Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

As this is a slow news day, I have taken the liberty of posting this opinion piece in full, because I've read it 4 times and I am unsure if he is trying to make the point I am reading (italization not mine):

It seems to me that he is saying the plague normalization is a good thing? :coronatoot:

quote:

It may be decades before our attention is emancipated from the slavery of a necessary but unhealthy health vigilance.

Personally I feel like all the insane risk calculation and hoop jumping, the lies about mask efficacy followed by the lies about vaccine efficacy, the scolding about vaccine banditing, the scolding about the wearing the wrong kind of mask (first any mask, then respirators that actually work, then masks that are either too effective or not effective enough), the normalization of mass death, the othering of the victims of the disease, and the sheer cognitive dissonance of the mass media discourse is the most if not only fatiguing part of this situation. Putting an N95 on has stopped being something I really think or care about other than in situations like long-haul travel where it's really hard to do it, and yet if I make the mistake of listening to a single minute of NPR coverage about COVID (on the rare occasions they still talk about it) I can feel the life being siphoned out of my body.

e: where's that "wear n95 or better" gymnastics meme?

The Oldest Man has issued a correction as of 22:26 on Sep 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Pingui posted:

lmao, this poo poo sucks.

I “tutor” a professor in Taiwan (friend of my wife) for her tourism/hospitality industry classes. It’s a rich people uni that does all their stuff in English so I mostly help her with editing her PowerPoints/documents/papers from the common pitfalls of ESL writing but man is it always a wild read learning what her coursework and research is about. it’s just so flagrantly capitalist. “Revenge tourism” came up a ton, basically the idea that people who couldn’t spend for a year or two saved more money “during the pandemic” and were willing to be exploited as a “premium consumer” when things opened back up and they could blow their whole wad at once.

also a lot of research into what people liked about the lower contact environments and what to keep even after Covid measures ended. Millennials like more apps, less people, etc, and it’s both fascinating and horrifying to read about the take home messages various hospitality industry titans took from Covid that all boils down to having to pay less staff while charging more.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

japan has a huge number of hotels that use kiosks for check in, no staff. lots more restaurants with ordering via tablet and even delivery of food via little robotic carts.

things were moving in that direction, and some of those things already existed, but it's pervasive now

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

SardonicTyrant posted:

the joke was listening to my mom do the same to someone else.

yikes

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Honestly, having my life upended by arthritis a decade+ ago and learning how to live a smaller life has given me both a higher tolerance to the effects of this pandemic on my social life and a seething contempt for the people going insane because they couldn't go to a restaurant for like a month. Giant goddamn babies the lot of them.

goodnight mooned
Aug 2, 2007

I have covid. first time. literally can't smell poo poo. might eat an onion for lunch later

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

PoundSand posted:

plays out exactly how a pessimist would expect,

It's like being a wizard except life sucks.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

goodnight mooned posted:

I have covid. first time. literally can't smell poo poo. might eat an onion for lunch later

Sorry to hear, get Paxlovid if you can.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

thuly posted:

Finding Novavax info in my state is like pulling teeth, swear to God I might have to road trip to get the good juice.

if the last round of novavax availability is any indication, looks like my best shot as a massachusettsian is to head to new hampshire (because of course)

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
I'm assuming vaccines.gov is completely unreliable for locating Novavax? It claims every CVS and Walgreens near me has it but it's not an option while scheduling

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Woah anyone heard of this covid thing? Sounds crazy.

Oh wait it's 2023 and this is what my hospital is sending out again for some reason, despite covid having been over for a year now? Strange.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Asproigerosis posted:

Oh wait it's 2023 and this is what my hospital is sending out again for some reason, despite covid having been over for a year now? Strange.

lmao

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
On one hand they absolutely just reuploaded the same covid emergency standards healthstream they made back in 2020. On the other hand its exactly what the administration thinks about how covid works.

I just clicked through real quick cause it's a bunch of wank off bullshit but I caught a glimpse of an n95 next to a brown paper bag and I'm sure if I had stopped to read it would have been talking about reusing the same n95 for months.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Asproigerosis posted:

lol what's the right answer

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

fosborb posted:

lol what's the right answer

The 6 foot one

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

PoundSand posted:

I recall getting into several fights in 2020 with friends over the idea that the second Biden walks into office people will stop caring about Covid/kids in cages/literally every progressive issue he won’t do poo poo about and it’s crazy how fast that stuff got memory holed. like fortunately it wasn’t Twitter arguments so no one who knew me assumed I was a trump supporter for saying mainstream democrats only care about these issues as the opposition party but it’s so bizarre to me that this sort of discussion comes up, plays out exactly how a pessimist would expect, then upcoming election year the same people will step on the same rakes going to bat for the idea that either party cares about anything other than their rich friends and their insider trading portfolios.

I wonder how this compares to Clinton in the 1990s. I wasn't around but my understanding is he ran as mildly center-left in 1992, and then the rightward turn was explained away as triangulating towards the Republicans out of necessity. This time around it feels more like there's much more explicit memory-holing and in a year or two Biden will have always been a center-right figure, will have been elected in 2020 as a center-right figure, and all the articles about how he is the most progressive president since FDR will have been taken offline

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

jisforjosh posted:

I'm assuming vaccines.gov is completely unreliable for locating Novavax? It claims every CVS and Walgreens near me has it but it's not an option while scheduling

It's not available anywhere yet right?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

icantfindaname posted:

I wonder how this compares to Clinton in the 1990s. I wasn't around but my understanding is he ran as mildly center-left in 1992, and then the rightward turn was explained away as triangulating towards the Republicans out of necessity. This time around it feels more like there's much more explicit memory-holing and in a year or two Biden will have always been a center-right figure, will have been elected in 2020 as a center-right figure, and all the articles about how he is the most progressive president since FDR will have been taken offline

Why bother? If you think the audience wants him to be center right, you can just say that, and if someone says that's bad you can hit them with the Well Actually list of legacy-defining progressive memos or whatever. The point is just to say whatever sounds good and it doesn't matter that nobody falls for it, it's just about getting the brand out there

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Baddog posted:

Yah, one of my kids friends plays hockey seriously, and caught it repeatedly in those first 2 years, apparently from the rink. It is kinda weird, because a huge ventilated space, right.

But here is a study saying that the air is stagnant right at head height.
https://ysph.yale.edu/public-health...door-ice-rinks/

Also maybe something with the cold air in there making the virus more stable. But now you got me worried about how applicable this is to climbing gyms and those tennis domes.

(hope you got an easy one and get better soon!)

it’s not that the virus is more stable, it’s that having a cold nose slows down your first responder cells that normally circulate around your nose, looking for invaders. Ironically enough even a cloth mask is enough to keep your nose warm enough to help ameliorate this effect.

quote:

The closer quarters of wintertime living do, in fact, contribute to an increase in viral transmission. However, that doesn’t explain the initial wave of illness that kicks off the start of the flu season each year. New research suggests the cause may be found within the human nose -- specifically, that colder temperatures have an adverse effect on the efficacy of the immune response that takes place inside of the nose.

The study, from researchers at Massachusetts Eye and Ear hospital and Northeastern University, appeared last December in the Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology. According to their findings, a crucial frontline immune response, which occurs within the nasal passages, becomes significantly less effective when the nose itself gets cold. At issue are microscopic structures known as extra-cellular vesicles, or EVs. In the presence of certain threats, including bacteria and some respiratory viruses, billions of EVs are released into the mucus of the nose. There, they surround and kill the invaders.

According to this new research, a decrease of just 9 degrees Fahrenheit in the tissue temperature of the nasal passages cut the number of EVs available to respond to a threat by more than 40%. The colder temperature also caused changes to the composition of the EVs that reduced their efficacy. The researchers theorize that all of this hampers the body’s ability to fight off respiratory viruses and leads to the annual winter surge.

We can’t change the weather, but we can protect ourselves. This includes an annual flu shot, which this year is proving to be a good match to the circulating virus. (And no, it’s not too late to get one.) The masks so many of us have stockpiled are also a useful tool. Not only do they offer a physical barrier against the airborne droplets that can carry viral particles, but they also create a warm microclimate. This can help keep the nose’s immune defenses in fighting form.
full study here

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

jisforjosh posted:

icantfindaname posted:

It's not available anywhere yet right?

The updated Novavax has not been approved yet, there is an FDA (potential approval) meeting the 22nd.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Sometimes enjoying yourself means not wearing a mask

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BusError posted:

I'm just about through my bottle of Enovid and I'd like to replace it with some iota carrageenan spray instead of dropping another jillion dollars on something that by all accounts works less well. US goons who have purchased some, where'd you get it? I've pretty skeptical of getting anything that really needs to be the genuine article from Amazon, but that's all I've found via googling...

Yeah you can buy it from Amazon but I was leery given what I'd read in reviews about people getting broken bottles or obviously used bottles etc. You have two options, basically.
  • Order from a supplier in Canada that ships to the US. This company was recommended on Reddit's zero-covid community (looks like they built in the cost of shipping into the price they charge, which is currently 20 bucks. Pre-covid prices for a bottle of this was 12.99CA, for an example). This is a bog-standard online checkout page and seems totally legit, though there is no option for expedited shipping.

• Make your own. This is a bit more difficult than its spelled out here, as the formulation for the consumer sized packets of iota carrageenan are cut with a lot of sugar because they're mostly used in stuff like candy making or baking. Pure iota-carrageenan for commercial use is sold in amounts that are several lifetime supplies worth (I think the smallest I've found is 20g), and you'd basically need to be either making huge amounts of spray at a time or have a scale that can measure thousandths of a gram (these cost hundreds of dollars to start). Pure iota-carrageenan is also gatekept for sale at the various scientific equipment sites who want an EIN and description of your organization before they ship it to you and they also want to charge a shitton for shipping it as if it were a hazardous chemical, even though the safety sheet lists no hazardous handling measures are required for shipping. (however, it does seem to need to be kept away from sources of heat in industrial quantities).

Just for funsies, some links to safety studies on intranasal application of products containing iota-carrageenan and efficacy of intranasal treatments for covid-19 including for Enovid, Taffix, and iota-carrageenan-containing nasal sprays. and safety of application of iota-carrageenan on oral tissues.
Money quote:

quote:

Overall, neither published data nor results from studies presented herein provide any evidence for local intolerance or toxicity, when 0.12% iota-carrageenan is applied intranasally / topically or by inhalation supporting the beneficial safety profile described for iota-carrageenan. There were no nonclinical findings that would preclude the safe administration of 0.12% iota-carrageenan to humans for treatment of respiratory viral infections.

Finally, for the hippies screaming about the dangers of food-grade carrageenan, no, you're confusing different types of carrageenan, shut up.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I thought they buffed the area of effect in a major release over a year ago :hmmrona:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-66818046 posted:

Covid: Over-65s called for jabs as hospital cases rise
People 65 and over in England are being urged to get a top-up booster vaccine against Covid at a time when more people are coming into hospitals with the virus.
(..)
For most people, catching Covid, while unpleasant, is less risky. Past Covid infections and vaccines have trained the immune system to stop severe illness, even if it cannot stop infection.
(..)

Fun fact, COVID hospitalizations in England ("Patients admitted to hospital (weekly)") are 4.5% lower than same time last year.

Tbf, they are 39.6% lower than same time in 2021, so that should take more than a week to catch up to at current pace.

Source: https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.

Poppers posted:

Sometimes enjoying yourself means not wearing a mask

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

corona familiar posted:

I thought they buffed the area of effect in a major release over a year ago :hmmrona:

It was inherent at launch, if you check the patch notes it was just an error in the tool tips.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Maybe instead of being dismissive you should consider why so many people enjoy doing things without masks. Perhaps there is a reason…?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mags
May 30, 2008

I am a congenital optimist.
c'est la vie

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Computer Serf posted:

does the Carrageenan goop accumulate in the lungs or does it drip into the gastrointestinal tubes?

i was hyped on some of the research on an effective prophylactic nasal spray, but i saw there’s been a long history of a questionable safety profile with carrageenans as a food additive.

this website summarizes some of the history:
https://www.cornucopia.org/researcher-bias-carrageenan-controversy/

Thomson AW & Fowler EF. (1981) “Carrageenan: a review of its effects on the immune system.” Agents and Actions, 11:265–273. https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF01967625
Carrageenans (kappa, lambda and iota) can markedly suppress immune responses both in vivo and in vitro. The mechanism responsible for carrageenan-induced immune suppression is believed to be its selective cytopathic effect on macrophages. This property of carrageenan has led to its adoption as a tool for analyzing the role of these cells in the induction and expression of immune reactivity.

Author affiliations: Department of Pathology, University of Aberdeen (Aberdeen, Scotland, UK) and the Department of Histopathology, St Bartholomew’s Hospital (London, UK)

Tobacman JK, Walters KS. 2001. “Carrageenan-induced inclusions in mammary myoepithelial cells.” Cancer Detect Prev., 25(6):520-6. PMID: 12132872. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/12132872/

The purpose of this investigation was to characterize the ultrastructural changes that occur in mammary myoepithelial cells (MMEC) following exposure in tissue culture to low concentrations of lambda-carrageenan, a sulfated polysaccharide commonly used as a food additive. Carrageenan appeared to enter the cells by membrane-associated endocytic vesicles and accumulate in endosomes and lysosomes. Unusual lamellar inclusions were identified within lysosomes of the MMEC, and lysosomal vacuolation arose in association with the inclusions. The observed changes appeared to lead to destruction of the MMEC by release of proteolytic enzymes from the distorted lysosomes, similar to the process observed in lysosomal storage diseases.

Author affiliations: Department of Internal Medicine, University of Iowa (Iowa City, USA).

:popeye:

That website is full of poo poo, there's not a single scientifically-trained person on their entire board, and there's a reason most of the studies you can find decrying the safety of iota-carrageenan are so old. To wit:

quote:

Carrageenan (CGN) is a common food additive that has been widely used for decades as a gelling, thickening and stabilizing agent. Carrageenan has been proven safe for human consumption; however, there has been significant confusion in the literature between CGN and the products of intentional acid-hydrolysis of CGN, which are degraded CGN (d-CGN) and poligeenan (PGN). In part, this confusion was due to the nomenclature used in early studies on CGN, where poligeenan was referred to as "degraded carrageenan" (d-CGN) and "degraded carrageenan" was simply referred to as carrageenan. Although this nomenclature has been corrected, confusion still exists resulting in misinterpretation of data and the subsequent dissemination of incorrect information regarding the safe dietary use of CGN. The lack of understanding of the molecular weight distribution of CGN has further exacerbated the issue. The significant differences in chemistry, manufacture, and protein reactivity of CGN versus d-CGN and PGN are reviewed, in addition to the in vivo toxicological profiles of CGN, d-CGN, and PGN. As CGN cannot be hydrolyzed to PGN in vivo, concerns over the use of CGN as a food additive are unfounded, particularly since current studies support the lack of oncogenic and tumorigenic activity of CGN in humans.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Poppers posted:

Maybe instead of being dismissive you should consider why so many people enjoy doing things without masks. Perhaps there is a reason…?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lmao

BusError
Jan 4, 2005

stupid babies need the most attention

Oracle posted:

Order from a supplier in Canada that ships to the US. This company was recommended on Reddit's zero-covid community (looks like they built in the cost of shipping into the price they charge, which is currently 20 bucks. Pre-covid prices for a bottle of this was 12.99CA, for an example). This is a bog-standard online checkout page and seems totally legit, though there is no option for expedited shipping.

Ah nice, wound up buying from that site earlier today after scrounging around for any other sources and coming up dry. I thought they looked about as legit as I could hope for, so glad to hear they appeared that way to your eyes, too. Will update here if I got scammed!

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

BusError posted:

Ah nice, wound up buying from that site earlier today after scrounging around for any other sources and coming up dry. I thought they looked about as legit as I could hope for, so glad to hear they appeared that way to your eyes, too. Will update here if I got scammed!

I bought my first batch from a much sketchier 'hey give us an e-check or call us on the phone with your cc#' site and managed to not get scammed (it was just a pharmacy in BC that had no idea what they were doing but people kept asking to ship international so welp) this looks one hell of a lot better lol

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Asproigerosis posted:

I caught a glimpse of an n95 next to a brown paper bag and I'm sure if I had stopped to read it would have been talking about reusing the same n95 for months.

Okay at the risk of sounding really dumb but are you not supposed to do that? I mean I've been slowly going through a box of N95s since last year just by reusing as much as possible and only replacing if they get soggy or the bands snap, but I work in food service, not in health care.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

UnknownMercenary posted:

Okay at the risk of sounding really dumb but are you not supposed to do that? I mean I've been slowly going through a box of N95s since last year just by reusing as much as possible and only replacing if they get soggy or the bands snap, but I work in food service, not in health care.

Yeah it's fine, but it should absolutely not be official hospital policy anymore.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

The updated Novavax has not been approved yet, there is an FDA (potential approval) meeting the 22nd.

I can’t believe a thread title would lie to me

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

RandolphCarter posted:

I can’t believe a thread title would lie to me

It isn't lying, Pfizer and Moderna are out.

Edit: Okay, the "available" might be stretching the truth, considering the clusterfuck of a rollout :P

Pingui has issued a correction as of 02:22 on Sep 18, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001
My cousin has gone all anti-vax on me. Thought he was a pretty smart guy, but now he's sending me Pierre Kory links.

Pierre is pretty smart, he's blaming allllll the long covid symptoms on the vaccine. Even the brain fog. These symptoms can pop up months and months after you get the shot! Sometimes they won't show up until after you are infected with covid, lol. "Or a close exposure to a high-spike protein producing, (generally recently vaccinated) individual". I guess this is where the shedding spikes nonsense comes from.

I don't even know what to respond. I guess just "what the gently caress, don't be a dumbass, let your immunocompromised mom get the new vaccine".

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
So far none of the awesome non-chain pharmacies me or my parents got shots at in the past are getting it. Too expensive and too much hassle dealing with insurance for it.

Sweet!

Looking forward to having to drag my corpse into a crowded CVS to get coughed on by a dozen sick kids in order to get a vaccine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Baddog posted:

My cousin has gone all anti-vax on me. Thought he was a pretty smart guy, but now he's sending me Pierre Kory links.

Pierre is pretty smart, he's blaming allllll the long covid symptoms on the vaccine. Even the brain fog. These symptoms can pop up months and months after you get the shot! Sometimes they won't show up until after you are infected with covid, lol. "Or a close exposure to a high-spike protein producing, (generally recently vaccinated) individual". I guess this is where the shedding spikes nonsense comes from.

I don't even know what to respond. I guess just "what the gently caress, don't be a dumbass, let your immunocompromised mom get the new vaccine".

Sorry your cousin sucks :(

It is one of those things where the governmental oversell of the vaccines and downplaying of COVID really did a number on a lot of people. Trying to desperately mash experienced reality together with that particular brand of bullshit, made the alternative explanations much more intuitively correct. Basically that gymnastics cartoon, where people like Pierre Kory are the top cartoon, while the CDC are still doing the bottom one.

Edit, this one:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 02:40 on Sep 18, 2023