Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

deep dish peat moss posted:

It's completely irredeemable, there's not one single aspect of it that is implemented well.

The ship designer is pretty good IMO. Decent design mid-point of having functional results, creative ability, generally looking good, and easy to use. It's spaceship lego.

Like half the reddit content is people making spaceships so I think that tracks as the best part of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Can you fly the ships you make?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

thinking to cop LOOM

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Bad Purchase posted:

thinking to cop LOOM

loom is one of the all-time greats

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't know what about the starfield spaceship builder attracts people because I'm not usually into building things in video games but I'll concede that it seems to be the part people are having the most fun with.

Mechanically shipbuilding has been done way better in tons of other games, like Cosmoteer:
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256898088/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1690655140

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Mechanically shipbuilding has been done way better in tons of other games, like Cosmoteer:
https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256898088/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1690655140

:eyepop:

Now THAT'S a dad game that I can get into.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Grey Cat posted:

I made a thing, here.
That png did not compress well.
E: Have a nicer one

nice

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

MrQwerty posted:

just use rewards points for free gamepass and play other games

I’m saving them up for a REALLY big Amazon gift card, on the off chance they ever become like the old timey Sears Catalogue and I can buy a house on there.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix
All of the most interesting things in this setting already happened. I would love to fight mechs and xenowarfare experiments instead of five thousand guys in space suits. Wow you had a war that made entire worlds uninhabitable? That sounds loving cool I am so glad to be reading about that in this computer I spent five minutes unlocking with the minigame which represents the best gameplay in the entire experience.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Nucular Carmul posted:

I would love to fight mechs and xenowarfare experiments instead of five thousand guys in space suits.

yeah i wouldn't ever say that Skyrim had "good" combat but fighting the dragons and giants was a memorable experience. there are zero interesting fights in Starfield

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Nucular Carmul posted:

All of the most interesting things in this setting already happened. I would love to fight mechs and xenowarfare experiments instead of five thousand guys in space suits. Wow you had a war that made entire worlds uninhabitable? That sounds loving cool I am so glad to be reading about that in this computer I spent five minutes unlocking with the minigame which represents the best gameplay in the entire experience.

interstellar war? you sure you don’t want to do fetch quests for hick homesteaders instead?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's exactly one cool enemy in Starfield and it's called Swarm Mother, it's a giant praying mantis and you fight about 3 of them at one pre-marked point of interest called Abandoned Mining Platform.

But there are no pictures or videos of them online because it's one point of interest in a sea of tens of thousands that just have space pirate.

e: Actually here you go there was one video of them on Reddit

https://packaged-media.redd.it/gclk...9ba51b3966a#t=0

But no they don't do anything interesting they just run straight at you in melee like every other alien in the game.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there are a couple of big enemies, like terrormorphs, but they are just bullet sponges who can't hurt you because you're standing on a 3 ft high piece of scrap metal and they can't reach.

the final boss fight is kind of neat, except they way overdid it with the size of the battlefield(s) and number of times you get warped around. kinda lost its cool factor before it ended.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's incredibly telling that the final boss is just a guy in a space helmet and trenchcoat named "The Hunter" who is quite literally copy/pasted into several environments in a row so you just fight one boring Human enemy that behaves exactly like every other enemy in the game like 6 times back-to-back and then it's over.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

hey that's not totally fair, for me the boss was TWO guys in space helmets PLUS clones

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Titanfall 2 is $3 rn, $67 cheaper than Starfield

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

500 replies and the consensus is about as comparable to my firefly thread..

It sucks.

I'm surprised I havent seen any articles that mention how you can make the shio from firefly in the game.

Can't imagine why

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Knot My President! posted:

Titanfall 2 is $3 rn, $67 cheaper than Starfield

also one of the best FPS ever, and the MP is real fun plus they turned it back on fully for some reason

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

But no they don't do anything interesting they just run straight at you in melee like every other alien in the game.

Look at this thrilling combat, where you fire a shotgun at a monster sitting halfway off a ledge, and it tumbles screeching to its death entirely fails to react in any way

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
lol that people paid like an extra $40 or something to play this a few days earlier. I played it for an hour on gamepass (resubbed) before going back to finish my persona 5 run, so I can at least thank bethesda for getting me to finish persona 5

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Not sure. Game doesn't let me bind my side mouse buttons for some reason. gently caress that game, hail gamepass

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
People who line up to play a game the second it's released and schedule everything around it are always weird and sad, regardless of whether the game is good or bad

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

playing a game at release at the same time as your friends and talking about it before everything is known and solved is fun. you can’t recapture that if you wait a year.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I'm talking about literally freaking out because your download won't be finished until five minutes after the official release time. Something that happened in the Starfield thread more than once.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

it's funny how one of the big "look how much Bethesda advanced the engine!" delusions is that you can spawn a few hundred objects and have the physics interact without the game crashing or lagging severely.

that's their big advance since oblivion. you can spawn 200 things and the game won't lag to 1fps
also: computers got 20x faster
hmm

Rock Puncher
Jul 26, 2014
Well at least the game doesn't poo poo it's pants because the monitor updates too much, though they might have fixed that in fallout 4

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Rock Puncher posted:

Well at least the game doesn't poo poo it's pants because the monitor updates too much, though they might have fixed that in fallout 4

No, they had to fix it for 76 though because it was exploitable. Which is goddamn hilarious and the most Beth thing ever.

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

500 replies and the consensus is about as comparable to my firefly thread..

It sucks.

I'm surprised I havent seen any articles that mention how you can make the shio from firefly in the game.

Can't imagine why

Sometimes I wonder if we would see better writing and world building in non Star Wars "space" games if Firefly had never existed. Or would some other boring, tedious, pop-culture garbage fodder show created by an rear end in a top hat or sexpest (or both) have ended up being worshipped in its stead.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Monstaland posted:

Not sure. Game doesn't let me bind my side mouse buttons for some reason. gently caress that game, hail gamepass

I've noticed this in other games too, what's up with that? Shouldn't any game treat the side mouse buttons as any other keybind? Often the side mouse button registers on the keybind menu but then doesn't function in the game.

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I like how every American reviewer on metacritic gave it 92 or higher. The actual users are either review bombing or giving it a much more honest t0-70.

I completely missed the ship builder for half the time I played it, because you need to speak with some starship tech guy who is just some NPC, then select a dialogue option to get it.

Powerful Fallout 3 menu energy.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

MrQwerty posted:

also one of the best FPS ever, and the MP is real fun plus they turned it back on fully for some reason

Not only did they turn MP back on but they added new content and fixed a ton of broken poo poo. Also yeah the campaign is a loving blast.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Since everyone is praising titanfall 2 I might check it out for $3
I'll be honest I thought the first one really sucked.
Hated the gunplay
Hated the maps
And it was so full of cheaters on PC.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I like how every American reviewer on metacritic gave it 92 or higher. The actual users are either review bombing or giving it a much more honest t0-70.

I completely missed the ship builder for half the time I played it, because you need to speak with some starship tech guy who is just some NPC, then select a dialogue option to get it.

Powerful Fallout 3 menu energy.

starfield is an american manager feed bottle, i suspect should you be helped at a homes depot, it will be by a starfie

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

A Strange Aeon posted:

I've noticed this in other games too, what's up with that? Shouldn't any game treat the side mouse buttons as any other keybind? Often the side mouse button registers on the keybind menu but then doesn't function in the game.

Starfield seems to have some hidden default mouse bindings -- holding mouse back allows you to freelook.

Though if it happens with lots of games, probably your mouse / mouse software.

Nucular Carmul
Jan 26, 2005

Melongenidae incantatrix

Bad Purchase posted:

there are a couple of big enemies, like terrormorphs, but they are just bullet sponges who can't hurt you because you're standing on a 3 ft high piece of scrap metal and they can't reach.

the final boss fight is kind of neat, except they way overdid it with the size of the battlefield(s) and number of times you get warped around. kinda lost its cool factor before it ended.

Oh yeah this was a big snorefest after like the fifth jump it's like that part and Entangled quest for the cool parts of the main story, and that's it. And 50% of that drags on for too long lol

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the end of the crimson pirate storyline was such a let down. i had been enjoying the story and setpieces up until then. and then at the end the game forces you to choose between the cops or the robbers lmao. why cant i gently caress them both? keep it for myself? im a neon city space rat and a scoundrel or w/e. i dont give af about anyone but myslef. also i was working for the japanese implant company on neon, why cant i give them a big cash infusion if i want? give a grip of cash t othe neon mayor? give it to the freestar collective? i dunno its just super lame the way i was railroaded.

i sided with the pirates to gently caress over ikande. i went through the atrociously bad space battle where i had to turn on god mode to survive, boarded the ship and killed my way to ikande, then when he asked me why i did it my only choices were "for money" or "i dunno, cause it was fun" lmfao. so stupid. my real reason was that i resented ikande for forcing me to participate in his little espionage game. but i couldn't tell him to go gently caress himself. just insanely bad writing and a big wet fart at the end

the pirates gave me 250k as my cut of the job but i dunno what to spend it on. bigass ship? i can't, because i need like 10-15 more levels to unlock cool poo poo lol.

think im done with this game

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

There's exactly one cool enemy in Starfield and it's called Swarm Mother, it's a giant praying mantis and you fight about 3 of them at one pre-marked point of interest called Abandoned Mining Platform.

But there are no pictures or videos of them online because it's one point of interest in a sea of tens of thousands that just have space pirate.

https://packaged-media.redd.it/gclk...9ba51b3966a#t=0

lmao christ those guns seem weak

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

The enemies don't even stagger at all, they don't even twitch when they're shot.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

downloads titanfall 2

Oh cool, it looks better graphically than starfield and doesn't run like piss on my 1070.
When was this made? 2016? Lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Caesar Saladin posted:

The enemies don't even stagger at all, they don't even twitch when they're shot.

Lol, Quake 2 from 1997 has that feature.