Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

can you create books made of long form quotes from other books

quoting the entirety of the 36 lessons with “this”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
oh... empty quoting. that went right over my head

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I theoretically would have been playing chained echoes right now but got BG3 fomo

I'll get around to it once I'm done with bg3 however long that takes

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Chained Echoes owns because the moon is canonically a giant owl that destroys any airships that fly too high

Also it's really satisfying stacking various buffs from the bard character and watching Sienna do all the damage in the game

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1703310488896258542

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Epic High Five posted:

It's the first JRPG I've ever played where getting credits with an almost 100% completion didn't stop me from wanting to spin it back up again and go with a completely different party composition, which is saying something. Forcing a bit of a break tho.

Oh and it's a single dev project which is incredible to think about, except the soundtrack which was another guy and is probably the best OST for a game I've ever heard.

I think you definitely benefitted from playing it now as iirc the crystal system got reworked. Its systems were a little rougher at launch than they are now. Still really liked the game overall.

Sienna is pretty insane with max speed. Even against the secret ultimate boss she had like 4 turns to its one. Just wonderfully busted.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Dreylad posted:

I think you definitely benefitted from playing it now as iirc the crystal system got reworked. Its systems were a little rougher at launch than they are now. Still really liked the game overall.

Sienna is pretty insane with max speed. Even against the secret ultimate boss she had like 4 turns to its one. Just wonderfully busted.

Her and Mikah just shredded, I think the final boss got one turn total per phase, same with the optional big boss. Not the sky armor parts tho because ironically that's the weakest I ever was relative to the enemies.

The crystal system was kind of just there, I just tossed whatever worked at the time in and it seemed to work, just whatever the best version of whatever that character's thing is. Only real big brain move I did with those was giving Victor First Strike so that 85% of the time he was going 2nd with his buffs so that his first "normal" turn could be healing when everybody most needs it

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
jesus games really does hate games

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

why what happened

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

games are good

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

jesus games really does hate games

yes but waht did i miss this time

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
nothing interesting. just downtrodden gamers

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Too busy playing games to read games maybe like try playing games

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
gamers rise up

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Cuttlefush posted:

nothing interesting. just downtrodden gamers
oh ok.

but yes, I used to post in like Steam megathread and some other odds ones and it's mostly just bland and/or sad. digital hoarding of games and never playing them or buying something you won't like just to hateplay it ftw. its also funny how many ex-cspam posters in there who have 2016 ptsd and get insanely mad about 'politics posting' over something as simple as like waluigi is a trot

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Cuttlefush posted:

its so good

god I just spent like an hour getting a single stamp in the one of the first dragon arenas: master difficulty, six waves of guys, enemies have lifesteal, no health recovery, and the last wave has loving fajar. I think I can get all these achievements but it's gonna be a struggle lmao

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Xaris posted:

waluigi is a trot

He is

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

World War Mammories posted:

god I just spent like an hour getting a single stamp in the one of the first dragon arenas: master difficulty, six waves of guys, enemies have lifesteal, no health recovery, and the last wave has loving fajar. I think I can get all these achievements but it's gonna be a struggle lmao

did you already do the crazy matrix poo poo and other mutators

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

not yet just been doing the new arenas

wait poo poo did they add new level challenges too, I completed all of those before this patch and I would be crazy enough to do more

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

lol somebody fixed all the hdd issues on starfield by making a mod that just enables the disk cache :rolleyes:

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
There’s good threads in games, like the eu4 thread or the SaGa thread.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp

Bro Dad posted:

lol somebody fixed all the hdd issues on starfield by making a mod that just enables the disk cache :rolleyes:

it absolutely does not fix all the hdd issues. also a few other games use FILE_FLAG_NO_BUFFERING. not really sure why. also not sure if it's actually used on every CreateFile() or just some or what. i dont doubt that it's a fuckup but also i think the i/o problems would be a lot worse in all cases if nothing that flag was being used every time and there wasn't some other buffering being done

i mean i wouldnt be surprised if the few games that do that are just loving up, but i also wouldnt be surprsied if that modder saw a some instances of that flag which were done purposefully for some reason. the fact that the mod doesn't improve performance for people with ssds (or some with hdds??) and there's no benchmark or anything with it... just not really gonna buy that.

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Cuttlefush posted:

usually an insane person with a dream. or a few. i think TES3MP (morrowind multiplayer) you can just go poke around the source https://github.com/TES3MP/TES3MP. but uh, usually they just... make a whole rear end networking thing and frankenstein it into the game (or in this case the recreation whatever blah blah)

usually magic i guess. kinda crazy to ve rimworld and morrowind and some other poo poo with multiplayer. truly the future

if ksp 1 mp mod worked well and had a way to support time warping, or just loads of player craft so you could launch tons of stuff and always have something rendevouzing or reentering it'd be so sick....

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
there's mods that make it a pretty much full 1:1 1951 -> modern redstone->NASA/USSR space program

full scale solar system, full newtonian n-body physics, procedurally built wings/modules, fully redesigned aerodynamics that model hypersonic flight accurately

your astronauts actually age out or can be forced to retire from radiation exposure, you have to develop prototypes and tooling for parts and test them in a simulator inside of the game that's all wireframe KSP, when you set up communication networks you have to use the correct frequency ranges for your distance, have to preprogram unmanned stuff to deploy and activate and maneuver, because communications have accurate latency so unless you have an astronaut nearby you have to account for 23 minutes of delay or whatever while arranging something entering orbit or landing, it's fuckin nuts

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
yep. i did the real solar system big kerbal mod after playing vanilla. it's loving hard to get off accurate earth. owned though. had to play on linux because the windows version was limited to 4gb of ram? something like that

how's uh... how's kerbal 2 looking

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022

Cuttlefush posted:

yep. i did the real solar system big kerbal mod after playing vanilla. it's loving hard to get off accurate earth. owned though. had to play on linux because the windows version was limited to 4gb of ram? something like that

how's uh... how's kerbal 2 looking
lol I didn't buy it, i heard it's horrible, from people who loved the first one and from people who'd never played it at all

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
https://vxtwitter.com/Dreamboum/status/1703591765645623523?s=20

This game is gonna rule so hard.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

having to manually eat food is stupid. your character should start automatically chowing down on some meat cubes while youre sprinting across the planet surface
actually, it should be a minigame, and if you fail hard enough you start choking to death

Lpzie posted:

yeah but she whiffs on the neon blend side quest when she wants you not to kill the ex-employee snitch whatever. so I tried to tell him to leave town. but he was giving all the signs of "leaving town" aka not leaving and being a pain in the rear end so I killed him as he was leaving the building, no witnesses, but andreja got hella mad and snitched, ended up with a 500k+ bounty
ex-employee snitch? you mean a whistleblower?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

A Buttery Pastry posted:

ex-employee snitch? you mean a whistleblower?

problem ?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Lpzie posted:

problem ?
yeah, it's a lot of weasel words to hide the fact that he's a space russian asset

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

not my universe, not my problem

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
It IS pretty cool just how many insane minutia of dialog and writing that most players probably won't see. Like just an example, I did the Red Mile (which is basically a rando dinky POI that barely matters except for a very tiny sliver of a big long quest chain) very early on in the game and then ended back there for the Freestar quest and I was able to go "heh, already beat i, piece of cake I can do it in my sleep now :smuggo:" and there were several NPCs (including a few one-offs) were like "oh wow poo poo that's impressive, well no one beats it a second time! beat it again and I'll hook you up"

There's also a ton of other ones where I already beat or did some poo poo that I was going to have to do later and there was writing to accomodate. to say one good thing about the game that they did right: they didn't slack on writing and voice acting tons of poo poo.

when nerds start breaking into the data, i'd love to see visual flow-charts for each npc's potential lines.

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:01 on Sep 18, 2023

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
i wonder if brogan ever shows up again

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Xaris posted:

It IS pretty cool just how many insane minutia of dialog and writing that most players probably won't see. Like just an example, I did the Red Mile (which is basically a rando dinky POI that barely matters except for a very tiny sliver of a big long quest chain) very early on in the game and then ended back there for the Freestar quest and I was able to go "heh, already beat i, piece of cake I can do it in my sleep now :smuggo:" and there were several NPCs (including a few one-offs) were like "oh wow poo poo that's impressive, well no one beats it a second time! beat it again and I'll hook you up"

There's also a ton of other ones where I already beat or did some poo poo that I was going to have to do later and there was writing to accomodate. to say one good thing about the game that they did right: they didn't slack on writing and voice acting tons of poo poo.

when nerds start breaking into the data, i'd love to see visual flow-charts for each npc's potential lines.
you could tell microsoft really, really wanted to have something that would at least eclipse sony's cachet of really expensive linear experiences (even if sony's getting desperate enough to confiscate the final fantasy series now)

i mean, it will, but not entirely for the reasons they intended.

also it really is a better game than totk by far, even if the quest complexity isn't quite at imsim levels simply because there's so many of them (though there are at least a couple obvious places where someone high up (probably from one of the soy non-xbox divisions at microsoft) demanded changes to certain quests, like the colony ship quest)

also the implications of the main quest are just a gigantic troll to the player character, even though to most players it's just "whee! more gameplay!" literally being drafted into the interdimensional skeleton war for an ending owns hard. that story cleaned up the extremely loving bad taste i had since finishing totk rather nicely. thank you bethesda for making a game 75% as good as morrowind.

hoping for quake 5 to be good in ways different from doom 4/eternal (though the music won't be quite as good, gently caress you marty stratton)

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

caelxii posted:

How much of the Bloodbourne itch does it scratch?

not really?

you have a limited Rally window, but you can also just use your weapon to block everything, it absorbs hits like a Tower Shield

granted it also uses your weapon hitbox (blocking with a Rapier is useless), but you can put a Zweihander in your weapon switch and just grind through tough monsters

the Gun fires with a long aim and fuse delay, but deals hundreds to thousands of damage

from the combat it's more Elden Ring, you even get super strong ghost allies you can summon for boss fights

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
roadwarden on sale for under :10bux: very cool illustrated text RPG adventure:

crepeface posted:

roadwarden owns. i think the way i described the world to my friend was something like "a fantastical world treated seriously where you are a witcher, except without the narrative black hole eye roll of being cool guy geralt"

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1155970/Roadwarden/

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

i like roadwarden but im struggling to parse 'negative black hole eye roll'
*o sorry narrative black hole. But im still confused

Fuligin has issued a correction as of 08:22 on Sep 18, 2023

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Fuligin posted:

I assume it means that you're just some guy who is probably not even literate but has some experience with surveying instead of mr super cool sex guy

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Fuligin posted:

geralt sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

crepeface posted: