Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Played the first FAITH game tonight. Was a fun like 45minutes. I somehow avoided everything about the games except that they're extremely popular and it is funny to see how this is totally why so many crappy horror games from itch.io use that specific text to speech voice thing lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeep
Feb 20, 2013

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Played the first FAITH game tonight. Was a fun like 45minutes. I somehow avoided everything about the games except that they're extremely popular and it is funny to see how this is totally why so many crappy horror games from itch.io use that specific text to speech voice thing lol.

FAITH is so sick, and I found that every game in the trilogy only gets better.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ibram Gaunt posted:

FAITH is epic

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Faith is extremely good, though I feel chapter 2 is the weakest of the three, myself. It's still good!

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Candy Tunnel

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Simiain posted:

I'll highly recommend Hob's Barrow, but I'm also very partial to its setting. Victorian folk-horror aside, the characters are intriguing and the puzzles are consistently logical throughout.

I'm beginning to think about Halloween and the slate of horror games I set aside to play every October. Last year I beat Prey, Scorn, Soma, Signalis, and a whole bunch of the Five Nights games this year I'm not sure....I suspect I'll replay Scorn because that game stuck with me after I finished it and I've been meaning to give it another run, and Mandalore Gaming has me sold on Stasis: Bone Totem (though I'd much rather play on console than on the PC, so I hope it gets a console release before October). I might replay REmake, but ideally I prefer my horror to be heavy on existential gloom and light on combat, similarly I've tried and failed to get all the way through the Evil Within so many times its become a kind of Fall tradition for me, maybe this year I'll manage it.

Otherwise I'm looking at Anatomy and maaaaybe Darkwood.

I tried getting into Darkwood last year but stopped. Maybe it'll be my tradition like Evil Within is yours.

Honestly, the last part of Evil Within is some bullshit as it turns into a really tough gauntlet of enemies being thrown at you. Probably my main reason of not wanting to jump back into it.

I just finished Signalis a few days ago, and now I'm reading the King in Yellow to get more connected to its world.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Strawberry Panda posted:

I just finished Signalis a few days ago, and now I'm reading the King in Yellow to get more connected to its world.

I keep hearing people talk up the King in Yellow as it relates to a lot of horror games but I'm about halfway through it and I just don't really find it that compelling. Lovecraft had some issues but his prose is a lot better imo because his stories tended to be 70% grounded mystery novel and 10-30% wiggly wobbly fish cult stuff, while King In Yellow is kind of the opposite.

They aren't *bad* stories, just not as cohesive as I was expecting for as much as people were throwing the book title around.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I enjoyed Hob's Barrow even though it's very much a Bad Decisions Simulator. Terrific atmosphere and some great use of rotoscoped cutscenes that don't overstay their welcome

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
I guess I'll pick up FAITH as a pre-Pinocchioborne snack, the way y'all are talking it up

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
I love Darkwood to bits, its so good, It has one of my favorite opening acts in games.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its definitely not horror but the loving elephant scene in "it takes two" absolutely comes across as horror. What the gently caress.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
fisher price coen brothers

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

https://twitter.com/bitmap_books/status/1703689043861446984?s=46&t=Yc8UbT5ow_wv5Fa1IW4MdA

This could be cool and good

Bumhead fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 18, 2023

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Just an off topic tip that I recently figured out, SA won't embed x.com links, you have to change the stupid X to Twitter and it'll embed them properly.

At least with my browser.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Medullah posted:

Just an off topic tip that I recently figured out, SA won't embed x.com links, you have to change the stupid X to Twitter and it'll embed them properly.

At least with my browser.

My dumb rear end was trying to figure that out so appreciate it.

Doesn't appear to have fixed it by editing, though (again, at least on my browser). Thanks, Elon.

Anyway, Bitmap Books have a horror games themed book launching in October. I only own their first person shooter one up to now but it's excellent and very high quality.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Bumhead posted:

My dumb rear end was trying to figure that out so appreciate it.

Doesn't appear to have fixed it by editing, though (again, at least on my browser). Thanks, Elon.

Anyway, Bitmap Books have a horror games themed book launching in October. I only own their first person shooter one up to now but it's excellent and very high quality.

It looks good to me! Both the book and the edit. :)

Edit - And yeah, it took me a while to figure out why they weren't embedding. Changing it to www.twitter.com/X doesn't work, but just twitter.com/x works.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Bitmap makes good books, I own several of their previous release. Will keep an eye on this one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Got a little fed up with FAITH chapter 2. You move too drat slow...It didn't really bug me in the first game since you had only a couple screens to navigate outside the forest but the scale being larger here didn't help. It's still really cool I just find myself getting annoyed lol.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I've got a couple of their books they're p fun coffee table reads and super well made

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Got a little fed up with FAITH chapter 2. You move too drat slow...It didn't really bug me in the first game since you had only a couple screens to navigate outside the forest but the scale being larger here didn't help. It's still really cool I just find myself getting annoyed lol.

same here, I ended up watching an LP on double speed after like 20 minutes into chapter 2

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Ad Infinitum is a walking sim. The gun featured in advertising is just plot related...

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Atari’s ‘Haunted House’ Reimagining Arrives October 12 for PC, Consoles

Well, can't be worse than the last reboot.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Need a remake of Doctor Hauzer.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played a little bit of Paranormasight last night and man, it's surprising how the simple act of allowing you to turn around adds a lot of spookiness to a game. Really brings the 'oh poo poo there's something behind me' chills, and having to turn around yourself to see it.

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

So the SCP: Secret Files dev team doesn't exist anymore. Apparently, there was an announcement a few months ago I completely missed.

It was really atmospheric and cool, even if it was too short for my liking, but it sucks when you have people who seem to understand a thing with nearly limitless potential and it just...fizzles out after a great start :(

TheWorldsaStage fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 20, 2023

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Morpheus posted:

Played a little bit of Paranormasight last night and man, it's surprising how the simple act of allowing you to turn around adds a lot of spookiness to a game. Really brings the 'oh poo poo there's something behind me' chills, and having to turn around yourself to see it.

I bought this and planned to play it together with my partner for our yearly October spooky game marathons (Fatal Frame games are always a must, but also a good VN/narrative game), but this post makes me want to get started two weeks early. :getin:

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Read After Burning posted:

I bought this and planned to play it together with my partner for our yearly October spooky game marathons (Fatal Frame games are always a must, but also a good VN/narrative game), but this post makes me want to get started two weeks early. :getin:

I had already cemented my list for this year but might have to knock something off for this game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Read After Burning posted:

One of the first things that happens is that you're hanging out with someone in the dead of night who screams and points behind you. She's completely wracked with fear and can't say a word. Knowing that I had to turn around myself, slowly, genuinely got my pulse racing. I haven't even made it to the plot proper and I really want to know where it goes.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

Having played through the whole game, I agree Paranormasight is pretty solid and a good length, although I think it could've stood to spend more time on some of the revelations, cause a few felt a bit rushed. (Somewhat vague end game stuff) Namely, I feel like it petered out near the end when it finally revealed the meta twist. Felt like about an hour was missing somehow.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Cat Lady has been a good vibe on recommendation from this thread

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Simiain posted:

I'll highly recommend Hob's Barrow, but I'm also very partial to its setting. Victorian folk-horror aside, the characters are intriguing and the puzzles are consistently logical throughout.

I'm beginning to think about Halloween and the slate of horror games I set aside to play every October. Last year I beat Prey, Scorn, Soma, Signalis, and a whole bunch of the Five Nights games this year I'm not sure....I suspect I'll replay Scorn because that game stuck with me after I finished it and I've been meaning to give it another run, and Mandalore Gaming has me sold on Stasis: Bone Totem (though I'd much rather play on console than on the PC, so I hope it gets a console release before October). I might replay REmake, but ideally I prefer my horror to be heavy on existential gloom and light on combat, similarly I've tried and failed to get all the way through the Evil Within so many times its become a kind of Fall tradition for me, maybe this year I'll manage it.

Otherwise I'm looking at Anatomy and maaaaybe Darkwood.

I'd recommend playing one of the first three Silent Hill games because while there technically is combat in them by volume, if you set it to easy you can wade through that aspect of the game without much though and just enjoy the incredible atmosphere.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Faith is so loving good. I love how vast part 3 feels compared to the first two and all the hidden bosses and stuff.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Sep 22, 2023

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Faith is amazing but holy poo poo I don't think I've ever been worse at playing any game in my life.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Well at least when you die you can Mortis

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

every day I'm mortin

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

got my spooptober dance card all filled out: re7, signalis, fear & hunger 2

Enemabag Jones
Mar 24, 2015

Everyone bear with me, I'm sorry if this has been pointed out before, but uh

Can somebody please explain to me why Bloober is doing Silent Hill 2 as opposed to, I don't know, Silent Hills? BlooberTeam has made their entire business model off of making PT clones, am I losing my mind? It's been a decade.

Also the one ex-Bloober guy who tried to preserve PT has Yamaoka attached now. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1807210/Stray_Souls/

Enemabag Jones fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Sep 23, 2023

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Enemabag Jones posted:

Can somebody please explain to me why Bloober is doing Silent Hill 2 as opposed to, I don't know, Silent Hills? BlooberTeam has made their entire business model off of making PT clones, am I losing my mind? It's been a decade.

Also the one ex-Bloober guy who tried to preserve PT has Yamaoka attached now. https://store.steampowered.com/app/1807210/Stray_Souls/

They probably told Konami they'd do it for cheap.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Enemabag Jones posted:

Because they think it would be easy

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

if theres one thing that gets bloober rock hard its dead wives and there isnt a silent hill with more dead wives than sh2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Bloober has no capacity for unique creative thoughts. Even if they were given Silent Hills it would just be a mash of every other Silent Hill game at the same time, killing even more women