Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tornhelm posted:

Fairly sure none of the Pixel Remasters have ever been on sale. The closest thing we've ever gotten to a discount was on the 3d remakes.

The Pixel Remasters have been on sale once or twice. I'm not 100% sure if they were on sale on the Steam store, but Green Man Gaming had them for around 20% off if I remember correctly.

I spent about an hour or so playing Fading Afternoon. It's like a River City Ransom game with adults and murder. Or a 2D Yakuza game, though the main character doesn't seem to be a criminal with a heart of gold like Kiryu or Ichiban. It's good so far. And it might have the best soundtrack in a video game I've heard in years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Detective No. 27 posted:

The Pixel Remasters have been on sale once or twice. I'm not 100% sure if they were on sale on the Steam store, but Green Man Gaming had them for around 20% off if I remember correctly.

True for the first game at least; Steam, Humble and GMG all have had a couple of 20% sales.

e. isthereanydeal seems to break a bit, because old and new FF6 etc. have the same name, but based on steamdb that too has had 20% sales.

Kennel fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Sep 17, 2023

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Last week Kragger99 had several Steam keys to gift away in the PGS thread and I asked for Townsmen - A Kingdom Rebuilt noting that I wanted to find out if it was more like old Settlers games or if it was generic mobile game #4738. And the answer to that is: yes.

The mobile roots are visible from the save icon when it pops up, since that's a silhouette of a microSD card. And doing quests in a scenario gives you "prestige" points, which you can use to finish a building under construction instantly. Its presence just screams "premium currency" that could be topped up with a credit card (but not in the PC release).

But I also quickly noticed the city-building strategy roots from The Settlers which revolve around building your supply chain. So the farmer can harvest grain, the grain goes to the mill, the mill creates wheat which goes to the bakery which adds water to create breads for the hungry miner. Very familiar, however, it's all a bit more complicated. For example: you're not just feeding the miners, your whole population has a food upkeep. You also don't have a steady supply of citizens just waiting to chip in, you actually have to build homes for them first. And besides the people in professions you also need to keep folks who carry supplies from storage place(s) in mind.

Everything also costs money, instead of having an economy that is solely dependent on your supplies. Your citizens pay taxes which will provide most of the funds, which is also tied into a happiness/needs system which reminded me of a Tropico game. It seems mainly influenced by how much tax you are making them pay, but it just further adds to the complications. For a while I assumed I would be spending most of the tax funds on maintenance, since the buildings also need to be repaired after a certain amount of use. But then I luckily I got to the tutorial where they introduced the carpenter who could do the repairs with supplies from the storage rooms.

There seem to be no enemy civilizations for which you compete and fight for the land, but you do end up building barracks to deal with armed bandits who want to pillage and burn your buildings. You'll need several guard towers to extend the barrack's coverage across your territory. And in case the bandits do manage to set a building ablaze you want some more watch towers to locate and extinguish them. It's just a lot of busywork, some of which is strictly handled by menus. It feels like they wanted to keep the areas you are in small (because: mobile game) and just kept increasing the things you need to do.

The game has a DLC component, which is kind of hard to ignore since the DLC buildings are just stuck in between the regular ones in the buildings menu, giving you a constant reminder if you don't own it. They're not hidden from view. It's even worse if you get to the decorations section since you are not told what the cost is and if it is part of the DLC, not until you've selected it and are looking at the blueprint for something you cannot build.

I miss the sense of a every citizen working as a community, of them building towards a common goal. I guess I just really wanted that idealistic communism in the early Settlers games!

(thanks again to comrade Kragger99 for the key)

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 17, 2023

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Mierenneuker posted:

Last week Kragger99 had several Steam keys to gift away in the PGS thread and I asked for Townsmen - A Kingdom Rebuilt noting that I wanted to find out if it was more like old Settlers games or if it was generic mobile game #4738. And the answer to that is: yes.

(thanks again to comrade Kragger99 for the key)

Awesome, thanks for the game write up! Too bad it didn't quite scratch the itch you had.

Kragger99 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 17, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So today, while screwing around while downloading a large game, I finally installed and played Lux Delux.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/341950/Lux_Delux/

My partner was all "wait why are you playing Risk?" and the answer is, this steam review:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/c0005/recommended/341950/

quote:

The real magic of Lux Delux is the absolutely staggering amount of content for it. That bit on the Steam page that says "over 900" maps actually undersells it because there's actually over 1000 and so far most of what I've played has been pretty good. There's a plugin menu that lets you sort and manage the different maps, I don't think they're all installed at the start since it seemed to initially go through a rotation of official ones, but you better believe I opened it up and and installed all of them (coincidentally I think I may have accidentally DDOsD's Sillysoft by doing this, their site seemed to go down shortly after... sorry guys!). The plugin manager is very well organized too, you can sort by name, author, date, and even the ratings people gave to a map.

Trying different maps and seeing the way people push RISK mechanics to their absolute limit has been a joy. Some of the maps have a highly polished sheen, others are experimental and don't even look like Risk, other are just a crusty JPEG but that doesn't play well at all and the span of two decade's worth of content is honestly just fascinating from a social standpoint so even the lesser maps are interesting. If somebody said "Hey, we made RISK but you can mod it" nowadays in 2023, I doubt there would have been a ton of content makers flocking to it, aside from perhaps people making their own versions of the game on Tabletop Simulator, but circa 2002, I could totally see a huge community forming, and making content for it. The latest map in the plugin manager seems dated to 2015 and Sillysoft's forums seem to be down (even before I may have accidentally DDOS'd their site by downloading all the addons. Sorry guys!), so even being a somewhat recent steam release you get the feeling that you're exploring an an abandoned internet community. It's like playing a real-life Risk-themed version of Hypnospace Outlaw where every map says a little something about the interests of the people who made it. One map that particularly fascinated me was this big treehouse map which on one hand was cool because it felt like you were playing a room-to-room squad based tactics game, but also because every room and territory was some weird injoke and it was frankly way overdesigned and too granular to really flow well as a Risk map.

The plugin manager also has info about the maps from the people who made them, and even links to their personal websites, many of which don't even exist anymore, but you can possibly find on the wayback machine. Some infoboxes have shoutouts to other Lux mappers, who they may have collaborated with or built upon the work of, there's a series of one risk map that got 4 or 5 different versions all tweaked and improved by different people. Sometimes there are little stories, historical information, or just the author writing what inspired them. It's an incredible look into a community that doesn't seem to really be around anymore yet produced a massive amount of work and I really hope the plugin servers stay up so we never lose it. Even just browsing and reading the listings in the manager is deeply interesting, and you can see the game and it's community evolve from the second shareware revolution of the Web 1.0 days, to something to something that became pretty polished and worked it's way into the early days of mobile phone games and survived into modern times, yet seems to have ultimately waned.

But beyond the sociological archaeology of digging through old mods, it's also just a darn good implementation of Risk. The presentation is minimalistic, you don't even see the dice rolls, but it's fast and to the point and still fun to look at. I had a Risk game on the PS2 where the characters would constantly talk and make fun of you and it was just tiresome, so I like the directness of it. The AI is also legitimately brilliant. I've had games where I've lost in like two moves and sometimes you just have to sit back and go "wait, where did that come from?". I feel like I'm actively getting better at Risk because it's really forcing me to consider all the different strategic aspects of the game. There's one map designed to look like a 200 Meter Olympic swimming pool and the whole thing is just a grid of lanes, and I thought it would be awful but it actually proved to be a brain-wracking math puzzle that I loved and I think the more conceptual maps do a great job really getting you to think about the game and it's mechanics.

And frankly I'm going to play anything that can be described as Hypnospace Outlaw

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Saoshyant posted:

Not that many will care, but heads up that Crystal Dynamics' Marvel Avengers game will be delisted at the end of this month and they have a 90% sale of the final build (where they removed all microtransactions and live service bullshit and packaged all the existing DLC into the main game). It's not what you'd call a great game, but it appears they got it to a good enough level with a decent story to go along with it, and for the price you may want to check it out.

lmao i went to buy it and i already own it

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

Saoshyant posted:

Not that many will care, but heads up that Crystal Dynamics' Marvel Avengers game will be delisted at the end of this month and they have a 90% sale of the final build (where they removed all microtransactions and live service bullshit and packaged all the existing DLC into the main game). It's not what you'd call a great game, but it appears they got it to a good enough level with a decent story to go along with it, and for the price you may want to check it out.

wtf, why are they delisting it? its not like anyone would care if they never updated it again

Veotax
May 16, 2006

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

wtf, why are they delisting it? its not like anyone would care if they never updated it again

License rights have probably run out, if that's the case they can't sell it anymore without signing a new deal with Disney.

Seems pretty early for that, but it's the only reason I can think of.

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Is online multiplayer peer to peer/gonna keep working after it's shut down?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Resdfru posted:

Is online multiplayer peer to peer/gonna keep working after it's shut down?

Seems like it will be. From their announcement on Steam:

quote:

To be specific on what is and isn’t changing on Sept. 30, 2023:
* All currently available content will continue to be available as-is for solo and multiplayer play after Sept. 30, 2023.
* If you own the game, it will remain in your game library for download and reinstallation after Sept. 30, 2023.
* Limited-Time Events like the Red Room Takeover will continue to run after Sept. 30, 2023. These events will run in a two-week rotation. Reoccurring mission chains, events, and rewards will continue to refresh on the cadences they always have.
* Customer support will no longer be available after Sept. 30, 2023.
* All Operations and the War for Wakanda Expansion will continue to be playable as they are now.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
Respawn stealth fixed TF|2 multiplayer.
18k online players 10 minutes ago.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Veotax posted:

License rights have probably run out, if that's the case they can't sell it anymore without signing a new deal with Disney.

Seems pretty early for that, but it's the only reason I can think of.

this is just so hosed

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

If that's what it is, they probably didn't want to spend more for a longer lasting license in case it didn't take off like they wanted it to

The Gripper
Sep 14, 2004
i am winner

disposablewords posted:

Seems like it will be. From their announcement on Steam:
There's some legalese in there with them saying multiplayer will be available as-is. It's peer-to-peer at least, but as-is signals that if it stops working you're OK with it, and I don't know if there's any non-P2P matchmaking/lobby service they could switch off in the future.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I believe they explicitly said in the past that they’ll keep the back end going as long as they can but they’re not going to fix it if it needs major fixes or something dies. So an indeterminate but eventually guaranteed inability to play the game.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
cutting off the postgame would be a mercy for anyone still playing it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i play musou games a lot but never really touched pirate warriors despite seeing it talked up all the time. is there any reason to bother with entries earlier than the latest one?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

i play musou games a lot but never really touched pirate warriors despite seeing it talked up all the time. is there any reason to bother with entries earlier than the latest one?

Unless you care about the story, not really. PW4 is just the "last" (most recent) 6 arcs of One Piece so if you skip to 4 you're jumping in way past the point of character introductions or whatever.

Having played OPPW4 recently I'd say it's kinda... ehhh. I like Musou games but this one has all of the problems that Musou games have when they try to follow an established IP's narrative; you have a very limited pool of characters available to you when you do the story mode (which you have to do to unlock stages/characters), and environments are repeated so often that there are several points where you'll do 4+ consecutive missions in a row that all use the same map. The combat felt pretty one-dimensional even by musou standards, most of the characters didn't feel great, there are no weapon/item/mount drops. It does have some cool/novel ideas though like giant characters. I played story mode through to the end but by the time I was done I didn't have any drive to go back and play free mode or treasure mode.

I'd rank it as worse than the Fire Emblem musou game, better than the Gundam one.

The licensed Musou games should all just follow the Warriors Orochi model of character overload + alternate universe plot where everyone works together :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 18, 2023

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Oxxidation posted:

pirate warriors 3 has better side content than pirate warriors 4 but (imo) has worse combat and a really, really bad PC port.

i'd recommend grabbing 4 though, it's very fun, especially the three new characters they just added. it always helps if you're already an existing fan of the IP obviously but i have a few friends that dont know poo poo about one piece that enjoyed the pirate warriors games.

the new DLC does seem to be rectifying the problem with the side content though, it added a pretty fun new game mode and it seems like there's two more coming, one with each wave.

the deluxe edition that includes the first half of the DLC goes on sale for like $12 fairly regularly

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Sep 18, 2023

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Oxxidation posted:

Even with the bad PC port I'd still recommend 3 over 4. I think it has better combat and MUCH better side content than 4, as well as (I think?) more characters. Plus it has this theme in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3MQ-ruCrlA

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Even with the bad PC port I'd still recommend 3 over 4. I think it has better combat and MUCH better side content than 4, as well as (I think?) more characters. Plus it has this theme in it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3MQ-ruCrlA

Fwiw the Netflix one piece show is fantastic and I’ve never played a game or see the anime or whatever.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
The PW3 port is technically fine, the only issue is the version it was based on was the PS3 version instead of the PS4 version so it's just sadly not as good as it could be.

Crosspost from an old OP thread:

Ryaomon posted:

Both are good for different reasons imo.

PW3:
Engine is more refined as it's on the same one as 1 and 2
Plays through every story arc up to Dressorsa
Ostensibly cheaper
Only DLC are costumes and some missions so you can feel free to just get the base game.

PW4:
New engine which means it's way more rough around the edges but when it feels good it feels really good
Some arcs are cut but it goes all the way up to Wano
Characters are to scale with eachother so playing as someone like Katakuri or Whitebeard feels really unique and powerful
9 additional characters are DLC

Both have alternate endings of the arcs that were being written as the game was coming out (dressrosa/wano) so you don't get teased with a cliffhanger ending, which is neat.

Personally if you're strapped for cash or don't want to invest too much you can stick with 3 but 4's engine and level up system is really neat and shows promise for future entries.

Only difference nowadays is there's more DLC coming for 4.

Infinity Gaia posted:

Also yeah I might have to give the soundtrack to 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yg219eAD8QQ

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Infinity Gaia posted:

(I think?) more characters.

nah, with the new DLC characters, 4 will have just under double the roster of 3

Ryaomon posted:

The PW3 port is technically fine

last time i played PW3, the game didn't have controller support and the last story mission would consistently crash for me, would not call that "fine" tbh (and many steam reviews complain about this crash too, its not my computer)

ShadowMar fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 18, 2023

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

One piece deserves better

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

eh? when i played PW3 it had controller support and that was in 2016

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

ShadowMar posted:

last time i played PW3, the game didn't have controller support and the last story mission would consistently crash for me, would not call that "fine" tbh (and many steam reviews complain about this crash too, its not my computer)

Hate to be a "idk works fine for me" guy but I never experienced either issue, controller worked just fine too, maybe I just got lucky. Only bug I remember getting was somehow hooking the camera on a ramp so it stopped moving and stayed static but my character was still able to move freely, and while a little annoying it was also really funny seeing my character go back and forth offscreen like hummingbird Apu.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

ShadowMar posted:

nah, with the new DLC characters, 4 will have just under double the roster of 3

Huh? It had controller support for me (although it didn't have proper button icons without a mod, lol). Also I just checked the wikis and counted, while 4 does have more characters than 3 with the DLC, it's not double, it's 10 more. 3 had 46, 4 has 56. Charitably 58 if you include Boundman and Snakeman. Because a handful of characters got cut between games too, including pre-timeskip versions of a couple of the Strawhats. And the pre-TS versions ARE different enough to be their own characters. Movesets are also a lot more simplified in PW4, the best part about PW3 was always the fact that it had two full combo trees per character, so there's less depth per character.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Speaking of delisted games this isn’t on steam but:

"hey y’all don’t forget to migrate your mojang account if you haven’t cause if you don’t Microsoft is gonna revoke ownership of your Minecraft copy for literally no loving reason except to try to trap you into buying it again!

CUTOFF IS IN THREE DAYS (9/19/23).

Even if you don’t play anymore, don’t let these fools rob you."

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Transformers: Devastation got de-listed at some point and that one is actually a great loving game.

https://youtu.be/U9v41R2jr9E

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 18, 2023

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah, I'll second that, I had way more fun with 3 than 4. It helps that they made the first three games back to back, three years in a row. The iteration really makes it feel more polished compared to 4, which was like five years later.

It does have a weird quirk where like... they will not tell you what buttons to use. They only use icons that correspond to actions, so you have to keep checking the menu or just guess and figure it out. A little annoying, but once you get into the game it's not a big deal.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Speaking of delisted games this isn’t on steam but:

"hey y’all don’t forget to migrate your mojang account if you haven’t cause if you don’t Microsoft is gonna revoke ownership of your Minecraft copy for literally no loving reason except to try to trap you into buying it again!

CUTOFF IS IN THREE DAYS (9/19/23).

Even if you don’t play anymore, don’t let these fools rob you."

drat, thanks for this, i only get the urge to play modded minecraft every few years, I had no idea.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Playing Void Stranger. What the gently caress is going on?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Whats the easiest, quickest way to get a good modded version of Knights of the Old Republic 1? Everywhere I look its just massive modlists that you have to sift through manually.

edit: Actually almost all of these mods are visual and the comparison shots seem almost identical to me so I am going to go with the Community Patch and nothing else. Maybe the Character overhaul if that bothers me at any point.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Sep 18, 2023

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
PCGamingWiki is IMO the best one-stop shop for figuring out what mods to consider for a "fixed vanilla" experience in most games. Obviously it's not perfect, but it's a great quick stop and I think it's one of the best wikis around.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Ragequit posted:

Playing Void Stranger. What the gently caress is going on?

swap tiles

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I'm not in the right headspace right now to deal with the tedium of repeatedly playing 200+ sokoban puzzles, but I'm a sucker for the meta level puzzles that void stranger dishes out. Can anyone recommend a lets play or a youtuber that talks through it? I watched/skipped through some 12 hours worth of vods on twitch of a streamer named chongo, but I'm all caught up while he hasn't been streaming for 2 days and I want more.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Unity now wants 4% of the revenue past $1,000,000 (Unreal Engine takes 5%) and it's not retroactive.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-09-18/unity-overhauls-controversial-price-hike-after-game-developers-revolt

also lol:

quote:

“I don’t think there’s any version of this that would have gone down a whole lot differently than what happened,” Riccitiello said.

Maybe not trying to revoke an irrevocable license would have been a start?

e: seems like there's a paywall, here's the full text:

quote:

Video-game tool maker Unity Software Inc. said Monday it’s backtracking on major aspects of a controversial new price hike, telling staff in an all-hands meeting that it’s now considering changes including a cap on potential fees.

Unity, which operates and licenses a suite of video-game development tools called the Unity Engine, set off a firestorm last week when it announced plans to charge customers for every new installation of their game after a certain threshold. The decision triggered widespread protests, leading several video-game makers to say they would boycott Unity until the policy is changed.

Under the tentative new plan, Unity will limit fees to 4% of a game’s revenue for customers making over $1 million and said that installations counted toward reaching the threshold won’t be retroactive, according to recording of the meeting reviewed by Bloomberg. Last week, Chief Executive Officer John Riccitiello delayed an all-hands meeting on the pricing changes and closed two offices after the company received what it said was a credible death threat.

The company apologized to customers on Sunday and said it would be making changes to the pricing policy.

We have heard you. We apologize for the confusion and angst the runtime fee policy we announced on Tuesday caused. We are listening, talking to our team members, community, customers, and partners, and will be making changes to the policy. We will share an update in a couple of…
— Unity (@unity) September 17, 2023

Marc Whitten, a Unity executive, said the company hasn’t yet announced the latest changes because executives are still running them by partners and don’t want to repeat last week’s communications debacle, which led to several clarifications.

One of the most controversial elements of the policy concerned how Unity would track installations of its software. Although the company first said it would use proprietary tools, Whitten said Monday management will rely on users to self-report the data.

In the meeting, Riccitiello emphasized that the new policy is designed to generate more revenue from the company's biggest customers and that more than 90% of Unity users won’t be affected. Several employees asked during the meeting how Unity would bounce back from what appeared to be a breach of trust. Executives said the company will have to “show, not tell” and handle future communications more carefully.

“I don’t think there’s any version of this that would have gone down a whole lot differently than what happened,” Riccitiello said. “It is a massively transformational change to our business model.”

But, he acknowledged, “I think we could have done a lot of things a lot better.”

Tamba fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 18, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Tamba posted:

Unity now wants 4% of the revenue past $1,000,000 (Unreal Engine takes 5%) and it's not retroactive.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-09-18/unity-overhauls-controversial-price-hike-after-game-developers-revolt

also lol:

Paywalled for me, do they go into any real details?

strategery
Apr 21, 2004
I come to you baring a gift. Its in my diper and its not a toaster.

Tamba posted:

also lol:

Well thats better, but yeah - it isnt the change that was the worst part, it was the communication and shady rear end deletion of github files. No amount of backpedaling is gonna change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Stupidly that’s not even like a 4% revshare, the dumb installation thing is still there (and you have to do the work of reporting it!) it’s now just capped. It’s so dumb. If you want X% of revenue past Y dollars earned just say it, people would probably be willing to work with that. Or would’ve, anyway. Too late now.