Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

ddinkins posted:

Hana-bi was excellent: acting, pacing, cinematography, everything else. I've just noticed I haven't seen much of Beat Takeshi's work besides Takeshi's Castle (by way of MXC lol). I'm gonna change that

Watch Sonatine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis posted:

Watch Sonatine

legit scrolled too fast nd thought this said salo

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Sonatine’s been on my watchlist since I first started watching yakuza films a few years ago and it was only while looking at his filmography after watching Hana-bi that I realized it was one of Takeshi’s lol

It’s funny to watch the kinds of movies he makes and think about the fact that he’s best known in Japan as a comedian

ddinkins
Sep 5, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Watch Sonatine

thanks for the recommendation

Fungah! posted:

legit scrolled too fast nd thought this said salo

lol

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

Watched Speed Racer, really fun and chaotic. I kind of appreciate when a movie leans that hard into a stylized/cartoony look and sticks with it consistently. The kid who played Spritle was a standout, he acted his heart out and it worked great. Speed himself was kind of flat and forgettable (which I guess sort of fits with what I remember from the original lol) but for the most part everyone was a good fit for the characters. "More like non-jas" is one of the dumbest lines of all time and I love it

3/5 vhs tapes

Leadthumb posted:

Oh yeah and I thought that part where the sides of the track had a series of zebra images animate as they race down the track was cool, even if they probably just rigged it in post or whatever.

Me too, and I'm pretty confident that basically the entire movie was done in post lol

Sub-Actuality fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Sep 18, 2023

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

nonjas wasnt doin it for me the first time i watched until he started talkin about the general decline in quality of the ninja lol

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

hana-bi - beautifully shot. sad, bittersweet, depressing, funny. hits so many notes. i really enjoyed this. 4/5

speed racer (rewatch) - a cartoon come to life 3/5

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Something I noticed about Hana-bi was how Japanese movies seem to be a lot quieter than American ones, both tonally and literally. It had a typically excellent Joe Hisaishi soundtrack but there was a lot of time with no music at all, or any sound really. Makes the movie feel kinda lonely

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Fungah! posted:

nonjas wasnt doin it for me the first time i watched until he started talkin about the general decline in quality of the ninja lol

lol

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

Nostradingus posted:

Something I noticed about Hana-bi was how Japanese movies seem to be a lot quieter than American ones, both tonally and literally. It had a typically excellent Joe Hisaishi soundtrack but there was a lot of time with no music at all, or any sound really. Makes the movie feel kinda lonely

Guy who picked House: Man other movies are so quiet.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

lmbo

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Leadthumb posted:

lol

thanks for the epic sig el spider

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
hana-bi would benefit from having the same 3 songs playing on loop

thanks for the epic sig el spider

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Leadthumb posted:

Lol

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Plebian Parasite decided to change things up with this next pick

Crank (2): High Voltage - dir. by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8pjrwpS0zE

quote:

Chelios faces a Chinese mobster who has stolen his nearly indestructible heart and replaced it with a battery-powered ticker which requires regular jolts of electricity to keep working.

Crank: High Voltage is a sequel to 2006's Crank.

This movie can be streamed on Netflix and Fubo in the US.

This movie will expire Oct 2.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol hell yeah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lol gently caress yeah

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Never saw the first one. I’m going to be lost

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

herculon posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

herculon posted:

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
watched speed racer last night, i was 100% on board by the end of it
when he was driving on a single wheel at the end of the grand prix, the car looked like a hot wheels toy, and i was cheering right along

Fungah! posted:

even before he talked they did quick zoom into this shot and i loved it

Leadthumb posted:

Oh yeah and I thought that part where the sides of the track had a series of zebra images animate as they race down the track was cool, even if they probably just rigged it in post or whatever.

yeah that was great

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

i watched crank 1 and 2 two days ago

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah I probably won't watch because I just saw it relatively recently but it's a good pick and I'm looking forward to seeing the discussion.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sub-Actuality posted:

lol hell yeah

Fungah! posted:

lol gently caress yeah

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

elf help book posted:

when he was driving on a single wheel at the end of the grand prix, the car looked like a hot wheels toy, and i was cheering right along

yeah that was great

i forgot about the ring and cheered irl this time through when they zoomed to it

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

elf help book posted:

yeah that was great

That ring is awesome

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Speed Racer was great. This is exactly how every movie filmed in a giant, green warehouse should look.

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
i havent watched crank 1 or 2 in a while now but i remember liking them because of how ridiculous they were and how frenetic the directing of the 2nd was so im currently debating if ill rewatch both or just the second one

:sss:da peace thread:coolslime:
optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

I'll be watching Crank 1 first, to catch up on the Lore

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Crank 1 n 2 are great gta movies

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1650557956738502657

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

need that shirt

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

lol sick

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
im just going for 2 gently caress it from what i remember it stands on its own merits anyway

optional and/or mandatory easy listening for peace thread lurking and/or psoiting

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

symbolic posted:

need that shirt

found the link for it if anyone else wanted to cop: https://www.criterion.com/shop/product/69-house-t-shirt

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol sick

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Plebian Parasite decided to change things up with this next pick

Crank (2): High Voltage - dir. by Mark Neveldine and Brian Taylor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8pjrwpS0zE

Crank: High Voltage is a sequel to 2006's Crank.

This movie can be streamed on Netflix and Fubo in the US.

This movie will expire Oct 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MpJvmJWEDEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starbarry clock
Apr 23, 2012

king of teh portal
just watched crank 2 while cranked out on caffeine which i think helped the experience a bit but i will say out of the gate that a rewatch made it a little less exciting

part of the reason i initially enjoyed crank 2 was because of how over the top it was the really stupid comedy moments and the really neat camera work especially during the more electric moments

however what initially shocked me the first time watching didnt really do much for me this time since i still remembered the movie quite a bit but there were still some moments that i had a hard time handling

the nipple cutting scene is still incredibly difficult to watch even having seen it before

but also not having seen it almost a decade and a half ago now theres some stuff i missed that now i can enjoy a little more, not a lot but a few things

john de lancie being in it was cool now that i know more about star trek and have watched breaking bad

and the glenn howerton scene made me lol a bit more because i know who he is now after watching a bunch of always sunny

also the chinese guy with the locked lunch box reminds me of that dude from courage the cowardly dog

i thought it mightve been the same actor but my quick google searches put that to rest quick but the laugh is so similar

my biggest complaint with the movie by far is the ending i remembered being bored and let down by it when i watched it in theaters too

for all of the inventiveness and creativity of the movie up until that point it just felt really by the numbers and i think they also hosed up by having chet kill the big bad guy instead of venus that seemed like a huge misstep to me i get they wanted another laugh because of the tourettes but they still shouldve let him have the kill after Teh Funny

overall a pretty fun and unique action flick that had a fun gimmick with the film matching the intensity of the battery recharging but im giving it a good old 7/10 i think