Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I like boring games like Snowrunner and I don’t care about shooting aliens or spaceships.

Is the combat a big part of this game or can I avoid much of it? The exploration seems cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAnon
Jul 16, 2023

at least GMod is more interesting and engaging than space Garfield game

haven't played Starfield so I don't fuckin know

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

So does this actually have less handcrafted content than something like Fallout 4 or Skyrim, or does it just feel like that because for every handcrafted location you see 100 procgen locations?

id say probably about the same. you dont need to do any of the procgen poo poo, and shouldnt cause it sucks. the faction quests have lots of cool af setpieces. the random sidequests are all just the teleport around and press e poo poo people are talking about and should be avoided at all costs. theres a few dozen good hours of hand crafted poo poo at least

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Yes there's some handcrafted stuff. Especially the faction stuff but for what I see looks like there's like three factions total. I'm doing the crimson fleet quest line currently and really it's been kind of boring so far. I mean sure I did do a cruise ship heist which was pretty easy and all dialogue based but really there's just not a lot to do.

Like everything's so loving flat. I keep saying and others keep saying it's all a mile wide and an inch deep.

There are no repercussions for anything. I can't kill names NPCs and cause issues or blow up a ship and cause issues. It's all the same poo poo.

And the festa definitely realize that people would try this so any ship that is important they just put like 20 or 30 loving companionships with it knowing that you could destroy the main ships.

Apparently people are making like swastika shaped ships which the AI can't hit.

Not sure what to make of that one but I assume Elon musk is involved in some way

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Snowy posted:

Is the combat a big part of this game or can I avoid much of it?

it's a Bethesda game, it's one of the primary things you do

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
No lusty argonian maid no sale

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

id say probably about the same. you dont need to do any of the procgen poo poo, and shouldnt cause it sucks. the faction quests have lots of cool af setpieces. the random sidequests are all just the teleport around and press e poo poo people are talking about and should be avoided at all costs. theres a few dozen good hours of hand crafted poo poo at least

i disagree i think a big part of the problem is that the handcrafted stuff is also pretty boring. like the three main cities in the game are the most generic possible "scifi cities" anyone could come up with

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

:catdrugs:

Pimpcasso posted:

No lusty argonian maid no sale

Wouldn't work since they decided aliens are lame and shouldn't exist.
We'll never get the lusty alien maid

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
I think I found a book that was like the lusty argonian maid but I was also poo poo faced grabbing all the books.. so memory is fuzzy trying to get those snow globe locations

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
my feeling based on no specific facts is that after morrowind there was a split between the people who contributed the weirder experimental stuff and the people who wanted to just make oblivion a safe hit on xbox and the former left and they never really recaptured that afterwards

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I guess this is also a purist society because there's no mods to anyone's body.

Why can't I have metal legs

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mozi posted:

my feeling based on no specific facts is that after morrowind there was a split between the people who contributed the weirder experimental stuff and the people who wanted to just make oblivion a safe hit on xbox and the former left and they never really recaptured that afterwards

yea i have no knowledge of the inner workings of bethesda but it does feel exactly like that

i wonder where all the people who made the cool stuff in morrowind went tho i mean that was a long time ago, they couldve formed their own company and made their own stuff by now

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

All the good Bethesda lore was written on a very long, irresponsible psychedelic bender by one person lol

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mozi posted:

Having looked into that a while back, the tldr is not really. A lot of the same people were there. For ex Michael Kirkbride, who gets pointed to a lot because he did a lot of the crazy mystical/cosmic writing in Morrowind, was also a writer on Oblivion.

Oblivion wasn't really a safe hit while they were making it, they just felt they'd had success with morrowind and were following up. The much more conventional aesthetics that pulled inspiration from the LOTR movies were IMO because artists get inspired from good art. A lot of other fantasy art was doing the same thing at the time. Also Oblivion does still have some pretty weird and out-there stuff.

But I think studio executives responded to Oblivion being more successful by going more in that direction. Between Oblivion and Fallout is when you get more turnover. And it's also a thing where it's just harder to be super weird and out-there with a huge team.

MrQwerty posted:

All the good Bethesda lore was written on a very long, irresponsible psychedelic bender by one person lol

For anyone who hasn't seen it and wants more Weird poo poo, please read C0da

also this is an internet exaggeration, psychedelics were not involved. though it sounds like he turned a janitors closet into a mini sweat lodge

Klyith fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 16, 2023

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Klyith posted:

Having looked into that a while back, the tldr is not really. A lot of the same people were there. For ex Michael Kirkbride, who gets pointed to a lot because he did a lot of the crazy mystical/cosmic writing in Morrowind, was also a writer on Oblivion.

for me what really went downhill starting with Oblivion was not so much the writing but the visual design. it just became ultra generic. like somehow it felt even more bland than the aesthetic of the LotR movies

like Skyrim actually feels a lot closer to the LotR epic fantasy vibe, to me. which makes sense since its very Nordic and Tolkien was very influenced by Norse myths and culture. Oblivion feels like someone making a fantasy world based on reading a description of the genre on wikipedia or something

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Sep 16, 2023

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

haven’t even found a single obese last of his kind dwarf in starf yet

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Bad Purchase posted:

:(

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

The dragon on Skyrim that you kill outside of whinterfek kt whatever it's called. Never forget those vibes

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

And the festa definitely realize that people would try this so any ship that is important they just put like 20 or 30 loving companionships with it knowing that you could destroy the main ships.

my ship is strong enough now that i’m level 50 with a ton of the tech tree points filled in that i was able to kill all the ships around the UC vigilance and attack it, and guess what — you can’t kill it, it just warps away after you hit it for a while

i also tried going to the key without the quest to infiltrate it, killed all 10+ ships that attack you, and couldn’t dock after. hailing the station worked and the voice tells you to dock but you can’t.

a lot of the random encounter ships also just warp away if you shoot them. i was able to take out that loving guy i’ve found a dozen times singing the sea shanty at least, though won’t be surprised if i get that encounter again anyway.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Bad Purchase posted:

The side quest to find him is to turn off your monitor

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bad Purchase posted:

my ship is strong enough now that i’m level 50 with a ton of the tech tree points filled in that i was able to kill all the ships around the UC vigilance and attack it, and guess what — you can’t kill it, it just warps away after you hit it for a while

i also tried going to the key without the quest to infiltrate it, killed all 10+ ships that attack you, and couldn’t dock after. hailing the station worked and the voice tells you to dock but you can’t.

a lot of the random encounter ships also just warp away if you shoot them. i was able to take out that loving guy i’ve found a dozen times singing the sea shanty at least, though won’t be surprised if i get that encounter again anyway.

Yeah I tried to do that as well. I tried to destroy and dock with the guy selling shop insurance and I couldn't demand he poo poo the gently caress up at gun point.

It's just very annoying. I should be able to go on to colony ships and screaming people begging for me not to kill anybody and demand money from them. I mean that's a space game right there. I should be able to be The butcher of Anderson station.

It does kill me that you can only have one companion with you at any given time, I mean there's just so many things they could have done if you could have had two or three running around with you. Especially if you had a pirate and the first check that you run around with I don't know Sarah Connor or some poo poo. Like having different perspectives on what to do next would have been fine with different insights and flavor text to disseminate from.

They really just miss the line of what actually makes an RPG and rpg. I mean it's a space space teleporting simulator with dialogue puzzles.

GTD Aquitaine
Jul 28, 2004

I've only watched streams of this (Streamfielded?) because no way am I paying ninety canadabucks to be a beta tester, but of all the things that frustrate me the most is that you can't eat the succulents.

let us eat the succulents, Bethesda

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Philthy posted:

You can't post that without the best gaming intro ever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlixbA7_CH4

This is surprisingly bad and watchable.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Snowy posted:

I like boring games like Snowrunner and I don’t care about shooting aliens or spaceships.

Is the combat a big part of this game or can I avoid much of it? The exploration seems cool
I haven't played either but isn't No Man's Sky an entire game of just that, and also good now if you're into that kind of thing?

Klyith posted:

Oblivion wasn't really a safe hit while they were making it, they just felt they'd had success with morrowind and were following up. The much more conventional aesthetics that pulled inspiration from the LOTR movies were IMO because artists get inspired from good art. A lot of other fantasy art was doing the same thing at the time. Also Oblivion does still have some pretty weird and out-there stuff.
I think the aesthetics feel generic and diluted because it's all second hand from pop culture. Like LoTR movies were probably looking at stave churches for Rohan, and Skyrim likely just looked at the LoTR movies instead of ever looking up stave churches. Looking at other art for inspiration is all well and good and all artists do it. What you're doing is looking at their interpretations of whatever real world thing they based it on, which can give your ideas for your own interpretation. If you actually go for the source and do that. If you don't, and you just go with what bubbles up to the surface from recent popular media, you're probably not going to get a very strong or distinct aesthetic.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

GTD Aquitaine posted:

I've only watched streams of this (Streamfielded?) because no way am I paying ninety canadabucks to be a beta tester, but of all the things that frustrate me the most is that you can't eat the succulents.

let us eat the succulents, Bethesda

this is why, in real life, aliens are just keeping an eye on us instead of welcoming us into the galactic community. They don't want us to just go around eating everything in sight

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
best we can do is a prudent alien maid

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

It is pretty funny the 25% of the people that have opened up starfield have not even gotten out of space.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Starfail’d

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

YUP

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

apologies for caps

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

I got tired of the guns and went back to destiny like a dog

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Mozi posted:

They still try to get into the weird side from time to time in the Elder Scrolls Online expansions, though I feel like they don't do that great a job of it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I am playing control

A good game.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

So you’re gonna talk about high resolution sandwiches but not post bread?

:pathetic:

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

super sweet best pal posted:

They still try to get into the weird side from time to time in the Elder Scrolls Online expansions, though I feel like they don't do that great a job of it.

that's a completely different studio i think

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

super sweet best pal posted:

I think it's because with Morrowind the team was trying to make an entirely alien world. None of these "cows and castles" European fantasy. They wanted unfamiliar flaura, fauna, and architecture.

Everything after that has just been making another elder scrolls game.

edit : actually there were standard European castles and architecture, but exclusively in the areas inhabited by colonizers lol

Punkinhead fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Sep 17, 2023

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Black Noise posted:

So you’re gonna talk about high resolution sandwiches but not post bread?

:pathetic:

That's because the Starfield sandwiches are poo poo!

2 pieces generic white bread, several flat slices of lovely salami, one slice swiss, one piece flat lettuce. There's not even any evidence of mustard!

Kinda sums up the game.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Klyith posted:

That's because the Starfield sandwiches are poo poo!

2 pieces generic white bread, several flat slices of lovely salami, one slice swiss, one piece flat lettuce. There's not even any evidence of mustard!

Kinda sums up the game.

and they only give you like 2hp :pwn:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
space is actually boring as gently caress, gj bethesda

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

No nuance what so ever

Yawn.