Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Coward!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

anyone have the week over week variant breakdown chart that shows roughly the proportion of BA.2.86 vs other variants? I forgot who posts them and I tried looking through the last 40 pages and couldn't find it

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

corona familiar posted:

anyone have the week over week variant breakdown chart that shows roughly the proportion of BA.2.86 vs other variants? I forgot who posts them and I tried looking through the last 40 pages and couldn't find it

bookmark this link:

https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery#variant-proportions

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
I concede that the unders have it

2.86 didn't get a foothold

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

ah thanks I literally found it as you posted :stonkhat:

it's buried deep in the CDC labyrinth

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Eggs is winning this season and it's not even close

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Florida variant had a strong entrance but seems to have hit a brick wall

it’s a tough field this year

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I'm rooting for hyvee 1

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Gunshow Poophole posted:

cherries jubilee and that's it.
This is an old post I'm quoting but I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed seeing this reference thrown in here :buddy:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

corona familiar posted:

Well, you got your answer from Steve, while I was trying to figure out which one of these three you were thinking of with BA.2.86 (as BA.2.86 is not on the chart you actually wanted :P ):

The closest you have on a worldwide basis is, but it isn't broken down by week:
https://outbreak.info/situation-reports?xmin=2023-03-16&xmax=2023-09-16&pango=BA.2.86

Then there is this showing BA.2.86.x cases by country and in aggregate, but no comparison:
https://public.tableau.com/app/profile/raj.rajnarayanan/viz/TrackingBA_2_86LineageOverTime/BA_2_86

And then there is this specific one for Denmark, but shows BA.2.86.x vs other variants:
https://www.covid19genomics.dk/statistics

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

10 days into the new school year. My daughter came home with congestion today, now I've found out that one of her table classmates earlier this week was wearing a mask then the next day wasn't. I'm no Sherlock Holmes but I'm probably in danger. Hopefully my daughter continues to have congestion being her worst symptom, she is of course vaccinated and boosted. I plan to test her if she gets worse or on Sunday but acting as if she has it for now. So 6.5 hours where I'm relying on Iota Carrageenan spray and HEPA filters, and I've now added masking now that I found out the new info.

Edit: these are the filters that were in her classroom last year until they were removed for being unfair.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Pingui posted:

Well, you got your answer from Steve, while I was trying to figure out which one of these three you were thinking of with BA.2.86 (as BA.2.86 is not on the chart you actually wanted :P ):

wow thanks! yeah I realize BA.2.86 wasn't actually on the CDC chart that I had imagined but these are super useful

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

corona familiar posted:

I'm rooting for hyvee 1

employee owned!

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
lmao at every single thing in this article.

https://www.timesunion.com/health/article/insurance-issues-lead-cvs-others-cancel-covid-18368441.php posted:

CVS and others cancel COVID-19 vaccine appointments due to insurance issues
Many consumers in the Capital Region report receiving calls from their pharmacists advising them to reschedule or risk paying $200 out-of-pocket for immunizations.

ALBANY — As large retail pharmacies compete for market share in the latest COVID-19 vaccine roll out, it might be wise to hold off on making an appointment.

Chain stores like CVS and Walgreens ordered the new doses early, opening up vaccine appointments as early Saturday and Sunday. But by Thursday, many consumers in the Capital Region reported receiving calls from their pharmacists advising them to reschedule or risk paying $200 out-of-pocket for the immunizations.

A representative for CVS, which declined to make a pharmacist available for an interview, said some insurers are still updating their systems and may not yet be set up to cover the updated COVID-19 vaccines.

"If this happens, patients are encouraged to check with their plans for more details and schedule an appointment at a later date," CVS spokeswoman Tara Burke said.

Consumers with Empire Blue Cross were among those who received calls advising they cancel their appointments.

A spokesperson for Empire Blue Cross said "a very small number of members’ claims (were) rejected because pharmacies had access to the new COVID vaccine early, and our system was prepared based on the CDC timeline communicated for availability of the vaccine. Those rejected claims will be re-processed, and the members will receive their vaccines at a $0 copay."

According to CDPHP, the Capital Region-based health plan will continue to cover COVID-19 vaccines at no out-of-pocket cost and is in the process of communicating the new billing codes to pharmacies.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention approved the shot Tuesday, recommending the vaccine for everyone ages 6 months and older this fall.

The 2023-2024 COVID-19 vaccine is designed to block XBB variants and has been shown to provide some protection against other emerging variants.

Medicaid and commercial insurance plans are required to cover the immunizations without charging a co-pay.

COVID-19 vaccine manufacturers, which charged the federal government about $29 per dose for the last vaccine booster, are now billing pharmacists 3-4 times that amount on the commercial market, according to research from Kaiser Family Foundation.

The $200 price tag for consumers has raised concerns about the uninsured having access the immunizations.

While New York's uninsured rate dropped to a record low during the three-year pandemic — when Medicaid eligibility checks were paused — the state's Medicaid program resumed eligibility checks in May and at least 300,000 New Yorkers have already lost coverage, according to state data submitted to the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services tracked by the KFF.

New York is offering vaccines free of charge to the uninsured through community clinics, county health departments and addiction treatment centers.

Given the limited shelf-life for the vaccine doses, many smaller pharmacies and pediatrician offices are waiting and see what the demand is like before ordering their supplies.

Assemblyman John McDonald, a pharmacist who owns Marra's Pharmacy in Cohoes, said the cost to pharmacists is $145 per dose, which may discourage small primary care and pharmacy businesses from carrying the shot.

"To give you a perspective, flu vaccine has been relatively stable for over the past umpteen generations and it's around $25 to $30 a dose," McDonald said. "This is significantly higher, and to be honest with you, for small businesses that's going to cause problems ... Someone's not going to shell out $5,000-$7,000 with the hopes of getting that money back in a month."

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
ya gotta wait for the system to update :shuckyes:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
if only pfc was probed yesterday so he couldve updated dim_vaccine in time

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

tangy yet delightful posted:

Edit: these are the filters that were in her classroom last year until they were removed for being unfair.

you know why mountain climbers attach themselves to each other with ropes? so that if one falls they all fall

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
somehow it never really sunk in until now, precisely what it means that the pharmacy is a business and thus vaccine availability is subject to market forces and the store's balance sheet. like, intellectually i knew. but now i feel it in my bones

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

SixteenShells posted:

somehow it never really sunk in until now, precisely what it means that the pharmacy is a business and thus vaccine availability is subject to market forces and the store's balance sheet. like, intellectually i knew. but now i feel it in my bones

this is america, literally everything is a business

that hospital, incorporated
that church, incorporated
that homeless shelter, incorporated
that prison, incorporated
your rear end in a top hat neighbor, probably incorporated

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

fosborb posted:

i dunno about that, Florida Man is still a contender and H8r Variant is coming out swinging

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

RandomBlue posted:

your neighbor's rear end in a top hat, probably incorporated

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

corona familiar posted:

my neighbor's rear end in a top hat is an LLC

road potato
Dec 19, 2005
I'm going to a wedding next weekend, flying out on Wednesday night. I could book an appointment for an updated vaccine for Monday night. Would there be any added immunity getting the vaccine, or just the increased risk of feeling kinda crummy for a few days leading up to the event?

road potato has issued a correction as of 03:38 on Sep 16, 2023

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

quote:

Given the limited shelf-life for the vaccine doses, many smaller pharmacies and pediatrician offices are waiting and see what the demand is like before ordering their supplies.

Assemblyman John McDonald, a pharmacist who owns Marra's Pharmacy in Cohoes, said the cost to pharmacists is $145 per dose, which may discourage small primary care and pharmacy businesses from carrying the shot.

"To give you a perspective, flu vaccine has been relatively stable for over the past umpteen generations and it's around $25 to $30 a dose," McDonald said. "This is significantly higher, and to be honest with you, for small businesses that's going to cause problems ... Someone's not going to shell out $5,000-$7,000 with the hopes of getting that money back in a month."

That is real grim and although it doesn't surprise me it's come to this, it still sucks rear end

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

fosborb posted:

Wait until BA2.86 has had some time to make a brood.

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord
has anyone successfully used an at home test with poopoo?? for science?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7448643/
Stool specimen SARS-CoV-2 real-time RT-PCR testing. Stool was tested by submerging a rayon-tipped swab into several areas of the specimen to obtain a coating of stool, followed by transfer into 1 ml of 0.85% normal saline. Real-time RT-PCR was then performed using the Xpert Xpress SARS-CoV-2 or Hologic Panther Fusion assays following the package insert instructions for upper respiratory specimen testing.

it sounds like the trick is sampling a very tiny amount, like dont over poo it
and preferably not rear end to mouth

i think it could be helpful to figure out if prolonged gastrointestinal viral infections can be treated and confirmed with testing :2bong:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

road potato posted:

I'm going to a wedding next weekend, flying out on Wednesday night. I could book an appointment for an updated vaccine for Monday night. Would there be any added immunity getting the vaccine, or just the increased risk of feeling kinda crummy for a few days leading up to the event?

borderline cuz them titers are gonna spin up pretty quick but four days is cutting it close

also lmao at this logic we used to poo poo on people for even considering crafting their schedules based on ridiculous marginal poo poo like this here. look how open Biden this thread has become, yeesh

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
[Pestilence] —- dont over poo it

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

god i love capitalism :911:

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
If you don't order any doses of the vaccine, nobody will buy it from you, therefore there's zero demand, so you don't need to order any.

Bing bong; so simple.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

if I go to CVS and tell them again I don't have insurance, will it still be covered like previous vaccines?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
afaik they’re “working on” a program to get some free doses to the uninsured but I have not heard anything about it being deployed yet

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

actionjackson posted:

if I go to CVS and tell them again I don't have insurance, will it still be covered like previous vaccines?

slap your zip code into this and check the bridge access program box. If your CVS is participating it'll be on the website and if it's not check back and if it never pops up you're boned

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Malgrin
Mar 16, 2010

eXXon posted:

I can share some LDN experiences (not mine): no problems getting it in Canada, virtually impossible in Australia (at the time), US got a prescription from a psychiatrist (neuro/rheumatologist could or would not) but insurance either wouldn't cover it or demanded a $150/month copay (IIRC).

US: I had to get a prescription and then see a compounding pharmacy, which insurance wouldn't cover, and a month's supply was like $50 iirc.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
I love that her quotes say "live shows are cool and good and I need to be able to do them!" but also "everyone at my live shows has COVID and if I catch COVID it will destroy me."

Paradoxish has issued a correction as of 06:18 on Sep 16, 2023

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
We have the stools

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

thedavid posted:

So I finally got it.

Covid, that is.

After 3.5 years of not getting it, of being careful, of masking, of vaxxing… One of my wife’s coworkers came to the office while sick. She has had covid like four times before, and said to the wife “I think I have covid” several hours after sharing air in a small office with her.

A quick test later confirmed it. Wife contracted it, and despite us trying to isolate I ended up getting it.

People are loving stupid.

6 days passed and I’m now testing negative again. So I had a question for the thread. I’m trying not to be a fat goon, and did a great job losing like 50 pounds by going to the gym in the last year. I haven’t gone since the exposure, but I’ve been reading people saying that you shouldn’t exercise much immediately following covid. I’d like to keep the weight off - and I keep seeing people saying that they shouldn’t exercise for X days or Y months but am unable to find any actual studies on this.

Is there an accepted amount of time? Are there any studies or is this just a guess?

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I took 3 months off, and we went semi-vegetarian to try to control our weight.

It worked pretty well, most of my weight gain happened during the "woe is me, I got infected" 3 weeks where I allowed myself to binge. After that, lots of chicken breast, fish, wild rice and tofu.

Side benefit, I finally discovered tofu can be delicious

If you're worried about losing the habit, try meditating when you'd normally work out. It has a ton of health benefits, and you're still setting aside that time for self improvement.

Steve Yun posted:

6 weeks minimum is what I read the most but I don’t know if there’s a study to back that up. And they say to start easy like walking

thedavid posted:

that’s a long loving time.

I see so many different timeframes. thanks for the info

Pingui posted:

Well, there is stuff like this:

And in a general sense most acute heart issues seem to taper down to baseline ~4-5 weeks post infection.

So yes, there are studies and the general advice would be 4-6 weeks of rest. However, be less focused on the specific time and be much more cognizant about not forcing yourself also beyond the 4-6 weeks. Give your body a rest until you actually feel ok again, slowly ramp it up and then stop exercising at any signs of trouble or exertion beyond your normal tolerance.

There are substantial and permanent effects of overdoing it, including death, so absolutely do not go for a 10 mile run because of some macho bullshit of keeping your gains. Start with a leisurely walk around the block (don't get yourself stranded by walking out in one direction), see how your feel and how exerted it made you during and afterwards.

IANAD, but I think this follows from the data. Naturally any actual acute symptoms of heart distress should be taken very seriously and you should see a doctor if that happens.

Edit: Also sorry you got got, poo poo sucks :(

Second edit to add an example of the 30 day mark as the return to baseline:

Source: https://www.elsevier.es/es-revista-...JufRpNPuIGh67s1
good posts all around
i posted about it before but i'll post some more, i had msg'ed my doc and they said return to exercise and see how it goes. i went on 2 runs and had to run at a crawling pace (for me) to keep my heartrate down. that was a week ago, and about 1 week after clearing covid. so yeah my resting heart rate is 10-15 higher, and a hill or few flights of stairs and my heartrate is at what would be a jog, it loving sucks.
so i've decided i'm going to take an additional 4 weeks off, so I guess 5 total, and see where i'm at.
it really is a long loving time, i can't imagine 3 months off, just gently caress.
i've already gained a few pounds because of not running while still eating my usual diet, so i need to look at minimizing that so i don't completely blow up, it loving sucks
lol i was going to do a 5k race at the end of oct
lol i was going to do a marathon at the end of nov
i'll maybe still do them??? at a chill pace with walking breaks?? i don't know.
lol being in the best shape of my loving life to having huge heartrate spikes when walking up some hills
:theroni:

Tzen has issued a correction as of 07:46 on Sep 16, 2023

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

SixteenShells posted:

RandomBlue posted:

corona familiar posted:

Modus Pwnens posted:

We have the stools