Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

HazCat
May 4, 2009

kreeningsons posted:

Did Enovid end up being legit?

I got a bottle of that stuff when it came out but at the time was told by this thread that it was snake oil.

Enovid has roughly the same amount of evidence that it's roughly as effective as iota carrageenan nasal sprays.

I think the snake oil accusations weren't due to its effectiveness, but to it being priced at literally ten times what the other sprays cost iirc.

If you already have some, it won't hurt to use as an extra layer in addition to masks (or as a hail mary in cases where you can't mask), but once you use it up don't waste money buying more, just buy the seaweed spray instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!
after 5 infections, all the mice retired early

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

U-DO Burger posted:

Maybe also check w/ insurance to make sure they cover it first, we're seeing accounts of people being forced to pay out of pocket because not all insurance companies are prepared to handle covid booster claims yet

Heh. Joke’s on you, I don’t even have insurance anymore :smuggo:

:smith:

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

Rochallor posted:

You can just buy epothex from epothex dot com, that's about as secure as you're gonna get when it comes to online stuff. They have a bunch of brands, make sure you're buying the iota carrageenan one which is the sticky stuff.

Ah I hadn't heard of epothex. Thanks! Will check it out.

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?
I just got my jab (at CVS, covered by insurance, I'm living the dream). I'm exhausted, which is my usual state of existence, but I'm also beyond hungry. I'm a pretty light eater but I've had three dinners so far and I'm thinking about seeing what else is in the fridge.

Is ridiculously increased appetite a known side effect, or is just an unrelated thing?

first move tengen
Dec 2, 2011
Is the Novavax shot that's currently awaiting approval expected to actually help block (even asymptomatic) infections rather than just easing symptoms? Or are we going to have to wait for nasal vaccines to be able to feel safe (or at least safer than today)?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I just got my jab (at CVS, covered by insurance, I'm living the dream). I'm exhausted, which is my usual state of existence, but I'm also beyond hungry. I'm a pretty light eater but I've had three dinners so far and I'm thinking about seeing what else is in the fridge.

Is ridiculously increased appetite a known side effect, or is just an unrelated thing?

*reads post*
*reads user name*

are you doing a bit?

Hungry Squirrel
Jun 30, 2008

You gonna eat that?

BOGO LOAD posted:

*reads post*
*reads user name*

are you doing a bit?

I wish. But no, I'm serious, and it's a rapid and significant enough change that I'm genuinely curious.

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006
Had Sunday booster appointments at a CVS but they texted today to say they don’t have it yet. Glad they notified us. Trying a Walgreen’s on Monday.

Can someone explain this data to me? The numbers seem kinda all over the place. Are they testing on a mannequin with a certain face size and shape?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
lmao well it's been 9 hours since I had my shot and my appetite's been normal. Same with each of my 4 previous shots.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

Ghost Cactus posted:

Had Sunday booster appointments at a CVS but they texted today to say they don’t have it yet. Glad they notified us. Trying a Walgreen’s on Monday.

Can someone explain this data to me? The numbers seem kinda all over the place. Are they testing on a mannequin with a certain face size and shape?

he fit tests a bunch of times on his and his wife's face, plus his spreadsheet had additional contributor numbers. yeah numbers can fluctuate a lot based on how good a seal you have

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Hungry Squirrel posted:

It has been reported, yes.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8049195/ posted:

Side effects of BNT162b2 mRNA COVID-19 vaccine: A randomized, cross-sectional study with detailed self-reported symptoms from healthcare workers
(..)
Table 2
Event rate classified based on review of organ systems and descending order of occurrence.

pre:
Symptoms after the first and/or second dose of the BNT162b2 mRNA vaccine	Percentage reported	Number of HCWs reporting symptom (n)
(..)
Endocrine symptom/s
(..)
Increased appetite									0.87%			7
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

first move tengen posted:

Is the Novavax shot that's currently awaiting approval expected to actually help block (even asymptomatic) infections rather than just easing symptoms? Or are we going to have to wait for nasal vaccines to be able to feel safe (or at least safer than today)?

There are not many expectations to the Novavax shot beyond being a better fit to current variants than the old wildtype version, as well as possibly given a broader, more variant resistant immune response than the mRNAs.

Sterilizing immunity is sadly not expected.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

kreeningsons posted:

Did Enovid end up being legit?

I got a bottle of that stuff when it came out but at the time was told by this thread that it was snake oil.

it is for me. I’ve been in a lot of risky environments for work functions, traveling with higher ups, conferences, etc. and I was maxing enovid whole time and I’ve been covid free.

ever since that study about mouthwash came out I’ll gargle some CPC mouthwash as well on my work trips.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Well poo poo, I was just googling to see if the updated shots will be available in Australia anytime soon and it turns out they don't want to give me any more shots at all this year. They recommend that everyone 75 or older get another booster shot and that anyone 18-74 who is immunocompromised should consider getting another shot but everyone else who already got a shot earlier this year is poo poo out of luck:

quote:

For younger people or older adults without severe immunocompromise who have already had a dose in 2023, no further doses are currently recommended. Their baseline risk of severe illness is low if they have already been vaccinated, and particularly if they have also had prior infection.1 Therefore a further 2023 dose will offer little additional benefit even if it has been more than 6 months since their last dose.
https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-update-on-the-covid-19-vaccination-program

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

mahler_biryani posted:

I've been feeling depressed and guilty particularly for getting my son sick with COVID
:negative:. On the one hand, being sick only once in 3.5 years is not so bad, but I know that in this particular case, I could have stopped it as this was largely an unnecessary trip. poo poo sucks. I love traveling, but this experience might have finally knocked the travel bug out of me. I suppose it's for the best.
:sympathy: That is a very heavy and difficult thing to process and I don't know of anyone who could handle that well, and I wish I could offer more than a silly hug emoji. I'm in a similar predicament and the best I can say is, if you're that scared of hurting your loved one again, then you'll find avoiding things that could lead to that again, are suddenly going to be much much easier to cut out of your life, like traveling as you said.

No one is gonna be free of this pandemic for a good long while, we're all on this roller coaster together.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

eXXon posted:

....one of two hours spent playing hockey indoors and unmasked. I mask in the change room (nobody else does) and the one time I brought an aranet inside it was 1500+ppm while the rink is ~500 for the fairly obvious reason that it needs to be ventilated to stay cool

Yah, one of my kids friends plays hockey seriously, and caught it repeatedly in those first 2 years, apparently from the rink. It is kinda weird, because a huge ventilated space, right.

But here is a study saying that the air is stagnant right at head height.
https://ysph.yale.edu/public-health...door-ice-rinks/

Also maybe something with the cold air in there making the virus more stable. But now you got me worried about how applicable this is to climbing gyms and those tennis domes.

(hope you got an easy one and get better soon!)

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Well poo poo, I was just googling to see if the updated shots will be available in Australia anytime soon and it turns out they don't want to give me any more shots at all this year. They recommend that everyone 75 or older get another booster shot and that anyone 18-74 who is immunocompromised should consider getting another shot but everyone else who already got a shot earlier this year is poo poo out of luck:

https://www.health.gov.au/news/atagi-update-on-the-covid-19-vaccination-program

Incredible how ATAGi manage to make the FDA look like a well-oiled machine.

This loving sucks. I got boosted in August but Mrs Parasite has some international travel planned in November, so we'd decided she should hold off boosting until a few weeks before she leaves. It really loving sucks that a bunch of unelected unaccountable bureaucrats play stupid games like this.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Morbus posted:

You know, those halyard duckbill N95s are, to me, if I'm being honest, more comfortable than auras. They fit great, and are MRI safe too (which is why I've used them). They just look too stupid, so aura it is lol

these masks are my daily driver

Cretin90
Apr 10, 2006
any goon preference on Moderna vs Pfizer for 2023-2024 vaccine or SSDD (same poo poo different drug)?

Baddog
May 12, 2001
CVS just cancelled my Monday appointment because "they won't have it". Nice.

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

HazCat posted:

just buy the seaweed spray instead.

thanks, that makes sense. i might as well give the seaweed spray a try. any thread favorite source for it?

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Zugzwang posted:

One pharmacy I went to this week had all the staff in Auras. At the other, all the staff were showing their smiles except for one person who kept taking off her cloth mask to eat/drink.

Lol god forbid people who work in healthcare drink water

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
My chart says I've gotten 4 jabs but I genuinely don't remember getting the second booster lmao anyone else have smooth brain????

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

I waited to get my bivalent until like February and then raved all summer long covid free :cheers:

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Poppers posted:

I waited to get my bivalent until like February and then raved all summer long covid free :cheers:

That isn't how the vaccines work, at all.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I believe poppers

Ghost Cactus
Dec 25, 2006

thats not candy posted:

he fit tests a bunch of times on his and his wife's face, plus his spreadsheet had additional contributor numbers. yeah numbers can fluctuate a lot based on how good a seal you have

Got it, thanks. Seems like how a lot of medical headlines need to have “in mice” appended to the title, he could add “for my wife and I” in his tweets. Still interesting though.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
I think it's pretty clear there are better and worse times to do Stuff. Wastewater where I live says that while things were quiet this summer, they are just :rubby: :coronatoot: :coronatoot: :coronatoot: right now.

Note, I'm certainly not advocating going Open Biden, since even "quiet" times aren't, uh, silent.

Zugzwang has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Sep 17, 2023

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Lib and let die posted:

I believe poppers is an idiot

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Hungry Squirrel posted:

we’ve replaced hungry squirrel’s regular Covid shot with THC crystals. Let’s see if they notice

Steve Yun has issued a correction as of 03:03 on Sep 17, 2023

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

we’ve replaced hungry squirrel’s regular Covid shot with THC crystals. Let’s see if they notice

m(arihuana)RNA jabs for all

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i would rather be induced to convert my cells into weed than into spike proteins

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

I believe poppers got vaxxed

I believe poppers went to raves

I believe poppers didn't get covid

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
I believe OJ Simpson didn’t kill his wife

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

I believe poppers got vaxxed

I believe poppers went to raves

I believe poppers didn't get covid

"in this house, we believe" sign

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

poppers protecting herself with innate psychic powers like a space ork and the color red.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Cretin90 posted:

any goon preference on Moderna vs Pfizer for 2023-2024 vaccine or SSDD (same poo poo different drug)?

On the one hand Moderna has outperformed Pfizer in most things due perhaps to it's larger dose size. On the other hand, doing the old mix n' match or heterologous boosting I believe has also been shown to have some benefit.

So it's kind of a choose your own adventure, coin flip, what does your local provider have in stock for when you want the juice, thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

America is about choice