Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Fellow E9X M3 owners - how graunchy are your rear diffs at low speed? I've been noticing more and more noise coming from the back during tight low-speed turns and was wondering if it was a sign that the diff is wearing out. It's specifically worse with a small amount of throttle applied, but it's present with no throttle as well.

Also, I have an issue with the power steering that is driving me nuts. I'm running the Turner pulley kit which comes with its own belts, and ever since installing it I've experienced very bad belt slippage for a period after starting the car. It's not just the noise that's an issue, it's very obvious that the PS system pressure drops significantly at the same time and the wheels don't turn. Once the system is warm the issue goes away and I haven't experienced any steering problems so far during spirited mountain driving, but I'm concerned that at some point in the future the belt will slip during hard cornering (i.e. when the pressure demand is highest) and put me into a tree/wall/canal.

Clearly the belt tension is a problem, however I've replaced the belt tensioners and I'm still experiencing the problem. I'm not used to 'auto' belt tensioners - on older cars I'd just crank the adjustment a bit further until the slipping stops, but I don't think the S65 has any such manual adjustment capability.

What I'm left with at the moment is either the belt that came with the kit was wrong, or the pump itself has a fault, or there's some other fault with the steering rack, and/or I screwed up the installation. My car is a 09/2007 build and I requested the correct Turner kit i.e. with the PS belt going 'over' the pulley rather than under.

Any ideas on either problem?

My E90 is totally stock when it comes to belt/PS stuff so I don't have much info there other than to say if you have the original parts throw them back on and see if you still end up with the noise. That would isolate the pump being an issue.

For the diff, I believe there was a TSB update for the fluid used in early model year E9X M cars. Something to do with a different weight + friction modifier additive. If you have high miles then it could be time for a rebuild. Like Ether Frenzy said these take time to warm up and if you are doing tight turns at low speed you will hear a "clunk". I would inspect your rear diff mount bushings as well. Age and mileage might have had their way with those and the "normal" amount of clunking could be exacerbated by your diff moving around a lot more than it should.

the milk machine posted:

my e39 m5 is coming up on needing a clutch; my mechanic predicted it and it's started to noticeably slip in higher gears

what are the "while you're in there" things to consider adding on to a new clutch? i'm assuming the clutch job itself will be 2500-3000 bucks :(

Do the master and slave cylinders for the clutch. Probably a rear main seal on the engine since you are already in there. Just buy OEM transmission and engine mounts and have those done at the same time. Compared to the cost of what you are doing it will not be any added labor time. I probably wouldn't replace the fluids if they are 10K miles and a couple years old.

Definitely watch the cooling system. When one thing fails with that era of car it is worth it to just replace every single component (thermostat/housing/clutch fan/hoses/radiator/water pump). At this point I would just say stick with all OEM parts for that. They all have about the same life expectancy so there isn't really one component worth getting aftermarket "upgrade" because something else will just fail around that. Don't buy cheap non-OEM parts because they will fail sooner.

The real benefit of having an actual M car and doing prescribed maintenance with OEM parts is that you will have an easier time selling the car when it comes time, and will be able to list at a higher price. A stack of receipts showing ORIGINAL BMW parts will make that so much easier. FCP Euro, Bimmerworld and Pelican are places to shop and compare prices.

Yes. I would buy an E36 M3 before I would buy that. Really tidy engine though, looks dry which is impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Do the master and slave cylinders for the clutch. Probably a rear main seal on the engine since you are already in there. Just buy OEM transmission and engine mounts and have those done at the same time. Compared to the cost of what you are doing it will not be any added labor time. I probably wouldn't replace the fluids if they are 10K miles and a couple years old.

Definitely watch the cooling system. When one thing fails with that era of car it is worth it to just replace every single component (thermostat/housing/clutch fan/hoses/radiator/water pump). At this point I would just say stick with all OEM parts for that. They all have about the same life expectancy so there isn't really one component worth getting aftermarket "upgrade" because something else will just fail around that. Don't buy cheap non-OEM parts because they will fail sooner.

The real benefit of having an actual M car and doing prescribed maintenance with OEM parts is that you will have an easier time selling the car when it comes time, and will be able to list at a higher price. A stack of receipts showing ORIGINAL BMW parts will make that so much easier. FCP Euro, Bimmerworld and Pelican are places to shop and compare prices.

great advice, thank you

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Fellow E9X M3 owners - how graunchy are your rear diffs at low speed? I've been noticing more and more noise coming from the back during tight low-speed turns and was wondering if it was a sign that the diff is wearing out. It's specifically worse with a small amount of throttle applied, but it's present with no throttle as well.

Also, I have an issue with the power steering that is driving me nuts. I'm running the Turner pulley kit which comes with its own belts, and ever since installing it I've experienced very bad belt slippage for a period after starting the car. It's not just the noise that's an issue, it's very obvious that the PS system pressure drops significantly at the same time and the wheels don't turn. Once the system is warm the issue goes away and I haven't experienced any steering problems so far during spirited mountain driving, but I'm concerned that at some point in the future the belt will slip during hard cornering (i.e. when the pressure demand is highest) and put me into a tree/wall/canal.

Clearly the belt tension is a problem, however I've replaced the belt tensioners and I'm still experiencing the problem. I'm not used to 'auto' belt tensioners - on older cars I'd just crank the adjustment a bit further until the slipping stops, but I don't think the S65 has any such manual adjustment capability.

What I'm left with at the moment is either the belt that came with the kit was wrong, or the pump itself has a fault, or there's some other fault with the steering rack, and/or I screwed up the installation. My car is a 09/2007 build and I requested the correct Turner kit i.e. with the PS belt going 'over' the pulley rather than under.

Any ideas on either problem?

Wanted to post the TSB. I needed to do this when I swapped in an M3 diff; there is friction modifier you can add to quiet the diff up... recommend changing fluid while you are in there... mine was nasty.

Attached is what my fluid looked like before and after... :vomit:

quote:

This Service Information bulletin supersedes SI B33 01 02 dated February 2008.

SUBJECT
Grinding Noise from the Differential during Slow Cornering

MODEL
E46 M3 from start of production

E60 M5 from start of production

E63, E64 M6 from start of production

E90, E92 and E93 M3 from start of production

SITUATION
A grinding noise may be heard coming from the differential during slow cornering.

This noise is best heard during tight cornering situations.
For example : while parallel parking, driving in a tight circle, etc.

CAUSE
When the rear wheel speed differential varies during tight cornering, a slip stick effect is created on the lining and steel discs incorporated in the differential locking clutch, causing the grinding noise.

This noise typically goes away as the locking clutch discs in the differential are broken in.

The break-in time varies depending on driving habits.
For example : tighter cornering (working the locking clutch) means that it takes less time to break in the locking clutch discs.

CORRECTION
If a complaint is verified as described above on the E46 M3; E60 M5; E63 and E64 M6; or on the E90, E92 and E93 M3 vehicles, the differential oil should be replaced with a specially formulated differential oil, BMW part number 83 22 2 282 583.

Road test the vehicle.

With the vehicle at operating temperature
Drive in tight circles (20 circles in each direction), allowing the special oil to coat the locking clutch discs.

The grinding noise will decrease when the locking clutch discs are sufficiently coated. Some slight noises may still be heard after driving in tight circles. Its necessary to drive the vehicle up to 600 miles before all noises are eliminated as stated by the manufacturer.

Note: Vehicles that have had the differential oil converted to this special oil should continue to use this oil whenever a service requiring the differential oil replacement is indicated.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Oh thats super neat thanks for posting! Also I am going to make some assumption that the same diff is used in all those models it seems like?

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

TheBacon posted:

Oh thats super neat thanks for posting! Also I am going to make some assumption that the same diff is used in all those models it seems like?

Great question. I believe they are all clutch pack but differing R&P size, ratio and/or case size differences.

I have a 2.81 that I need to install in mine. 3.15 is insane compared to the 2.56 I had before.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I don’t think they’re all the same diff, but my guess is they use similar technology/design and probably the same original fluid from the factory, and BMW’s quality department probably saw enough issues with the fluid in those designs to recommend a change for all.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Could smell some oil and saw it come out of the vents again this morning :negative:

Wonder if I rolled the gasket when I put the new valve cover on? It has been on for at least a couple thousand miles now, figured something would have shown up before now.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
BMW life isn't about 'deserve' it's about 'believe' - i'm a believer in doing the same job a few times. Possibly for no discernable reason.

Fuller9x
Feb 15, 2005

Gimme Milk

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

I have the Traffic Jam Assistant (fka ADAP) on my I4 and it is very handy on highways in traffic jams. Now that weed is legal in MD it's nice to be able to let bmw take the wheel for a min while I take a fat rip off a bubbler without having to use my knee to keep control

Besides ripping a fatty and setting the ACC for full Audi, how has the i4 been treating you? You have the M50? I don't want to clog up the serious squirter chat in the electric thread, but I'm seriously looking at trading the 340 in on the xdrive40 and using that to learn on when they drop to see me through to the NK 3 series.

What's it like to live with on a daily basis. Typically BMW or are there some quirks that annoy you?
What is the real range you're seeing city / highway and then any serious drop for winter (Obviously East coast cold 31F vs prairie cold -15F)
How do the seperate motors handle the snow and ice?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Got a flat and dealing with some tire availability issues while traveling. Can't be repaired. It's an X5 M50i with 22s. How sensitive is the car in going into limp mode or damaging linkages, transmission, etc? Tire shop seems to be concerned that putting on slightly different tire sizes, even a set of 4, would put it in limp mode. But they don't seem to actually know.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Internet Explorer posted:

Got a flat and dealing with some tire availability issues while traveling. Can't be repaired. It's an X5 M50i with 22s. How sensitive is the car in going into limp mode or damaging linkages, transmission, etc? Tire shop seems to be concerned that putting on slightly different tire sizes, even a set of 4, would put it in limp mode. But they don't seem to actually know.

Are they staggered or squared? If it's a square setup size shouldn't matter if you do all of them. With a staggered setup I think you'd just need to hit the same overall diameter front and rear?

e: definitely a little visible oil on the passenger side of the valve cover in spots. I'm gonna start with the PCV vent hose as I didn't replace that when I did the valve cover. I doubt it fixes anything though as there was a little suction instead of pressure when I loosened the oil cap.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

These are staggered.
275/35R22 front
315/30R22 rear

This is what tire rack says for it. The actual tires are the Continental Premiumcontact 6.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/Tire...performance=ALL

The official answer is that it could only be replaced with a tire with the exact same dimensions. The unofficial answer was that it could be within 0.25 inches, but I am not confident of that's width, tire tread width, or height. The tire place wanted that in writing and the BMW dealership wouldn't make any recommendation in writing that wasn't the same tire/dimensions.

I knew these were going to be somewhat finicky, but after this experience I am definitely going to be swapping my summer wheels/tires to something that I can actually get when needed. The low profile tire probably allowed the blowout to happen in this case, and I live somewhere rural enough that the extra sidewall will help with comfort as well.

I'm surprised at what a clusterfuck this has been. I was even open to swapping all 4 tires, or even wheels and tires. The brake caliper sizing was an issue there. I think we lucked out and found a set of MICHELIN PILOT SPORT 4S that will work and can get here tomorrow. But that's like 48 hours to get a tire replaced and is the absolute best case scenario. Otherwise it's like a week.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
They're probably talking about tire height, which will also give you circumference / rev per mile. If it makes you feel better, there is already a .2" difference in tire height with your current stagger.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I appreciate that. I feel fine, but apparently the tire place felt differently. And a real bummer that BMW is so strict about their tire recommendations, but I guess that's BMW for you. I'd be more understanding if it was a specific BMW part we were waiting on, but all this trouble over tires seems a bit much.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

I appreciate that. I feel fine, but apparently the tire place felt differently. And a real bummer that BMW is so strict about their tire recommendations, but I guess that's BMW for you. I'd be more understanding if it was a specific BMW part we were waiting on, but all this trouble over tires seems a bit much.

This is one of the issues with big weird size performance tires, they're not exactly sitting around even in cities full of car people in the actual size you need in a lot of cases.

Triple AAA will tow you up to 100 miles if you're somewhere in the boonies that can't get the sizes in a reasonable amount of time/you're on a trip, but it sounds like you'll have the tires tomorrow so probably not worth the effort.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, definitely lesson learned on my part. I knew they'd be specific and finicky, but not to this degree. I probably could get BMW roadside assistance to help, but they'd likely want to tow it ~5 hours in the wrong direction to the closest dealer (even the dealer has a delay to get the tire), and at that point it just seems to make more sense to bring the tires to me.

Appreciate the thoughts. If anyone has more to share, I'm all ears! Along with recommendations on wheels/tires to change to in the future that would still be good and easier to find.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
there have been people for over a year now having issues finding donk sized X5 replacement tires.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=748

glad I stayed with the square 20" setup :chord:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

Fuller9x posted:

Besides ripping a fatty and setting the ACC for full Audi, how has the i4 been treating you? You have the M50? I don't want to clog up the serious squirter chat in the electric thread, but I'm seriously looking at trading the 340 in on the xdrive40 and using that to learn on when they drop to see me through to the NK 3 series.

What's it like to live with on a daily basis. Typically BMW or are there some quirks that annoy you?
What is the real range you're seeing city / highway and then any serious drop for winter (Obviously East coast cold 31F vs prairie cold -15F)
How do the seperate motors handle the snow and ice?

It's a great car. I have the Edrive40, which is plenty sporty. I think in both cases of the 40 and the M50 the acceleration is better than advertised. I would have loved the Xdrive option as a great middle ground for power and range.

I'm in Maryland and lifetime I'm getting 3.3 mi/kWh which puts me at about 260 miles of range and when I've taken it out to the beach (160 mostly highway miles) it takes about 60% of the battery so it mostly tracks. We had a cold snap here over the winter where it was 10*f and it took the range down probably to about 140mi on a 90% charge. I recall white knuckling it on the way home from a poker tournament that I won but was 60mi each way and was getting a lot of anxiety making it back at 2am with a 8% charge.

I believe the Xdrive has better battery conditioning though which probably helps.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Keyser_Soze posted:

there have been people for over a year now having issues finding donk sized X5 replacement tires.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=748

glad I stayed with the square 20" setup :chord:

Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not an idiot and that this is all just stupidly complicated.

What are you running with your 20" square setup? That's likely what I'll be looking towards.

Internet Explorer fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Sep 15, 2023

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Well, I'm glad to hear that I'm not an idiot and that this is all just stupidly complicated.

What are you running with your 29" square setup? That's likely what I'll be looking towards.

I have the stock 740M 20"s that came on the 2023 X5 4.0 M-Sport i got back in February before the 2024 LCI updates. They don't "Fill" the wheel gaps like the 22's do, but still look good to me and feel a bit more comfortable for sure. It came with some Bridgestone Alienza RFT's that are not great but not horrible. Thankfully, there appears to be quite a few tire choices in the 275x45 R20 size once it's time to replace.

https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2045019

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Thanks for sharing. Great looking ride.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

No poo poo there I was. Driving my e46 on a nice straight 2-lane country highway. Not a cloud in the sky. I was thinking to myself how happy I was with myself for buying it. A slower car turns off in front of me and I press down on the pedal to let the straight 6 work it's magic. Except the second engine goes above 2200 rpm it starts running really rough and the yellow SERVICE ENGINE SOON light comes on. :smith:

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Already down 46 E's and you've lost some more.

Hopefully it's not too serious.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
"it's called personality" i mutter to myself as my clutch slips in third gear

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
I don't really care that this is the nth time I've pulled the cluster out of one of my E30s tbh

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Lightbulb Out posted:

I don't really care that this is the nth time I've pulled the cluster out of one of my E30s tbh

can you post the e30(s)? my first bmw was an 89 325is

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
Me, removing the radiator fan for who knows why this time: I can't believe my friends can't see the appeal of this modern classic

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

the milk machine posted:

can you post the e30(s)? my first bmw was an 89 325is

Lightbulb Out posted:

gently caress marry kill

i dont have the e30 318i anymore or the nonpictured e36/5 but here are the latest e30 images

i desperately need new tires for the set of ronal LS i have for the 87 but i have been too lazy to do anything about it

i also need new tires on those kosei k1s

i also need new tires on the team dynamics wheels

maybe next year

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

Lightbulb Out posted:

post/username ccccombo

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

That first picture is one of the horniest pictures I've ever seen.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Goddamn, the e30 is still a really good looking car.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I miss owning an e30, what a fun car to drive.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Lightbulb Out posted:

i dont have the e30 318i anymore or the nonpictured e36/5 but here are the latest e30 images

i desperately need new tires for the set of ronal LS i have for the 87 but i have been too lazy to do anything about it

maybe next year

God drat

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

K1s are so good on an e30

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Lightbulb Out posted:

maybe next year

That coherent design language. :fap:

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

Big Taint posted:

post/username ccccombo

don’t worry this time it was the odometer gears

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Looks like there's oil seeping from a few spots around my valve cover. There are 2 bolts I can get to without pulling anything off. One had a little room before hitting the torque spec... The idiot that installed it definitely used a torque wrench :v: . I ordered a new PCV vent hose as well as a gasket. When I do the vent hose I'll check the other bolts and see if that fixes my issue.

Elite Taco
Feb 3, 2010
I finally went after my A/C compressor - I was worried it would be an all day thing. I guess I'm a proficient wrencher cause I had the old (dead, seized) unit out in about an hour. I got the new (amazon) unit in and bolted up and was connecting the coolant lines, when I realized I hadn't connected the electrical line yet. I went to plug that and found that my unit that bolted up correctly did not have a matching connector.

Womp.

gently caress it, I will simply patch in the connector from the old (dead, seized) unit.

Jackie the Mick
Nov 10, 2003
Don' say we neva did nuthin fah yuz.
Hello everyone. About a block from my house my 2016 M235i gave me a warning that I needed coolant, and well...It Has Happened.

Something has sure sprung a leak. Luckily, I was close to home, but it still kinda sucks. It's only got 49k miles on it, and this is the first problem I've had. (aside from having to replace the washer pump, but that was like, $20 and 30 minutes.)

I'll get into it tomorrow and see if I can find out what is actually happening here, but does anyone have any guesses? My gut says plastic radiator bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

When that happened to Mrs Jackson's 335 it was the coolant vapor hardline from the upper radiator pipe to the expansion tank. $50 and 10 minutes to swap.