Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

Yeah but that's in the field stuff.

yeah i ment to contrast it with sam. like every person wants in sam pants and calls her the most beautiful woman etc but its done in an honestly creepy way, where as its just off handed and not thought about that of course daniel has a girl on every planet.

also every ex / bf / person interested in her is a psycho except for the mirror episodes where so far shes always married to jack. they have also been hinting at the fact they like each other but its against regulations.

like the 2nd worst episode is specifically a pretty good episodes until she has to interact with her ex fiance. the heart of darkness rip off in s1. the entire episode is ruined because they just go against everything they have shown you to make her essentially powerless and unable to stop her ex fiance despite literally two scenes earlier marching in to stop him personally risking the mission.

snergle fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Sep 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

yeah i ment to contrast it with sam. like every person wants in sam pants and calls her the most beautiful woman etc but its done in an honestly creepy way, where as its just off handed and not thought about that of course daniel has a girl on every planet.

Daniel dying and loving;

Sam's got Pete

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

We don't know what exactly Daniel Jackson gets up to offscreen, but we know he ascends with his clothing, but always returns to Earth naked.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Tunicate posted:

We don't know what exactly Daniel Jackson gets up to offscreen, but we know he ascends with his clothing, but always returns to Earth naked.

That's just the ancients loving with him for rejecting their energy club. What I'm saying is his lung is partly made out of pant leg.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

redshirt posted:

As an easy example of the inherent sexism/racism/isms of our institutions, I give you the fact that Sam gets hit on by almost every new professional colleague she works with. Name them, they probably tried to hit on Sam. Aliens, Diplomats, NID Agents, etc.

Now maybe its a TV thing, but how many romantic encounters did Jack have? Less than 6?

The best one was the love... Square? Jack and Daniel had with the host and symbiote of the Weird Science tok'ra lady.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rappaport posted:

The best one was the love... Square? Jack and Daniel had with the host and symbiote of the Weird Science tok'ra lady.

It's a... love triangle in a complex field.

Edit: No, no... It's a Schrodinger's love triangle

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

I feel like there's some good banter about Tokra relationships when one half does like the other party. Would be hard to not make creepy it's a fine line but it's wider than the touch stones in Universe. loving creepy rape stones.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

snergle posted:

also im starting to realize all the "historically non white" races gods are gould but the white supremists gods arent. im sure its unintentional but like mix it up. like have a gould be pretending to be jesus and some cool hindu poo poo be another asgardian race for all i know t hats gonna happen soon though. im honestly suprised with how many iron age civilizations they havent run into a dark age europe one.

There's at least one episode you're coming up to (I think) where the natives are like super serious Christian analogues. Which is pretty fun, they're arguably some of the worst non-advanced natives they come across.

Later seasons kind of lean into that.

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I always interpreted the Ori to be the Christian caricatures in the series.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

EvilHawk posted:

There's at least one episode you're coming up to (I think) where the natives are like super serious Christian analogues. Which is pretty fun, they're arguably some of the worst non-advanced natives they come across.

Later seasons kind of lean into that.

i actually just saw that one! it was kinda decent. and im guessing sokkar is the christian figure one from the spoiler post earlier. i thought i remembered the one where he was burning through the iris that daniel said he was egyptian but the closest analoge would be satan i guess he is full on satan now.

i also havent seen the ori yet im mostly wanting to see the furling since it would be the last of the 4 races. although i guess i didnt see an ancient yet either but the whole moved on from this space thing

snergle fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Sep 19, 2023

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

snergle posted:

i actually just saw that one! it was kinda decent. and im guessing sokkar is the christian figure one from the spoiler post earlier. i thought i remembered the one where he was burning through the iris that daniel said he was egyptian but the closest analoge would be satan i guess he is full on satan now.

i also havent seen the ori yet im mostly wanting to see the furling since it would be the last of the 4 races. although i guess i didnt see an ancient yet either but the whole moved on from this space thing

You won't see the Ori for several seasons

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

pixaal posted:

Would be hard to not make creepy it's a fine line but it's wider than the touch stones in Universe. loving creepy rape stones.

Even disregarding the super creepy nature of the touch stones thing and how they were used, I find it funny how often sci-fi shows come up with an interesting "oops we end up in some far flung place" premise, like universe or voyager, than really quickly just abandon it. Particular when it's to do with being with limited resources and/or in a far off location unable to contact others.

Voyager looking directly at you here. Atlantis at least paid lip service to it a bit, and would show that yeah there were logistic issues and what not with supplies and going back and forth and what not if your base is in another galaxy.

Like sometimes it just feels like the writers don't like the entire premise of the show and just try and write their way out of it as quickly as possible.

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Sep 20, 2023

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

iirc after Demons they got a big backlash from all the air force personnel Christians tuning in and they steered clear of it for the most part.
The weirdest religion/ethnicity mismatch to my recollection is easily in Learning Curve. Just the pastiest Aztecs ever.
Fake edit: apparently the Aztec/Maya (ambiguity not mine) descendants, which include Tollans and 2 presumably book-only peoples, were saved from Goa'uld enslavement by the Giant Aliens by means of crystal skull?? There's fuckin Greek columns at the Tollan gate :psyduck:
real edit: it also ruins the notion of how off-world humans/Jaffa speak English as laid out in Mobius, but that was a pretty poor attempt at explaining anyway

ChairmanMauzer posted:

I always interpreted the Ori to be the Christian caricatures in the series.

I always interpreted Ori as more of a white Islam kind of religion in the sense that they are super fervent and not as hypocritical (though Crusade also does away with that notion somewhat if Michael Ironside's occupation was also found amongst actual believers). That plus, you know, it was the 00's

e2: also Jack creeps on a showering Sam while invisible in 200? Dunno how canon that is as it's 200 but clearly everyone's behaviour was mainly informed by the 90s and not updated since

Leandros fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Sep 20, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

One of my favorite small things in the show was Carter going from Captain to Major to LT. Colonel.

Though, even this seems understated given how many times she saved the world and stuff.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

dr_rat posted:

Voyager looking directly at you here. Atlantis at least paid lip service to it a bit, and would show that yeah there were logistic issues and what not with supplies and going back and forth and what not if your base is in another galaxy.

Like sometimes it just feels like the writers don't like the entire premise of the show and just try and write their way out of it as quickly as possible.

Voyager crossed with new BSG. I wonder if a pitch with that kind of content existed at the time and what we got was the watered down result.

They could have gone semi-serial with it - they could make consequences permanent, but in the background. Damage to the ship, supply issues, losing/gaining crew members, modifications to the ship, upgrades to the systems, personal relationships/skills evolving, the works.

The actual content of the episodes don't have to be super dark or non-trek, it's just that the state of the ship and personnel would have been a background element. They can still go explore weird space penomena, get involved with alien politics, rescue derelict ships, and meet their mirror selves from a quantum inverse-polarity time loop resonance field effect. Letting things naturally evolve could have provided some more motivation/flavor to episodes while giving some of the mcguffins much more of a reason to exist

vvv: Neat, I haven't actually watched Enterprise; I let ds9 be my finale for tv trek

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Sep 21, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

Voyager crossed with new BSG. I wonder if a pitch with that kind of content existed at the time and what we got was the watered down result.

They could have gone semi-serial with it - they could make consequences permanent, but in the background. Damage to the ship, supply issues, losing/gaining crew members, modifications to the ship, upgrades to the systems, personal relationships/skills evolving, the works.

The actual content of the episodes don't have to be super dark or non-trek, it's just that the state of the ship and personnel would have been a background element. They can still go explore weird space penomena, get involved with alien politics, rescue derelict ships, and meet their mirror selves from a quantum inverse-polarity time loop resonance field effect. Letting things naturally evolve could have provided some more motivation/flavor to episodes while giving some of the mcguffins much more of a reason to exist

Enterprise is great for this tbh

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
SG1 was the perfect framework to understand the motivations and general doctorine regarding Air Force Expeditionary Forces. The P90 is the coolest motherfuckin gun in the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

SG1 was the perfect framework to understand the motivations and general doctorine regarding Air Force Expeditionary Forces. The P90 is the coolest motherfuckin gun in the universe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjlCVW_ouL8

Can you summarize? Is it the line about weapons of terror versus weapons of war?

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Leandros posted:

Fake edit: apparently the Aztec/Maya (ambiguity not mine) descendants, which include Tollans

"Tollan" is an ancient Mesoamerican word but the Tollans' culture is apparently Greco-Roman in derivation; "curia" and "triad" are Latin terms and "archon" is Greek. I'm not sure a whole lot can be consistently determined about their origins, ultimately.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

redshirt posted:

Can you summarize? Is it the line about weapons of terror versus weapons of war?

We travel through portals to places we barely understand and give gifts to our new best friends, people we shot last season.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Sentient Data posted:

Sounds like this is also the rewatch thread now. Today's episode is the pilot!

In addition to not giving you any screenshots or the correct name, I will also offer you a compete lack of details because I'm not looking anything up.

Go watch the episode and report back. We're doing one episode a day, and feel free to be spoilerific since this is a general megathread after all

Cousin Todd posted:

I gotta say I slightly preferred sg Atlantis, but only slightly.

I'm excited to rewatch!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

We travel through portals to places we barely understand and give gifts to our new best friends, people we shot last season.

I don't recall if they ever accepted the guns.

Also, freaking Goa'uld.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

KirbyKhan posted:

I'm excited to rewatch!

I've been rewatching parts here and there because Comet TV has a 4 hour SG1 block during the day and I turn it on when WFH.

I miss quite a bit, but I will reschedule Zoom calls for important episodes.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

McSpanky posted:

"Tollan" is an ancient Mesoamerican word but the Tollans' culture is apparently Greco-Roman in derivation; "curia" and "triad" are Latin terms and "archon" is Greek. I'm not sure a whole lot can be consistently determined about their origins, ultimately.

Writers probably went with greco-roman because it sounds old and pronouncing anything in ancient mesoamerican languages is hell on a native english speaker.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
holy poo poo. when nanuk took off his mask to reveal that he is apothis after killing binar that was such a hype moment not quite jack with the asgard but definatly equal to the reveal that the asgard are the greys.

that was a really good two parter to. they showed apothis escaping at the end but not sokkar so i suspect since they tend to show the bad guys escaping if they live then sokkar is probably dead. cant wait to see where it goes from here.

snergle fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 21, 2023

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Part of the show's fun I feel is that humanity does actually make a sizable dent in the Goa'uld pretty early on. Like maybe halfway through the show's run they not only have permanently altered the power dynamics in the universe but have exterminated hundreds, thousands of goa'uld if we count larvae too.

I can absolutely understand why the Asgard were so drat impressed with them. Like this tiny little species who dont even have energy weapons, their weapons fling metal at the enemy, who haven't even got to interplanetary colonisation yet, is suddenly keeping the impossibly overwhelming goa'uld force on the backfoot after 2000+ years of goa'uld domination, all within a handful of months - years. wowee.

They barely have a space program but somehow they managed to blow up Apophis' invasion force?? lmao imagine reading that internal communique — it's probably the first time asgard internal security has experienced a leak in millenia hahaha

I mean sure part of that speaks to insurgency tactics but still!

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Sep 21, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Part of the show's fun I feel is that humanity does actually make a sizable dent in the Goa'uld pretty early on. Like maybe halfway through the show's run they not only have permanently altered the power dynamics in the universe but have exterminated hundreds, thousands of goa'uld if we count larvae too.

I can absolutely understand why the Asgard were so drat impressed with them. Like this tiny little species who dont even have energy weapons, their weapons fling metal at the enemy, who haven't even got to interplanetary colonisation yet, is suddenly keeping the impossibly overwhelming goa'uld force on the backfoot after 2000+ years of goa'uld domination, all within a handful of months - years. wowee.

They barely have a space program but somehow they managed to blow up Apophis' invasion force?? lmao imagine reading that internal communique — it's probably the first time asgard internal security has experienced a leak in millenia hahaha

That's the core of the show's fantasy: What if the US Military could kick rear end across the galaxy? And do actual good by liberating people from a clearly evil oppression.

But what really sells the show is the characters. The core 4 of course, but a variety of other characters. Hammond is a big one, and Doc Frazier, but small characters too like Walter and Siler. And then all the recurring aliens - Thor, Jacob, Ba'al, etc.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Poor Teal'c. He finally gets to live off base, and immediately gets embroiled in a domestic abuse case. Then has to move back to base.

Speaking of Teal'c, he must get paid, right? He has regular clothes, obtains donuts and pizza, has many candles.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

redshirt posted:

Poor Teal'c. He finally gets to live off base, and immediately gets embroiled in a domestic abuse case. Then has to move back to base.

Speaking of Teal'c, he must get paid, right? He has regular clothes, obtains donuts and pizza, has many candles.

"This man has saved the planet more times than I can count, you get him some candles when he asks for them!" - Hammond of Texas, implied scene

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
two almost back to back nid episodes one where sam needs mayborns help to save planet and the other where jack infiltrates nid to find the sgc mole. i called the mole angle the second mayborn showed up though.

but i was so annoyed out of jacks shift in character that it really shows how much you end up liking these characters. braytack not being ready to die to walk the path and going back to tealc outside in the desala episode was cool to. i suspect desala is a furling or ancient though. im leaning towards ancient because leaving this space is almost exactly how ascension to an energy being is described in b5.

snergle fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 21, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

two almost back to back nid episodes one where sam needs mayborns help to save planet and the other where jack infiltrates nid to find the sgc mole. i called the mole angle the second mayborn showed up though.

but i was so annoyed out of jacks shift in character that it really shows how much you end up liking these characters. braytack not being ready to die to walk the path and going back to tealc outside in the desala episode was cool to. i suspect desala is a furling or ancient though. im leaning towards ancient because leaving this space is almost exactly how ascension to an energy being is described in b5.

Was the Sam/Mayborne one where there's a "foothold" situation? If so, that is such a great Sam episode.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

alexandriao posted:

in 3 seasons they meet and kill apothis hathor and seth sokkar and meet herutor chronos yu and nirrti. they have an almost 50% kill rate on named goulds they meet thats preety good.

yeah they didnt kill apothis sokkar did but sokkar also rezzed him and hes a problem again

redshirt posted:

Was the Sam/Mayborne one where there's a "foothold" situation? If so, that is such a great Sam episode.

it was infact that episode and it was a great episode.

snergle fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 21, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

it was infact that episode and it was a great episode.

"Maybourne, you are an *idiot* every day of the week. Why couldn't you have just taken one day off?"

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

snergle posted:

soherutor

:confused: Heru'ur?

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

i had typed out sokkar herutor and then ment to erase sokkar to move him to the dead pile only got part of it =x

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Rank your top 3 Goa'uld:

1 Ba'al
2 Zipcana
3 Tanith

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
out of the ones ive seen apothis sokar seth zipacana looks to much like musk for me to like him

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!
the replicators are loving lego spiders lol.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

the replicators are loving lego spiders lol.

Replicators are the Borg done right. No organics. Just your technology.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

It always bothers me how the replicators/borg type enemies get humanized after a while. Like the borg queen or whatever, I didn’t enjoy that arc in voyager.

Another good example is the white walkers in game of thrones. Cool mindless enemy, but then they had to ruin it with the king guy.

That’s why I like the tyranids in 40k. They’re just mindless husks, they don’t need an agenda or motivations. They just destroy and replicate, and are inevitable.