Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

Gohan's unequaled potential has been a big idea since the very start of Z/Part 2/whatever. Having it finally drawn out, absolutely all of it, and then, uh-oh , he's utterly irrelevant and now it's up to Goku and Vegeta and then just Goku to save the day - save the day with a technique which has never, ever worked - was some unbelievably bad writing.

It also doesn't help that it doesn't make sense either. even if you want to ague that Goten and Trunks individually plus Piccolo have negligible power, just having buu and ultimate Gohan alone would make them stronger than Goku and Vegeta. at best Goku might be slightly stronger than buu, but Gohan was way stronger than Vegeta. and yet vegetto easily manhandled boo without any difficulty whatsoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

agreed with all this except for the saiyan saga. there weren't really any bullshit powerups there at least (well unless you count goku pulling off a kai-o-ken x4 when his body was already thrashed from using kai-o-ken x3 twice)

In addition to all that, here's a possible hot take: I might be one of the few people who thought the Vegeta sacrifice scene was actually really stupid, and have always thought so. don't get me wrong. I don't have a problem with the idea of having a scene where Vegeta sacrifices himself, demonstrating how much he's grown and changed throughout the series and all that stuff. what I took great issue with however, was that Vegeta decides to sacrifice himself at that particular moment and who he does it against.

Vegeta kills himself to take down this big, fat, stupid rubber demon thing that has the mind of a child that he otherwise has absolutely no connection to. Vegeta has known Buu for all of five minutes, four of which he spent getting his rear end kicked by him. yes we know that buu is extremely dangerous and a significant threat. but he just woke up and technically he hasn't even done anything evil yet. there's absolutely no emotional weight to this scene otherwise. it's not like if he fought Frieza or Cell or hell even somebody like 18, even she would have provided Vegeta more of a personal connection. But buu does absolutely none of these things and given how genuinely stupid of a character he is, at least in his initial form it further detracts from the seriousness of the scene and takes away much of its impact. Vegeta sacrificing himself maybe in the final fight with Kid Buu that would have worked a lot better as by this point buu had killed everybody on the planet including Vegeta's family and thus he would have far more of a reason to be willing to sacrifice himself to defeat him.

with that being said I still prefer the Buu saga over the cell Saga :shrug:

My issue with the redemptive sacrifice thing is that I don't think it works for undoing something you, yourself, caused just a moment ago. Buu's release is entirely Vegeta's fault. He was warned explicitly this would happen and brushed it all off for the sake of, as we all know, "PRIDE!" So...am I supposed to feel a deep emotional response to Vegeta trying to undo the great evil he himself knowingly and willingly unleashed five minutes ago?

The attack on Cell for Trunks' sake is, I think, a much better example of the same basic idea. Vegeta has been impossibly selfish all season but, when confronted with the reality of his son's death, he finally recognizes what a terrible, terrible person he has ben and tries to make some small kind of amends. Buu Saga Vegeta is supposed to be long on the path of redemption by now. His working with Babidi is not for "evil" motives, just...petty ones, except, given Goku complying with all of it, we are apparently supposed to think they are understandably petty motives. Either way, Buu's release is all his fault and so killing himself to undo what he caused an episode or chapter ago doesn't really work for me compared to his attack on Cell.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I was never that into DBZ for a variety of reasons but nowadays I just find its flaws funny viewing it as a gag manga guy making possibly the biggest battle shonen ever and having to keep that train going while clearly wanting to do goofy stuff (and DB is frankly at its best when it's able to be both).

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

claw game handjob posted:

You'd probably love the last movie. I definitely did for reasons related to some of what your post covered.

Neat might check it out. I haven't watched any new DBZ stuff in quite a long time.

NikkolasKing posted:

My issue with the redemptive sacrifice thing is that I don't think it works for undoing something you, yourself, caused just a moment ago. Buu's release is entirely Vegeta's fault. He was warned explicitly this would happen and brushed it all off for the sake of, as we all know, "PRIDE!" So...am I supposed to feel a deep emotional response to Vegeta trying to undo the great evil he himself knowingly and willingly unleashed five minutes ago?

The attack on Cell for Trunks' sake is, I think, a much better example of the same basic idea. Vegeta has been impossibly selfish all season but, when confronted with the reality of his son's death, he finally recognizes what a terrible, terrible person he has ben and tries to make some small kind of amends. Buu Saga Vegeta is supposed to be long on the path of redemption by now. His working with Babidi is not for "evil" motives, just...petty ones, except, given Goku complying with all of it, we are apparently supposed to think they are understandably petty motives. Either way, Buu's release is all his fault and so killing himself to undo what he caused an episode or chapter ago doesn't really work for me compared to his attack on Cell.

I actually kinda like Vegeta's characterization in the Buu Saga. He's a born and bred warrior taught that he was destined to be the best fighter ever and that the only thing that mattered was living up to that destiny, but by the time of the Buu Saga he's been listlessly hanging around Earth for years without any real goal because his main rival in Goku is dead and the only other guy in the planet who could maybe compete with Vegeta in Gohan has zero interest in fighting. He genuinely loves his wife and son but he's not really comfortable about it and can't bring himself to openly express it. He also can't accept that just living for them is enough, because again his whole life has been fight, fight fight. Then bam Goku shows up out of the blue and says hey I'll come back for a day so we can all fight. Suddenly Vegeta has a purpose again, and a chance to surpass his rival. Except whoops the whole thing gets derailed by Babidi's shenanigans and also Goku just casually demonstrates while fighting a mook that he's still vastly superior to Vegeta in terms of strength. Everybody keeps telling Vegeta to forget about fighting Goku or proving he's stronger because that's not important right now compared to all the Buu poo poo, but to Vegeta it is important; it's the only thing that's important. So he goes over the edge to make sure he can get what he wants, even though it requires him to temporarily give himself over to Babidi and potentially dooms everybody he loves. As iconic as the original Funimation dub of Majin Vegeta is, I prefer the Kai one because it really drives home that he's having a petulant meltdown because he was afraid of losing the one thing he'd convinced himself gave meaning to his life.

I also like that Goku "wins" the fight not by out punching Vegeta, but by convincing Vegeta of the lesson that he himself learned at the end of the Cell arc: that protecting the Earth and your loved ones is more important than a warrior's pride or a "fair" fight. He's able to finally break through all of Vegeta's bullshit and get him to admit that he cares more about his family than he does about getting to settle the score with Goku, which is such a monumental barrier for him to finally overcome. The sacrifice is kind of silly because it accomplishes nothing and maybe wouldn't have even been necessary if he'd fought with Goku vs Buu instead of knocking Goku out while his guard was down, but I do like that just before he does it the whole theme is capped off with him, for the first time, showing outward affection towards his son with the hug.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

NikkolasKing posted:

See, this is why Freeza is my most hated Z villain. Cell and Buu both had to work for their power-ups. Cell was actually weaker than Kamicollo and had to run away and get stronger. Majin Buu was weaker than Gohan so he had to scheme to absorb SSJ3 Gotenks.

With Freeza, every time he's losing, "another transformation!" Or, when he's out of those, "I was only using [insert number here]% of my full power!" Freeza is literally 1,000x stronger than his second-in-command so he could just keep digging and digging and digging. Nothing interesting happened, he'd just say "I'm stronger now" and he was.

tbh I prefer the Freeza saga for basically this reason. Freeza vs Goku absolutely drags on too long, but the Freeza Arc's whole deal is people who train vs people who think innate strength trumps all. Part of Freeza's whole deal is that he didn't want people to know that you could train to get meaningfully stronger.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

The Professor and friends play a game of commander, where The Professor uses the most obnoxious commander possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xy5LnNtkWAY&hd=1

I like these videos because they explain each card and play they make, so I don't need to have encyclopedic knowledge of 25,000 different magic cards over the last 30 years
Sorry, this gent is THE Professor

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
he is a professor

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

Laura Crone did a 3½ hour therapy session on thrillers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrPrbBk93Og

It also contains some musings about art, as it seems almost required for video essays of this type to have.

Excellent. This is the kind of book-related content I wish was the norm on Youtube. It also introduced me to the most "cool story bro" comment I've ever seen.

I tried to find the blog and see how Bravest-of-the-Lamps-y it is, but I couldn't find it so I guess he took it down.

Solitair fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Sep 19, 2023

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

It's happening!

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Solitair posted:

I tried to find the blog and see how Bravest-of-the-Lamps-y it is, but I couldn't find it so I guess he took it down.

Did you try typing "how much longer must we tolerate mass culture" (quotation marks included) into a search engine of your choosing?

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

NikkolasKing posted:

yes! this is a great point too. the lead up to that moment is also very badly done as well. and yeah totally agreed on the trunks during cell saga thing too. if felt like a way more of an earned emotional moment than almost anything in the buu saga.

also, it needs to be asked: why the hell DID vegeta sacrifice his life in the first place? again, buu had just been released. all he did up until he fights vegeta was knock out gohan, the supreme kai and kill dabura. nobody was in imminent danger. did vegeta run out of attacks? yes., but SO WHAT? why didn't he just leave so he could regroup with the others and find another plan of attack. don't give me the 'bububu prid' excuse. it's not like vegeta hasn't done tactical retreats multiple times in the past already.

honestly, basically every story beat in the buu saga just feels like toriyama had a bunch of random seemingly cool individual ideas that he just sort of strung together without giving much thought to how they would work thematically or not.

edit: and hell, since we're on the subject, i gotta ask.....is kid buu actually stronger than fat buu* and super buu? they never really made that clear. i know kid buu has the quickest regenerative abilitiy but his power level was always a question mark.

* talking about fat buu from the beginning, not the one that he spit out, which was obviously weaker

Mr Interweb fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Sep 19, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
My controversial Buu take is that Ocean Dub Scott McNeill's Buu voice is better than both the OG sub and funimation dub. Buu is squishy and Scott makes him sound squishy.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr Interweb posted:

edit: and hell, since we're on the subject, i gotta ask.....is kid buu actually stronger than fat buu* and super buu? they never really made that clear. i know kid buu has the quickest regenerative abilitiy but his power level was always a question mark.

I think official word is that he’s not the strongest form but he’s still the most dangerous, since he’s totally unrestrained id. the protags are so worn out by the time he appears that his relative strength is sort of academic anyway

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Re: DBZ, finally seeing Goku turn Super was the coolest poo poo in the entire world when I was a kid. I had seen pictures of all the lads in all the Super Sayin forms the internet at that point but to finally see it on the actual show after so long felt like witnessing history (from a kid's point of view)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Motto posted:

I was never that into DBZ for a variety of reasons but nowadays I just find its flaws funny viewing it as a gag manga guy making possibly the biggest battle shonen ever and having to keep that train going while clearly wanting to do goofy stuff (and DB is frankly at its best when it's able to be both).

One Piece has probably topped it now, although it being goofy was baked into its core by Oda making Luffy a rubber man so there's always room for a joke even when things get too serious.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mr Interweb posted:

yes! this is a great point too. the lead up to that moment is also very badly done as well. and yeah totally agreed on the trunks during cell saga thing too. if felt like a way more of an earned emotional moment than almost anything in the buu saga.

also, it needs to be asked: why the hell DID vegeta sacrifice his life in the first place? again, buu had just been released. all he did up until he fights vegeta was knock out gohan, the supreme kai and kill dabura. nobody was in imminent danger. did vegeta run out of attacks? yes., but SO WHAT? why didn't he just leave so he could regroup with the others and find another plan of attack. don't give me the 'bububu prid' excuse. it's not like vegeta hasn't done tactical retreats multiple times in the past already.

honestly, basically every story beat in the buu saga just feels like toriyama had a bunch of random seemingly cool individual ideas that he just sort of strung together without giving much thought to how they would work thematically or not.

* talking about fat buu from the beginning, not the one that he spit out, which was obviously weaker

All data suggests that Super Buu, base Super Buu, is stronger than Kid Buu.
Goku as a SSJ3 was affraid of fighting Super Buu even after they'd disconnected him from Gotenks/Gohan/Picollo as powersources. He was not affraid of Kid Buu, just unable to gather enough energy to do significant damage due to being alive again.
Of course that last factoid is just another aspect of the railroad plot being guided towards the Spiritbomb finish, since Gohan should have been able to finish off Kid Buu.

No clue about Fat Buu, but thats different annoying story element what with how clearly SSJ3 was made up at the last second.

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 19, 2023

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Solitair posted:

Excellent. This is the kind of book-related content I wish was the norm on Youtube. It also introduced me to the most "cool story bro" comment I've ever seen.

Holy poo poo :chanpop:

"BUT WHY ARE NOT CATERING TO ME, PERSONALLY???" :byodood:

Seriously, great video. She should do another one just to vex this guy

Siselmo
Jun 16, 2013

hey there

Solitair posted:

https://howmuchlongermustwetoleratemassculture.wordpress.com/

might be this one. havent had the chance to read it in detail, tho

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

quote:

I have really “catholic” tastes in music, both for listening and for playing. I like something out of virtually every genre and subgenre of music from about 1300 AD onwards. I know, everyone says they like everything- but I’m talking I have a fascination for everything from madrigals to deathcore. I really am as likely to be listening to be listening to Rai as I am to be listening to rock. That being the case, I have had to create my own system of classification, just for organizational reasons. Two over-riding classes are “Chthonic” and “Celestial” – underworld and overworld. Stuff like Wagner to Neurosis, I’d class as “Chthonic” while stuff from Stravinsky to Deftones is more “Celestial”, just for a sketch. So, I recently got a Yamaha Revstar, and it’s a Celestial aesthetic .

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

DeafNote posted:

All data suggests that Super Buu, base Super Buu, is stronger than Kid Buu.
Goku as a SSJ3 was affraid of fighting Super Buu even after they'd disconnected him from Gotenks/Gohan/Picollo as powersources. He was not affraid of Kid Buu, just unable to gather enough energy to do significant damage due to being alive again.
Of course that last factoid is just another aspect of the railroad plot being guided towards the Spiritbomb finish, since Gohan should have been able to finish off Kid Buu.

No clue about Fat Buu, but thats different annoying story element what with how clearly SSJ3 was made up at the last second.

Yeah Kid Buu is physically the weakest, but he's the most dangerous because he's pure, unrestrained id. You can't reason or bargain with him because he's, for all intents and purposes, a destructive force of nature.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Siselmo posted:

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Motto posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat, to be honest. Though I'm also immensely amused by looking back at just how seriously the western fandom treated DBZ back when it first hit North America in light of how goddamned silly Dragon Ball as a whole could be.

And when I say "serious' I don't mean the level of devotion the fandom had, I'm instead talking about the relationship with the show that lead so many teenage boys to make Linkin Park AMVs gushing about how badass Vegeta was...

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Oh we talkin AMVs now? This is the perfect opportunity to share my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-33SkD_tnw

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

Oh we talkin AMVs now? This is the perfect opportunity to share my favorite:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-33SkD_tnw
Sorry, but there's only one AMV:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf2owgv56jQ

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

A video on The Rental: $18.86

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58v5IwNbxI4

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
And now for something completely different.

Youtube seems to have decided that I really want to see apocalyptic videos about weather events "near" me. I generally ignored those because they are bullshit, but the frequency made me suspicious. So I did a search and stitched together the results until I got bored.

I would know if anything exciting happened, but here's the thing: Nothing of note was happening.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
yeah there's a cottage internet industry of what is basically weather disaster fanfic:
https://hypotheticalhurricanes.fandom.com/wiki/2389_Davis_Station_subtropical_depression_(Snowe)
https://hypotheticaltornadoes.fandom.com/wiki/2024_Super_Outbreak

Though actually it might not be the same, these actually outright say they're fictional while those youtubes could just be shameless viewfarming

Pigbuster fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Sep 19, 2023

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Typical. But why weather? That's so boring! Just go full tilt with UFOs and aliens attacking. Or mole people rising from the ground.

Oh no, it's fake bad weather! How scary!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Well, I didn't post the insane deluge of propaganda. If you get your news from Youtube you'd probably be almost as badly informed as if you got it from Twitter.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Libluini posted:

Typical. But why weather? That's so boring! Just go full tilt with UFOs and aliens attacking. Or mole people rising from the ground.

Oh no, it's fake bad weather! How scary!

In 2004 I had a roommate who I am sure writes this kind of thing, assuming he’s still alive.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the coolest weather fanfic are the turbo-nerds who make fake NWS alerts

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Pigbuster posted:

yeah there's a cottage internet industry of what is basically weather disaster fanfic:
https://hypotheticalhurricanes.fandom.com/wiki/2389_Davis_Station_subtropical_depression_(Snowe)
https://hypotheticaltornadoes.fandom.com/wiki/2024_Super_Outbreak

Though actually it might not be the same, these actually outright say they're fictional while those youtubes could just be shameless viewfarming

my local Thai spot has an old lcd screen in the back playing nothing but playlists of these fake weather events. quite surreal to look up from your pad thai and see Japanese houses sliding into the sea.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the coolest weather fanfic are the turbo-nerds who make fake NWS alerts

I thought this was a malicious thing, but you just mean like for fun and not to trick people.

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
This is a couple weeks old but I haven't seen it mentioned in thread but this guy's video on abandoned games a few months ago was well received, so enjoy some exploration of forgotten Minecraft servers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogtyba5Iq5s

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

If it gets people to understand that the phrase "man-made global warming" should've been "anthropogenic climate destabilization", I'm not sure it's all bad? :shrug:

It probably won't, though.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

If it gets people to understand that the phrase "man-made global warming" should've been "anthropogenic climate destabilization", I'm not sure it's all bad? :shrug:

It probably won't, though.

Yea the language hasnt been made dry and academic enough

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

Yea the language hasnt been made dry and academic enough
You can use different words if you want, the point is that it isn't about the weather and how it's getting warmer, it's the entire climate system is being destabilized and that humans are the cause.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
I think the weather fanfiction people just think tornados and hurricanes are cool and that it would be cool if there was, like, a really big tornado that could pick up the Empire State Building like it was Dorothy's house. It's like kaiju or dinosaurs, but with tornados. Or the movie Twister.

e. Basically it's like slasher movies where the slasher isn't the good guy but is still the one everybody likes. Jaws is a slasher movie but the slasher is a shark, and Twister is Jaws but the shark is a tornado.

mycot fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Emrikol posted:

Did you try typing "how much longer must we tolerate mass culture" (quotation marks included) into a search engine of your choosing?

Siselmo posted:

Not as annoying or interesting as I thought it'd be. It's mostly just impenetrable analysis of bands I've never heard of.

Happy Landfill posted:

Holy poo poo :chanpop:

"BUT WHY ARE NOT CATERING TO ME, PERSONALLY???" :byodood:

It reminds me of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JlkJJygIoVU&t=1268s