Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

celadon posted:

a single protein being overproduced can be targeted in a number of ways of varying expense and pharmacological complexity, so yeah that would be vastly preferable to 'virus hosed things up unknowably'

if this ends up being true this will massively improve a ton of lives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

celadon posted:

a single protein being overproduced can be targeted in a number of ways of varying expense and pharmacological complexity, so yeah that would be vastly preferable to 'virus hosed things up unknowably'
That's my hope as well.

Fun question: since mitochondria are not exactly mammalian, are their proteins less homologous to ours than those of other mammals? I'm wondering if it's easier to target them with fewer potential side effects.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

celadon posted:

Yeah it would be amazing. :unsmith: what a time to be alive

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Not an expert on the biology here, but I like the sound of "a protein is being overproduced" as the cause of many cases of ME/CFS more than "the virus hosed up your lungs/blood oxygen capacity/nervous system." Not to say it'll be easy to treat at all, but something that may be amenable to an inhibitor drug seems better than something due to permanent damage.

yeah, i agree it's more promising than some imaginable explanations. although again, the article itself doesn't specifically say that covid is directly responsible for causing CFS with this particular underlying cause, and it seems there are other underlying causes in other people with CFS aside from that protein. (maybe the paper gives more details on that? i didn't check. someone feel free to!) so we're probably still a couple connections away from treating specifically long-covid-induced CFS. but still, seems like super helpful discovery for a lot of people, covid or not

Zugzwang posted:

Fun question: since mitochondria are not exactly mammalian, are their proteins less homologous to ours than those of other mammals? I'm wondering if it's easier to target them with fewer potential side effects.

i'm also curious about this 🤔

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

new juice out?

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Zugzwang posted:

since mitochondria are not exactly mammalian

Uhhhhhhhh what

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mycomancy posted:

Uhhhhhhhh what

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrion#Origin_and_evolution

when the bacteria gets really endemic

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

razorscooter posted:

new juice out?

Yes, updated Pfizer and Moderna boosters are currently nominally out. Though the experiences of actually getting the doses and getting insurance to pay for them (now that it is moved to the private sector) has been a very mixed bag.

Nominally, if your insurance doesn't cover it (or if you are under-insured) there is also a separate "Bridge Access Program", but there you need to look up which locations are offering the government purchased doses.

If you have kids and want the pediatric boosters, best of luck! They are technically available down to 6 months, but no one has been able to get them yet as far as I recall.

If you want Novavax, it may or may not be approved on the 22nd by the FDA.

Anyways, the system smartly set up by the Biden admin, is very successful, very good and very cool. It is not a clusterfuck at all.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Petey posted:

i don't want to slow anybody's roll but: between the lovely rollout and the known timing (i.e. that protection against infection lasts 2-3 months max), doesn't waiting until like late october for the boost make sense anyway (in america)? to let the system work itself out + maximize protection from thanksgiving through the new year?

May as well get novavax in that case, too, though it will probably be harder to find than the mrnas

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

A Bag of Milk posted:

So what's this thread doing for testing nowadays? Several antigens? I'm not sure what to do, so I made a meme:

Two cheap Siemens antigens, yes

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Soap Scum posted:

yeah, i agree it's more promising than some imaginable explanations. although again, the article itself doesn't specifically say that covid is directly responsible for causing CFS with this particular underlying cause, and it seems there are other underlying causes in other people with CFS aside from that protein. (maybe the paper gives more details on that? i didn't check. someone feel free to!) so we're probably still a couple connections away from treating specifically long-covid-induced CFS. but still, seems like super helpful discovery for a lot of people, covid or not
The virus does so much crap in the body, I think it's probably best to think of any of its effects/sequelae (long covid especially) as multifactorial, both in terms of causes and risk factors. So yeah, we might have found the cause, or a major cause, but not the cause of all cases.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
hurray, my local walgreens that is listed on vaccines.gov as a bridge access program participant has never heard of it, and was only willing to have me pay for it up front

system is working great, I love having access to healthcare

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

hmmm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God

Teabag Dome Scandal posted:

Still waking up a little congested but that was normal before covid

This was me until I put a Levoit 300 on my bedside table running 24/7. I have not woken up once with congestion since then. White noise is nice too. Highly recommended.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

old people die a lot though. I've seen it.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

covid is everpresent and once it evolves to invade all cells in the body we will achieve blessed symbiosis and covid will be the new mitochondria

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

This was me until I put a Levoit 300 on my bedside table running 24/7. I have not woken up once with congestion since then. White noise is nice too. Highly recommended.

I have two Levoits, a big one and a small one, an they're great. (their humidifiers are good too)

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

The virus does so much crap in the body, I think it's probably best to think of any of its effects/sequelae (long covid especially) as multifactorial, both in terms of causes and risk factors. So yeah, we might have found the cause, or a major cause, but not the cause of all cases.

oh, yeah, for sure. i'm actually kinda curious how other people might taxonomize long covid overall? my personal take on it would be something like:

1. consequences of direct cellular damage/death (obviously lots of subtypes based on whether that's in lungs / heart / neurons / etc.)
2. consequences of increased clotting
3. consequences of persistent viral reservoirs
4. consequences of having immune system disorders induced (again many subtypes; reduced immune system function, auto-immune disorders, etc.)
5. consequences of mitochondrial fuckery/CFS (again possibly many subtypes)

...is there any breakdown of this in like, medical literature from people who actually research this poo poo?

anyway, kinda unrelated to that ^ if anyone has some idea of the pathway from "viral infection" to "make lots of WASF3 protein that fucks up mitochondria", i'd be curious to know more. i'd bet there is some pathway given this evidence and what a large portion of CFS seems to be post-viral, but i have no idea personally what that pathway might be.

Soap Scum has issued a correction as of 22:02 on Sep 19, 2023

Indoor Dying
Dec 13, 2022
we have the tools cancellations

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

No I know about endosymbiosis. That poo poo didn't happen yesterday, eukaryogenesis occurred a billion years ago. A protein from a mammalian mitochondrion is as "mammal" as any other protein in that cell.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

Soap Scum posted:

...is there any breakdown of this in like, medical literature from people who actually research this poo poo?

I've seen at least one paper that attempted to define groups by symptom clusters. https://www.researchgate.net/public...matology?xgtab= and I'm sure there's dozens/hundreds more out there.

This particular paper is neat but a little weird. They took self-reported symptom data and covid test data from CARE and analyzed the reported severity of 21 symptoms for each of ~20,000 individuals. They trained a classifier ML model using the input symptom data and the output covid positivity data. Then they did used a combination of secondary analysis techniques - they used SHAP values to determine, for each person, which symptom or combination of symptoms was most important for determining the trained model's final output. Then they took the SHAP values and did a dimensionality reduction and clustering on the data and attempted to derive a set of "decision rules" for each cluster's membership.

The highest evidence was for 16 clusters (Figure 4) but there's nearly equally credible evidence for anywhere from six clusters to more than twenty.

Basically, the conceit of it all was, "there's some underlying rules to which cluster of symptoms you experience. If we train a machine learning model to classify covid status using symptom data, we can use other techniques to tease apart WHY the ML model made its decisions for how to interpret each case. Once we've done that, hopefully the clusters of symptoms we pull out might tell us something about the underlying biology that resulted in those clusters."

Big sticking points for me: quality of the input data. it's self reported, and their whole ML strategy hinges on accurately distinguishing true covid cases from false ones. I have no idea how good the covid testing data in that database is w/r/t accuracy. Also, their dimensionality reduction was done with UMAP, and based on some of the work I've seen recently in other fields, I'm pretty skeptical of any interpretation that relies on a non-linear dimensionality reduction.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

mycomancy posted:

A protein from a mammalian mitochondrion is as "mammal" as any other protein in that cell.

now i'm curious to know whether phylogenies of animal/fungi/plant mitochondrial proteins reflect the host phylogeny

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SixteenShells posted:

now i'm curious to know whether phylogenies of animal/fungi/plant mitochondrial proteins reflect the host phylogeny

I mean, mitochondrial genomes aren't even necessarily identical between species let alone domains. There's been a lot of movement in and out of mitos, and they're a dumpster fire of AT-rich trash too which makes priming them for Sanger sequencing dicy.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
Here's the foreword for a whole special issue about the topic.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8780756/

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021

mycomancy posted:

I mean, mitochondrial genomes aren't even necessarily identical between species let alone domains. There's been a lot of movement in and out of mitos, and they're a dumpster fire of AT-rich trash too which makes priming them for Sanger sequencing dicy.

makes sense. my experience with mitochondrial genomes are knowing they exist and throwing mitochondrial reads out of my sequencing data because my research question didn't concern them.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

SixteenShells posted:

makes sense. my experience with mitochondrial genomes are knowing they exist and throwing mitochondrial reads out of my sequencing data because my research question didn't concern them.

Unless you had long read data you wouldn't be able to assemble them anyway. Too repetitive for short reads to assemble.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

mycomancy posted:

A protein from a mammalian mitochondrion is as "mammal" as any other protein in that cell.

Sounds like something an alphaproteobacterium would say :smuggo:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

quote:

One big tell: In college, after exercising, Twinam would not experience an endorphin rush. Instead, she told her friends she “felt like garbage.”

oh gently caress, I must have this disease

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

RandomBlue posted:

oh gently caress, I must have this disease

haha same. maybe I am other than just entirely broken for no good reason?

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
So let's see

Back when we had the PHE
- Vaccines free for everyone

Result: 17% Uptake

Without the PHE
- People getting charged $200
- People showing up to pharmacies for their appointments and being told they don't have the vaccine
- Insurance companies telling people they have to use in-network locations but none of those locations have the vaccine
- Pharmacies listed under the "Bridge Access Program" for the uninsured not even knowing what the program is and telling people they have to pay $200 upfront
- Smaller pharmacies being unable to get doses because they'll have to eat the cost of surplus doses, many of which will be the result of the above issues

Result: ??? lmao

And of course we still have the standard insane problem of sending people looking to get vaccinated, people looking to get tested, and people looking to get treatment to the same cramped, poorly ventilated, indoor locations with zero air filtration and where no one is wearing masks.

Mykroft
Aug 25, 2005

Dinosaur Gum

Why Am I So Tired posted:

- People showing up to pharmacies for their appointments and being told they don't have the vaccine

Actually in my case they were kind enough to leave a voicemail that they ran out the day before I was supposed to get mine. But yeah, seems like the supply this time is a disaster.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

(..)
(..)

Actually it will be 24%.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It's kind of amazing that the government thought that they could stop bribing the pharmaceutical industry to reliably supply vaccines and that the market would just like go with that without any problems, or that apparently they would just make declarations and expect the market to react lickity-split despite there apparently being little to no coordination.

Like, how the gently caress do the pharmacies listed on the website for the bridge access program not know about the bridge access program? How did this information not get distributed? Did they forget, cause I hear that's been a problem for people lately!

Baddog
May 12, 2001

bedpan posted:

haha same. maybe I am other than just entirely broken for no good reason?

Heh, you all gotta exercise more than once/month to get over that "I feel like poo poo after working out" hump!

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
My kids second dose of her initial series was supposed to be Sept 26. Her doctors office doesn't have pediatric doses and doesn't know when they'll receive them. Anyone in the greater Seattle area who is aware of a clinic with pediatric doses please let me know, it could save me hours of calling around.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

this just happened to me! she claimed she left a voicemail but there was no call. super fun times, hope to reschedule soon

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

So let's see

Back when we had the PHE
- Vaccines free for everyone

Result: 17% Uptake

Without the PHE
- People getting charged $200
- Insurance companies telling people they have to use in-network locations but none of those locations have the vaccine
- Pharmacies listed under the "Bridge Access Program" for the uninsured not even knowing what the program is and telling people they have to pay $200 upfront
- Smaller pharmacies being unable to get doses because they'll have to eat the cost of surplus doses, many of which will be the result of the above issues

And of course we still have the standard insane problem of sending people looking to get vaccinated, people looking to get tested, and people looking to get treatment to the same cramped, poorly ventilated, indoor locations with zero air filtration and where no one is wearing masks.

sounds like too much of a hassle, imo just get covid and procure nature's vaccine for free

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

sounds like too much of a hassle, imo just get covid and procure nature's vaccine for free

The Bridge Access Program has been updated; now at participating CVS and Walgreens your local DNC party official will cough in your mouth

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

The Oldest Man posted:

The Bridge Access Program has been updated; now at participating CVS and Walgreens your local DNC party official will cough in your mouth

What's the update?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

What's the update?
lol