strep throat once aka the throat acne from hell and ended up in a feverish delerium about game theory I did not understand because right before I’d read A Beautiful Mind, and ended up having to go into urgent care and get a shot of antibiotics into my buttocks!

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
What's the age range for the kids vaccine? can my 5 year old get the 'normal person' vaccine or do they need to still get the kids version?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ikanreed posted:

All that's left in America, the only thing, is occasionally watching the ghouls responsible for our state of affairs suffer living in the society they created. And it's always tempered by knowledge that
A. The working class will suffer more from it
And
B. They will learn nothing

SardonicTyrant posted:

We have the tools

Pictured: the tools

:whip::(:(:(

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
To follow up on my earlier post about mega-high wastewater where I'm at: it sure seems
like the counties with big universities have a lot more covid than neighboring counties without.

Also, coworker with covid+ wife was back at work in a surgical today. No one else was masking.

Jort Fortress posted:

:smith:

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

skooma512 posted:

This is a Chinese bioweapon!

I demand we immediately surrender to the bioweapon!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

redreader posted:

What's the age range for the kids vaccine? can my 5 year old get the 'normal person' vaccine or do they need to still get the kids version?

Seems unclear still. Some links were in the thread yesterday (can look at my prior post, I quoted them), had Pfizer proposed same dosage regardless of age, and moderna as half dosage for 6 months to 11 years old. Once any of us find someone to actually give our kids a shot we will know more!

I'm confused by this talk of having separate pediatric vaccines at all, when at most it is just half dosage and the stuff is still coming in a bottle with multiple doses, right? Did they actually mix it up in a different concentration for kids this time? It's a goddamn mystery.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

a lot of comments from people connecting the dots about their recent health changes and their Covid infections

https://reddit.com/r/travel/s/AARb87cQ0s

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

a lot of comments from people connecting the dots about their recent health changes and their Covid infections

https://reddit.com/r/travel/s/AARb87cQ0s

only took three years

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
https://twitter.com/DrEricDing/status/1702297985697112340?s=20

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
M O T H J U I C E

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Speaking of Mr. Spicy Nachos, here is a very recent interview: