Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

evil_bunnY posted:

dude can you please stop loving me up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

me: mom i think i may be in trouble for getting $1300 in american money on a donation website by saying I have leukemia please dont sing skibidi toilet
mom: skibidi dop dop dop yes yes
me, sobbing: please please i got a phone call from the canada revenus agency
my dad via speakerphone: dom dom yes yes

im lol-ing in a meeting now

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

me: mom i think i may be in trouble for getting $1300 in american money on a donation website by saying I have leukemia please dont sing skibidi toilet
mom: skibidi dop dop dop yes yes
me, sobbing: please please i got a phone call from the canada revenus agency
my dad via speakerphone: dom dom yes yes

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

polyester concept posted:

I think about this often. Not just with kids, but especially with kids because they get bigger so fast. There's always a last time you'll do something with them and in the moment you never realize it's the very last time. Holding them on your shoulders, buckling them in the car seat, all those little daily rituals that you don't think about.

imo with kids it keeps getting better until about 11 ish, the golden age being between 9-11 or so (obv this all varies a lot)

like you might not buckle them in but you can have better convos for example

then around middle school age they start independence, they realise you're a flawed human being. they say stuff like "thats such a dad thing to do" :negative: and by this stage youre a decade older, your hair is grey and you smell like old cheese (maybe)

Votskomit
Jun 26, 2013

fisting by many posted:

My 2 year old needs to be carried a lot. I'm trying to coax him into walking to daycare,

What a blessing to live walking distance from a daycare. I hope it works out.

Volmarias posted:

Welcome. Welcome, to the resistance training that will bring you the dad bod. They will forever demand that you carry them to bed, and you must, for as they grow, so too does the armory built into your arms. Let your guns grow large and powerful. When your child says "dad, I'm getting sleepy" you will respond with "hello, I'm getting sleepy," before lifting them over your shoulder. Your voice will boom with the reassurance: "I, am Dad."

:haibrow:

I simply offset the extra fitness gains from carrying children by binge eating due to stress after they're in bed

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

I simply offset the extra fitness gains from carrying children by binge eating due to stress after they're in bed

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
12yo son was asking about einstein so tried to explain special relativity, or at least my basic understanding of it

great moments in parenting

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

echinopsis posted:

imo with kids it keeps getting better until about 11 ish, the golden age being between 9-11 or so (obv this all varies a lot)

9-11, never forget

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Votskomit posted:

What a blessing to live walking distance from a daycare. I hope it works out.

get this: I live walking distance from two daycares, and one kid goes to each :mrgw:

anyway I tried to make him walk this morning and we got most of the way there! Most of the time he walked behind me while crying and holding both hands in the air saying "Carry me carry me". I was very proud.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
there are lots of ways to deal with requests (/demands) that you don’t want to fulfill for your kids and what will work depends on your kid and the situation; it helps to talk with other parents because there are a TREMENDOUS number of potential tactics and kids and situations change as they age. Also at a values level there are different things you can be aiming for.

I usually prefer aiming for something that will get the kid unstuck and involved in whatever comes after the request. If it’s something where I want to build up an expectation that they can and should do it themselves, I do part of it and ask them to do the rest (these two parts are usually simultaneous) while trying to set a positive emotional tone.

My son complains about being tired when we have to walk places; my evolution of tactics:
- pick him up and carry him while doing something goofy to cheer him up, then set him back down to walk on his own after 2 or 3 minutes
as he got older, heavier, more verbal:
- ask him if he would like to {be picked up, ride on shoulders, w/e} for {a block, 3 minutes, w/e}, get his positive agreement to it + sometimes bring up “and after you’re going to walk on your own, right?”
today
- try to engage him in talking about other things, offer to swing him along on my arm 2 or 3 times, then he just started talking about other stuff with me and his sister and stopped protesting about being tired

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
yeah, big diff between being tired and being weary. the latter can be shaken off a lot faster with a little context change

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just say “tough titties”

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

echinopsis posted:

just say “tough titties”
did a little kitty write this?!

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
my 2 year old rode his balance bike all the way to day care (650m), I barley had to help him and he didn’t try to get hit by a car at all

it was pretty cool

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Perplx posted:

my 2 year old rode his balance bike all the way to day care (650m), I barley had to help him and he didn’t try to get hit by a car at all

it was pretty cool
huzzah! my kids have started riding to school all on their own recently (and trying to recruit friends to ride with them) and it's really nice to see them spread their wings (and also I want to murder drivers even more than usual).

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

echinopsis posted:

I went to kids school production last night and the plot was like bill n teds excellent adventure and when they picked up Michaelangelo the first thing he said was mama mia

me and my son were the only ones that laughed. the rest of the audience just doesn’t get humour

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

so far 2 of my 3 kids are lefties, and the 9mo seems to favour her left when grabbing stuff. I’m kind of surprised since I thought left handedness was relatively rare. I learned how to write with my right hand and was the only lefty in my classes until uni

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

so far 2 of my 3 kids are lefties, and the 9mo seems to favour her left when grabbing stuff. I’m kind of surprised since I thought left handedness was relatively rare. I learned how to write with my right hand and was the only lefty in my classes until uni

It is rare across the population, but because there is a genetic component to it the odds are higher within a family with a propensity for left-handedness to have another left-handed kid. But the odds are still lowish. It's like moving from a 10% chance of being left-handed to a 30% chance.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
one of the boys gets a stuffie day at school today. They “must fit in a backpack” is the rule, however I’m not sure that an 8ft snake is what she had in mind.

good job with letter, not spirit, kid

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

devmd01 posted:

one of the boys gets a stuffie day at school today. They “must fit in a backpack” is the rule, however I’m not sure that an 8ft snake is what she had in mind.

he's doing god's work here

e: I need to go back to goddamn school because I have lost the ability to use apostrophes correctly

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Sep 14, 2023

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

devmd01 posted:

that poo poo is an essential life skill so good for him

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
the midnight screaming wakeups are taking new directions in timbre and volume and gosh I could use a nap.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
the bike to school was slower than walking this time
too many distractions and disagreements about direction

back to the stroller until morale improves

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

the midnight screaming wakeups are taking new directions in timbre and volume and gosh I could use a nap.
my sweet small child scraemed in her sleep several times last night and i was told by her that i had simply imagined it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Perplx posted:

the bike to school was slower than walking this time
too many distractions and disagreements about direction

back to the stroller until morale improves
One of my great joys when ours were little was grabbing them early from school and just not GAF'ing how we got home. You want to hit the park? Sure! You wanna walk/scoot/ride? Sure!

Kenny Logins posted:

i was told by her that i had simply imagined it
another true classic

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

nooooo you got over your random fever don't have another one noooooo

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
I sent my kids to preschool. What a ripoff. 26k a year, impossible to actually pay.

Years later, my sister ends up working at the school as a teacher. Her salary, well, like all teachers she gets paid nothing. What a ripoff.

Then I go look up the school on propublica, and as a nonprofit the highest paid salaries are right there for all to see. Only two people on staff make above 50k.

What the gently caress? How is everyone getting ripped off here?

except for the kids. they loved preschool.

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

yeah. my wife worked at a high-end preschool for like 15 years, when she quit she was making like $18/hr. we couldn't afford to send our kids to the preschool she worked at, even with the 50% employee discount lmao

they at least had a lower-tier branch of preschools that were still very good and we could afford (but only because of that employee discount), but yeah. it's not a great situation.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Kenny Logins posted:

my sweet small child scraemed in her sleep several times last night and i was told by her that i had simply imagined it

good poo poo

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

RokosCockatrice posted:

I sent my kids to preschool. What a ripoff. 26k a year, impossible to actually pay.

Years later, my sister ends up working at the school as a teacher. Her salary, well, like all teachers she gets paid nothing. What a ripoff.

Then I go look up the school on propublica, and as a nonprofit the highest paid salaries are right there for all to see. Only two people on staff make above 50k.

What the gently caress? How is everyone getting ripped off here?

except for the kids. they loved preschool.

lol our preschool was about 100 bucks a month.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

everyone except me has some kind of cold, so it’s 2a and I’m trying to wrasslin an alligator back to sleep

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

at least the covid tests all were negative

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

i'm not looking forwards to my boy's first sickness. we've managed to dodge anything so far but that can only last so long.

i think it's been like 3 or 4 years since i was last sick, hopefully my immune system hasn't atrophied in the mean time.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Our little one did most of preschool through various covid bullshit and let me tell you HEPA filters at home make a massive difference. She'd come home with sniffles (couple times full on fever) and she rarely infected another person.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
when the childe writes a memoir complaining of his parents withholding affection, I will remind him of all the times he answered an offered kiss on the head with an enthusiastic headbutt straight to the mouth.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

Dukes Mayo Clinic posted:

when the childe writes a memoir complaining of his parents withholding affection, I will remind him of all the times he answered an offered kiss on the head with an enthusiastic headbutt straight to the mouth.
one time i was going to kiss the top of my sweet small childe's little head and she jumped, cranially uppercutting me directly under the jaw. really hosed up my night

taught me to keep my chin down in the future lol

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Kenny Logins posted:

one time i was going to kiss the top of my sweet small childe's little head and she jumped, cranially uppercutting me directly under the jaw. really hosed up my night

taught me to keep my chin down in the future lol

yeah had this. also getting jumped on and punched in the dick.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

yeah had this. also getting jumped on and punched in the dick.
that wasn't your purse!

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

my kid is fond of sitting between my legs when i sit with my feet up so she can nest while watching some tv

it's very cozy but it really lends itself to her elbows landing in my weakpoints when she gets up or shifts around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

idk how I haven’t suffered a broken nose or chipped tooth yet. kids don’t realise they are cranial missiles and you gotta protect yourself lol