Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

eXXon posted:

I have a booster appointment later this week. Woke up with a sore throat and am getting extremely faint lines on rapid tests. Whoo...

poo poo loving sucks, sorry goon :(

My whole family is sick with something because the kids returned to school, but so far our tests are negative. We're also enrolled in a research study that gives us a free PCR test each week while also testing for flu and RSV, and they're negative too, so we're hopeful that this isn't COVID that hit us. Still, we're going to have to wait to get boosters until we're feeling better, and it feels like everyone I know is getting hit right now. Just gonna have to keep our fingers crossed and pray that we can continue dodging the miasma of death at least until we get that sweet, sweet booster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention
I'm just about through my bottle of Enovid and I'd like to replace it with some iota carrageenan spray instead of dropping another jillion dollars on something that by all accounts works less well. US goons who have purchased some, where'd you get it? I've pretty skeptical of getting anything that really needs to be the genuine article from Amazon, but that's all I've found via googling...

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

BusError posted:

I'm just about through my bottle of Enovid and I'd like to replace it with some iota carrageenan spray instead of dropping another jillion dollars on something that by all accounts works less well. US goons who have purchased some, where'd you get it? I've pretty skeptical of getting anything that really needs to be the genuine article from Amazon, but that's all I've found via googling...

if you’re in the US you’re just gonna have to get over your skepticism. you aren’t buying an sd card. the other option is to buy from canada and pay 25 bucks for shipping.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

if you’re in the US you’re just gonna have to get over your skepticism. you aren’t buying an sd card. the other option is to buy from canada and pay 25 bucks for shipping.

Unrelated but how are you doing? Does it still seem like you're rebounding?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

road potato posted:

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I assume that you mean 'people who are asking questions but not fully folowing the thread orthodoxy of 100% safety precautions. FWIW, I feel like the thread has been a super helpful place for mostly-lurkers like myself who don't take the full-tilt set of precautions like many others.
(..)

It is a general reference to the gleeful opening up of society during the pandemic. Gunshow Poophole (whom I think you are confusing me with) merely meant that in earlier days going to a wedding at all would have gotten some angry replies, while now everyone more or less just accepts that "you gotta do what you gotta do :shrug:"

road potato posted:

(..)
The wedding and reception are outside, and we won't be doing any indoor dining while traveling. Thanks to the thread's mask guidance (way better than other sources) I haven't gone to any public indoor space without my 3m Aura. I'm the only teacher at my school who still wears a mask throughout the day, and I got the school to put in additional HEPA filters in my classroom. Sometimes we have friends over in our home, and we have HEPA filters running in every room. We tried to do as much socializing as we could this summer when it was easy for people to go with the outdoor option, and we're gonna be avoiding any big indoor gatherings this winter. Only doing takeout from restaurants, or dining at places with big areas for outdoor dining.

I traveled for a wedding this summer, and I am now I'm going to another. I think the risk-reward tradeoff for this scenario is probably worth it, particularly taking precautions while we travel.

I have a feeling there are a ton of folks who are about at this level of precaution. Doing things to reduce risks, but with a higher risk tolerance than some of the folks in the thread. I dunno much that makes us 'open biden' folks. I wish there was a greater level of public precaution too, and I was thankful to be teaching outside of the US in 2020-2022.

Sounds like you are taking the precautions you feel are sustainable long term. You gotta do what you gotta do :shrug:

Also massive kudos for getting the school to put in extra HEPA filters, that is some good poo poo :)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

eXXon posted:

I have a booster appointment later this week. Woke up with a sore throat and am getting extremely faint lines on rapid tests. Whoo...

Sorry to hear, I would have probably waited for Novavax instead of nature's booster.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pingui posted:

It is a general reference to the gleeful opening up of society during the pandemic. Gunshow Poophole (whom I think you are confusing me with) merely meant that in earlier days going to a wedding at all would have gotten some angry replies, while now everyone more or less just accepts that "you gotta do what you gotta do :shrug:"

Sounds like you are taking the precautions you feel are sustainable long term. You gotta do what you gotta do :shrug:

Also massive kudos for getting the school to put in extra HEPA filters, that is some good poo poo :)

Early days like 2020. Now we know how well N95s work, so pretty much everything is safe if you're properly resp'd up. As long as you aren't making a truce with covid to take the mask off inside for just ten minutes.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
As this is an inherently slow news day, a bit from :britain: and the continued meltdown of public health (nothing inherently new):

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/sep/16/nhs-uk-prepared-covid-winter-pirola-variant posted:

‘Lessons have been forgotten’: is the UK ready for a new Covid variant?
With worrying mutations, limited vaccine rollout, vastly reduced testing and a creaking health service, experts are predicting a tough few months ahead
(..)
While the EG.5.1 (Eris) and XBB variants account for most Covid infections globally (and most of the more than 1m symptomatic Covid cases currently in Britain), Pirola, which descended from Omicron, is heavily mutated. This follows a pattern seen with Sars-CoV-2 since the beginning of the pandemic, explains Andrew Pekosz, professor of molecular microbiology and immunology at Johns Hopkins University. “They accumulate a few mutations that allow them to evade some of the antibodies induced by prior infection or vaccination, they spread for a few months, then they are supplanted by a variant that has picked up a few different mutations that also function to evade pre-existing immunity, and the cycle continues.”
(..)
The consensus is that it is too early to tell how useful the vaccine may prove, though some MPs are pushing for 50- to 64-year-olds to be immunised, either as part of the rollout or privately. With Covid becoming “more of a value-for-money exercise” for the government, according to Duncan Robertson, senior lecturer in management sciences at Loughborough Business School, they may be playing a risky game by reducing eligibility for “financial savings”.

Planning is all the more challenging given that the UK’s surveillance and testing regimen is now the thinnest since the pandemic began. This is “frustrating” says Robertson, as “the UK’s ability to detect new variants has been compromised by the effective ending of the Office for National Statistics Coronavirus Infection Survey. Not only did that give a very good indication of the level of Covid in the population, it also allowed the proportions of variants … to be estimated, which could have meant that the emergence of BA.2.86 could have been better tracked.”

The UK Health Security Agency has promised that Covid testing will be increased, “although details at the moment are scant”, says Griffin. He says that “lessons learned during the early part of the pandemic, and before, do seem to have been forgotten.”

Susan Michie, professor of health psychology at UCL and another Independent Sage member, agrees that as we find ourselves in a position where “we really can’t see what’s happening” because of the lack of testing, missteps of the past appear not to have been absorbed. “One of the things we’ve really learned from the mismanagement of previous pandemics, certainly in this country, is waiting too late to do something about it. Given the exponential growth of pandemics, it does mean that once you’ve waited until it’s an obvious problem, you’ve really got a problem.”

The NHS in August hit a record 7.6 million people on waiting lists, and has in recent months been beset by strike action leading to the cancellation of 839,327 hospital appointments. It “is really on its knees”, says Michie. “We just can’t afford to have any huge big influx into the NHS.”

This is more likely given what Griffin calls the current “vaccine-only strategy”, which appears not to address measures such as masks or social distancing, and “fails to recognise and account for airborne Sars-CoV-2 transmission, including in healthcare settings”. He adds: “Vaccine strategy appears to completely disregard long-term consequences of Covid, which is both undermining of those affected as well as a false economy.”

With most excluded from the vaccine programme, should we be returning to masking, and social distancing? Michie is firm that “we need to take a population-wide approach to reducing the level of infection”, with everyone playing their part, rather than the current attitude that vulnerable people should stay at home. “This is discriminatory, but also, it’s not effective,” she says; either pushing elderly people into greater loneliness and social segregation, which studies have shown can accelerate decline, or overlooking the estimated 1.8 million multigenerational households in Britain. Such households are more likely to be made up of poorer people or those from ethnic minorities, who suffered a “disproportionate impact” during the lockdown years, according to the King’s Fund. Telling already vulnerable communities to stay at home is only “increasing inequalities”, says Michie.

Watching how Pirola continues to spread is now critical. “We are at the start of a wave; how serious it’s going to be, we don’t know,” Michie says. She adds that it is also unclear whether Covid is becoming seasonal. “But we do know that there are other seasonal viruses like flu and RSV (respiratory syncytial virus), which do always ramp up over the winter months. We’re in a potentially dangerous situation.”

Others remain more hopeful.“We don’t really see it [Pirola] spreading fast so perhaps it isn’t as concerning a variant as it looks on paper,” says Pekosz.

Management is everything this time around, Robertson thinks, with the future of any potential outbreak now a matter for ministers. “To govern is to make choices. Let’s hope the government makes wise ones.”

:hmmrona: the UK is absolutely ready for a new variant.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
One pharmacy I went to this week had all the staff in Auras. At the other, all the staff were showing their smiles except for one person who kept taking off her cloth mask to eat/drink.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Chamale posted:

Early days like 2020. Now we know how well N95s work, so pretty much everything is safe if you're properly resp'd up. As long as you aren't making a truce with covid to take the mask off inside for just ten minutes.

I just translated the joke for road potato as s/he seemed to feel targeted and I wanted them to feel welcome :)

It wasn't intended as a thread history lesson :P

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Didn't notice this at the time.

https://www.who.int/publications/m/item/weekly-epidemiological-update-on-covid-19---1-september-2023 posted:

Weekly epidemiological update on COVID-19 - 1 September 2023
(..)
Please note that this is the last edition of the COVID-19 Weekly Epidemiological Update. Moving forward, as WHO transitions its COVID-19 surveillance from an emergency response to long-term COVID-19 disease prevention, control and management, we will be providing updates every four-weeks, with the next edition set to be published on 28 September 2023.
(..)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
eyyyyyy

https://twitter.com/thememeticist/status/1703113441123455401?s=46

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Pestilence thread: Number 5, Still Alive?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
*Kramers in from 2021* Don't worry, reinfections are rare.

Madame Psychosis
Jul 24, 2009
So Nipah stuff goes here or is this Covid-only pestilence?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

jisforjosh posted:

Circling back to this, what is the ratio of sterile distilled water to iota carrengeenan to go for?

Completely anecdotally but I've been using Betadine twice a day and saline nasal irrigation at night while being around several COVID positive people at work (OPEN BIDEN) and haven't succumbed yet.

edit: duh I could just look at the bottle, 1.2mg per ml

the argentinian study was 1.7mg per ml but who knows what's optimal really

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Madame Psychosis posted:

There's always someone gunning for the king

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Madame Psychosis posted:

As long as it falls under the purview of the first horseman it's fine.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

eXXon posted:

I tested positive a day after my booster last year. covid banana peel

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

BusError posted:

You can just buy epothex from epothex dot com, that's about as secure as you're gonna get when it comes to online stuff. They have a bunch of brands, make sure you're buying the iota carrageenan one which is the sticky stuff.

road potato posted:

Ah, thanks for clarifying. I assume that you mean 'people who are asking questions but not fully folowing the thread orthodoxy of 100% safety precautions. FWIW, I feel like the thread has been a super helpful place for mostly-lurkers like myself who don't take the full-tilt set of precautions like many others.

The wedding and reception are outside, and we won't be doing any indoor dining while traveling. Thanks to the thread's mask guidance (way better than other sources) I haven't gone to any public indoor space without my 3m Aura. I'm the only teacher at my school who still wears a mask throughout the day, and I got the school to put in additional HEPA filters in my classroom. Sometimes we have friends over in our home, and we have HEPA filters running in every room. We tried to do as much socializing as we could this summer when it was easy for people to go with the outdoor option, and we're gonna be avoiding any big indoor gatherings this winter. Only doing takeout from restaurants, or dining at places with big areas for outdoor dining.

I traveled for a wedding this summer, and I am now I'm going to another. I think the risk-reward tradeoff for this scenario is probably worth it, particularly taking precautions while we travel.

I have a feeling there are a ton of folks who are about at this level of precaution. Doing things to reduce risks, but with a higher risk tolerance than some of the folks in the thread. I dunno much that makes us 'open biden' folks. I wish there was a greater level of public precaution too, and I was thankful to be teaching outside of the US in 2020-2022.

This thread has been a huge help in explaining how covid actually works; how it's not some capricious ghost targeting people at random. You can't bargain or reason with it, but you can prevent it with a pretty drat high degree of certainty. If you just wear a properly fitted N95 mask (assuming nobody rips it off your face) you can basically live like it's 2019! I wish I would have known that while I was messing around with a surgical mask for years. For all the poo poo the thread gets it's made me much less afraid.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Zugzwang posted:

*Kramers in from 2021* Don't worry, reinfections are rare.

hey time traveler from 2021 I have good news, the Covid national emergency gets declared over in 2023

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
Ordering another box of 9105s for the pending COVID winter. Wife requested something in black but Zoro had gently caress-all. Any recs?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

hey time traveler from 2021 I have good news, the Covid national emergency gets declared over in 2023
Can't wait!!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

Chad Sexington posted:

Ordering another box of 9105s for the pending COVID winter. Wife requested something in black but Zoro had gently caress-all. Any recs?

paying through the nose for imask3 from Europe

dark gray moldex that’s designed for thin noses

BNX which isn’t any better than good KF94s

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Chad Sexington posted:

Don’t paint them or color them, if she’s stuck on wearing a black one there’s the BOTN KF94s if she’s ok with ear loops.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
BOTN switched to weaker nose wires so you might want to get a 100 pack of external stick-on nose wires from Amazon for $8

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Chad Sexington posted:

wellbefore's 3d pro line (foam and headstrap) actually has decent numbers now https://wellbefore.com/products/3d-kf94-style-kn95-pro-mask-with-adjustable-ear-loops?variant=39580952232065

they're not deep enough for me though and my lips hit them when i talk. also the headstraps are white

https://twitter.com/FitTestMyPlanet/status/1700348645571235865/photo/1

still nothing beats an aura

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
When the gently caress can I schedule my booster? All my local pharmacies say “awaiting CDC guidance” on their websites. Isn’t the CDC guidance “take the new booster you idiot”?

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023

Soap Scum posted:

i think a fair handful of people in thread are approximately same precaution levels as you. and imo that's fine. my personal bar for covid behavior is you should do enough such that if everyone made the same effort you did, the reproduction rate would fall below 1.00 and we'd eradicate it, and i'm pretty confident you clear that bar. i don't think it's realistic to get your covid risk to zero (like, what if you have to see an emergency dentist? etc. it's just not feasible) so you have to find somewhere else to draw the line. "i'm doing my part" seems like a fair ask given that "zero risk" is off the table, i think

This is where I have been since August 2020 (until then, we were properly locked down on our own accord, not due to non-existent government mandates). I am always in N95 when indoors outside the house. My 10 year old son masks consistently indoors in KF94. My wife also wears KF94 except in super risky situations where I can convince her to wear N95. We mostly avoid having anyone else inside the house. The very few exceptions were with everyone masked and we stay masked for a couple hours after the others leave with purifiers going on full blast. The other exceptions are FIL/MIL visiting from out of town. For these rare out of town visitors, we relied on Lucira/Cue tests. Lucira did catch my MIL's covid and she spent all of her visit in a nearby Airbnb. We are far less consistent about masking outdoors though.

I always knew the risk is far from zero, but significantly reduced and It worked really well for us until recently where I finally pushed the risk envelope too far. Time for an unhappy "trip report".

I have been asked for years to make a longer trip to my company's India office where a large part of the team I work with is located. I have done multiple one-week stays over the years, but this time I decided to make it 3 weeks. In order to make it palatable to family, I took them with me. It would be a vacation for them while I worked. We had planned to travel together the last week which I took as PTO. I've never gone on a trip longer than 2 weeks, but my wife and I really like India and are comfortable there, so it was only going to be a culture shock for my son. Welp, the whole trip can be summarized as "unending waves of illness".

My wife was first, down with GI symptoms. I stupidly did not bother testing for COVID as GI sicknesses have been a fairly regular thing for her recently and we did eat very questionable street food the day before. Only weeks later, she mentioned she also had fever on the first day of GI symptoms. Once her symptoms ended, my wife and son went to a different part of India on their own, so I was by myself. A week after her symptoms ended, I fell sick with textbook respiratory symptoms: fever, cough and congestion. Fever was only 3 days, the other symptoms lasted a bit more than a week. I tested every day that I had symptoms with a RAT and did one PCR test at the doctor and all were negative. A few days after my symptoms started, my son started having fever (at that point, it was a week since I saw him) and tested positive for COVID. He ended up with fever for a week and then broke out with a rash when fever ended. After that, he was completely fine and seems fully recovered now. 2 weeks after my first symptom onset, I was again down with fever and GI symptoms. My wife too had GI symptoms again but milder and only for a couple days. For me, fever only lasted 2 days, but GI symptoms were on and off for more than two weeks. Again, I tested myself with RATs and with Lucira when I came back home and all negative. I am 80% sure we all had COVID (second wave was just a rebound), not just my son. I did have access to pax so I wish I or my wife tested positive so that we could take it and lessen chances of sequelae. But it was not to be. I plan to get an antibody test to verify once I get less lazy and depressed about the whole thing.

I've been feeling depressed and guilty particularly for getting my son sick with COVID :negative:. On the one hand, being sick only once in 3.5 years is not so bad, but I know that in this particular case, I could have stopped it as this was largely an unnecessary trip. poo poo sucks. I love traveling, but this experience might have finally knocked the travel bug out of me. I suppose it's for the best.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cretin90 posted:

When the gently caress can I schedule my booster? All my local pharmacies say “awaiting CDC guidance” on their websites. Isn’t the CDC guidance “take the new booster you idiot”?

They are missing the most important part: insurance coding.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

BusError posted:

Did Enovid end up being legit?

I got a bottle of that stuff when it came out but at the time was told by this thread that it was snake oil.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Also has anyone in the thread gotten a new booster yet? The local CVS only has appointments for Tuesday available now, so I got one, but I'm not sure if they actually have the vaccine in hand

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006

Pingui posted:

They are missing the most important part: insurance coding.

I will pay $150 to get my left cheek injected with sweet sweet COVID fighting juice. I don’t care. I’m the voice of the market, Wegmans, take my money!

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

kreeningsons posted:

Did Enovid end up being legit?

I got a bottle of that stuff when it came out but at the time was told by this thread that it was snake oil.

all the nasal sprays are... not ironclad. It's very challenging and also ethically gray to design real studies of any of the mechanisms by which they are generally proposed to act.

further a lot of the studies that DO make it past review are clearly like... paid for by the companies, because nobody on an NIH grant is like "ooh this one specific brand of nasal spray, let's see X Y Z about it".

there's been a slowly growing canon that suggests iota carrageenan works, and Enovid is at least chemically plausible to have an effect.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cretin90 posted:

I will pay $150 to get my left cheek injected with sweet sweet COVID fighting juice. I don’t care. I’m the voice of the market, Wegmans, take my money!

You can probably be allowed to pay ~190 and get it on your own, if they actually have any doses when you get there.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

mahler_biryani posted:

(..)
I've been feeling depressed and guilty particularly for getting my son sick with COVID :negative:. On the one hand, being sick only once in 3.5 years is not so bad, but I know that in this particular case, I could have stopped it as this was largely an unnecessary trip. poo poo sucks. I love traveling, but this experience might have finally knocked the travel bug out of me. I suppose it's for the best.

Don't be too hard on yourself, it is always a die roll, but it seems you all got away unscathed. Once in 3.5 years is a lot better than 2-4 times per year. Best of luck to you and yours with the continued recovery :)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i have eaten 3 surgical masks a day for the past three years and i have barely had a covid

Morbus
May 18, 2004

thats not candy posted:

wellbefore's 3d pro line (foam and headstrap) actually has decent numbers now https://wellbefore.com/products/3d-kf94-style-kn95-pro-mask-with-adjustable-ear-loops?variant=39580952232065

they're not deep enough for me though and my lips hit them when i talk. also the headstraps are white

https://twitter.com/FitTestMyPlanet/status/1700348645571235865/photo/1

still nothing beats an aura

You know, those halyard duckbill N95s are, to me, if I'm being honest, more comfortable than auras. They fit great, and are MRI safe too (which is why I've used them). They just look too stupid, so aura it is lol

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Well, I took a FlowFlex test ($10) that was more positive than the very faint Rapid Response ones (from Canada). Got a SesameCare appointment, showed the positive test, didn't get any questions about comorbidities and had the Paxlovid Rx sent to CVS instantly, in time for my partner to pick it up before they closed. The system works, I guess.

As for where I got it, either mask fail (doubt it) or the 3 hours I spent unmasked and socializing outdoors last week, or one of two hours spent playing hockey indoors and unmasked. I mask in the change room (nobody else does) and the one time I brought an aranet inside it was 1500+ppm while the rink is ~500 for the fairly obvious reason that it needs to be ventilated to stay cool. RIP my dumb loving rear end for going unmasked anywhere even if the same plan worked out for the last two years, eventually enough die rolls catch up.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 23:51 on Sep 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

kreeningsons posted:

Also has anyone in the thread gotten a new booster yet? The local CVS only has appointments for Tuesday available now, so I got one, but I'm not sure if they actually have the vaccine in hand

I got it earlier this morning from a CVS. I'm in Northern Virginia so I don't know if it's a supply chain issue why some CVSs have it while others don't.