Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Actually it's very smart that Bethesda was showing us what fascist capitalism does. That's why there's only one bar one gun shop one clothes shop and one medical Bay

Game of the year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

deep dish peat moss posted:

Personally I didn't interpret it as clever writing, I interpreted it as Todd Howard and co. not wanting a game to be too critical of big corporations because it might hurt their feelings. Pretty much the same thing that (I assume) happened with Outer Worlds - Obsidian set out to create a world that was critical of corporations but then had to ruin it all when Take Two didn't like anything being critical of giant corporations, so it turned into "well actually both sides are equally bad and the corporations are more beneficial to society than the people"

This is also a possibility. They might not have been clever so much as lazy, even though the end effect is that it tricks folks into thinking the UC is less cutthroat. We'll probably not get an answer as to which it is either since they're still heavily into hyping up failures of the design to make up for the increasing discontent over the blandness of so much stuff.

See the whole "Space is meant to be empty and boring!" thing as an example

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

So what's the story about people making swastika ships that can't be targeted by AI or some poo poo

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

sysdef won't fire on your swastika ship when you rob a freighter, because they recognize it as one of theirs

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bad Purchase posted:

sysdef won't fire on your swastika ship when you rob a freighter, because they recognize it as one of theirs

I lold

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Enemies only ever fire at your ship's "center mass" except center mass is defined as like, the central coordinate of the ship builder, so people are just putting down structural scaffolding or something in the center and then building the actual ship off to the side, which means enemies miss all of their shots.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Corvo Bianco is the best player house in any game ever and I love that a not-insignificant part of the last DLC is getting Geralt a bomb rear end Vinyard that he can kick his feet up at and enjoy a long overdue retirement.

My only complaint about Blood and Wine is that it's impossible to resolve the main quest line in a compelling manner without your boy Regis getting screwed.

The Loin King
Feb 16, 2017

Check out this goddamned cat
Fascosm bad

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

im playing witcher 3

sorry to hear that buddy :(

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

deep dish peat moss posted:

Enemies only ever fire at your ship's "center mass" except center mass is defined as like, the central coordinate of the ship builder, so people are just putting down structural scaffolding or something in the center and then building the actual ship off to the side, which means enemies miss all of their shots.

Lol

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
They called the generic space enemies spacers.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

sorry to hear that buddy :(

people freaking love this game

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Starfailed

Barfield

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

smoobles posted:

Starfailed

Barfield

Drinking is the past, present, and future of humanity

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

You can't even sit at a bar. The chairs won't let you sit!!!!!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

You can't even sit at a bar. The chairs won't let you sit!!!!!

The engine is actually so next-gen we forgot how that works

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

MrQwerty posted:

The engine is actually so next-gen we forgot how that works

It's so ahead of the curve they forgot how load times work, kept nothing in memory, and made it so that even some SSD's lag like gently caress when playing it. Truly a gem of it's era.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

The desyncs running off a spinning drive are really astounding. It's ok tho, Todd addressed the optimization issues by suggesting I just might need to spend $2000 on my 3 year old computer cuz it's too old to run a Bethesda game.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Archonex posted:

It's so ahead of the curve they forgot how load times work, kept nothing in memory, and made it so that even some SSD's lag like gently caress when playing it. Truly a gem of it's era.

I haven't experienced this, it's been super fluid for me.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

MrQwerty posted:

The desyncs running off a spinning drive are really astounding. It's ok tho, Todd addressed the optimization issues by suggesting I just might need to spend $2000 on my 3 year old computer cuz it's too old to run a Bethesda game.

i get those running off a ssd too lol. epic

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i get those running off a ssd too lol. epic

Yeah I've heard enough that I just stopped playing it rather than deleting cyberpunk and moving starfield over to my m.2

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cousin Todd will know what to do

Buy an $300 1TB NVME drive, a new $300 AM5 Processor, 64 GB of DDR5 AND A 7800 XT

To play a game revolving around shooting soulless space suits

Archonex
May 2, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

It's been an issue since release. Some folks have trouble even with a SSD due to the wonky and counterintuitive way they handle loading assets.

We even had some folks in the main thread mention that a SSD still has slowdown. Turns out the game has a lot of optimization issues on the back end on top of everything else and even without the streaming assets issue it's making multiple wildly inefficient calls regarding showing the graphics in the first place.

I can't find it now but there was a huge thread on reddit from a bunch of people who release software for some of the stuff they used going into how badly they appear to have handled things. Of course they came out with their report around the time after Todd Howard publicly said there are no issues and people need to upgrade their computer.

All of this also ignores that the game's no Crysis tier benchmark setter. The big problem with optimization is that they did it poorly. Even a HDD ought to be able to run what they've got but they did things in a way that just seems to put a lot of stress on a SSD and as a result pretty much discombobulates a spinning hard drive

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Sep 19, 2023

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Starfield looks like poo poo. Everyone is dressed in perfectly ironed uniforms like star trek. The aesthetic is boring as gently caress. NASA rear end boy scouts everywehre. Give me some grit in my sci fi.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

smoobles posted:

Starfield looks like poo poo. Everyone is dressed in perfectly ironed uniforms like star trek. The aesthetic is boring as gently caress. NASA rear end boy scouts everywehre. Give me some grit in my sci fi.

Sir, have you gone to the space cowboy planet yet? I assure you, we have all the rootin tootin grit you could ever want. We even built our capital in a muddy field, the way god intended. :blastu:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

MrQwerty posted:

Eh TBQH if you are running stuff off spinning drives in 2023 you got little room to complain.

SSDs are cheap, a 1TB drive is like $50, and sata ssds are fine for games if you have limited NVMe slots. You don't need some ultimate performance drive, just a ssd.

CommieGIR posted:

It's this thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbaYeiAr_30

Occasional small stutters, not constant lag. It's not a huge deal, but the fact this is caused by poor code that isn't queuing reads is kinda yikes.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

Klyith posted:

Eh TBQH if you are running stuff off spinning drives in 2023 you got little room to complain.

SSDs are cheap, a 1TB drive is like $50, and sata ssds are fine for games if you have limited NVMe slots. You don't need some ultimate performance drive, just a ssd.

Yeah but I'm broke right now and I'm not going to delete a game I actually like off my ssd for a free game that runs like poo poo even off a nvme drive

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

load times have been incredibly fast for me even on ultra settings, it’s probably the one silver lining of using an old engine and crappy last gen character and terrain models

i do have it installed on an ssd, but like, my 2 Tb drive was ~$150 and i bought it during the pandemic shortage before prices fell. if you haven’t thrown your spinners in the pacific ocean yet, it’s high time to do so.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Bad Purchase posted:

load times have been incredibly fast for me even on ultra settings, it’s probably the one silver lining of using an old engine and crappy last gen character and terrain models

i do have it installed on an ssd, but like, my 2 Tb drive was ~$150 and i bought it during the pandemic shortage before prices fell. if you haven’t thrown your spinners in the pacific ocean yet, it’s high time to do so.

Your user name and post go very well together. This game is like 69.99 and it's not worth dropping another $50 or more on it unless you have some serious issues with other software.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Sep 19, 2023

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Archonex posted:

Your user name and post go very well together. This game is like 69.99 and it's not worth dropping another $50 or more on it unless you have some serious issues with other software.

Spinning hard drives are the rabbit ears of computer tech now

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

if you aren’t running your current gen games off an ssd in 2023 woe unto you, it’s one thing todd howard is absolutely right about

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
Runs great on PS5

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If it can't be played from my 10 years old USB external drive, it's not worth playing

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cousin Todd will get me an SSD so I can play starfield citizen

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I'm just gonna keep playing games that aren't culminations of all the worst aspects of Bethesda games on my ssd

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

They called the generic space enemies spacers.

What the gently caress even IS a "Spacer" anyway?

Like I know what a Pirate is, I get why they'd want to shoot me on sight. I get what a Mercenary is, though why THEY would want to shoot me on sight is a bit more contextual. I can eventually figure out what the deal is with the Snake God Cultists or whatever, there's lore about those guys, and I get why they wanna murder infidels or whatever.

But who the hell are these Spacer guys? Are they like the Reavers from Firefly where they succumbed to ~space madness~ and just went indiscriminately kill-crazy?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Spacers are just unaffiliated pirates effectively.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Ah generic pirates. Glad this Goty Game has <GENERIC ENEMY LEVEL 5> to grind down endlessly

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the population of the settled systems is about 80% pirates, based on how many of them i’ve encountered compared to the number of people i’ve seen in cities. and that’s before considering that some of the people living in cities may secretly be pirates.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Spacers are just unaffiliated pirates effectively.

Oh, so just Space Banditos, I see.

Also their name sounds a little bit like a really uncreative futuristic racial slur.

"Goddamn Spacers, they ruined space! :bahgawd:"