Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My wild guess is tourist money from the long coastline

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

yeah it's tourism money

poor waif
Apr 8, 2007
Kaboom

Toxic Mental posted:

Maybe someone who knows this better than me can explain but what is the reason that Croatia of all places has had such a successful comeup after the 90s wars? It seems like if there was one Balkan state you'd want to be in, it'd be there.

I think Slovenia wins that race by far.

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
Went to an art exhibition. Some works by Ukrainian artist Maria Prymachenko here in London. The russians, naturally, deliberately burned down a museum containing a bunch of art by Ukrainian artists including her and some others. Well, many of her works still survive, such as this:

Putin is a big piece of poo poo.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

That beast is clearly eating the high cherries.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://t.me/aleksandr_skif/2902

quote:

Immediately after the capture of Mariupol, new tasks were set; we had to act in a different situation and with other “allied forces” - this is how we usually call those with whom we have to share a common front share. We planned to attack, and to “synchronize watches” we arrived at the headquarters of the 31st Ulyanovsk Airborne Battalion, with whose fighters we were to carry out a combat mission. The brigade was commanded by Colonel Andrei Kondrashkin with the call sign Danube. While we were fighting hand in hand, we became friends with Andrei, and today we were deeply hurt by the news of his death. We offer our condolences to his family and friends, his comrades..... I am sure that the wings of his airborne soul will quickly take him to the Throne of God, where he will sit and wait for us - we still need to do a little work.
Khodakovsky reported that the commander of the 31st Ulyanovsk VDV battalion died in combat today.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

While this war isn't existential for Russia and Russians, it is existential for the ruling elite of Russia, because dragging a country into a pointless war and losing just highlights all the mismanagement and incompetence of the Russian state apparatus.

The Ruling elites' only hope is convincing the Russian populace that the current state of affairs is not their fault, but the result of a massive conspiracy against Russia and Russians.

It’s also existential for the idea of a reborn Russian empire, once Ukraine is in NATO that’s a whole bunch of formerly Russian occupied territory that is never coming under their sway. It’s why the nationalists are so desperate to win this.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

jaete posted:

Went to an art exhibition. Some works by Ukrainian artist Maria Prymachenko here in London. The russians, naturally, deliberately burned down a museum containing a bunch of art by Ukrainian artists including her and some others. Well, many of her works still survive, such as this:

Putin is a big piece of poo poo.

it's my portrait

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr posted:

This video is from 30 klicks behind Bakhmut?

Yeah the second clip is the building at 48°26'14.7"N 38°13'30.5"E You can see the red and white metal tower just to the east on gmaps.

e: there's an IS-3 on a plinth a couple hundred metres to the south. I wonder if Russia has tried to get it running yet.

kemikalkadet fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 17, 2023

zone
Dec 6, 2016

kemikalkadet posted:

Yeah the second clip is the building at 48°26'14.7"N 38°13'30.5"E You can see the red and white metal tower just to the east on gmaps.

e: there's an IS-3 on a plinth a couple hundred metres to the south. I wonder if Russia has tried to get it running yet.

They're still resurrecting what they can of their T-55s to T-72s and a small handful of T-90s. It'll be a while yet before they're down to IS-3s.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Kadyrov in a coma due to Putin making GBS threads himself closeby

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Kadyrov in a coma due to Putin making GBS threads himself closeby

The whole Russian government from the lowest clerk up would be in a coma if that were the case.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

X-Files episode where Putin is an anomalous orphan source of polonium

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Russian Stargate episode where they have a total uncontrolled foothold situation. With Counselor Troi.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Imagine going into a poison coma as a close confederate of Putin's then going to hospital inside Putin's house?

Lol Kadyrov's gonna have a loving swell time in Moscow.

Sedgr
Sep 16, 2007

Neat!

MrQwerty posted:

X-Files episode where Putin is an anomalous orphan source of polonium

Poor waif in his radioactive underwear.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Kadyrov tragically poisoned from huffing his own farts for too long while describing the chechen militaries near mythical combat ability

Edit: its just occured to me, "poor waif in his underwear" is probably the equivalent/exonym to "being caught with your pants down" isnt it? Why the hell has it taken me like a month to realise this

Drone_Fragger fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Sep 17, 2023

Pot Smoke Phoenix
Aug 15, 2007

Smoke 'em if you gottem!
Dinosaur Gum

Pookah posted:

Imagine going into a poison coma as a close confederate of Putin's then going to hospital inside Putin's house?

Lol Kadyrov's gonna have a loving swell time in Moscow.

I see what you did there!

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Drone_Fragger posted:

Kadyrov tragically poisoned from huffing his own farts for too long while describing the chechen militaries near mythical combat ability

Edit: its just occured to me, "poor waif in his underwear" is probably the equivalent/exonym to "being caught with your pants down" isnt it? Why the hell has it taken me like a month to realise this

It's more the equivalent of referring to Zelensky as a pawn caught between two powerful sides (America and Puccia) with no agency of his own in the events occurring around him.
e: Between the Devil and the deep blue sea would be a better equivalent

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Gerashchenko_en/status/1703496136672133469

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

It's like that old English expression, "Poison is easily hidden in a glutton's kitchen."

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
It reminds me of an old saying in English: "Putin is a piece of poo poo"

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

Maybe someone who knows this better than me can explain but what is the reason that Croatia of all places has had such a successful comeup after the 90s wars? It seems like if there was one Balkan state you'd want to be in, it'd be there.

Deep Catholic and civic (for a lack of better word atm) ties to Italy, Austria and the 'west' in general.
They are part of the certified goodfellas club together with Czechia, Slovenia, Poland and the Baltics.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
look at the map, they'd have ties to italy anyways no matter what

same w the slovenes

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Also croatia is quite a bit richer (this is gdp per capita)

NoiseAnnoys
May 17, 2010

historically too, croatia has had longer ties to the west through the triune kingdom than serbia and other parts of former yugoslavia.

Tuna-Fish
Sep 13, 2017

zone posted:

https://t.me/aleksandr_skif/2902

Khodakovsky reported that the commander of the 31st Ulyanovsk VDV battalion died in combat today.

This was probably the strike reported by the Ukrainians just before, where they first took down two aa systems and then blew up the brigade HQ.

Also, there is something screwy going on with the reporting here. I think the 31st Ulyanovsk refers to a brigade, not a battalion. But why would they have a colonel commanding a brigade? Or is this guy one of the battalion commanders in the 31st VDV?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://twitter.com/TheStudyofWar/status/1703597207545377189?t=VZEq9ww_dHyL6DGTTrpdMA&s=19

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Someone dying and leading to a rebellion in a Russian territory that has autonomous leanings does sound like the next logical step if I am envisioning reading the "lead-up to Ukrainian victory" section of the Wikipedia article in 2025

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Chechnya is on the Georgian border, if poo poo gets hot there Georgia should start an offensive to get South Ossetia back.

god please help me
Jul 9, 2018
I LOVE GIVING MY TAX MONEY AND MY PERSONAL INCOME TO UKRAINE, SLAVA
Can Russia stop exploding at every possible moment? Yes. Will it? No.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

god please help me posted:

Can Russia stop exploding at every possible moment? Yes. Will it? No.

Again the Venn diagram for cigarette cessation and this are eerily close

Lots of people saying this

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

The X-man cometh posted:

Chechnya is on the Georgian border, if poo poo gets hot there Georgia should start an offensive to get South Ossetia back.

They would have a really good chance of pulling that off lol

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
https://kyivindependent.com/air-force-ukraine-downs-all-17-drones-launched-by-russia-overnight/

17/17 drones shot down over night, Putin's air force ate poo poo

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
A member of the Azov Brigade embraces his friend - an ultra-Orthodox Jewish pilgrim - during the celebration of Rosh Hashanah in Uman

You would think you'd see this and think Z-brains would be melting down because "but muh nazis", but not really. In reality most pro-Z folks hate Jews as well. They kinda believe in the same conspiracies as Hitler. But the Russian government is trying its best to hide that. The whole "Ukraine are nazis" is nothing but a front to hide these people are selling nazi ideology without calling it nazi ideology ("we might believe in similar poo poo Hitler once did, but since we are fighting Nazis in Ukraine it means we are not nazis")

See comments made by people like strelkov (for example calling Gorbachev "Gorbachev the Jew") or Rybar (he called Ukrainians "kokhol Jews").

HonorableTB fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Sep 18, 2023

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Dr. Quarex posted:

Someone dying and leading to a rebellion in a Russian territory that has autonomous leanings does sound like the next logical step if I am envisioning reading the "lead-up to Ukrainian victory" section of the Wikipedia article in 2025

After a century under the control of Moscow, the United Republic of the Mountain Dwellers pops right back up.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

It's not like Russia historically has been insanely anti-Semitic or something

Blow
Feb 10, 2004

Toxic Mental posted:

It's not like Russia historically has been insanely anti-Semitic or something

:lol:

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://t.me/ASupersharij/23353
More than a dozen explosions were heard at Tetkino in Kursk oblast, air raid sirens still ongoing apparently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry

McGavin posted:

That beast is clearly eating the high cherries.

No cherries for anyone! He's not even hungry, he just wants you to go hungry.

Who gave you permission to live well?
https://archive.kyivpost.com/article/opinion/op-ed/if-russia-is-rich-and-powerful-why-are-their-soldiers-looting-ukrainian-villages.html