Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
I played Payday 2 briefly a long time ago and my favorite thing was that ability that allowed me to shoot my gun to keep the map suppressed which allowed the group to stay stealthed.

Is that in Payday 3?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

George Sex - REAL posted:

I played Payday 2 briefly a long time ago and my favorite thing was that ability that allowed me to shoot my gun to keep the map suppressed which allowed the group to stay stealthed.

Is that in Payday 3?

Do you mean shooting it to get civilians to keep their heads down instead of running? I think you can but in a functional sense you'll often just spook a civilian on the other side of the map who will then call the cops.

Incidentally I saw the movie Heat on the front page of Netflix yesterday so I guess people are gearing up for P3. Still a great film, inspired so many things. Payday is a clear one but the loose cannon at the start is so obviously Lynch from Kane and Lynch that they should have paid licensing rights.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Payday 1 pretty blatantly rips off the score and dialogue from the Heat bank scene for its bank heist, as well.

Also the entire concept of the street shootout for Heat Street.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh I guess the early access starts today if you preordered the expensive editions of PD3. Curious to hear any early reactions of anyone preordered!

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Just a reminder that P3 is going to be on Xbox Game Pass day 1 for those who already have that.

Looking at a couple streams it seems to be a lot less "sit on a drill and wait" which is a good sign. Five levels to start is pretty anemic but if they are long levels that should be okay.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

explosivo posted:

Oh I guess the early access starts today if you preordered the expensive editions of PD3. Curious to hear any early reactions of anyone preordered!

One of my friends preordered the gold version and took a screenshot of the game showing a network connection error within the hour at least one person said "stfu you mongrel dog" in response to having trouble even getting to the matchmaking screen.

So...

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

explosivo posted:

I'll report back soon enough. The beta last week was very payday esque, so I'm pretty sure it's going to be more of the same cop clickin content.

(this is a good thing, and I cannot wait for this install to finish)

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

CuddleCryptid posted:

Five levels to start is pretty anemic but if they are long levels that should be okay.

According to the heist menu, 8 levels to start, actually.

I haven't played much, just the last beta and now the tutorials but have enjoyed what I've played. Really feels like a refinement on PD2 in the best ways so far.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Wintermutant posted:

According to the heist menu, 8 levels to start, actually.

I haven't played much, just the last beta and now the tutorials but have enjoyed what I've played. Really feels like a refinement on PD2 in the best ways so far.

Ah okay, that is more reasonable imo.

And agreed on the second part. In many ways it felt like a return to form on PD1 with more "let's steal money out of this bank" and less "we need to take the four scrolls of Zyarhnepth so the Crime Illuminati can't destroy the world". Even the design of the cops is less goofy; the Bulldozer looks like a tall, beefy dude with a lot of armor on instead of the absolute hulking monstrosities. Even basic QOL stuff like unlimited zipties help a lot, especially for solo stealth. Im usually all for more unrealistic parts of games but again payday is at its best when it's Heat: The Game and not Borderlands.

The TTK was a little jacked up in the beta but that's probably due to running default guns. I imagine the new armor system is going to be hell to balance too but we'll see.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
my memory's hazy because this was like 15 years ago at this point or some poo poo but i'm pretty certain PD1 launched with like 5 or 6 heists and even in that context people mostly just replayed First World Bank a thousand times because most of the other heists were too difficult.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Coolguye posted:

my memory's hazy because this was like 15 years ago at this point or some poo poo but i'm pretty certain PD1 launched with like 5 or 6 heists and even in that context people mostly just replayed First World Bank a thousand times because most of the other heists were too difficult.

The same happened with PD2 with the bank and Jewelry stores but that was more because it was easy to stealth or just rip quickly and get out.

Looking it up the maps were first world bank, heat street, panic room, green bridge, diamond heist, and slaughterhouse. So six maps overall, with Diamond Heist probably being the biggest risk/reward endgame one.

I thought Counterfiet was PD2 but I guess it was PD1 after all.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Sep 18, 2023

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

yeah i definitely remember people basically trying heat street like 4 times, getting their asses kicked 3 of those times, and then after they got the win on the 4th time they never touched it again

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Now I'm wondering how many people did Undercover outside of achievements. Because not getting the coveted $25 million payday might have been seen as annoying for back then.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh yeah I forgot about unlimited zipties in the beta, that along with AI being able to hold bags you throw at them are two small but very welcome changes. Looking forward to getting the crew back together again to play this poo poo :getin:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

along with AI being able to hold bags you throw at them are two small but very welcome changes.

You could do that in PD2 as well, although I think they added it in later.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Coolguye posted:

yeah i definitely remember people basically trying heat street like 4 times, getting their asses kicked 3 of those times, and then after they got the win on the 4th time they never touched it again

Yeah at least during whatever span of time I played it was just Heat Street that people actively avoided. They would also inevitably gravitate towards First World, but in my experience on a good night people would roll through most if not all of the other stock heists.

Like I think out of all of 'em I got sick of Panic Room the most.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

CuddleCryptid posted:

You could do that in PD2 as well, although I think they added it in later.

Definitely not in the first two years

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

padijun posted:

Definitely not in the first two years

I looked online and saw a lot of posts about how to do it around 2017 so yeah, seems like it got added around 5 years in. Also payday 2 is old as poo poo, I didn't realize it had ten years in it by now.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy

John Murdoch posted:

Yeah at least during whatever span of time I played it was just Heat Street that people actively avoided. They would also inevitably gravitate towards First World, but in my experience on a good night people would roll through most if not all of the other stock heists.

Like I think out of all of 'em I got sick of Panic Room the most.

It's been a literal decade since I last played PD1, but I still somewhat remember this.

FWB was the most popular for sure
Heat Street was avoided, I think because it was the most difficult one (at least, it felt that way in the beginning)
Panic Room had like, the most steps that you couldn't trust pubbies to follow.

I don't remember much about Green Bridge and Slaughterhouse. Diamond Heist was pretty cool but stealth was kinda janky for pubs.

I miss how 'cinematic' the first game was. The second was a blast to play but the first game had some suspense to it based off of the in-game dialogue. I still remember Bain nervously trying to crack the diamond heist safe and the payday gang urgently yelling at him to figure it out in the midst of a firefight.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Green Bridge was the one where it was a rainy nighttime map and you had to saw open prisoner transports to get a guy and then Fulton him out, and iirc was one of those maps where you wonder how the payday gang has billions of dollars but can't manage to hire a halfway competent pilot who constantly misses his target, both in grabbing balloons and dropping supplies.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Green Bridge was the one where it was a rainy nighttime map and you had to saw open prisoner transports to get a guy and then Fulton him out, and iirc was one of those maps where you wonder how the payday gang has billions of dollars but can't manage to hire a halfway competent pilot who constantly misses his target, both in grabbing balloons and dropping supplies.

It's also the map where you begin to wonder how they get away with it, considering before the heist starts your guys just casually blow the whole drat bridge up with people sorta on it.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

widespread posted:

It's also the map where you begin to wonder how they get away with it, considering before the heist starts your guys just casually blow the whole drat bridge up with people sorta on it.

I mean if you're talking about that then it was apparent from go with First World Bank where they all went into a vault with a single passage in and out and still somehow managed to get out alive.

LackinPants!
Mar 25, 2007
He actually isn't
For anyone like me who enjoys gambling with launch day buys: Is the unlock system for gear currently borked akin to the beta?

I can buy new weapons, attachments, etc as I'm leveling up alongside skills but it seems I can't use or buy new gear unlocks anywhere. These include flashbangs, throwable cameras and, most importantly, the higher armor tiers. I'm at level 12 and can't choose the new armor/flashbangs and don't see a way to buy them unless I missed something obvious.

I gather it's probably a launch issue but don't really feel like wading into the Steam forums to ask.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I remember Diamond Heist having a thing where you could still fail stealth right at the very last stealth step and it'd go loud immediately. It was a good thing that PD1 stealth wasn't a hard line like it was in 2.

The majority of my time with PD1 was after I'd started getting bored of PD2 and just booted up 1 for a change of pace circa 2015 but I remember playing FWB and Diamond Heist the most with pubbies. FWB because Overdrill was easy for people grinding levels, and more often than not you'd have to commit to an Overdrill every time you played that map, and Diamond Heist because it was cool as hell. Echoing other folks saying Heat Street was by far the least played. I think I got my Overkill completion with goons and just never played it again.

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

LackinPants! posted:

For anyone like me who enjoys gambling with launch day buys: Is the unlock system for gear currently borked akin to the beta?

I can buy new weapons, attachments, etc as I'm leveling up alongside skills but it seems I can't use or buy new gear unlocks anywhere. These include flashbangs, throwable cameras and, most importantly, the higher armor tiers. I'm at level 12 and can't choose the new armor/flashbangs and don't see a way to buy them unless I missed something obvious.

I gather it's probably a launch issue but don't really feel like wading into the Steam forums to ask.

Not just you, happening to me and my group too; I saw a comment that said the unlock requirements are 10 levels higher than they show, which seems to track judging from when we unlocked the armor bag, but I haven't hit 18 yet so are unable to confirm the same with the armor.

edit: just unlocked medium armor at lvl 14

Wintermutant fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Sep 19, 2023

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In payday 1 a few things really skewed completion stats:

1. By the end of updates, the overdrill gave the same XP/"reputation" payout on any difficulty- and that payout is around 1/12th of the level cap. It's so much faster to level up that way, it's absurd. It's also the most controllable leveling situation for getting the achievements that require gaining a level in some specific context.
2. Only First World Bank and Heat Street are available to play on Easy difficulty. The screwy difficulty of payday the heist makes playing on Easy very appealing.
3. Heat Street's design (requiring the player to run forward into a large number of enemy spawn points several times) and coding (it uses a different enemy assault code than most other heists) make it much harder than First World Bank (and the other heists too).

Generally, the nature of these games is that players will optimize their play extremely fast; this is what killed payday the heist after just one DLC, and is why payday 2 launched with such an aggressive, grindy treadmill of content.

For reference, Diamond Heist has a chance for the codes to get into the loot vault to fail, setting off an alarm, on any difficulty- this breaks stealth. Otherwise you can stealth all the way into the vault and only have to wait for/get to the escape chopper to leave.

LackinPants! posted:

Yep, it's a launch issue, and it's inconsistent- something about communication with starbreeze's telemetry it seems.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 26, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

A few things I noticed playing today

1. Important to know, you can drop your Overkill weapon to pull out your normal guns, at which point the meter starts building again.

2. Stealth is more forgiving this time, you usually have a pretty decent amount of time before you someone actually calls the cops, and cameras can sometimes trigger a guard to investigate rather than just calling immediately.

3. There's a weird "puff" hitconfirm when you hit armor and more of a crack for headshots.

4. You can do things like pick locks, open doors, steal codes, and so on while still in casing mode.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I mean it still seems a bit like,. "I wonder if humans taste good.jpg" but that was basically my favorite way to play PD2 so :shrug:

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mendrian posted:

I mean it still seems a bit like,. "I wonder if humans taste good.jpg" but that was basically my favorite way to play PD2 so :shrug:

yeah optimize all you want I'll still try to see if they ever run out of cops

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Whoever decided grenade should be the old throw bag key is a demon from hell

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
I mean, it's not Payday if you never accidentally throw a grenade.

ten_twentyfour
Jan 24, 2008

Phoix posted:

I was doing the nightclub heist with randoms and we were casing the joint. I stupidly pressed the G key forgetting I was already masked up and threw a grenade that alerted the entire map. I quit for the night

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Phoix posted:

There were a *lot* of grenades thrown into the thermite pit during the beta. It became a thing where I'd see someone do it, console them saying I do the same, and everyone else would be agreeing.

It's hard on the muscle memory but it helps if you teach yourself to hold the button down when throwing because if you hit grenade by accident then you can cancel it out. It makes sense why it was changed though, since grenades aren't an afterthought in this game they put it on a key that makes more sense for people new to the series.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Since they're using a modern engine I'm hoping you can stagger cops by throwing a bag at them or throw bags off the roof onto them for damage

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I am so glad that I try to bind my keys the same for all fps' as much as possible. We are all old with old muscle memory that makes things difficult.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

FAUXTON posted:

Since they're using a modern engine I'm hoping you can stagger cops by throwing a bag at them or throw bags off the roof onto them for damage

goomba stomping cops like god intended

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
the AI generated art in the art heist is dumb lol. if they're really that hard up that they cant afford to pay someone to draw poo poo, let me make some neat looking garbage using a thousand tools and filters in GIMP or photoshop or whatever.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Korean Boomhauer posted:

the AI generated art in the art heist is dumb lol. if they're really that hard up that they cant afford to pay someone to draw poo poo, let me make some neat looking garbage using a thousand tools and filters in GIMP or photoshop or whatever.

Really? This is so damned lame. How many paintings could they have possibly needed to fill the level that they couldn't just license some DeviantArt paintings and run with it.

Or as you said put all the paintings in a folder you can edit, although that would result in a pubbie going "I'm downed over by the painting of Hatsune Miku getting [redacted]"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It is lame, yeah. Making twenty 4x3 canvases that have thematic meaning would take longer and require more work but I don't care, do it yourself or I won't buy your game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I thought the art in the art heist in payday 2 was pretty bad art but at least it was by an artist and made sense together.