Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd eat alien cake. For diplomatic reasons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
Hoaxes are so fuckin dumb. The original pre-Internet trolls. It's pathetic people waste time on these endeavors

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
Guess it fuels this thread tho, so who's to say if it's wrong

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Wrong thread

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

ThinkTank posted:

Wrong thread

There's a space port you fool!

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

ThinkTank posted:

The capital cities of the largest civilizations in the known universe each have one bar, one medical centre, a tall building and two gun shops. They each have a population of 45.

This is the space colonization republicans want

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Zefiel posted:

This is the space colonization republicans want

One day they will wear cowboy hats and stare at you blankly with their arms crossed while they tell you to go to Zephlon 2B to find some uranium ore.

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
i had a dream the other day

there was a bouncing UFO that took me in after it scanned me

there was a super chill spot with some super chill people welcoming me

then there was this book reading area where a bunch of people were reading books

then i had some italian pizza with my brother and cousin.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It also ties back into the old "fearsome critters" folklore that lumberjacks used to invent such as hoop snakes, snallygasters, glawuckas, goofus birds, agropelters, etc etc.. Bored dudes have been making up tall tales about weird critters hiding in the American woods for centuries, and some of them turned into jokey folkore that gets sold as tourist souvenirs (jackalopes, etc) and some turn into bizarre national obsessions (bigfoot, dogmen, aliens, etc)

The hodag was an interesting case, it started out as a pretty obvious tall tale and featured in several Paul Bunyan stories but it briefly crossed over into cryptozoology territory in the 1890s until those spoilsport nerds at The Smithsonian rained on everyone's parade:

Slide-Rock Bolter is my favourite. A whale that catches it's prey by sliding down a mountain side, and hangs onto mountain tops by it's hooked tail.

naem
May 29, 2011

I’d like to apologize to all believers/skeptics by pointing out that I am also a moron

and that people seem drawn to opposite ends of the argument spectrum instead of having some kind of dialogue in-between like, ever?

we can all agree that this is all very interesting and fun but the fact that people are dumb is also interesting and fun to point out

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Dr. Heart Collapse posted:

i had a dream the other day

there was a bouncing UFO that took me in after it scanned me

there was a super chill spot with some super chill people welcoming me

then there was this book reading area where a bunch of people were reading books

then i had some italian pizza with my brother and cousin.

No one cares about dreams. They are pointless and stupid.

Now if this had all come to you under hypnosis conducted by a "expert" then now we're talking memory regression, baby!

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

I was loving around in GPT4 and I asked it about the UFO/UAP thing and when I asked it about things that are similar to the UAP stuff it mentioned cryptocurrency as something similar. I thought that seemed pretty apt actually.

quote:

is there any kind of thing in modern times that has the same kind of reach and culture surrounding it? If so, can you give an example?

Absolutely, there are quite a few phenomena in modern times that have similar reach and cultural significance, albeit in different domains. Take cryptocurrency, for example. Just like the UFO community, the world of cryptocurrency has a fervent, almost cult-like following. There are evangelists, skeptics, and everything in between. People pour over "sacred texts" (white papers, Twitter threads from crypto gurus), attend "mass gatherings" (conferences, webinars), and engage in "ritualistic practices" (mining, trading, HODLing).

Cryptocurrency also straddles that fine line between credible and speculative. You've got legitimate use-cases, serious investors, and mainstream financial institutions taking it seriously. But then you've also got scams, incredible volatility, and a lot of hand-wavy speculation about what "could be."

Like UAP discussions, the crypto world has its share of government attention and regulation, which lends it some degree of legitimacy while also fueling a myriad of conspiracy theories.

The significant difference is the nature of the subject. Crypto is financial and somewhat grounded in computer science and economics, while UFOs tap into cosmic wonder and existential questions about human life. Yet both have a sort of "quasi-religious" culture, with believers looking for a form of "salvation" — whether that's in the form of disrupting traditional finance or finally understanding what lies beyond our pale blue dot.

So yes, while the topic may be different, the intensity and cultural fervor surrounding cryptocurrency could be seen as a modern parallel to the fascination with UAPs or aliens. Both inspire deep devotion, endless debate, and they draw people into a larger, almost transcendent, narrative.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

naem posted:

I’d like to apologize to all believers/skeptics by pointing out that I am also a moron

and that people seem drawn to opposite ends of the argument spectrum instead of having some kind of dialogue in-between like, ever?

we can all agree that this is all very interesting and fun but the fact that people are dumb is also interesting and fun to point out
And how does that work out between flat-earthers and globists, or creationists and all of science?

It's the same difference here. You can't have a conversation because one "side" is just an online cult at this point.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Tarkus posted:

I was loving around in GPT4 and I asked it about the UFO/UAP thing and when I asked it about things that are similar to the UAP stuff it mentioned cryptocurrency as something similar. I thought that seemed pretty apt actually.

Because there are tons of movies, books, TV shows, and videogames centrally focused around crypto for decades?

Thinking AI does any analysis is foolhardy. It's a gibberish engine which can spit out sentences (which pass only the faintest levels of scrutiny). There is no knowledge gained.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

No. 6 posted:

Because there are tons of movies, books, TV shows, and videogames centrally focused around crypto for decades?

Thinking AI does any analysis is foolhardy. It's a gibberish engine which can spit out sentences (which pass only the faintest levels of scrutiny). There is no knowledge gained.

cryptoking6539 has entered the thread.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

LOL not even. I hate that poo poo.

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?
Hey guys I saw a UFO

*Pie plates on string in front of a scratched up lens*

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Vakal posted:

Now if this had all come to you under hypnosis conducted by a "expert" then now we're talking memory regression, baby!

i have spirits that i talk to that love watching my dreams

in person they may be more entertaining than when described

my dream was intensely magical

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Dr. Heart Collapse posted:

i have spirits that i talk to that love watching my dreams

in person they may be more entertaining than when described

my dream was intensely magical

This place is a dream... and part of a system of dreams... pay attention to it!

Watching this dream was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This dream is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed was fantasized here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about dreams.

Dr. Heart Collapse
Oct 30, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DandyLion posted:

This place is a dream... and part of a system of dreams... pay attention to it!

Watching this dream was important to us. We considered ourselves to be a powerful culture.

This dream is not a place of honor... no highly esteemed deed was fantasized here... nothing valued is here.

What is here was dangerous and repulsive to us. This message is a warning about dreams.

i understand you

i think of the fantasy world

the dream world

the beyond world

as more real than the immediate world that doesn't function properly

that doesn't reward properly

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I have knowledge of individuals with evidence of high resolution photography of uaps.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Stocky Manhood posted:

Hey guys I saw a UFO

*Pie plates on string in front of a scratched up lens*

91423_2
Sep 14, 2023
UFOs: Real loving Miserable

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

naem posted:

Oh I'm goddamn fascinated by the entire thing and have been for decades. I grew up watching SPOOOOOOOOKY shows like In Search Of:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK4PGCQQ4Oc

..... and reading SPOOOOOOOKY books like this:

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

There's an excellent book called "Round In Circles" by Jim Schnabel which goes into the history of the crop circles phenomenon and the scientists who spent years and years studying it. They broke into two main camps: scientists who were absolutely adamant that the crop circles were a natural phenomenon caused by localized tornadoes and scientists who were absolutely adamant that they were being caused by alien visitors. They feuded for years and years over their pet theories, writing up papers and published regular "cerealogy' journals and holding seminars and flying in guest lecturers from overseas and doing media interviews and rushing around documenting new crop circles whenever they appeared and holding weeklong "field trips" where they monitored fields and tried to collect footage of crop circles being created.
Spoiler: the entire 'phenomenon' was just a hoax, and always had been. The author of the book should know, he was one of the main offenders and had created dozens and dozens of crop circles over the years which the scientists swore couldn't possibly have been made by humans.

It seems like a version of this is happening with the UAPs where people argue over whether the physics defying UAPs are aliens or new secret super drones, but we haven't seen any evidence at all of either.
Any evidence that's been shown is so far all easily explained as balloons, camera artifacts or birds.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
There are 3 options
1 Aliens
2 drunk rednecks
3 Actually aliens.
All three are pretty fun

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

All three will gently caress

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Communist Thoughts posted:

It seems like a version of this is happening with the UAPs where people argue over whether the physics defying UAPs are aliens or new secret super drones, but we haven't seen any evidence at all of either.
Any evidence that's been shown is so far all easily explained as balloons, camera artifacts or birds.

The same thing happened with bigfootery, with people coming up with crazy theories to explain why it can keep avoiding being spotted by more people or filmed on video or trailcams which eventually became accepted wisdom across large parts of the community. Bigfoot can see in the infrared spectrum so it can sense trailcam sensors! Bigfoot is telepathic and knows when you're looking for it! Bigfoot can use infrasound attacks to make people feel unwell and scare them away from its territory! Bigfoot is an extra-dimensional being which can hop between planes of existence to avoid people! Bigfoots are aliens and they go back home on their spaceships!

They've written lots of books about this poo poo:

It's pretty much the equivalent Mitch Hedberg joke about "Bigfoot is actually blurry" to explain why Science can never pin it down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LwFrKUeChY

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

If there is one constant of all the numerous types of aliens from all the planets and dimensions, it's that they are down to gently caress. It's tye constant of the universe. Makes you think.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost
How do you gently caress a 4 dimensional being? Put it in their time slot?

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
I reckon if I ever get to retire im going to get heavily into weed and join a Inter-dimensional Psychic Sasquatch cult. Sounds like a good time.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
2d beings it's nothing but dimensional paper cuts.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

How do you gently caress a 4 dimensional being? Put it in their time slot?

It turns out that what we assumed were "anal probes" were actually temporal anchors which opened your root chakra to the 4th dimension energy

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Handle with Caution
Nap Ghost

It turns out that what we assumed were "anal probes" were actually temporal anchors which opened your root chakra to the 4th dimension energy

what is the loving point? That weirdo who got a move made about him? What was their point?

The Alchemist
Dec 12, 2010
We were probably aliens once but then overstayed our welcome, ever think of that?

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I only have one chakra and it only works if the aliens can spit on it

Stocky Manhood
Jul 29, 2014

Can I get a hat wobble?

This changes everything

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

Vakal posted:

I had a dream I was the winner of Squid game and was having lunch at a squid game themed restaurant, the manager tried to rip me off by only half filling my drink and I complained to my date who was Margot Robbie as seen in the Barbie movie, and she told him off because she was the owner of the chain.

Dreams are awesome is my point,

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I think it's safe assume there is much we have left to learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Aliens have been hiding on plain head this entire time!

MAD HATTERS KNEW!!!