Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

I remember using iTunes the exact way Apple intended, thinking I’d be rewarded for my efforts instead of going against the grain. Then it decided to just not work anymore in a way that seemed logical so I gave up using it. That had to be like, in 2016 lol.

I’m also unsure how the Files app is supposed to be used in 2023. My photos app stores my photos, and I can’t see those in Files. Then my saved moves are saved within my Mega app, and those don’t appear in Files either. The only thing it’s ever done for me is help launder PDF files between apple devices, so I guess it’s easier than emailing something to myself?

I really don’t know what its purpose is.

you can go to icloud.com and upload files into it.

You can also do cross save files from your mac and it will show up in the files app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

buglord posted:

I remember using iTunes the exact way Apple intended, thinking I’d be rewarded for my efforts instead of going against the grain. Then it decided to just not work anymore in a way that seemed logical so I gave up using it. That had to be like, in 2016 lol.

I’m also unsure how the Files app is supposed to be used in 2023. My photos app stores my photos, and I can’t see those in Files. Then my saved moves are saved within my Mega app, and those don’t appear in Files either. The only thing it’s ever done for me is help launder PDF files between apple devices, so I guess it’s easier than emailing something to myself?

I really don’t know what its purpose is.

yeah but you can also move photos and videos into Files, which is different from them being in Photos (it's a loving mess, kind of like how you can have Music files which are not the same as iTunes directory files)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is it possible to plug in my iPad into my non-Mac a desktop and drag and drop files into the Files app as local storage and not have it touch the cloud? Do I still have to use iTunes and will it fight me on syncing?

I’ve long since wanted to load up movies directly on my iPad using a hardwire connection and drop things into Files but I figured it was either impossible or I’d have to use iTunes which would nuke something unintentionally.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You can do it with any OS if you have a USB stick somewhere you can use. Just drag and drop to the stick then plug it into the iPad with an adapter or directly depending on if the stick is USB C shaped and open the files app

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

buglord posted:

Is it possible to plug in my iPad into my non-Mac a desktop and drag and drop files into the Files app as local storage and not have it touch the cloud? Do I still have to use iTunes and will it fight me on syncing?

I’ve long since wanted to load up movies directly on my iPad using a hardwire connection and drop things into Files but I figured it was either impossible or I’d have to use iTunes which would nuke something unintentionally.

No, it’ll only let you access the camera files. If you use a USB storage device as a go-between it’ll work tho.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

buglord posted:

Don't worry about hard wiring it. Set up SMB (standard Windows file sharing) and connect using the Files app and download it that way. No cloud needed, just your local network.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Arivia posted:

Don't worry about hard wiring it. Set up SMB (standard Windows file sharing) and connect using the Files app and download it that way. No cloud needed, just your local network.

yeah, do this

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Arivia posted:

Is there a guide on how to do this?

I really wish I could just use a cable but I guess it can’t be that easy. My home network is meh.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Right goons, I used iTunes to copy across some movies and they seem to have transferred over USB ok, but I don't know how to access them on the iPad itself. They don't show up in Files.

They show up in the TV app under Library.

I don't know why everyone else is being so weird about this. I do the same thing you do a few times a year and it works fine, you don't really need all these other 3rd party apps and cloud transfers.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Ok Comboomer posted:

The iPad thread: we told you not to use iTunes, bro

New thread title please.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I installed iTunes on my PC a few weeks ago because I'd moved from Spotify to Apple Music, and the playlist transfer app added everything in those playlists to my library, which included a playlist containing every cover of a Beatles song that has ever been published to streaming platforms. The only way I could delete all of the poo poo butt-rock versions of Drive my Car or whatever in bulk was via iTunes. Anyway it was bad and I hated using it, but I kind of respect that they're keeping it on life support this long.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

buglord posted:

Is there a guide on how to do this?

I really wish I could just use a cable but I guess it can’t be that easy. My home network is meh.

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/ipad/ipada347dae1/16.0/ipados/16.0 for setting it up on the other end just google windows file sharing it’s built into the OS

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Get this app: https://softorino.com/waltr/

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

FCKGW posted:

They show up in the TV app under Library.

I don't know why everyone else is being so weird about this. I do the same thing you do a few times a year and it works fine, you don't really need all these other 3rd party apps and cloud transfers.

Motherloving poo poo. It's no wonder I prefer Android, the land of milk and honey. I'm on the plane now, I'll see what I can do when we're at the hotel.

Mr. Mercury
Aug 13, 2021

Event thread is live!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4041710

Please post there for event-specific stuff.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

What's the cheapest way to get an iPad repaired without doing it myself?

I have a 2020 iPad here that works great except the screen backlight doesn't appear to work. I can see the screen itself is working if I shine a flashlight directly at it.

It looks like disassembling this thing is a giant pain in the rear end that I am also likely to screw up; and a display replacement from most breakfix shops is $150, while a used working iPad of that generation is $200.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’ll just say you ain’t doing it yourself.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Take the $69 + $3.49 * how many months over 24 you've had it that you didn't spend on Applecare+ and whatever Apple will give you on trade-in for a broken iPad and buy a new one.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The 2017 iPad Pro that my kid inherited finally succumbed to 5-year-old chimp rage and has a cracked screen. It’s wayyyy out of applecare. Should I even bother trying to get the screen fixed or just get a refurbed base model when they announce the next generation?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Motherloving poo poo. It's no wonder I prefer Android, the land of milk and honey. I'm on the plane now, I'll see what I can do when we're at the hotel.

It all makes sense if you’ve been on the apple train since the iPod/iTunes days.

Yes it does need to evolve. Files app is a baby step in that direction.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Well Played Mauer posted:

The 2017 iPad Pro that my kid inherited finally succumbed to 5-year-old chimp rage and has a cracked screen. It’s wayyyy out of applecare. Should I even bother trying to get the screen fixed or just get a refurbed base model when they announce the next generation?

Assuming you don’t need pro features from 2017, yeah just get whatever base model on discount. You can probably already get a refurb for a pretty low lricr.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Apple flat rate repair cost on that model is $450.

If you don’t need Pro features anymore the base 9th gen has been on sale for $270ish lately

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Thanks, makes sense. He watches Disney/Plex and plays chess and Marvel Snap on it, so I’m thinking the newest base model should more than cover him.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thanks, makes sense. He watches Disney/Plex and plays chess and Marvel Snap on it, so I’m thinking the newest base model should more than cover him.

The newest base model is the iPad 10, which also has usb-c like the more expensive iPads and new iPhones so you can make progress towards getting rid of your lightning cables.

They kept the 9th around for schools, it's 2 years old now.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I want to sell my iPad Air and Magic Keyboard. Anything I should know or do before I post on craigslist?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sounds like you're already decided, but any (older) iPad with a laminated screen is generally not worth fixing.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

no, they’ll never learn if you just spoil them probably not worth the repair cost if it’s just doing “basic iPad” duty, I’d wait for a new base model but you might be waiting for a while if you don’t want to just grab a refurb now

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Social Animal posted:

I want to sell my iPad Air and Magic Keyboard. Anything I should know or do before I post on craigslist?

Factory reset and turn off Find my iPad.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

TOOT BOOT posted:

Factory reset and turn off Find my iPad.

What you mean is “turn off Find my iPad then factory reset”.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Thanks I’ll do that, seems easy enough.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I really enjoy using scribble, but is there a way to increase the text field when that’s active? It really hampers my ability to shitpost with handwriting because it’s all the way at the bottom of the page for discord.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

Grabbed an Air 5 after reading the last 50 pages or so and while my 2nd gen stylus is ennroute, I've been using a $15 pen that has been collecting dust for years.

I have 4 pens that all preformed just like the comments here mentioned.

https://a.co/d/5BrTJsp

I'll come back when my 2nd gen arrives with a update but unless you require hyper precision art or the like, I do not think there can be much a difference

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord

96 spacejam posted:

Grabbed an Air 5 after reading the last 50 pages or so and while my 2nd gen stylus is ennroute, I've been using a $15 pen that has been collecting dust for years.

I have 4 pens that all preformed just like the comments here mentioned.

https://a.co/d/5BrTJsp

I'll come back when my 2nd gen arrives with a update but unless you require hyper precision art or the like, I do not think there can be much a difference

So if these pens aren’t Bluetooth but also battery powered so seemingly not just capacitive…how are they working?

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I've pretty much been on my Air since receiving it on Friday. It seems like the biggest issue was the lack of pressure from 3rd-party but regardless, while I don't do any digital art I do have a lot of experience using dozens of different stylus' on dozens of different touchscreens over the years.

I should have mentioned 2 of the 4 that preformed exactly how I expected them to after reading this thread were also battery powered.

I've probably had no more than a dozen instances of having to re-touch because I was angled a bit more than normal. I have a sneaking suspicion that if I had cleaned it a bit those may not have occurred. This stylus hadn't been tossed off into the bowels of a junk draw for the last 2 and half years.

Later today I'll be able to test it against a ApplePen2.

I'd be confident recommending it to anyone needing a budget version of a ApplePen. Absolutely worth the price though for a general stylus.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Is there a way to delete the documents and data of an app without deleting the whole app? A gacha game I’m playing is taking up nearly 8 gigs total and I want to remove all that junk and re-download the “not full download” content

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Question Mark Mound posted:

Is there a way to delete the documents and data of an app without deleting the whole app? A gacha game I’m playing is taking up nearly 8 gigs total and I want to remove all that junk and re-download the “not full download” content

That's up to the app developers. Sometimes in the app settings there's a button or whatever to nuke all that stuff. Sometimes there isn't.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I tried to set do not disturb to be always on when I’m home but it doesn’t seem to work. I have automation on at my address, and haven’t allowed any extra notifications. Is there something else I need to do? I keep my phone on silent all the time but I’ll hear my iPad going off in the other room. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think that stuff depends on "significant locations" being enabled. But I'm not sure how that works on an ipad that doesn't have gps. I can't find the options for it in location services on my ipad.

It might also be a sync problem, I think statuses are supposed to propagate to all your devices. Maybe a reboot fixes the ipad?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I’ll give that a shot thanks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

It might also be a sync problem, I think statuses are supposed to propagate to all your devices. Maybe a reboot fixes the ipad?

It’s got to be something like this.

When my sleep mode activates on my phone I see it turn on on the iPad when I’m using it before bed.

Its just always worked for me. Probably not helpful but I’ve never had an issue with it.