Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I feel like she's trying to say "CBS are threatening the crew's jobs" but is legally not allowed to. Still a bad look, but obviously a difficult position for anyone to be put in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Because other shows don’t have jobs at stake? There’s nothing unique about these talk shows.

Plural because The View and The Talk and The Jennifer Hudson are all returning to air as well, but somehow they’ve all escaped scrutiny for this.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Vegetable posted:

Plural because The View and The Talk and The Jennifer Hudson are all returning to air as well, but somehow they’ve all escaped scrutiny for this.

If Barrymore has anything to legitimately be upset about it's this. With the other shows that immediately followed her announcement (very likely strategically waiting for someone else to take the fall) attacking her seems almost like punching down.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

A bit of managing expectations on next week's talks, via this thread from writer David Slack.

Summary: the AMPTP could be using an old union-busting tactic, in which they:

A. Announce to the press that they're willing to come back to the table, getting everyone's hopes up
B. Tell the WGA that they're only willing to negotiate if we fully remove one or more demands from the table
C. When the guild holds their ground, call off the meeting and publicly blame the guild for being unwilling to negotiate
D. Hopefully sow discord among rank-and-file members and other industry players

Of course, we have no idea if this what they're actually planning, but considering how the AMPTP strategy thus far has been "don't negotiate," it's certainly a possibility.

I'm proceeding with extremely cautious optimism.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Just nothing at all. Nothing can be done. Better scab.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Argyle posted:

Of course, we have no idea if this what they're actually planning, but considering how the AMPTP strategy thus far has been "don't negotiate," it's certainly a possibility.
Considering this is exactly what already happened, I will be surprised to the tune of zero.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Rollie Fingers posted:

Not that I expect most Americans to care, but the CEOs prolonging the strike is having a devastating effect on the VFX industry around the world, which their money spinning blockbusters and TV shows rely on.

If there's no deal this autumn, by the new year I'm guessing 75% of VFX artists around the world will be out of work and a significant chunk won't return. There's already a shortage of seniors in the field so brain drain will absolutely affect delivering shots on big and mid budget films in the future.

I'm curious, will people find work in the other film industries like those in China and India that are increasingly driven by digital effects spectacles?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Barrymore apparently deleted that 'apology' video

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Both The Rock and John Cena returned on Smackdown just now so you know what they will do under the strike.

Rollie Fingers
Jul 28, 2002

High Warlord Zog posted:

I'm curious, will people find work in the other film industries like those in China and India that are increasingly driven by digital effects spectacles?

I don’t think that’ll happen any time soon. Artists in India are paid a pittance, like 5-10x less than an American or Canadian. India is used for its enormous supply of cheap artists and for labour arbitrage purposes. There isn’t a need for more expensive foreign talent there.

A few western VFX companies already have a presence in China.

China doesn’t yet require a big influx of VFX artists though. The country hasn’t reached the point where it has 50 projects in post production at the same time, each requiring 1000+ VFX shots. I could imagine it being a bigger market in the future though.

People in VFX are and will be leaving for games, medical imaging and AR. The cost of brain drain is going to be pretty high.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

lomzus posted:

Both The Rock and John Cena returned on Smackdown just now so you know what they will do under the strike.

Johnson also donated $10m+ to the SAG strike fund earlier this year.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
Variety published a study of some streaming stats related to show endings and cancellations although most of it is hidden behind a paywall. https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/streaming-services-cancellations-study-hbo-max-highest-1235718137/

Some of the data they shared publicly is the rates at which the streamers cancel their shows:

Probably no surprise about Max topping the list but Netflix being so low and Disney so high is probably not what people expect given how people talk about them.

Caveat being that the study being paywalled (lol I'm not paying Variety for that) means that it's not possible to get the exact data but from reading the article it covers both scripted and unscripted. And I assume it isn't counting licensed series but it doesn't explicitly say that.

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Given what a shitbag he is, I’ll wait till Newsom signs it before celebrating.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

koolkal posted:

Probably no surprise about Max topping the list but Netflix being so low and Disney so high is probably not what people expect given how people talk about them.

I think the percentages are skewed because Netflix rolls out a metric fuckton of shows every month, and so while it cancels a lot of them, a lot of the chaff just hangs around. Conversely, Disney+ doesn't have a ton of original series, so when it cancels shows, proportionately the rate is higher.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

koolkal posted:

Johnson also donated $10m+ to the SAG strike fund earlier this year.
I know the guy makes twenty million a picture, but when you only shoot 2-3 movies a year, that's still a dickload of money he could've never, ever spent.

I've heard people speculate that he only did it to get out from under that whole Black Adam PR mess he was in because why would it be made public if he didn't leak it, but like, sooooooo many other people would've done sooooooo much less in sooooo many worse ways, if that's even true.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Yeah, I think if you were just a egotistical dick (and not a sex pest or serial harasser) then being a union guy and giving a lot of money is a good way to still get invited to the good parties.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Turns out everybody shouting at you works because Drew Barrymore has agreed to stop production of her show until the strike is resolved.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Time for everyone to shout at Bill Maher and those other 2-4 talk shows that were also coming back but tried to stay under the radar while Drew Barrymore drew all the fire

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

Turns out everybody shouting at you works because Drew Barrymore has agreed to stop production of her show until the strike is resolved.
I keep trying to tell people that bullying works

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
I feel like Bill Maher is enough of a shitbag that any attempt to shame him into not scabbing will just lead to him ranting about entitled children trying to cancel him

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Publicly shaming Bill Maher hasn't stopped him from being a piece of poo poo before

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013

MagusDraco posted:

Time for everyone to shout at Bill Maher and those other 2-4 talk shows that were also coming back but tried to stay under the radar while Drew Barrymore drew all the fire

Other CBS show the talk is following suit:

https://twitter.com/variety/status/1703452102507258045?s=46

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

DarklyDreaming posted:

I feel like Bill Maher is enough of a shitbag that any attempt to shame him into not scabbing will just lead to him ranting about entitled children trying to cancel him

He's already on record as thinking writers aren't entitled to a living wage so Maher can be safely written off.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

He's already on record as thinking writers aren't entitled to a living wage so Maher can be safely written off.

Yeah, Maher's said and done all sorts of career-ending poo poo and suffered no consequences for any of it. And every attempt to call him out on that just makes him all that more recalcitrant.

Also Maher's always been a ladder-sawing ratfuck. He's an English major who managed to make money with an English degree by being a writer, and instead of helping other aspiring artists find success, he went "got mine, gently caress you" instead.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 17, 2023

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I wonder how much of this is caving to pressure, and how much is realising that they can't actually produce a show they can stomach airing without writers, or guests who are actors.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I think with Drew Barrymore, she was just out of her depth, despite her pedigree. Her heart is in the right place but her brain is two towns over. She means well but that bubble of wealth is potent.

While I thought she should have REALLY spoken to the people affected by the strike, her crew, uh literally anyone with an ear to the ground, she did change course and realize that this isn’t the way to go. She owned up to loving up. That is a rare thing, and good on her for doing so.

Bill Maher is not owed a living. Maher is owed absolutely zilch. Anyone can go into YouTube and find an insufferable white man and idiot sycophants who agree with them. Probably with a higher viewership, like it’s not 1999 anymore. If he comes back, who cares? I mean, I didn’t even know he had a show again. What, is Spin City also coming back??

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Bill absolutely subsists on being a shitheel, I would assume he is hoping to bring himself attention with all of this and best thing to do is just keep ignoring him. His very nature makes it counter productive to even dunk on him

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://twitter.com/flying_lobster/status/1703498820511039865?s=46

Today I learned Dancing with the Stars is a WGA show (through its exec producer, who’s apparently it’s sole writer but it counts)

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Today I learned Jason Mraz is still a thing

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
there's always dramaturgy in reality tv, so i guess that makes sense

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Khanstant posted:

Bill absolutely subsists on being a shitheel, I would assume he is hoping to bring himself attention with all of this and best thing to do is just keep ignoring him. His very nature makes it counter productive to even dunk on him

His whole schtick is being a contrarian rear end in a top hat which makes you a fence sitter but an rear end in a top hat about it.

cartoons123
Nov 7, 2013
https://twitter.com/tvmojoe/status/1703526365168087238?s=46&t=8swt_9Tpbesa4QvypYB88A

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Isn't Maher WGA? Can't he be kicked out for this?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I saw a comment on reddit (I know) saying they wonder if they’re all pausing production because they got an inside tip the writers are gonna get offered a good deal this week anyway so may as well wait for the guild to approve it.

raven77
Jan 28, 2006

Nevermore.

Dawgstar posted:

Isn't Maher WGA? Can't he be kicked out for this?

He is, but he's claiming he won't do any pre-written stuff, so it's all okay. He's still thumbing his nose at the people on strike, but it's what you'd expect from Bill Maher unfortunately. I'd guess the WGA will just ignore him because for people like him any negative attention is a win in their eyes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

fart blood posted:

I saw a comment on reddit (I know) saying they wonder if they’re all pausing production because they got an inside tip the writers are gonna get offered a good deal this week anyway so may as well wait for the guild to approve it.
Not impossible, but it's just as likely that they saw the backlash against Drew Barrymore and decided to not get any of that heat

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

fart blood posted:

I heard the studios are on a January production schedule, which means they don't expect anything resolved before the end of the year. If the studios are making these internal decisions, I am not confident they are offering any deals in good faith.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

kliras posted:

there's always dramaturgy in reality tv, so i guess that makes sense

There’s also a lot of actual writing. My partner works in “unscripted” and she does as much writing as I do on my scripted show. Probably more, tbh.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

VorpalBunny posted:

I heard the studios are on a January production schedule, which means they don't expect anything resolved before the end of the year. If the studios are making these internal decisions, I am not confident they are offering any deals in good faith.

If January is the start though, then they gotta get everyone back NOW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fart blood posted:

If January is the start though, then they gotta get everyone back NOW.

That would be the sensible response, but I bet they think they can just have people film without (finalised) scripts. Consistent with their logic so far tbh.