Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

RandomBlue posted:

this is america, literally everything is a business

that hospital, incorporated
that church, incorporated
that homeless shelter, incorporated
that prison, incorporated
your rear end in a top hat neighbor, probably incorporated

I incorporated twice this week :v

due to weird legal reasons I had to make multiple consultant groups because America

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Bastard Tetris posted:

I incorporated twice this week :v

due to weird legal reasons I had to make multiple consultant groups because America

I'm incorporating right now

MLK Ultra
Mar 9, 2021

Seconding the possibility that unfathomably violent shits are going around.

Source: Radio Shatter.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Was watching on the ground coverage of the UAW strikes yesterday and not a single person interviewed by Status Coup was wearing a mask. Why are all these so-called lefties supporting these COVID-loving genociders??????

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Seems fine.

https://fortune.com/well/2023/09/16/united-states-covid-levels-approach-first-pandemic-peak-2020-who-urges-vaccination-boosters-high-risk/ posted:

COVID levels are so high, they’re hovering near 2020’s initial peak, as the WHO urges those at high risk to take any booster they can get their hands on

U.S. COVID infections are hovering near levels of the pandemic’s first peak in 2020, and approaching the Delta peak of late 2021, according to wastewater surveillance and modeling by forecasters.

It’s yet another sign that while the official pandemic state may be over, the days of COVID are far from it.

Viral wastewater levels are not far behind all of the pandemic’s 2020 peaks except for one—the initial peak of March 2020, which they’ve already surpassed. And they lag just slightly levels seen during the deadly Delta peak of late 2021, according to Biobot Analytics, which monitors such data for the federal government.

A forecast issued this week by Jay Weiland, a leading COVID modeler, came to the same conclusions. On Thursday, Weiland estimated that 650,000 Americans are becoming infected daily, with 1 in 51 Americans currently infected with COVID.
(..)
Both Biobot data and Wieland’s modeling show U.S. cases beginning to recede. But they may not fall much more, if any, before the anticipated fall and winter surge.

WHO flags concerning trend
Infections aside, COVID hospitalizations and deaths are continuing to rise, according to the latest data available from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hospitalizations rose nearly 9% from Aug. 27 through Sept. 2, the most recent period for which the federal health agency made data available. And deaths rose nearly 5% from Sept. 3-9.

The World Health Organization continues to receive reports on concerning COVID trends, including a growing number of countries reporting an increase in infections, hospitalizations, and ICU admissions, Maria Van Kerkhove, technical lead for COVID-19 response, said at a Thursday news conference.
(..)
Rising concern for troublesome ‘flip’ mutations
While the United States’ “variant soup” remained largely unchanged Friday, according to new data released by the CDC, experts continued to sound alarm bells about a rising proportion of variants that share the same concerning mutations.

Around 93% of U.S. COVID sequences over the past month contain the mutation F486P, Raj Rajnarayanan—assistant dean of research and associate professor at the New York Institute of Technology campus in Jonesboro, Ark., and a top COVID-variant tracker—told Fortune on Friday. The mutation, located on the spike protein, increases the virus’s ability to effectively infect by binding more tightly with human cells. Rajnarayanan refers to it as this season’s signature mutation.

About half of U.S. sequences in over the same period picked up the F456L mutation, also in the spike protein, he said. The mutation makes the virus better at evading immunity from vaccination and prior infection. All top U.S. lineages have this mutation, he added.

What’s more, top lineages are also beginning to pick up the spike mutation L455F, which proffers further ease of infecting cells, Rajnarayanan added.

Variant trackers refer to the F456L and L455F mutations as “flip” mutations, for complex scientific reasons involving amino acid changes. The duo is becoming one of the most concerning trends of the season, experts say, with nearly 20% of wastewater samples tracked by Biobot containing such mutations.
(..)
Once again this fall and winter, no one variant may gain a major advantage over others, experts say. But variants with the “flip combo” likely to become dominant and pose this season’s largest issue.

What’s more, it’s likely that highly mutated variant “Pirola” BA.2.86 picks up “flip” at some point, Rajnarayanan said, making it more of an issue—and potentially granting it the ability to spread more effectively.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Tzen posted:

good posts all around
i posted about it before but i'll post some more, i had msg'ed my doc and they said return to exercise and see how it goes. i went on 2 runs and had to run at a crawling pace (for me) to keep my heartrate down. that was a week ago, and about 1 week after clearing covid. so yeah my resting heart rate is 10-15 higher, and a hill or few flights of stairs and my heartrate is at what would be a jog, it loving sucks.
so i've decided i'm going to take an additional 4 weeks off, so I guess 5 total, and see where i'm at.
it really is a long loving time, i can't imagine 3 months off, just gently caress.
i've already gained a few pounds because of not running while still eating my usual diet, so i need to look at minimizing that so i don't completely blow up, it loving sucks
lol i was going to do a 5k race at the end of oct
lol i was going to do a marathon at the end of nov
i'll maybe still do them??? at a chill pace with walking breaks?? i don't know.
lol being in the best shape of my loving life to having huge heartrate spikes when walking up some hills
:theroni:
posting to say yes, not running SUCKS, but it’s worth it. I did t run from January to June of this year to rehab my Achilles.

you’ll get back into it alright

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
On its face this sounds great, but I notice they include variant specific versions to say it protects against variants (which would be the main concern with a narrower footprint). Considering the way COVID vaccination campaigns are going, that sounds potentially worse:

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2023-09-moderna-reveals-highly-covid-vaccine.html posted:

Moderna reveals new highly targeted COVID-19 vaccine mRNA-1283

Moderna has developed a new and improved version of its COVID-19 vaccine. The unique formulation (mRNA-1283) reduces the vaccine's content from the full-length SARS-CoV-2 spike protein to a narrowly focused encoding of just two segments—the N-terminal domain (NTD) and the receptor binding domain (RBD).

In a paper, "Domain-based mRNA vaccines encoding spike protein N-terminal and receptor binding domains confer protection against SARS-CoV-2," published in Science Translational Medicine, Moderna Inc. researchers share findings of the new vaccine.

Some of the highlights of the new formula include:
  • Improved antigen expression: mRNA-1283 demonstrated improved antigen expression compared to the clinically available mRNA-1273, which encodes the full-length spike protein. This suggests that mRNA-1283 can produce higher levels of the target antigens.
  • Enhanced antibody responses: When administered as a primary series, booster, or variant-specific booster, mRNA-1283 elicited similar or greater immune responses than the original mRNA-1273.
  • Greater stability: mRNA-1283 showed greater stability at refrigerated temperatures (2° to 8°C). Specifically, mRNA-1283 reached 62% of its initial integrity at 12 months when stored at 2° to 8°C, while the original version reached 63% integrity after only six months under the same conditions, effectively doubling the shelf life.
  • Dose-sparing: mRNA-1283 demonstrated the ability to elicit effective immunogenic responses even at lower doses, suggesting the possibility of dose-sparing, which could reduce potential reactogenicity.
  • Protection against variants: mRNA-1283, including variant-specific versions, produced more significant neutralizing antibody (nAb) responses against variants such as B.1.351 and B.1.617.2 compared to mRNA-1273, indicating its effectiveness against emerging variants.
(..)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Pingui posted:

Seems fine.

:negative:

road potato
Dec 19, 2005

Gunshow Poophole posted:

borderline cuz them titers are gonna spin up pretty quick but four days is cutting it close

also lmao at this logic we used to poo poo on people for even considering crafting their schedules based on ridiculous marginal poo poo like this here. look how open Biden this thread has become, yeesh

I wish I had been thinking about it more actively and tried to squeeze it in on Friday. Also I don't know what 'open Biden" means.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

road potato posted:

(..)
I don't know what 'open Biden" means.

It is a reference to this (which is about reopening schools):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwoUzgDLM7E

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I don't think this is actually robustly true, as I believe the nominal tracking of the US economy has been hollowed out to an extent where there is a more or less complete disconnect to material reality, but nevertheless I think there is something to be said for the affects of COVID on the overall sentiment of the population, particularly as it pertains to ~vibes~ type measurements.

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2023-09-15/why-are-american-consumers-still-so-gloomy-blame-covid posted:

Why Are Consumers Still So Gloomy? Blame Covid.
Many explanations have been given for why sentiment has failed to rebound to pre-pandemic levels despite the strong economy, but only one is plausible.

Americans are downbeat about the economy, even as inflation rates rapidly decline back toward more normal levels, the unemployment rate has held below 4% for the longest stretch since the late 1960s and economists race to raise their growth forecasts. And yet, sentiment has been at levels typically seen in recessions since the start of the pandemic.

Lots of reasons have been given for the gloominess, including political partisanship, the media’s focus on negative news stories and bad “vibes” in general. There’s another, less talked about but more likely explanation for the disconnect: Covid-19 itself. The timing is clear, sentiment plunged at the start of the pandemic but failed to rebound when the economy re-opened and snapped back. In terms of sentiment, the pandemic caused a sudden increase in pessimism that hasn’t gone away.
(..)
It would be a mistake to dismiss sentiment when thinking about current conditions. For instance, it could resolve what some view as a puzzle in consumer spending, which has remained strong in the face of faster inflation and rising interest rates. How? Later this month the Bureau of Economic Analysis will revise official statistics such as GDP and consumer spending, and we may learn that expenditures were not as strong as the initial estimates and hew closer to the dour sentiment. It’s happened before. The break in income expectations after the Great Recession helped predict a sizeable downward revision in income, which lined up better with weak spending. Sometimes, one puzzle helps resolve another.

The question is, how long will this Covid-19 pessimism last? Prominent economic disruptions in the pandemic, like global supply chains and labor shortages, are basically back to normal. But that’s the economics. Sentiment has a broader lens, and so far the extra pessimism from the pandemic persists. And with Covid-19 cases rising once again, it may not end anytime soon.

At least I think the failure of (previously) broadly trusted institutions like the CDC, has substantially eroded the social contract for a part of the population that had previously been isolated.

Archived link: https://archive.li/WK74U

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Yeah, I'd say the economic pessimism that is baffling economists is just a result of massively and clearly degraded material conditions for tens of millions of people, but erosion of faith in institutions definitely seems to be a thing. Government mouthpieces and the media constantly and loudly chiding people for acknowledging the reality of their situation is probably not helping things, though, and I doubt it's doing much to restore that lost faith.

Basically, it's not really surprising that gaslighting as public policy is resulting in the vibes being off.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Imagine being one of the 7% of losers caught without F486P, this season’s signature mutation.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

tangy yet delightful posted:

10 days into the new school year. My daughter came home with congestion today, now I've found out that one of her table classmates earlier this week was wearing a mask then the next day wasn't. I'm no Sherlock Holmes but I'm probably in danger. Hopefully my daughter continues to have congestion being her worst symptom, she is of course vaccinated and boosted. I plan to test her if she gets worse or on Sunday but acting as if she has it for now. So 6.5 hours where I'm relying on Iota Carrageenan spray and HEPA filters, and I've now added masking now that I found out the new info.

Edit: these are the filters that were in her classroom last year until they were removed for being unfair.

gargle with listerine cool mint also (alcohol or alcohol free, dealers choice). I got exposed six days ago and used both the iota spray and gargled after brushing like I had a crush on my dentist and managed to dodge it.
This will also reduce viral replication if you/she pop positive so won’t hurt your kid either (though the listerine is… intense the nasal spray is nbd and just seaweed extract and salt water so allergies shouldn’t be an issue unless she’s allergic to seaweed).

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
im going out to a friends house next week, any precautions i can take that dont involve looking like that dude from batman or whatever with the cool facemask

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rock Puncher posted:

im going out to a friends house next week, any precautions i can take that dont involve looking like that dude from batman or whatever with the cool facemask

I took this screenshot at 10:30

what's happening here lol

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
forums covid

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Whenever a thread you made get gassed, you get probed for 15 minutes automatically.

Rock puncher, the best way to avoid any exposure without wearing a respirator when you go to a friend's house is just to stay outside at all time. No going in to use the bathroom or anything like that, just stay in the yard. If they don't have a yard, well... enjoy the free natural booster

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014

NeonPunk posted:

Whenever a thread you made get gassed, you get probed for 15 minutes automatically.

Rock puncher, the best way to avoid any exposure without wearing a respirator when you go to a friend's house is just to stay outside at all time. No going in to use the bathroom or anything like that, just stay in the yard. If they don't have a yard, well... enjoy the free natural booster

i dont know if that will be possible but i appreciate the extremely reasonable advice all the same, they just finished up a covid infection so I think I'll be reasonably safe

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Surgical masks honestly work pretty okay. Not perfect but reasonably well.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Poppers posted:

Surgical masks honestly work pretty okay. Not perfect but reasonably well.

They really don't.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
why would you want to wear a surgical mask instead of an aura or other nice n95 anyways. moot point

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Pingui posted:

They really don't.

Griz
May 21, 2001

nexous posted:

why would you want to wear a surgical mask instead of an aura or other nice n95 anyways. moot point

N95/KN94/elastomeric is way more comfortable anyway since it doesn't touch my mouth

also props to those willing to tolerate all the dogshit poppers posts to call out blatant misinformation instead of just blocking them

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I watched my vet do a spay last night and a surgical mask worked fine for him???????

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

nexous posted:

Umm because I have to wear a mask for like 80 hours a week at work and N95s give me headaches

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Poppers posted:

Umm because I have to wear a mask for like 80 hours a week at work and N95s give me headaches

going to get my calipers and check for skeletal indicators of chudery

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
headaches are endemic and we have medicine to cure them if you get one, so don’t bother taking precaution

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

That sounds like a bad misreading of things I’ve said previously. When have I ever told people they shouldn’t take precautions?

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I’m taking headache preventing precautions by not wearing N95s everywhere I go

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Oracle posted:

gargle with listerine cool mint also (alcohol or alcohol free, dealers choice). I got exposed six days ago and used both the iota spray and gargled after brushing like I had a crush on my dentist and managed to dodge it.
This will also reduce viral replication if you/she pop positive so won’t hurt your kid either (though the listerine is… intense the nasal spray is nbd and just seaweed extract and salt water so allergies shouldn’t be an issue unless she’s allergic to seaweed).

I currently don't have any listerine but I might decide to place a grocery delivery order so I'll grab it if I do.

I have the epothex spray which has a bit of alcohol so it stings slighty on initial spraying. I will offer it to her to try as that's a good idea but she's 6 and a big baby about stuff like that so I don't anticipate it going well.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

and make sure you slice an onion in half and put half each in the socks you are going to wear to bed

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Poppers posted:

Try a different N95, there's a large variety, and they all fit the face differently. It took me a long time to find an N95 that worked for me.

Your assertion that surgical masks work fine is wrong. It's not enough.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Cool that posting blatant misinfo is fine. Even in 2020 or maybe 2021 they knew that surgical masks mostly protected other people (but still wasn't great) and offered very little protection to the wearer.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I’ve worn a surgical mask every day in the hospital, at the grocery store, on public transit etc for years now and have yet to get sick from any of those places. I dunno dude, I’m not claiming you will absolutely never get a respiratory illness ever if you wear a surgical mask but they’re fairly effective. For me personally that’s good enough.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

We knew back in mid-2020 that surgical masks are inadequate (or 2009? highly confused by the two publication dates)

quote:

Use of surgical masks will not provide respiratory protection against airborne virus particles expelled by humans during talking, coughing, breathing or sneezing. For example, a recent study on the exhaled breath of influenza infected patients contained about 70% of influenza virus particles in the 300–500 nm range (Fabian et al. 2008).

In our study, moderate and high barrier level surgical masks showed filtration efficiency values of 77.6–97.7% for room air particles in the 500–1000 nm range. Wide variations (54.9–92%) in filtration efficiency levels were obtained for moderate and high barrier level surgical masks when challenged with 100 nm size room air particles at a face velocity of 6.2 cm/second. These categories of surgical masks were expected to have both BFE and PFE filtration efficiencies of >98 as is prescribed under the ASTM test protocols. The results from this study are consistent with the wide range of penetration values reported for different size particles in other studies (Brosseau et al. 1997; Chen and Willeke 1992; Oberg and Brosseau 2008). This suggests that not all FDA-cleared surgical masks will provide similar protection levels to the wearer of the mask to submicron particles even within the same barrier level category. The lack of an aggressive standard submicron particle penetration test method and performance requirement allows wide variations in penetration levels for FDA-cleared surgical masks.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Only trust your respirator.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Pingui posted:

Lots of reasons have been given for the gloominess, including political partisanship, the media’s focus on negative news stories and bad “vibes” in general. There’s another, less talked about but more likely explanation for the disconnect: Covid-19 itself. The timing is clear, sentiment plunged at the start of the pandemic but failed to rebound when the economy re-opened and snapped back. In terms of sentiment, the pandemic caused a sudden increase in pessimism that hasn’t gone away.

"We live in actual bad times and people are acting like we live in actual bad times. This is so weird!" :allears:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Somebody post the sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

eXXon posted:

We knew back in mid-2020 that surgical masks are inadequate (or 2009? highly confused by the two publication dates)

Do you actually have any studies that relate any of this modeling type work to infection risk? Because that’s the thing I actually care about. Most of that study reads to me as a) surgical masks don’t work for source control which okay, and b) the filtration power of surgical masks is variable between not amazing and actually pretty reasonable even if not ideal. And obviously less exposure is better than more exposure but you don’t immediately get sick by making contact with a single viral particle.