Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Read the newsletters occasionally whenever I think im too dour. John really has a way with prose that makes you feel like superman in comparison

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

crepeface posted:

the Gabon election observer stories were great :allears:

great episode

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

wolfs posted:

Wait, they had an episode on Naipaul? The Trinidadian guy? What #?

also how often are newsletters i signed up to the patreon a few months ago and only got one email - with the podcast rss link
The last handful are:

Newsletter 138 (Assassinations) - Sept 13
Newsletter 137 (Pat Robertson, Haiti) - July 9
Newsletter 136 (Found Money) - Jun 28
Newsletter 135 (Civil War Arson) - May 12

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Read the newsletters occasionally whenever I think im too dour. John really has a way with prose that makes you feel like superman in comparison

I'm halfway through his autobiography and John would have been a goon if he was born in the 80s instead of the 50s.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Beside episodes 308&309, are there any episodes they talk about Yugoslavia, Kosovo, Bosnia etc?
On a big kick about the stuff. Keep trying to find more stuff.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Digital Jedi posted:

Beside episodes 308&309, are there any episodes they talk about Yugoslavia, Kosovo, Bosnia etc?
On a big kick about the stuff. Keep trying to find more stuff.

Do you listen to those guests podcast, The Empire Never Ended? It's probably exactly what you'd want in terms of Balkan deep dives.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

wolfs posted:

Wait, they had an episode on Naipaul? The Trinidadian guy? What #?

also how often are newsletters i signed up to the patreon a few months ago and only got one email - with the podcast rss link

I think they might have to do something manually to add you to the list so reach out to them through patreon if you're not getting them

but first check your spam folder because gmail really, really seems to hate the newsletters

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Do you listen to those guests podcast, The Empire Never Ended? It's probably exactly what you'd want in terms of Balkan deep dives.

I haven't actually. I was going to search their catalog and low and behold they have lots!! So now I will be listening

edit: Oh yea this is looking great. I needed another podcast catalog to go through and this seems perfect

Digital Jedi has issued a correction as of 01:40 on Sep 19, 2023

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
It's ftw

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Empire Never Ended is really great. It's a massive resource on all the biggest freaks & geeks of worldwide fascism. It's about time they did an episode on Bandera.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Empire Never Ended is really great. It's a massive resource on all the biggest freaks & geeks of worldwide fascism. It's about time they did an episode on Bandera.

I feel like a crazy person for how much I talk about it.

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

the newsletters come out semi-regularly. there was a new one about assassinations on the 13th. I asked them before if they were going to collect the newsletter in an archive for new subscribers, and Mark told me they were thinking about it but that was years ago.

if you have the rss feed then you ought to be getting the newsletters. that’s usually how the rss gets distributed in the first place. try checking your spam folder for war nerd.

I had an hour to kill so have my archive of the newsletters.

#22 - #138, with one or two missing after being eaten by gmail.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Grimson posted:

I had an hour to kill so have my archive of the newsletters.

#22 - #138, with one or two missing after being eaten by gmail.

Great work, I'll put it in the OP.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

i've felt more weird listening to it while walking into work than when i would listen to cumtown

like it's easier to explain "oh it's an awful podcast about having sex with your dad" versus "so there's this insane fascist satanist who generates nothing but drama, and it's called the order of the nine angles and"

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
it’s funny to be in the middle of a satanic pedophile panic when there are actual Nazi Satanist pedophiles running around creating inter-Nazi drama because they’re too full of themselves to not be messy bitches.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Woops. wrong thread.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

what's a good episode to start with?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

John's relationship with the woman who created the Human Terrain Project for the GWOT is extremely funny. Even in his romantic retelling, which mentions Irish poetry, the Easter Rising and the IRA in the first few paragraphs, the woman had so many red flags you have to think he's a masochist on some level.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Frosted Flake posted:

John's relationship with the woman who created the Human Terrain Project for the GWOT is extremely funny. Even in his romantic retelling, which mentions Irish poetry, the Easter Rising and the IRA in the first few paragraphs, the woman had so many red flags you have to think he's a masochist on some level.
I think we're all familiar enough with John's oeuvre to know the answer to that

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

crepeface posted:

You could probably pick out any kind of fascist figure you're interested in and know a little about and that's a good starting point.

For my money the series on Francis Parker Yockey is really good, because Yockey is now a mostly forgotten American fascist who was also a world traveled guy pulling weird espionage poo poo. He was also considered an insufferable dork at the time, even by other fascists, and was personally snubbed by Sir Oswald Moseley when he tried to get him to read his book.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
dumb name too

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Frosted Flake posted:

the who and the what?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
If you're in a mood to feel gross and hate Amerikkka, the ENE series on the CIA/Catholic ratlines for east European Nazi collaborators is a must-listen.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

the who and the what?

https://web.archive.org/web/2015080...a7dffdbb96ea75/

https://web.archive.org/web/2015080...555fb33191e6ef/

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

crepeface posted:

Starting with the David Myatt series in ep 1 is a good call

I also really like ep 85 where they review a national geographic documentary about "extremism" which is described as "what if a natgeo documentary was an agent provocateur" since it really seems like it was created in partnership with private ("private") anti-extremism NGOs to paint neo nazi groups exactly in the way they themselves would like to be seen, and doing the usual liberal NGO flattening of nazis and racists into the category of "tribalist extremism" who are intolerant of the "other", equating them with left wing radicals and islamists. The remedy of course is to label them domestic terrorists and give the security state more funding and power to surveil the general population

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

also covered in an early RWN episode, looks like #26

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

If you're in a mood to feel gross and hate Amerikkka, the ENE series on the CIA/Catholic ratlines for east European Nazi collaborators is a must-listen.

Ya starting with ep 140: the gehlen organization, then 142 and 144 about operation bloodstone, the ratlines, the intermarium and the history of the Green Berets

Leads nicely into the arc they are currently doing on the Intermarium, evola and Ukrainian fascists

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
re: TENE

the neofolk episode is very good, it's ep 184

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
the continued ambiguity that Death in June gets to enjoy makes it more understandable how easily liberals have accepted Nazis in Ukraine.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Phone posted:

You can hear the pain in Rey's voice having to talk about the stupid bullshit lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol did mark name his kid after gerry adams

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

almost certainly

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
Ahhhh it all makes sense now, he even specified "Gerry with a G"

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nikosoft posted:

Ahhhh it all makes sense now, he even specified "Gerry with a G"

that's what tipped me off. then he went into the wasp story with his PETA wife

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

You could probably pick out any kind of fascist figure you're interested in and know a little about and that's a good starting point.

For my money the series on Francis Parker Yockey is really good, because Yockey is now a mostly forgotten American fascist who was also a world traveled guy pulling weird espionage poo poo. He was also considered an insufferable dork at the time, even by other fascists, and was personally snubbed by Sir Oswald Moseley when he tried to get him to read his book.

hmm, okay.

i listened to the one after russia invaded ukraine and it was ok, but they also read out some anarchist group's statement and said what seemed like dumb things about "putin's regime"

i'll try one of the historical eps next

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

paul_soccer12 posted:

Starting with the David Myatt series in ep 1 is a good call

I also really like ep 85 where they review a national geographic documentary about "extremism" which is described as "what if a natgeo documentary was an agent provocateur" since it really seems like it was created in partnership with private ("private") anti-extremism NGOs to paint neo nazi groups exactly in the way they themselves would like to be seen, and doing the usual liberal NGO flattening of nazis and racists into the category of "tribalist extremism" who are intolerant of the "other", equating them with left wing radicals and islamists. The remedy of course is to label them domestic terrorists and give the security state more funding and power to surveil the general population

Phone posted:

thanks for the recs

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
The absolutely funniest TENE episode is the one on William Dudley Pelley, because Pelley was probably the most schizophrenic American who ever lived and he also led the closest thing the United States ever had to an organized fascist movement with the Silver Legion. He was so schizophrenic that he predicted the specific date and time for their fascist takeover, and Silver Legion members would openly admit it to newcomers, including barely undercover FBI agents.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

The absolutely funniest TENE episode is the one on William Dudley Pelley, because Pelley was probably the most schizophrenic American who ever lived and he also led the closest thing the United States ever had to an organized fascist movement with the Silver Legion. He was so schizophrenic that he predicted the specific date and time for their fascist takeover, and Silver Legion members would openly admit it to newcomers, including barely undercover FBI agents.

I really like the ones about SOPO trying to assassinate Tito in the US & Mexico and just falling asleep drunk in trees and wearing sombreros..

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

you know i thought about subscribing to TENE when they were on RWN but decided against it cuz I didn't care about the balkans that much.
happy to find they have the same morbid fascination with fascist and reactionary weirdos I do. They might deserve :10bux:'

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Zedhe Khoja posted:

you know i thought about subscribing to TENE when they were on RWN but decided against it cuz I didn't care about the balkans that much.
happy to find they have the same morbid fascination with fascist and reactionary weirdos I do. They might deserve :10bux:'

it’s the only podcast I subscribe to other than Radio War Nerd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

I am liking TENE a lot and I will admit right here right now that I like some of the garbage Nazi neofolk music