Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler

remigious posted:

Seconding this, we get a ton of mileage out of every book. It’s super easy to sign up too :)

Our area isn’t covered and it makes me so sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I just found out that my kid's friend's parents are being investigated by child services and I have no idea what to do - if anything.

The kid (M, 7) is a close school friend of my daughter - they play together all the time but their friendship is pretty rocky. We get a lot of complaints at home about M not sharing, not letting my kid play with other friends, distracting her during class by constantly whispering to her, etc - fairly usual kid stuff but definitely more negative than positive. We were planning on requesting them to be in separate classes next year to break the cycle a bit.

M generally doesn't seem like she's looked after very well. She seems happy enough but always looks grubby, has had multiple lice outbreaks (last year I heard the dad asking the teacher "what's with these white dots in her hair?" and having to be told that she needed treatment), clothes are in terrible condition, and her after school snack every day is a full size bag of lollies.

The parents are financially very well off and very work obsessed - they own a successful business, the commercial buildings it uses, plus 6 investment properties as well as the house they live in.

I've always got weird vibes from her parents socially and have been genuinely confused about a) how they are together at all and b) why they had a kid because they generally don't seem like they understand people in general, let alone children. Small talk with them is excruciating, they're just...strange. So my kid has never been to their house and we haven't had M over here.

I was happy to let the friendship die, and then I found out from another parent that Child Services has been investigating them. The school must have made a report at some stage, or maybe another parent because there were instances of them dropping M off at people's houses at 7am with no notice, picking her up way too late from playdates, and just generally pushing friendships too far.

I feel so torn because I don't want anything to do with the parents, especially now that there's obvious evidence of neglect, and our kids' friendship is rocky anyway, but M clearly needs support and friendship because her parents are terrible. I want to support her but I don't want to enable her parents' crappy behaviour by doing their job for them, if that makes sense. Ugh. The poor kid.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Brawnfire posted:

You can't hold everything!! You can't hold everything.

When I was a child in 2nd grade I was convinced if I just held in my poop long enough my body would figure it out and I would only need to pee.

I learned my lesson when my mom needed to give me an enema

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Jumpsuit posted:

I want to support her but I don't want to enable her parents' crappy behaviour by doing their job for them, if that makes sense. Ugh. The poor kid.

They're going to continue to be lovely parents whether you do things that help this child or not. Give her a chance to see that not all adults are uncaring and neglectful, showing a little compassion for this kid is likely to go a really long way.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Who calls people these days?

I got a friend who you basically have to call if you want be certain to reach him. No smart phone, not even old fashioned SMS are reliable.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Heard from school David was very upset today after a break and had an emotional episode because he had not had enough time to play with two friends. Because he spent most of his break time talking to an adult about cells and asking about them.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Is this thread ok for venting or asking for advice? Having bad experiences with my kid going into PreK. Thought he'd take to it like a fish to water, but it's more like he's drowning.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Is this thread ok for venting or asking for advice? Having bad experiences with my kid going into PreK. Thought he'd take to it like a fish to water, but it's more like he's drowning.

We are all in this crazy ride together, vent/ask away.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

It’s a place to vent / rant, without dumping into onto your partner.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Skeezy posted:

Color changing light needs to connect to the internet?

Short answer no, IIRC Hatch can be controlled locally if you're on the network (not at home, I can't test this at the moment). I don't think you have to use cloud services, but I think they only talk via WiFi (as opposed to the old ones that used bluetooth).

Long answer:

The curse of IoT.

The cheap/easy way to do remote access is via the cloud. Because any other way requires some sort of remote access to your home network, and the vast majority of people aren't savvy enough to set that up.

But most importantly:

If you're not paying for the product, you're the product. Yes, you paid for the Hatch up front, but cloud access isn't free. AWS makes bank off cloud service subscriptions, and that money is coming from Hatch every month.

So they're basically paying you (in the form of your monthly portion of cloud access) for your data. They know when you turn the hatch on, when you turn it off, how you connect to it, what programs you use, what colors you use... allll that consumer data is worth a fortune to them.

This is why major appliances come with WiFi these days. Not for your convenience, but for their data mining.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 19, 2023

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
So my oldest is 4.5, and we wanted to put him in preschool this year. I thought he'd do really well, as he's a sweet child (Very affectionate/thoughtful, tries to share and help out when he can), and we wanted to put him in our local private parish school since he'd be with many of the other parish kids he plays with.

It's been basically a disaster from day 1. I tried to get him on the bus the first day and he had a terrible experience, I thought there'd be lots of little kids on his bus but there was only 1 and he had to be held to stay on the bus. When he got to school he had a breakdown and had to be kept in the office until his grandma came to calm him down and walk him to class.

We thought preschool would be just a little more structured than his home daycare (Where he played most of the day, while having little lessons here and there), but the parish school is incredibly structured, with different activities every 20-30 minutes, and he can't seem to cope. He's been very disruptive, just wanting to go to the toys in the room and play all day. He's hit the teacher's aide, hidden under tables, having shouting matches, saying no when the teachers try to shift him, and having meltdowns. He's laid down on the gym floor in front of the whole school during an assembly with his hands in his pants (I don't think he was doing anything but I've never seen him grab himself at home, look at himself in the bathtub yes, but not just play with himself just randomly). He's tried to run out of the room multiple times when they switch to an activity he doesn't want to do. The school keeps telling us he's the only student demonstrating these behavior issues in the class and it's becoming incredibly disruptive to their day. They've basically given us 2 more weeks before they ban him from coming.

In some ways this has been a wake up call for me and the wife. At home for the past year or two we have probably been somewhat lax on expectations and discipline, not responding immediately if he ignores us to keep playing (For instance if we tell him to come to the table and he keeps playing we ignore him until dinner is about to start, then start a count down and he comes running and whining, or if he doesn't like the meal we've been allowing him to excuse himself and go play, meaning some meals he sat for 1 minute with us), or giving him too many chances to comply before we institute a consequence, and sometimes those consequences only lasted an hour (Taking away a favorite toy, not letting him finish a show). I figured personally that some of his behaviors were typical of 4-year olds. We never let him talk back rudely or hit at home without consequences, but since the school started telling us all this we have tightened up expectations at home and our son has become far more obedient (Immediately responding to requests, not whining or crying excessively if he doesn't get what he wants, staying at the table for the whole meal even if he doesn't eat, sitting in Mass the entire Mass instead of getting up to 'take a break' outside). But that hasn't translated to school at all, and I think it's too late to salvage his PreK at the parish school.

We met with the Principal and his teachers the other day when they laid everything out and we were pretty devastated because while some of his behavior we weren't surprised by, a lot of it we were. We figured there might be some difficulties in adjusting but nothing like this. We were also surprised by just how rigorous and structured the preK program at this school was. Again, we were expecting something a bit more structured than daycare, but this seems like a full class with occasional toys.

I recognize a big chunk of this is on us for not being more disciplined or structured at home, but I'm also a little mad because the school mentioned something I had heard other parents talk about, which is most of the kids who succeed at this school almost do a pre-PreK program in the area, where from 2 they are in a very structured exclusive daycare environment with lots of transitions, then when they are 4 transfer to the school. It feels like a secret route to success that if you don't know, your kid is behind, but it also bothers me that it seems to succeed at this school you have to train your kid from it from the age of 2 in all-day daycare. I'm also annoyed because I wish the school had been more explicit about their expectations; from open house and online stuff it seemed like it would be mostly play with some little activities, not this hyper-structured environment. Then school starts and we're being hit with all thse ways our kid isn't keeping up. It might just be me being bitter about it.

We're pulling our son out and looking at putting him in the local public school preK if they have a spot available, but it's been heartbreaking to see him struggle like this. Especially because in everything else he's always seemed fine; on the playground, at home, at friends' houses. They made the suggestion we should have him be evaluated for being on the autism spectrum, which we'll do just to be safe, but I really think it's just a combination of immaturity and a ton of changes hitting him all at once (we also just had another baby, #3, so home life has changed again a few weeks prior to school). The school gave us a few suggestions to help him get adjusted (more structure, more little responsibilities at home to build up his self-reliance, and less TV (we let him watch a movie almost every day when he gets home, sometimes he doesn't)).

I feel like I've failed him in a lot of ways, and am just very embarrassed.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Sounds like a normal kid acting out in response and a crazy school to me for what it's worth. I agree that if he was going to have a chance he would have had to be trained for the regime way in advance. Wouldn't want my kid going there either, sounds super stressful.

Party In My Diapee fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Sep 19, 2023

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It sounds like the problem is with that school, not with your kid or parenting.

And I guarantee you that when your kid gets to actual kindergarten in school the kindergarten teachers are absolutely magical people who have to take kids coming from all different varieties of parenting styles and walks of life and etc and they make it work and they make it good for the kids and the teachers... Seriously, kindergarten teachers are absolutely amazing.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Anyone else (non-US) partner come up to them and ask “kids are off school for a long weekend, are you taking any time off?”

Uh, no, I’d rather work than have to put up with all the extra drama my kids bring.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

sheri posted:

It sounds like the problem is with that school, not with your kid or parenting.

This.

I think at 4,5 years old, that is simply too much structure and rigidity. Try to find a different place or keep him in daycare. Some kids aren’t ready for that kind of rigor until 6 or 7.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

This.

I think at 4,5 years old, that is simply too much structure and rigidity. Try to find a different place or keep him in daycare. Some kids aren’t ready for that kind of rigor until 6 or 7.

All the kids at his home daycare are now 2-3 years younger than him so I really don't want to put him back there, even though he'd probably have fun. I'm going to try the public school since they have more resources to help him out, and probably will be more patient (Since they can't kick him out). Plus, all his home daycare friends are there now so that might help him transition better.

I appreciate what everyone is saying. We definitely will keep up the higher expectations and discipline because he seems to be doing way better at home (and happier, with less meltdowns), but yeah, I just don't think that parish school is good for him.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

All the kids at his home daycare are now 2-3 years younger than him so I really don't want to put him back there, even though he'd probably have fun.

Put him back in the old daycare! The "will probably have fun" reason is more than enough.

He's not even 5, right? Let him play and have a good time. He's tiny yet!

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

All the kids at his home daycare are now 2-3 years younger than him so I really don't want to put him back there, even though he'd probably have fun. I'm going to try the public school since they have more resources to help him out, and probably will be more patient (Since they can't kick him out). Plus, all his home daycare friends are there now so that might help him transition better.

I appreciate what everyone is saying. We definitely will keep up the higher expectations and discipline because he seems to be doing way better at home (and happier, with less meltdowns), but yeah, I just don't think that parish school is good for him.

Great, structure and boundaries are good, as you say, but too many old fashioned religious schools fetishize order and control for their own sake. Even sitting through Mass is a tall order at 4.5.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Academician Nomad posted:

too many old fashioned religious schools fetishize order and control for their own sake

Thinking about my cousin who sends his kid to a school that Teaches The Controversy about young earth creationism, but at least "he's more obedient than I've ever seen him in his life!"

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

So my oldest is 4.5, and we wanted to put him in preschool this year. I thought he'd do really well, as he's a sweet child (Very affectionate/thoughtful, tries to share and help out when he can), and we wanted to put him in our local private parish school since he'd be with many of the other parish kids he plays with.

It's been basically a disaster from day 1. I tried to get him on the bus the first day and he had a terrible experience, I thought there'd be lots of little kids on his bus but there was only 1 and he had to be held to stay on the bus. When he got to school he had a breakdown and had to be kept in the office until his grandma came to calm him down and walk him to class.

We thought preschool would be just a little more structured than his home daycare (Where he played most of the day, while having little lessons here and there), but the parish school is incredibly structured, with different activities every 20-30 minutes, and he can't seem to cope. He's been very disruptive, just wanting to go to the toys in the room and play all day. He's hit the teacher's aide, hidden under tables, having shouting matches, saying no when the teachers try to shift him, and having meltdowns. He's laid down on the gym floor in front of the whole school during an assembly with his hands in his pants (I don't think he was doing anything but I've never seen him grab himself at home, look at himself in the bathtub yes, but not just play with himself just randomly). He's tried to run out of the room multiple times when they switch to an activity he doesn't want to do. The school keeps telling us he's the only student demonstrating these behavior issues in the class and it's becoming incredibly disruptive to their day. They've basically given us 2 more weeks before they ban him from coming.

In some ways this has been a wake up call for me and the wife. At home for the past year or two we have probably been somewhat lax on expectations and discipline, not responding immediately if he ignores us to keep playing (For instance if we tell him to come to the table and he keeps playing we ignore him until dinner is about to start, then start a count down and he comes running and whining, or if he doesn't like the meal we've been allowing him to excuse himself and go play, meaning some meals he sat for 1 minute with us), or giving him too many chances to comply before we institute a consequence, and sometimes those consequences only lasted an hour (Taking away a favorite toy, not letting him finish a show). I figured personally that some of his behaviors were typical of 4-year olds. We never let him talk back rudely or hit at home without consequences, but since the school started telling us all this we have tightened up expectations at home and our son has become far more obedient (Immediately responding to requests, not whining or crying excessively if he doesn't get what he wants, staying at the table for the whole meal even if he doesn't eat, sitting in Mass the entire Mass instead of getting up to 'take a break' outside). But that hasn't translated to school at all, and I think it's too late to salvage his PreK at the parish school.

We met with the Principal and his teachers the other day when they laid everything out and we were pretty devastated because while some of his behavior we weren't surprised by, a lot of it we were. We figured there might be some difficulties in adjusting but nothing like this. We were also surprised by just how rigorous and structured the preK program at this school was. Again, we were expecting something a bit more structured than daycare, but this seems like a full class with occasional toys.

I recognize a big chunk of this is on us for not being more disciplined or structured at home, but I'm also a little mad because the school mentioned something I had heard other parents talk about, which is most of the kids who succeed at this school almost do a pre-PreK program in the area, where from 2 they are in a very structured exclusive daycare environment with lots of transitions, then when they are 4 transfer to the school. It feels like a secret route to success that if you don't know, your kid is behind, but it also bothers me that it seems to succeed at this school you have to train your kid from it from the age of 2 in all-day daycare. I'm also annoyed because I wish the school had been more explicit about their expectations; from open house and online stuff it seemed like it would be mostly play with some little activities, not this hyper-structured environment. Then school starts and we're being hit with all thse ways our kid isn't keeping up. It might just be me being bitter about it.

We're pulling our son out and looking at putting him in the local public school preK if they have a spot available, but it's been heartbreaking to see him struggle like this. Especially because in everything else he's always seemed fine; on the playground, at home, at friends' houses. They made the suggestion we should have him be evaluated for being on the autism spectrum, which we'll do just to be safe, but I really think it's just a combination of immaturity and a ton of changes hitting him all at once (we also just had another baby, #3, so home life has changed again a few weeks prior to school). The school gave us a few suggestions to help him get adjusted (more structure, more little responsibilities at home to build up his self-reliance, and less TV (we let him watch a movie almost every day when he gets home, sometimes he doesn't)).

I feel like I've failed him in a lot of ways, and am just very embarrassed.

nth'ing that the problem is primarily with the school here. One of the big goals of Pre-K is to prepare your kid for Kindergarten. It's a big change! It's really hard! Your kid is undergoing lots of big feelings and it's your Pre-K's job to manage those and make them comfortable! If they're already threatening to kick your kid out, then they're not even giving him a chance. That's the sign of a bad school, and bad educators. What kind of teacher just gives up on a kid before September's even over? What do they think will happen should he return in a year for Kindergarten?

It takes a MINIMUM of 2 weeks for kids to adjust to a new environment, and this is a big change. poo poo, my kid's about the same age and he's having trouble adjusting to Pre-K too. And yet this is the same school he's been going to since he's 1, AND my wife is the director so she's already in the building in case a de-escalation is needed.

It's also never a bad thing to have your kid evaluated. He doesn't need to be on the spectrum to require services, sometimes you just need some special 1 on 1 attention. However, your school should be the one facilitating the evaluation. They should be guiding you through the process, and advocating for the child.

I can't emphasize this enough, I'm disgusted that they're just going to give up on your kid like that, and so quickly too. How can you call yourself a school if you're not even going to work with them.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Renegret posted:

nth'ing that the problem is primarily with the school here. One of the big goals of Pre-K is to prepare your kid for Kindergarten. It's a big change! It's really hard! Your kid is undergoing lots of big feelings and it's your Pre-K's job to manage those and make them comfortable! If they're already threatening to kick your kid out, then they're not even giving him a chance. That's the sign of a bad school, and bad educators. What kind of teacher just gives up on a kid before September's even over? What do they think will happen should he return in a year for Kindergarten?

It takes a MINIMUM of 2 weeks for kids to adjust to a new environment, and this is a big change. poo poo, my kid's about the same age and he's having trouble adjusting to Pre-K too. And yet this is the same school he's been going to since he's 1, AND my wife is the director so she's already in the building in case a de-escalation is needed.

It's also never a bad thing to have your kid evaluated. He doesn't need to be on the spectrum to require services, sometimes you just need some special 1 on 1 attention. However, your school should be the one facilitating the evaluation. They should be guiding you through the process, and advocating for the child.

I can't emphasize this enough, I'm disgusted that they're just going to give up on your kid like that, and so quickly too. How can you call yourself a school if you're not even going to work with them.

Thanks. It's a private Catholic School so their excuse is they don't have the resources to do any of this, and to look at public school where there are resources. They've been very up front about it at least. :shrug: Since the school is in demand with wait lists they can pick which kids they want and which they don't want.

I just hope shifting him to a new school isn't too traumatic for him. I know I don't have to tell my boy all the reasons why he suddenly isn't going to "his" school and he has a "new teacher", but he's still going to wonder, until he forgets when he's older. I know at the public school at least he can sleep in to a normal hour. I've been waking him up an hour early (and trying to get bed earlier) because the private school has a really early start time (7:30 a.m.).

Crazy Joe Wilson fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 19, 2023

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Renegret posted:

What kind of teacher just gives up on a kid before September's even over?

Pretty sure this is a situation where they have a set of expectations, and that is that the kid has already been "institutionalized" by several years of similarly structured day care.

Public schools don't have that luxury. They have to take kids from all sorts of backgrounds ranging from this sort of structured day care to nothing but staying home with the parents.

The downside is that they have to actually, you know, teach the kids how to behave in a class. And that takes away from valuable instruction time. And if you really wanted The Best TM for your child, then you would have already done your job by sending them to a Top Rated Day CareTM you absolute monster.

Renegret posted:

It takes a MINIMUM of 2 weeks for kids to adjust to a new environment, and this is a big change.

Our oldest just started kindergarten, and they're pretty adamant up front that you do NOT change routines for the first 2 months. No changes in transportation, no changes in schedule, hell don't even come for lunch (even though normally parents are allowed to show up and eat lunch with their kid).

Obviously this is a suggestion and not a requirement, but they make sure to say it several times during the orientations/introductions/whatever that a consistent routine is crucial for kids to adapt to kindergarten.

Some will take to it better than others, obviously, but you can honestly never know who is going to have what challenges regardless of their background.

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Thanks. It's a private Catholic School so their excuse is they don't have the resources to do any of this, and to look at public school where there are resources. They've been very up front about it at least. :shrug: Since the school is in demand with wait lists they can pick which kids they want and which they don't want.

I just hope shifting him to a new school isn't too traumatic for him. I know I don't have to tell my boy all the reasons why he suddenly isn't going to "his" school and he has a "new teacher", but he's still going to wonder, until he forgets when he's older. I know at the public school at least he can sleep in to a normal hour. I've been waking him up an hour early (and trying to get bed earlier) because the private school has a really early start time (7:30 a.m.).

This isn't a resource issue, it's a teaching style issue.

I guess yes technically they don't have the resources if they haven't planned for those resources... when you can just kick out kids that don't fit your teaching style, then you don't need the resources.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

One of my good friends is a child psychologist and its been very reassuring when I rant about our youngest and his issues conforming to kindergarten she confirms that his behavior is extremely age appropraite.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sounds like classist English bullshit gently caress that gently caress them

The blame lands on the intake/enrollment team. They should have seen that your kid doesn't have formal schooling experience and brought you solutions to avoid this

My nephew just started kindergarten and they do a soft-mandatory 2 week "summer camp" 4 hours a day where basically they let the kids acclimate to the school, their classmates, the teachers etc but there's every expectation that it's going to be a poo poo show. Let the kids get the stress off acclimation out of their system with little to no real instruction under the guise of "summer camp"

No surprise that he went from fun unstructured home to boot camp and responded negatively. I would too. The school should have been on top of this. Someone over there is asleep at the wheel. You're not the first nor will you be the last parent they fail

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

Lotta folks getting their hands on the ball, I just wanted to add that there's likely at least a dozen books at your local library about first days of school in a variety of settings.

Edit: to be clear, not parenting books, but kid books you can read together

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

DaveSauce posted:

The downside is that they have to actually, you know, teach the kids how to behave in a class. And that takes away from valuable instruction time. And if you really wanted The Best TM for your child, then you would have already done your job by sending them to a Top Rated Day CareTM you absolute monster.

Without sufficient "instructional time" in kindergarten you might miss such key activities as making a turkey out of your handprint. Say goodbye to Harvard

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

Hadlock posted:

Sounds like classist English bullshit gently caress that gently caress them

The blame lands on the intake/enrollment team. They should have seen that your kid doesn't have formal schooling experience and brought you solutions to avoid this

I'm going to go ahead and assume that they're going to keep OP's money and tell them to gently caress off. Non-refundable tuition and/or application fees, not our fault your kid isn't a robot, good luck in the filthy public schools you dirty poor.

If they have a wait list, they can just cycle through enrollees until they find ones that "fit," happily collecting money in the interim.

Without sufficient "instructional time" in kindergarten you might miss such key activities as making a turkey out of your handprint. Say goodbye to Harvard

Handprint turkeys? Look here this is pre-k, not infants. We don't encourage kids to waste time with the liberal arts you dirty hippy.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

DaveSauce posted:

do NOT change routines for the first 2 months

we're having a baby in 5 weeks

:suicide:

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

DaveSauce posted:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that they're going to keep OP's money and tell them to gently caress off. Non-refundable tuition and/or application fees, not our fault your kid isn't a robot, good luck in the filthy public schools you dirty poor.

If they have a wait list, they can just cycle through enrollees until they find ones that "fit," happily collecting money in the interim.

Handprint turkeys? Look here this is pre-k, not infants. We don't encourage kids to waste time with the liberal arts you dirty hippy.

We are paying by month so they will stop charging as soon as unenroll and backpay any part of the month our son did not attend with.

I am tempted to speak to the Pastor and tell them that yes the Parish school is allowed to have standard of student they like, but they are missing out on many good Catholic families and their kids by having this incredibly structured and regimented system, and if Catholic means Universal, they are definitely not being universal with their children. We love our Parish and our Pastor, He is a good man, and he is not the one who created the school system, but I know he would not only want excellently behaved and quiet children in the pews, he wants every child in the pews. So should it be with the Parish school.

Oh well, starting the public school registration now.

External Organs posted:

Lotta folks getting their hands on the ball, I just wanted to add that there's likely at least a dozen books at your local library about first days of school in a variety of settings.

Edit: to be clear, not parenting books, but kid books you can read together

Thanks, I did get some books from the library on going to school, tried to find ones about kids actually in school, my kid really liked a Chloe Zoe one. Probably because it showed the kid being sometimes upset and sometimes happy and it resonated with him.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Thanks, I did get some books from the library on going to school, tried to find ones about kids actually in school, my kid really liked a Chloe Zoe one. Probably because it showed the kid being sometimes upset and sometimes happy and it resonated with him.
Yeah my kid likes the Llama Llama books in general (though he's younger than yours) so Llama Llama Misses Mama was relevant.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS
My kid is the same age and just started 4k at the local public school. Their curriculum is intentionally play based because it's developmentally inappropriate to try and get a 4 year old (or 5 year old for that matter) to sit still at a desk in a classroom for more than a few minutes. The way kids this age learn is through play.

The emphasis on having an obedient child above all else is very typical of religious private schools in my experience. In my opinion this is tied into having obedient adults but that's probably a conversation for another thread. Try not to tag your kid as a "bad kid" in your head because it will change how you treat him, even if not intentionally.

Good luck, I hope public school preK/4K goes better for your kid and your family!

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
Has anyone investigated the parents' Pre-K co-op idea? We just started sending our toddler to a half day twice a week. Five families, including us, pooled resources together and hired a Waldorf teacher to educate our tykes for 3.5 hrs each weekday in a forest preserve/church building. It may depend on your state regarding certifications and the permissibility of this avenue, but in Illinois it was much easier than accrediting an actual Pre-K, and we even got some grant money for it!

It has been extremely good so far, and we reduced the cost of childcare by 3/5ths, at $620/mo for 5 days per week or $465 for two days. Since the families involved can be counted on one hand, we have a 3:1 child-teacher ratio. If we expand the number of families we will still try to maintain this ratio with assistants.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

A Bad King posted:

Has anyone investigated the parents' Pre-K co-op idea? We just started sending our toddler to a half day twice a week. Five families, including us, pooled resources together and hired a Waldorf teacher to educate our tykes for 3.5 hrs each weekday in a forest preserve/church building. It may depend on your state regarding certifications and the permissibility of this avenue, but in Illinois it was much easier than accrediting an actual Pre-K, and we even got some grant money for it!

It has been extremely good so far, and we reduced the cost of childcare by 3/5ths, at $620/mo for 5 days per week or $465 for two days. Since the families involved can be counted on one hand, we have a 3:1 child-teacher ratio. If we expand the number of families we will still try to maintain this ratio with assistants.

We’re doing the co-op thing, but on radically different premises. The government in Sweden will actually subsidize coops at the same level as publicly run daycares/pre-ks. So we each pay a token fee of ca 100 € a month, and the government ponys up the remainder which is 1000€- 1400€ depending on age bracket.

Anyway, it’s probably similar in that we have a board of rank amateurs in control of professional teachers and accredited assistants, which is always interesting.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
A mom familiar with the Illinois system really cut the price down for everyone with that grant.

America is really bad at helping families. We are just very, very bad at helping one another federally, as a rule. €100 a head is a blessing of sanity.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

With school back in session, I had to hold back tears of frustration as my slightly autistic child played in the playground. By playing, he lied down on equipment blocking other children from going on slides or climb up certain areas. All I could do was explain to the frustrated kids that he had special needs. That doesn't help with their frustrations or my sadness that I can't communicate with my child well.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

marchantia posted:

My kid is the same age and just started 4k at the local public school. Their curriculum is intentionally play based because it's developmentally inappropriate to try and get a 4 year old (or 5 year old for that matter) to sit still at a desk in a classroom for more than a few minutes. The way kids this age learn is through play.

The emphasis on having an obedient child above all else is very typical of religious private schools in my experience. In my opinion this is tied into having obedient adults but that's probably a conversation for another thread. Try not to tag your kid as a "bad kid" in your head because it will change how you treat him, even if not intentionally.

Good luck, I hope public school preK/4K goes better for your kid and your family!

Yeah, my wife and I fell into this trap for a day or two after meeting with the principal and them focusing on how he wasn't "on level", but after thinking about it long enough and talking with enough folks I realized it's the school that's just dumb. PreK should be about getting kids acclimated to school, not charging in on day 1 expecting all the kids to already be able to do it all. That's not my boy's fault that they assumed he was already super-conditioned for school. I've met some other parents who had similar experiences at this school, so I feel a little better.

I think the meeting and sleep changes are messing with my boy, he's been having accidents at night again which he hasn't had in nearly a year. We're keeping him home until we get a public PreK position, I hate that we put him in a stressful environment. We're also doing a few more little activities each day with some preschool workbooks at home, drawing, practicing letters and shapes, but in a very relaxed environment, just 1 on 1 or with his younger sister. He asked about going to school today and "having fun", but I think he's just doing that because we put such an emphasis on him going and it being fun. I told him to just relax and stay home and have fun, that the old school wasn't good for him and we would find one that was more fun/enjoyable, with his daycare friends there.

We're still giving him more responsibilities at home and higher expectations and he's doing really well. A lot less tantrums and he enjoys helping more with stuff like feeding the cats, getting toothbrushes ready, etc. Sitting at tables for full meals and in Mass is still hard but he's getting better. We also notice his middle sister is also doing much better, as she loves to copy her brother. We bought him a small lego robot too to take his mind off school.

I really appreciate everyone in this thread stepping in and talking about this, it's been very helpful in my wife and I not feeling bad about not staying with this parish school and doing what's best for our kids. Interestingly enough, in an orthodox Catholic forum I'm on I've gotten a lot of the same opinions on the school (too unrealistic, not geared to kids who aren't conditioned from diapers, unfair to four year olds), so I feel much more confident about our switch.

I just feel bad my kid has so many big switches at the beginning of his first school year.

Yeah my kid likes the Llama Llama books in general (though he's younger than yours) so Llama Llama Misses Mama was relevant.

My boy really likes Chloe Zoe goes to Preschool, which I thought was a little below his age but it resonated with him, so I'll have to look into Llama Llama and get it off Thriftbooks, thanks.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

TV Zombie posted:

With school back in session, I had to hold back tears of frustration as my slightly autistic child played in the playground. By playing, he lied down on equipment blocking other children from going on slides or climb up certain areas. All I could do was explain to the frustrated kids that he had special needs. That doesn't help with their frustrations or my sadness that I can't communicate with my child well.

Our school just had their fun run fundraiser and I went to watch my kindergartener participate and I cried. He was just not behaving himself. He was distracted by the flags, he wanted to take a pom pom from someone, he wanted to just drink his water bottle and not run then he wanted to run when they were supposed to do a walking lap, a butterfly flew close to where they were running and he wanted to go see it. I am pretty certain he has ADHD (his older brother is AuADHD) and you feel so helpless and judged.

Edit: Each time I see Class Dojo flash on my phone there's a new message I mildly panic. I've gotten messages from not only his teacher but the music teacher and art teacher about how "he doesn't want to participate" and what can they do to make him be more successful.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Alterian posted:

Edit: Each time I see Class Dojo flash on my phone there's a new message I mildly panic. I've gotten messages from not only his teacher but the music teacher and art teacher about how "he doesn't want to participate" and what can they do to make him be more successful.

Wow. This is completely a school problem to solve!
Are these brand new teachers? This should be something totally familiar to them to solve!

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

sheri posted:

Wow. This is completely a school problem to solve!
Are these brand new teachers? This should be something totally familiar to them to solve!

The phrase, "what can [we] do to make him be more successful" makes me think the tone is more like, "We assume you have successfully dealt with this behavior at home and can offer us some insight as to the best way to motivate your child to participate and listen."

I'm not sure it's intended to be pawning off the problem to the parents, or trying to imply that the parents are somehow to blame. Sounds to me like they're interested in learning more about how the kid's brain works instead of having to reinvent the wheel by trying a dozen things that are already known not to work.

edit:

I suppose at the same time, that phrase is absolutely corporate-speak for "your kid needs to get their poo poo together before we kick them to the curb." I mean if my boss said that to me I'd be concerned about my career, but a teacher talking to a parent about their kid? I would tend to assume the best of intentions... very different scenario.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

For those of you with kids in daycare: have any of you ever used a daycare teacher as a babysitter?

I've seen conflicting views on whether this is a good or bad idea. Good because they already know your kids and the parents already know the teacher/sitter. Bad because if for whatever reason there is a dispute (pay or otherwise) between parents and the teacher/sitter then it'd be really awkward at daycare going forward.

We're looking to find a good babysitter and have no idea where else to look to find someone we know is reliable.

A few pages back, but we've actually got our first adventure in hiring a sitter tonight as well. We're having one of the little guy's former daycare teachers do the sitting tonight. He aged out of the infant class already (he's 16 months now), and she's actually not with the daycare anymore, so hopefully none of the potentially bad issues really apply. Not that we anticipate them, the teacher is great. But we'll see, I'm sure it will be odd for him not having mom and dad at home for the bedtime routine, even if it's with a familiar face. If he goes down at the usual time and sleeps OK it will be pretty low maintenance... but that's a big if...