Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

America is about choice

For example, the choice to put bad posters on ignore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
choosing to get treats in America

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/daliahasanmd/status/1703226461002387818?s=46

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

BOGO LOAD posted:

poppers protecting herself with innate psychic powers like a space ork and the color red.

Rave vibes are epic for the win

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

Soap Scum posted:

i'm with you on that. a lot of my "it's worth it for me to do it" stance on iota carrageenan specifically is that in addition to having imo the most convincing evidence of the nasal spray ingredients (not to say it's totally convincing!), it legit costs like $50 for a lifetime supply. like here's 100g of iota carrageenen from grainger for $35. add a few bucks for a spray bottle, maybe some time/utilities to do the sterile solution mixing, and that's all you need for literally years.

it would be one thing if i had to take a $20 hit every month or whatever it is when i use up the bottle, but given that it costs me effectively nothing, i figure i don't mind the "you wasted time" ego hit if it turns out it's not actually effective.

does the Carrageenan goop accumulate in the lungs or does it drip into the gastrointestinal tubes?

i was hyped on some of the research on an effective prophylactic nasal spray, but i saw there’s been a long history of a questionable safety profile with carrageenans as a food additive.

this website summarizes some of the history:
https://www.cornucopia.org/researcher-bias-carrageenan-controversy/

Thomson AW & Fowler EF. (1981) “Carrageenan: a review of its effects on the immune system.” Agents and Actions, 11:265–273. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01967625
Carrageenans (kappa, lambda and iota) can markedly suppress immune responses both in vivo and in vitro. The mechanism responsible for carrageenan-induced immune suppression is believed to be its selective cytopathic effect on macrophages. This property of carrageenan has led to its adoption as a tool for analyzing the role of these cells in the induction and expression of immune reactivity.

Author affiliations: Department of Pathology, University of Aberdeen (Aberdeen, Scotland, UK) and the Department of Histopathology, St Bartholomew’s Hospital (London, UK)

Tobacman JK, Walters KS. 2001. “Carrageenan-induced inclusions in mammary myoepithelial cells.” Cancer Detect Prev., 25(6):520-6. PMID: 12132872. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12132872/

The purpose of this investigation was to characterize the ultrastructural changes that occur in mammary myoepithelial cells (MMEC) following exposure in tissue culture to low concentrations of lambda-carrageenan, a sulfated polysaccharide commonly used as a food additive. Carrageenan appeared to enter the cells by membrane-associated endocytic vesicles and accumulate in endosomes and lysosomes. Unusual lamellar inclusions were identified within lysosomes of the MMEC, and lysosomal vacuolation arose in association with the inclusions. The observed changes appeared to lead to destruction of the MMEC by release of proteolytic enzymes from the distorted lysosomes, similar to the process observed in lysosomal storage diseases.

Author affiliations: Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa (Iowa City, USA).

:popeye:

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

Poppers posted:

Surgical masks honestly work pretty okay. Not perfect but reasonably well.

Not for a virus that requires BSL-3

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

finally working again and man does it suck doing labor in an aura.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

eXXon posted:

I have a booster appointment later this week. Woke up with a sore throat and am getting extremely faint lines on rapid tests. Whoo...

eXXon posted:

Well, I took a FlowFlex test ($10) that was more positive than the very faint Rapid Response ones (from Canada). Got a SesameCare appointment, showed the positive test, didn't get any questions about comorbidities and had the Paxlovid Rx sent to CVS instantly, in time for my partner to pick it up before they closed. The system works, I guess.

As for where I got it, either mask fail (doubt it) or the 3 hours I spent unmasked and socializing outdoors last week, or one of two hours spent playing hockey indoors and unmasked. I mask in the change room (nobody else does) and the one time I brought an aranet inside it was 1500+ppm while the rink is ~500 for the fairly obvious reason that it needs to be ventilated to stay cool. RIP my dumb loving rear end for going unmasked anywhere even if the same plan worked out for the last two years, eventually enough die rolls catch up.
welcome to the ~*natural immunity crew*~
it loving sucks here, but we'll get by, hopefully

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

RandolphCarter posted:

finally working again and man does it suck doing labor in an aura.

vflex (or any duckbill) + a hat, or a soft elastomeric with a big exhaust valve like the 7500 series makes a huge difference for prolonged use

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tzen posted:

lol got a text from the parents of my kids best friend, their child won't be at school or activities all week because their whole household got covid
:theroni:
quoting myself
my child's best friend has been out of school/events for a week+ now due to covid
it's fine though, kids don't get covid, and covid doesn't spread in schools, so everything is fine.

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023

eXXon posted:

Well, I took a FlowFlex test ($10) that was more positive than the very faint Rapid Response ones (from Canada). Got a SesameCare appointment, showed the positive test, didn't get any questions about comorbidities and had the Paxlovid Rx sent to CVS instantly, in time for my partner to pick it up before they closed. The system works, I guess.

As for where I got it, either mask fail (doubt it) or the 3 hours I spent unmasked and socializing outdoors last week, or one of two hours spent playing hockey indoors and unmasked. I mask in the change room (nobody else does) and the one time I brought an aranet inside it was 1500+ppm while the rink is ~500 for the fairly obvious reason that it needs to be ventilated to stay cool. RIP my dumb loving rear end for going unmasked anywhere even if the same plan worked out for the last two years, eventually enough die rolls catch up.

:stare: *Remembering the fun fact about Covid hovering optimally at face level on ice rinks*

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Computer Serf posted:

vflex (or any duckbill) + a hat, or a soft elastomeric with a big exhaust valve like the 7500 series makes a huge difference for prolonged use

thanks. I’ll have to get a box when I run out of auras. should I just order from 3m?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I think we learned in 2020 from the deaths in the meatpacking industry that cold environments give a massive advantage to Covid

Computer Serf
May 14, 2005
Buglord

RandolphCarter posted:

thanks. I’ll have to get a box when I run out of auras. should I just order from 3m?

yeah or check for your regional authorized distributors. industrial suppliers like zoro should have em

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

RandolphCarter posted:

yesss. join the duckbill wearers. you'll never go back.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

So do we have any idea what date new novavax will be available? Immediately after the 22nd or later than that?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

lol I can hear my dad being angry at this and he's thousands of miles away

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Screaming and wailing, "He used to be a rebel!" when the rebellious thing to do is take COVID seriously

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Puts on a good show too, I saw him about ten years ago

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Tzen posted:

quoting myself
my child's best friend has been out of school/events for a week+ now due to covid
it's fine though, kids don't get covid, and covid doesn't spread in schools, so everything is fine.

we must keep the kids in school at all costs.
chronic absence is a huge problem!

if the kids aren't in the classroom,
they're missing out on valuable covid spreading experience

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Does he issue a refund if he declines to admit you to the concert after a positive test?

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

Skinnymansbeerbelly posted:

Does he issue a refund if he declines to admit you to the concert after a positive test?

“I was right in the front row. You see, at the time, I’d sort of been loving some servants, who had been sort of loving some peasants, who were sort of loving some serfs, who sort of worked for the Ticketmaster. The Ticketmaster, of course, was loving everybody. And still does to this day!”

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

loling remembering that Joe Biden and the Democrats saw COVID running rampant across the country and...decided to pick a fight with ticketmaster over Taylor Swift tickets lmao

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Insanite posted:

we must keep the kids in school at all costs.
chronic absence is a huge problem!

if the kids aren't in the classroom,
they're missing out on valuable covid spreading experience

I have a theory about why attendance is down: school is bullshit and all the kids know nothing matters.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

BOGO LOAD posted:

poppers protecting herself with innate psychic powers like a space ork and the color red.

not entirely a year ago, but now pretty much yes, until you get an updated booster

the bivalents provided "modest" protection against infections by ba.4/5. 30% reduced infection rate, but that's steadily gone down as it evolved. there is no measurable decrease in infection rate against current XBB lineages

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2022.12.17.22283625v5

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

https://twitter.com/pjavidan/status/1701078690724298995

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Steve Yun posted:

choosing to get treats in America

We're gonna run out of cake at this rate

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Morbus posted:

You know, those halyard duckbill N95s are, to me, if I'm being honest, more comfortable than auras. They fit great, and are MRI safe too (which is why I've used them). They just look too stupid, so aura it is lol

aura ftw

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Computer Serf posted:

7500 ftw too

Jigsaw
Aug 14, 2008

Baddog posted:

CVS just cancelled my Monday appointment because "they won't have it". Nice.

Ghost Cactus posted:

Had Sunday booster appointments at a CVS but they texted today to say they don’t have it yet.

we have the tools

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I scheduled with CVS and my appointment is in an hour. Here's hoping they don't do any last minute cancellations on me?

FunkyFjord
Jul 18, 2004

quote:

The second hitch was the Supporting Ontario Recovery Act, which prohibits “almost all” COVID-related lawsuits — so long as the defendant acted in good faith and didn’t exhibit “gross” negligence.

Gotta love supporting your locale. No, not the people, just the official governing body.

fartman
Sep 19, 2021

this show would be impossible to do in my province because the government stopped giving the public free pcr tests in January 2022 and free rat tests in April 2023. I actually looked for home tests for sale at a number of pharmacies around the city a little while ago and none of them had any in stock

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer

Computer Serf posted:

does the Carrageenan goop accumulate in the lungs or does it drip into the gastrointestinal tubes?

i was hyped on some of the research on an effective prophylactic nasal spray, but i saw there’s been a long history of a questionable safety profile with carrageenans as a food additive.

this website summarizes some of the history:
https://www.cornucopia.org/researcher-bias-carrageenan-controversy/

Thomson AW & Fowler EF. (1981) “Carrageenan: a review of its effects on the immune system.” Agents and Actions, 11:265–273. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01967625
Carrageenans (kappa, lambda and iota) can markedly suppress immune responses both in vivo and in vitro. The mechanism responsible for carrageenan-induced immune suppression is believed to be its selective cytopathic effect on macrophages. This property of carrageenan has led to its adoption as a tool for analyzing the role of these cells in the induction and expression of immune reactivity.

Author affiliations: Department of Pathology, University of Aberdeen (Aberdeen, Scotland, UK) and the Department of Histopathology, St Bartholomew’s Hospital (London, UK)

Tobacman JK, Walters KS. 2001. “Carrageenan-induced inclusions in mammary myoepithelial cells.” Cancer Detect Prev., 25(6):520-6. PMID: 12132872. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12132872/

The purpose of this investigation was to characterize the ultrastructural changes that occur in mammary myoepithelial cells (MMEC) following exposure in tissue culture to low concentrations of lambda-carrageenan, a sulfated polysaccharide commonly used as a food additive. Carrageenan appeared to enter the cells by membrane-associated endocytic vesicles and accumulate in endosomes and lysosomes. Unusual lamellar inclusions were identified within lysosomes of the MMEC, and lysosomal vacuolation arose in association with the inclusions. The observed changes appeared to lead to destruction of the MMEC by release of proteolytic enzymes from the distorted lysosomes, similar to the process observed in lysosomal storage diseases.

Author affiliations: Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa (Iowa City, USA).

:popeye:

Mucus and other goodies in the nose are eventually pushed to the throat, so we're eating our algae.

One bottle of Flo Travel contains 32mg of iota carrageenan total, which is on the low end of what the average person consumes in a day.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Lib and let die posted:

Screaming and wailing, "He used to be a rebel!" when the rebellious thing to do is take COVID seriously

Lynyrd Skynyrd were mean to him over Southern Man and he immediately submitted and said they were right

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

https://twitter.com/sandyfrizzle/status/1703410950676664610?s=61&t=0u0iPLgsrw9rb7UXErdBQA

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

https://twitter.com/NohaAboelataMD/status/1703092222181442016

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Kids don't get Covid???

Covid doesn't spread in schools???

Covid is over???

Everything is normal and fine???

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Got my shot. My insurance company is apparently on the ball, but the guy before me has to come back in a week because his insurance wasn't able to process it yet.

Everything is so stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

some insurers have the tools