Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Open Source Idiom posted:

That would be the sensible response, but I bet they think they can just have people film without (finalised) scripts. Consistent with their logic so far tbh.

Even if the scripts aren’t final they still have to get the actors back NOW because actors need their schedules worked out. The strike didn’t just make things vanish, they will all have backlogs that need to be worked around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mancalamania
Oct 23, 2008
I’m glad most of those talk shows are backing down, but now I’m curious: why does it seem like there is more of an outcry against talk shows filming during this strike than last strike?

During the 07 strike most of the talk shows started filming again after a few months and I don’t remember any backlash. If anything, I remember people generally liking the weird unscripted anti-humor bits on Conan for putting the strike and the importance of talk show writers in the spotlight in the spotlight. The only negative incident I remember involved Jay Leno saying he was still writing a monologue by himself every night but even that felt more like people riffing on Leno for not understanding the rules and not actual animosity.

Is it just a different culture or is there some subtle reason why it’s a bigger deal this time around?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

mancalamania posted:

I’m glad most of those talk shows are backing down, but now I’m curious: why does it seem like there is more of an outcry against talk shows filming during this strike than last strike?

During the 07 strike most of the talk shows started filming again after a few months and I don’t remember any backlash. If anything, I remember people generally liking the weird unscripted anti-humor bits on Conan for putting the strike and the importance of talk show writers in the spotlight in the spotlight. The only negative incident I remember involved Jay Leno saying he was still writing a monologue by himself every night but even that felt more like people riffing on Leno for not understanding the rules and not actual animosity.

Is it just a different culture or is there some subtle reason why it’s a bigger deal this time around?

Because back then the studios exposed a loophole that since the hosts also had hosting duties despite being WGA members, they should be able to do their show, but without writers. Additionally, Letterman had an interim deal with his writers through his own production company. The loophole was closed this time, and also this time WGA isn’t granting interim deals.

In other news, Bill Maher is pushing the Real Time return back, and said it’s because both sides are back at the table. So yeah I think these shows all know something we don’t.

Edit: clarified a comment about 2007.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Sep 18, 2023

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of

mancalamania posted:

as a general guess? probably because society has become more and more blatant in its bloody-minded desire to enslave and exterminate larger and larger swathes of the populace on behalf of the capitalists, and so more and more people are projecting their own mounting desperation onto labor struggles (among other, much worse movements) as a ticket to saving themselves and their loved one from being ground into paste

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

fart blood posted:

Because back then the studios exposed a loophole that since the hosts also had hosting duties despite being WGA members, they should be able to do their show, but without writers. Additionally, Letterman had an interim deal with his writers through his own production company. The loophole was closed this time, and also this time WGA isn’t granting interim deals.

In other news, Bill Maher is pushing the Real Time return back, and said it’s because both sides are back at the table. So yeah I think these shows all know something we don’t.

Edit: clarified a comment about 2007.

The other difference is that during the 2007-08 WGA strike, the actors' guilds weren't on strike simultaneously.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

stumblebum posted:

as a general guess? probably because society has become more and more blatant in its bloody-minded desire to enslave and exterminate larger and larger swathes of the populace on behalf of the capitalists, and so more and more people are projecting their own mounting desperation onto labor struggles (among other, much worse movements) as a ticket to saving themselves and their loved one from being ground into paste

Yeah, COVID and the whole "you will all die for our bottom lines and like it, back to work slaves" thing that came about when corporations tried to mandate their workers to keep showing up to offices in person while a lethal pandemic was raging kind of woke the general public up to how lovely capitalism really is and there's no going back across that threshold now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.thewrap.com/bill-maher-real-time-hbo-restart-delay-wga-strike/

So Billo thought about it over the weekend and decided it probably actually wasn't a good idea to cross the union and start scabbing after seeing what happened to Drew Barrymore and Jennifer Hudson.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
EDIT: ^^^^^ My guess is someone vital to maintaining the stage told him they're not crossing picket lines

fart blood posted:

I saw a comment on reddit (I know) saying they wonder if they’re all pausing production because they got an inside tip the writers are gonna get offered a good deal this week anyway so may as well wait for the guild to approve it.

I could also believe Zaslav et al are going around telling people "I got em where I want em, we'll get back to work next week :smug:" And he'll be the only one surprised when they turn him down

DarklyDreaming fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 18, 2023

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

nine-gear crow posted:

So Billo thought about it over the weekend and decided it probably actually wasn't a good idea to cross the union and start scabbing after seeing what happened to Drew Barrymore and Jennifer Hudson.
Bullying works

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

lol he is such a pussy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The REAL Goobusters posted:

lol he is such a pussy

I'm actually a little shocked he backed down. Usually he's such a contrarian twat who's insulated from consequence, I legit thought he'd go back on the air with both middle fingers up to the unions and just scab out an entire season or more while the strikes continued because he didn't give a gently caress.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm actually a little shocked he backed down. Usually he's such a contrarian twat who's insulated from consequence, I legit thought he'd go back on the air with both middle fingers up to the unions and just scab out an entire season or more while the strikes continued because he didn't give a gently caress.
It’s a little surprising yes. But I think that everyone else backing down put him on the spot.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Argyle posted:

There’s also a lot of actual writing. My partner works in “unscripted” and she does as much writing as I do on my scripted show. Probably more, tbh.

Does her work fall under the “Story Editor” title that IIRC was a topic in the 08(??) strike and the WGA eventually dropped?

It always bothered me that the WGA did that back then and I hope situation changed for those not in the Showrunner level.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s a little surprising yes. But I think that everyone else backing down put him on the spot.

Yeah, I'm sure he was fine not backing down when Drew Barrymore was taking the hits, but as soon as he became the target the cons far outweighed the pros.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

He probably internally justifies it by thinking he’s being a contrarian to himself.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

Nystral posted:

Does her work fall under the “Story Editor” title that IIRC was a topic in the 08(??) strike and the WGA eventually dropped?

It always bothered me that the WGA did that back then and I hope situation changed for those not in the Showrunner level.

Her title is “producer”, but the show isn’t guild covered so the title doesn’t mean much of anything. She is a de facto writer and should definitely be paid as such, but unfortunately it’s a non-union prodco so they can kind of do whatever they want. She’s trying to find a better gig but reality production is surprisingly dead right now, even with the strikes on.

xerxus
Apr 24, 2010
Grimey Drawer

nine-gear crow posted:

Probably an issue with getting guests. Not a lot of people on the left side are willing to cross the picket line and scab.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Cross-posting from the LA thread, if anyone in here is local and so inclined:

I'm organizing the Jewish special pickets for the SAG-AFTRA/WGA strikes, and our 2nd one (2 PICKETS 2 JEWRIOUS, thank you very much) is tomorrow at Paramount. There will be a fuckton of free kosher pizza, vegan ice cream, bagels & schmear, and a donation-run coffee cart. Come help us eat everything.

Also even more food at Strike Solidarity Shabbat dinner #3 this Friday, it's already lookin' pretty goony so come help us goon it up some more. Info for both: https://www.instagram.com/p/CxZEVDTPB-s/

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

fart blood posted:

Have they explained why? If there are individual productions or companies willing to agree to your terms, what is the downside to letting them go ahead? Wouldn't that increase the pressure on the holdouts to cave, since they would be losing money while other networks or streaming services are releasing new shows and movies?

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Probably could be seen as damaging to solidarity if some get to go back to work while others suffer. And also a route for studios to mitigate the bleeding while having no intention of the interim agreements becoming permanent. Also if the talk shows are on that's a level of normality that the union may not want the viewers to see.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Baronash posted:

Have they explained why? If there are individual productions or companies willing to agree to your terms, what is the downside to letting them go ahead? Wouldn't that increase the pressure on the holdouts to cave, since they would be losing money while other networks or streaming services are releasing new shows and movies?

I don’t have an answer for that because I’m not in the union, but IIRC in 2007 interim deals with Marvel and Lionsgate (who weren’t in AMPTP, though Marvel is now due to Disney) were a big catalyst for the strike ending, but the side effect to that was the WGA rushed to concede some things they wish they hadn’t, and they wanna hold the line more now because this strike is very very existential compared to previous ones.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It is a key difference between the 2 strike here, as SAG are offering interim agreements.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Gaz-L posted:

It is a key difference between the 2 strike here, as SAG are offering interim agreements.

and that has since been modified to no longer grant interim deals to any WGA covered project so those are harder to get now.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
https://twitter.com/DEADLINE/status/1704636672162627888

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Considering it's the AMPTP that says it's "Encouraging" I'm not holding my breath

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

AMPTP: We all agreed our latest offering is too good for them to pass up. What we're offering is nothing. Absolutely nothing. Maybe they have to pay us money instead? Yeah gently caress it, let's go with that. Man this is gonna work out great!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DarklyDreaming posted:

Considering it's the AMPTP that says it's "Encouraging" I'm not holding my breath

Yeah, and remember that Penske Media Corporation (which owns Deadline, as well as The Hollywood Reporter, Variety, Rolling Stone and others) has been carrying the AMPTP's water throughout both of these strikes.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1704682666778607790

BRING ME THE SHOWS

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Come to an agreement after just two days of negotiations or the strike will last another three months? I don't know a lot, but that sounds like AMPTP posturing to me.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, this seems like odd timing to me. I sincerely hope that they're nearing a deal (with the guild getting nearly everything they want) but for some reason this smells like AMPTP propaganda, as a pretext for trying to rile up the public when the guild "suddenly broke off communication when we were close to a deal, what greedy assholes!"

Sure hope I'm wrong

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
It's just negotiation 101. You want to assume control and manifest positive outcomes. You want to open with "we are glad you are so close to securing a helicopter and a million dollars in unmarked bills and we are looking forward to releasing these hostages as soon as we lift off!"
Sets the tone and framing right from the start.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Any quotes from sources to news outlets and trades are coming straight from the studios so don’t stock hope in this. It’s a tactic.

Edit: but I hope they do agree on a deal today.

...! posted:

Yeah, this seems like odd timing to me. I sincerely hope that they're nearing a deal (with the guild getting nearly everything they want) but for some reason this smells like AMPTP propaganda, as a pretext for trying to rile up the public when the guild "suddenly broke off communication when we were close to a deal, what greedy assholes!"

Sure hope I'm wrong

I mean, it’s their only course of action if they don’t wanna give a fair deal. They know they are the bad guys here and they know they also look like the bad guys.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Sep 21, 2023

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The fact that someone from the WGA hasn't put out a statement contradicting the progress report in the hours since makes me believe there is actual progress in negotiations. When the AMPTP put out a statement last week saying they were coming back to the table, the WGA confirmed it minutes later.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The WGA and AMPTP put out a joint statement last night. This clearly isn't the AMPTP making poo poo up and leaking to the press. Maybe the deal falls through, but the WGA is clearly comfortable enough with the progress to publicly signal a reason for optimism.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
That and the studios could really use a PR win like "CEOs reach deal with writers."

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...
I've seen some writers, like David Slack, call bullshit on the part that reads if a deal isn't reached today, nothing will happen for the rest of the year because that obviously reads like the AMPTP trying to strongarm the unions yet again.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

xeria posted:

I've seen some writers, like David Slack, call bullshit on the part that reads if a deal isn't reached today, nothing will happen for the rest of the year because that obviously reads like the AMPTP trying to strongarm the unions yet again.

They very likely are. Or the studios are just bluffing. They don’t have a whole lot else left they can really do or say.

Argyle
Jun 7, 2001

fart blood posted:

They very likely are. Or the studios are just bluffing. They don’t have a whole lot else left they can really do or say.

It is kind of amazing that the AMPTP dropped millions of dollars into a crisis PR firm, and the best they can come up with is "pretend it's going well!"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Argyle posted:

It is kind of amazing that the AMPTP dropped millions of dollars into a crisis PR firm, and the best they can come up with is "pretend it's going well!"

I wonder how much you can honestly put down to the AMPTP not getting how transparent everything is these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Argyle posted:

Because PR agencies are mostly a grift.