Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
It's honestly really neat how good the sound design for the series has been from the very beginning.
P1 -really- impressed me when it first came out just due to the way it dealt with atmosphere and sound in the dungeons and environments, though it is admittedly very much of the era it takes place in. It's a shame the PSP remake so thoroughly hosed that up with a soundtrack that on its own is not bad by any means, but misses the mark along with a completely subtracted soundscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Saagonsa posted:

The Genesis sucks so much

The Almighty being a far superior boss theme just further solidifies how meh Izanami is for me.

Getting to this part in my last run was an amazing experience because the fight was actually a bit more challenging at a low level
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4DKTAKE03g&t=195s

A bos theme always hits harder for me when the boss is a challenge.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Going from Ark, the showdown with the traitor, and then Rivers in the Desert to whatever Yaldy's theme is called is just :nallears: And both Shido and Yaldy are boring Saturday morning cartoon villains. Then the entire theme of the story gets shat on and there's an incoherent dumping of whatever the hell that was going on with Mona because hey we already paid for the cutscene.

To say P5 fails to stick the landing is an understatement.

Unpopular as this opinion might be I don't think P5R's extra content really improves on it that much either, to the point where I feel like I prefer the vibe of the original. Compare the system menu of the dark underground PTs to the system menu of famous celebrity PTs. The extra filler is just dull, the additional content doesn't really do anything that fits the game's theme, and the new antagonist is like, just some guy who more or less comes out of nowhere in the postgame content even though you met him a few times in the expanded main story line. Yeah he doesn't really want to fight you, but so what. It's the same thing as Yaldy minus the giant dinosaur skeletons and rain of blood, everybody who don't want to play ball killed by mind-wiping so that a guy who really needs therapy can play with his planetary-scale doll house. The narrative literally beats you over the head with the fact that this is his plan because he straight up says that he killed his girlfriend when he mindwipes her, it's not in any way an interesting ethical dilemma or thought experiment.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

Going from Ark, the showdown with the traitor, and then Rivers in the Desert to whatever Yaldy's theme is called is just :nallears: And both Shido and Yaldy are boring Saturday morning cartoon villains. Then the entire theme of the story gets shat on and there's an incoherent dumping of whatever the hell that was going on with Mona because hey we already paid for the cutscene.

Unpopular as this opinion might be I don't think P5R's extra content really improves on it that much either, to the point where I feel like I prefer the vibe of the original. Compare the system menu of the dark underground PTs to the system menu of famous celebrity PTs. The extra filler is just dull, the additional content doesn't really do anything that fits the game's theme, and the new antagonist is like, just some guy who more or less comes out of nowhere in the postgame content even though you met him a few times in the expanded main story line. Yeah he doesn't really want to fight you, but so what. It's the same thing as Yaldy minus the giant dinosaur skeletons and rain of blood, everybody who don't want to play ball killed by mind-wiping so that a guy who really needs therapy can play with his planetary-scale doll house. The narrative literally beats you over the head with the fact that this is his plan because he straight up says that he killed his girlfriend when he mindwipes her, it's not in any way an interesting ethical dilemma or thought experiment.

Uh... killed is an interesting interpretation because his whole schtick was that he is rewriting memories to surgically remove trauma. His girlfriend doesn't remember him because in order to excise her trauma, her memory of him ALSO had to be removed. So his whole goal is completing Yaldabaoth's plan but with him as a hidden god ensuring no one ever experiences pain again by constantly managing human memory and perception. He never killed anyone, unless you're interpreting literally the story's thesis that to have your memories altered in such a way is, for all intents and purposes, death.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Sapozhnik posted:

It's -kinda- funny to me that P5R's extra content has a similar conceptual dilemma to The Caligula Effect series with regards to someone creating an ideal world that satisfies the desires of people within it, and the few people who are willing to shatter that to face reality.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Warmachine posted:

Uh... killed is an interesting interpretation because his whole schtick was that he is rewriting memories to surgically remove trauma. His girlfriend doesn't remember him because in order to excise her trauma, her memory of him ALSO had to be removed. So his whole goal is completing Yaldabaoth's plan but with him as a hidden god ensuring no one ever experiences pain again by constantly managing human memory and perception. He never killed anyone, unless you're interpreting literally the story's thesis that to have your memories altered in such a way is, for all intents and purposes, death.

That's what he's telling himself that he's doing, sure, but you also have that section in his palace where people who have "incorrect" personalities according to his standards get mind-wiped. Deleting memories is a grey area, but rewiring a person's desires and motivations is fairly unambiguously equivalent to killing them. Our hypothetical god-like being is destroying an existing person's identity and creating a new mind with a new identity in their place. Akechi understands this and says straight up that he would rather die as himself than live as some reprogrammed meat puppet.

You can't create a utopia by just giving everybody what they want because peoples' desires often directly conflict with each other. Maruki's solution is to just brute force overwrite a bunch of people's brains until everybody's desires are consistent with each other, which is to say commit a historically unprecedented act of mass murder. Perhaps I'm missing something here?

It is, in a sense, an extreme version of what the PTs are doing, but if we treat this as something akin to killing then the PTs do it as a few times as a last resort to save people who are in clear and present danger (or who something Extremely hosed Up like er, cheat at arcade games... but never mind), whereas Maruki is a totalitarian who swings his big hammer and wipes out everybody whose goals conflict with his ideas of social order.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I mentioned earlier today that I was replaying FES at the moment, and I was just reminded of just how completely worthless Hama and Mudo are. I cast Mudo 10 times in a row to try to insta-kill two enemies weak to it. It missed five times in a row before hitting the first one, then missed three times in a row before hitting the second one. Garbage skills.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Sapozhnik posted:

Unpopular as this opinion might be I don't think P5R's extra content really improves on it that much either, to the point where I feel like I prefer the vibe of the original.

Hard disagree. Or, to be more precise, broadly agree, but I think it's cool: Maruki is basically just Yaldabaoth with a fresh coat of paint, but that coat of paint is human and tragic, which makes him a cool villain instead of a boring one. Maruki means well but he is batshit insane and is trying to force his fear of therapy on the world, and it is up to a group of plucky, traumatized teenagers to bring him to his senses. Yeah it doesn't really fit the game's theme, but it nails its own mini-theme much better than the base game lands its themes. All of that is my poo poo, at least.

Warmachine posted:

No, the game is pretty explicit on that point: It only sort of implies it with Rumi and the general populace, but lays it out pretty clear with your party members. Sumire's story involves a literal ego death and it is presented as lovecraftian horror, and Akechi textually says that being made to live someone else's life is a fate worse than death.

E:

Sapozhnik posted:

It is, in a sense, an extreme version of what the PTs are doing, but if we treat this as something akin to killing then the PTs do it as a few times as a last resort to save people who are in clear and present danger (or who something Extremely hosed Up like er, cheat at arcade games... but never mind), whereas Maruki is a totalitarian who swings his big hammer and wipes out everybody whose goals conflict with his ideas of social order.

I think this is a point on which the game fumbles the ball, but the changes of heart are mechanically different than what any of the villains are doing. Not just the stuff about only acting to save someone else, sometimes from things as petty as cheating at video games, but on a metaphysical level. All their targets had a conscience at some point, which was gradually worn away by money or fame or bullying or gaslighting, and the only thing they actually do is restore said conscience. There is a broader philosphical conversation to be had about whether that is a thing that makes sense, but in the context of the setting, they're restoring people rather than altering them. It is materially different than the psychotic breakdowns or the actualization.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Sep 18, 2023

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
Being familiar with the founding myth does help you understand stuff about Persona 4, but I assume the game and characters are plenty enjoyable without that context as many people are quite fond of it. I do find familiarity with the myth useful for understanding how certain events translated into the game, and Nico Nico users renaming the Myriad Truths to Divorce Papers Served Stylishly will always be funny to me, but eh. More than the mythology, I think it would be more useful if English speaking players knew stuff like, "Teddie is saying [girls hitting on guys] whenever he says 'scoring' in English".

P4 villain stuff: I appreciate Adachi as a character. While the protagonist is made out to be an Izanagi who isn't a complete moron (maybe), Adachi feels more like the Izanagi of myth played straight - an absolutely desperate moron who finds out the truth about a woman and does not take it very well. As a human character, he seems to embody the insecurities of all of the Investigation Team, making him like their collective shadow - a caricature of a person who runs his mouth and says some truths and some non-truths. The most satisfying thing with him was choosing to work backwards from him sending the letter and realizing that what he says about himself being a "4d chessmaster who was playing a little game" is complete bullshit. This revelation doesn't really make his character "better" (it does make him seem more pathetic, though), but it helps the player piece together what was going on in the background while you were playing Scooby Doo. It's like the game is a comedy of errors and Adachi falling upwards until he suddenly spirals downwards. Golden expands on his character a bit, but I would say the seeds of what Golden did were present in the PS2 game as well. Really, just him admitting he has nowhere left to go and the use of the piano in his dungeon BGM helped his characterization.

With Izanami... Mmm yeah this is probably one of the things where familiarity with the founding myth would help. Cause if you're familiar with Izanagi, and you've picked up on some of the mythological cues from the game, then you would probably be expecting Izanami to show up somewhere. Her being the gas station attendant does feel random - maybe you were supposed to pick up on hints about the NPC appearing during certain weather? Idk. Her boss fight being optional feels anti-climatic. And yet also fitting with the game, I guess? You aren't fighting her because of some urgency or danger, you have to seek her out on the last day. You're picking a fight with a god before you go back home because you want to get to the bottom of things. She even calls you out on this - "The final-final battle wasn't good enough for you?" Like how Adachi is kind the Izanagi from the myth, Izanami seems to be a stand-in for the mythological Izanami, even down to the "thousand" curses. So the exploration of Izanami otherwise is picked up by Marie, and Marie's addition in Golden is how the protagonist can make up for Izanagi's mistake. I think the biggest disappointment about Izanami is how the trumpet part of The Genesis doesn't play when Izanagi serves the divorce papers.

Also, there's a better Persona song than The Almighty - the live version of The Almighty with the 1.5min piano lead up and the sax. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Arist posted:

I mentioned earlier today that I was replaying FES at the moment, and I was just reminded of just how completely worthless Hama and Mudo are. I cast Mudo 10 times in a row to try to insta-kill two enemies weak to it. It missed five times in a row before hitting the first one, then missed three times in a row before hitting the second one. Garbage skills.

Looks like it's a 30% hit rate in P3, so generally yeah odds are against it. Goes up to 40% in P4.

Meanwhile, Hamaon is 40% hit rate in P3 and 60% in P4.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Holy poo poo I can't believe P5 came out 7 years ago. Well fortunately we've had a lot of great Persona games come out since then, such as Persona 5 Royal, Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight, Persona 5 Strikers, Persona 5 Tactica, Persona 5: The Phantom X, ad Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth featuring Joker from Persona 5.

Arist posted:

Except when the enemy is the one using them on you.

"Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey...."

Neeksy posted:

It's honestly really neat how good the sound design for the series has been from the very beginning.
P1 -really- impressed me when it first came out just due to the way it dealt with atmosphere and sound in the dungeons and environments, though it is admittedly very much of the era it takes place in. It's a shame the PSP remake so thoroughly hosed that up with a soundtrack that on its own is not bad by any means, but misses the mark along with a completely subtracted soundscape.

:yeah:
Unironically some of my favorite music in the whole series is the generic ambient tracks from Persona 1 PS1.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Item Getter posted:

Holy poo poo I can't believe P5 came out 7 years ago. Well fortunately we've had a lot of great Persona games come out since then, such as Persona 5 Royal, Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight, Persona 5 Strikers, Persona 5 Tactica, Persona 5: The Phantom X, ad Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth featuring Joker from Persona 5.

Let's be fair, Persona 3: Dancing in Moonlight also came out.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Arist posted:

They at least confirmed the light/dark damage spells from after 3 are getting reversed implemented in Reload, so there's that :v:

miasmacloud
Oct 10, 2007

(u‿ฺu✿ฺ)
Ken and Koro might see more use. :woop:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sapozhnik posted:

That's what he's telling himself that he's doing, sure, but you also have that section in his palace where people who have "incorrect" personalities according to his standards get mind-wiped. Deleting memories is a grey area, but rewiring a person's desires and motivations is fairly unambiguously equivalent to killing them. Our hypothetical god-like being is destroying an existing person's identity and creating a new mind with a new identity in their place. Akechi understands this and says straight up that he would rather die as himself than live as some reprogrammed meat puppet.

You can't create a utopia by just giving everybody what they want because peoples' desires often directly conflict with each other. Maruki's solution is to just brute force overwrite a bunch of people's brains until everybody's desires are consistent with each other, which is to say commit a historically unprecedented act of mass murder. Perhaps I'm missing something here?

Your original post left me unsure since the way it was phrased made it seem like you were talking about literal cessation-of-bodily-function death rather than the allegorical death. A big part of the reason I like P5R's 3rd semester act is that this concept of our memories and experiences being the sum total of who we are is important to me IRL. My biggest fears include memory alteration through things like Alzheimer's disease, which to me would be akin to death except that someone else is now wearing my skin.

I think the game tries to make a distinction between the PTs going after shadows--a distorted reflection of the person's desires/obsession and unnatural at that, see Yaldy--and actually rewriting memories. I don't think it really lands though. At least not as well as I'd have liked. Where a shadow, a treasure, and a person end aren't particularly clearly defined. Killing a shadow can kill the person in real life, but talking to the shadow or just beating it up a bunch in a fight has no/minimal effect? With 'normal' people beating up the shadow is sufficient to provoke a change, but some people form Palaces and you have to take their treasure--beating them up is insufficient and arguable counterproductive. And all this is more or less enabled by the existence of the Grail/Yaldy, itself born by peoples' subconscious desire to be controlled?

All these rules and interactions, especially between shadows and the people they represent, make it difficult to draw a convincing distinction between the PT and Maruki that doesn't just devolve into "Mine's different/Nuh uh!" I think the game wants you to draw a parallel, but it only works because the rules are vague.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

miasmacloud posted:

Ken and Koro might see more use. :woop:

I think Ken was always fine, Yukari's a more optimized healer for sure but Ken has his merits - he learns Mediarama much earlier for instance, and Elec is a much more common weakness compared to Dark.

Koro though, always suffered from his stat spread. His Ag is great but everything else is aggressively mediocre. You would not use him as a damage dealer over Mitsuru or Yukari or even Akihiko. And his equipment is also not built for spellcasting. He can get the Eiha spells but outside of hitting a second damage type I don't think it actually improves his combat performance any, he'd be dealing the same amount of damage as his Agi spells outside of elemental affinities.

Of course I imagine they'll be doing a lot of balance and gameplay and moveset tweaks.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Endorph posted:

thats right, i have to face my true self: the same person i already was

The hard truth everyone needed to face was they could fit in better

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I've completed Persona 3 ten times and I don't think I've ever used Koro in my party ever. Not that he's bad, he's just a good boy and I don't want him to get hurt. Aki Ken and Aigis are the ideal party imo.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Neeksy posted:

When it gets to the orchestral refrain of the regular battle music, that P4 final boss track gets so drat good.

Both 8 bit and final remixes of Ill Face Myself are goated

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I used Koro in all 3 of my P3 runs and didn't have much trouble.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I've never used Ken because while teen soldiers are one thing, I apparently do have an age cutoff for when I am comfortable fielding kids.

Same with Mamori in TMS even though I can tell she is ridiculously good.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Playing P3P for the first time after trying to get through FES something like seven times over the past decade and it can't be overstated how much better the FeMC social links are. Hanging with Junpei and talking through his crisis of masculinity is so much better than egging on Kenji to gently caress a grown woman and helping Rio deal with her rejection is so much better than cheering on Kazushi's knee to explode.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

hello persona thread. after 5 or 6 years of waiting for it to come out on switch and then another half a year of waiting to actually boot it up, i finally played through persona 5 royal over the past month. it was my first time ever playing a persona game (though i've read/watched enough P4 LPs to know that story well). i don't know how i managed to not spoil myself fully until 2023 outside of some bits and pieces, but i'm glad i managed. i played through twice, committing to maxing all the social ranks on the NG+. took 144 hours over 20 days. i wrote up some confidant thoughts on discord and i'm going to post them here as well.

FOOL: i did not expect the twist at the end with this and i enjoyed it for what it was. idk what else you can really say about a known quantity like igor.
MAGICIAN: i was worried that morgana's whole deal would be that he is horny for ann the entire game but that's really quite underplayed and i liked his arc as the game went on. his cat form is cute and i'm glad he sticks around with the protag at the end.
PREISTESS: makoto is cool and she has probably the coolest 'sona of the cast, i like that she really takes charge of the party in a tangible way. shame she's a cop.
EMPRESS: haru latches on so late in the game that it's hard to get super attached to her and i feel like she doesn't really click in a meaningful way with the rest of the part outside of morgana. her intro stuff when she's awkwardly trying to put on a show with morgana is probably the bes tthing she gets to do.
EMPEROR: yusuke extremely surprised me in how much i liked him. i king of figured he would be a non-entity but he's maybe the funniest member of the party? all his little quirks are very funny on their own, and it all wraps up in such a weird enigmatic package that plays off the rest of the party really well throughout.
HEIROPHANT: i'm really glad there was never a big "sojiro finds out your secret and doesn't trust you anymore" scene. by the time he sniffs out the situation he's fully on your side and once futaba's whole deal is in the open his story gets really good. great character.
LOVERS: i like that ann is kind of a dumbass. her confidant arc isn't super interesting, but it had decent enough character work. she was my biggest damage dealer in NG+ so that's gotta count for something.
CHARIOT: ryuji is fine. it would have been nice if he toned down being such a hothead at some point, his constant barging into situations headlong got kind of old by the end. "this is the horny one" characters are always a drag.
JUSTICE: i went in knowing akechi was the bad guy so there wasn't any surprise there, but i do like the little breadcrumbs they toss in leading to it. his p5r post-game character was super interesting to me, he's a dickhead with a goal and he's not interested in playing nice. really makes for a hell of a contrast.
HERMIT: i did not realize going in that futaba would feel like more of a kid than a peer, and as such i liked her character a lot as someone trying to break out of her weird brain hole. it completely sucks that you can romance her at all when she's very clearly in a sisterly role.
FORTUNE: this was probably the least interesting confidant! sorry chihaya!!
STRENGTH: these two were very funny in their scenes going about town and their figuring out what their deal was throughout the confidant arc was cool. lavenza is also very cool as a character imo. good characters.
HANGED MAN: "sad dad" was not the direction i was expecting him to go in, but it was good. i like that all your best responses to him are the ones where you're being kind of a dick.
DEATH: outside of the obvious (she's fuckin hot as hell dude) her arc is sweet and she's cool. i wish she sold SP stuff.
TEMPERANCE: if you scrape off all the trappings of the maid stuff her arc is very nice and i liked her a lot! if you don't get rid of the maid stuff it's a little yucky!
DEVIL: i thought she would be more interesting than she was! sorry ichiko!!
TOWER: i don't have much to say about him other than that his arc was decent and i never really got to use down shots at all because every boss seems to block them so what's the point?!
STAR: hifumi is rad and a dork and therefore a rad dork. rock on.
MOON: mishima is a complete loving putz but i'm glad the game absolutely knows that he sucks and therefore his arc is about him realizing he sucks. well done.
SUN: owns
JUDGEMENT: nishima is rad, i hope she and makoto get along better now. the weird time-jump way her confidant arc plays out is a neat meta thing.
WORLD: i guess this is where i say the protag is a very good silent protag who manages to maintain a personality of his own that still fits him however you play it, and that's not an easy feat imo.
COUNCILOR: i am glad maruki was never really evil, per se, just very misguided and haunted by a lovely past. makes for a very heady final boss.
FAITH: sumire is cute af and her dynamic with the protag in the main part of the game really stood out to me. once the reveal happens it feels a little weird to continue down that path, but she's a really compelling character regardless. i will be poking around for cute fanart of them dating for some time. you can't stop me.

persona: it's good, as it turns out!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

blossommirage posted:

I've completed Persona 3 ten times and I don't think I've ever used Koro in my party ever. Not that he's bad, he's just a good boy and I don't want him to get hurt. Aki Ken and Aigis are the ideal party imo.

Because you want those three to get hurt?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

kidcoelacanth posted:

hello persona thread. after 5 or 6 years of waiting for it to come out on switch and then another half a year of waiting to actually boot it up, i finally played through persona 5 royal over the past month. it was my first time ever playing a persona game (though i've read/watched enough P4 LPs to know that story well). i don't know how i managed to not spoil myself fully until 2023 outside of some bits and pieces, but i'm glad i managed. i played through twice, committing to maxing all the social ranks on the NG+. took 144 hours over 20 days. i wrote up some confidant thoughts on discord and i'm going to post them here as well.

I strongly recommend Strikers next then. Gameplay is different but not hard and it fleshes out characters who don't get much to do in the original (like Haru).

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

ApplesandOranges posted:

I strongly recommend Strikers next then. Gameplay is different but not hard and it fleshes out characters who don't get much to do in the original (like Haru).

i'm really tempted to give it a try but boy howdy i did not care for hyrule warriors and i think mousou might just not be for me.

tactica seems like it might be cool though??

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

kidcoelacanth posted:

i'm really tempted to give it a try but boy howdy i did not care for hyrule warriors and i think mousou might just not be for me.

Honestly as someone who never played musou either, I think it's fine. Like the first dungeon is the hardest (standard Persona tradition) but after a while it's not really too much different from a standard Persona game, just a bit mashier.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

kidcoelacanth posted:

TBF, it plays out more like a real-time version of Royal in that you still need to take advantage of enemy weaknesses while avoiding getting nailed by elements you're weak against. Just hack & slashing isn't gonna work out long-term.

The game allows you to pause at the abilities screen to think about your next move and select the special attack you want to use, so it's not just mindless mashing.

And if real-time combat isn't your thing and you just wanna see the PTs hang out and have fun, you can always play around with the difficulty settings.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
No way in hell am I not gonna be murdering monsters with a kid, a dog and a robot

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

kidcoelacanth posted:

hell yeah, did the same thing back in november-january, welcome to the fold

Broadly agree with everything you said about the confidants, but I want to add that being hilarious isn't even the reason Yusuke rules; his core trait is that despite being the designated weirdo, he's also the most sensible character in the cast. Whenever the Phantom Thieves are trying to figure out their next course of action, his suggestion will always be the right call.

And the Faith stuff is pretty easy to justify: it's super easy to read their interactions as mutually flirty well before the reveal, and also to read Joker as having broadly figured out her deal before then. He's not pursuing a relationship with the sad trauma girl, he finds out that his sorta-girlfriend is in the poo poo and chooses to stick by her. Most romancable confidants are written in a way where you have clearly been retroactively dating for a while before rank 9 if you choose the romance route.

Also echoing the recommendation for Strikers. I dropped the difficulty down to easy pretty early on, and that is breezy enough that you can get all the way through without frustration even if you're poo poo at musous, plus the game will let you crank it back up at any time if you wind up having too easy a time of it. It is absolutely worth it for the story and characters.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

And the Faith stuff is pretty easy to justify: it's super easy to read their interactions as mutually flirty well before the reveal, and also to read Joker as having broadly figured out her deal before then. He's not pursuing a relationship with the sad trauma girl, he finds out that his sorta-girlfriend is in the poo poo and chooses to stick by her. Most romancable confidants are written in a way where you have clearly been retroactively dating for a while before rank 9 if you choose the romance route.

yeah! it's good. i love em

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Neeksy posted:

It's -kinda- funny to me that P5R's extra content has a similar conceptual dilemma to The Caligula Effect series with regards to someone creating an ideal world that satisfies the desires of people within it, and the few people who are willing to shatter that to face reality.

And then the second Caligula Effect game had a redheaded girl who wished herself into her dead sister as a party member. That one had to be intentional.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Can confirm that Strikers is really good. It's not a lazy cash-in, it is well up to the same standard of quality as the base game, just with tighter pacing.

Did I mention that the music is excellent even though it's by a different composer? the Shibuya and especially the Osaka dungeon themes absolutely pop off, Counter Strike is up there with Rivers in the Desert, and the final battle theme is a nice little finale for the PTs. Even the shopping theme is a jam.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
I like Take Over a lot more than Last Surprise, but the Strikers version of Last Surprise pulls it right back up there.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Sapozhnik posted:

the Shibuya and especially the Osaka dungeon themes absolutely pop off,

I will say that the Okinawa Jail theme is my #1 just for how loving haunting it is.

Sapozhnik posted:

Counter Strike is up there with Rivers in the Desert

I want to talk more about how much I agree with this, but that veers into spoiler territory.

Sapozhnik posted:

Even the shopping theme is a jam.

You're buying quite a bit~

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Cloacamazing! posted:

And then the second Caligula Effect game had a redheaded girl who wished herself into her dead sister as a party member. That one had to be intentional.

P5R genuinely felt like a reaction to it, it was so weird.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I've definitely seen that story beat before so I think it's just kind of coincidental

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Soul Hackers 2 is pretty fun. Ringo is genuinely charming, possibly because she skips a lot of typical 'AI in the world of Man' steps to have a genuine personality. And that personality is mostly gremlin.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Neeksy posted:

P5R genuinely felt like a reaction to it, it was so weird.

I think P5R was out first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

yusuke buying exactly two lobsters with the last of his money and then carrying them around all day is such a good bit