Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
No Chunks merch on the Bethesda store!? An outrage!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Edgar posted:

No Chunks merch on the Bethesda store!? An outrage!

Strange, after the roaring success that was the fo76 merchandise

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

tango alpha delta posted:

Bethesda could have at least tried to steal the mildly humorous food items from The Outer Worlds.

Do not besmirch Spacer's Choice that way.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

CommieGIR posted:

Do not besmirch Spacer's Choice that way.

Stanfield is a spacers choice video game.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

you can do anything, even wait a long time between loading screens like i did on my amiga or build a useless outpost

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

nullEntityRNG posted:

Stanfield is a spacers choice video game.

"Its not the Best Choice, its Spacer's Choice"

Confirmed true.

Reminder this is their reveal trailer for the 2nd Outer Worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDYtI7kUU4k

EDIT: I hope someone mods in a Spacer's Choice moon helmet into Starfield.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

"Its not the Best Choice, its Spacer's Choice"

Confirmed true.

Reminder this is their reveal trailer for the 2nd Outer Worlds: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDYtI7kUU4k

EDIT: I hope someone mods in a Spacer's Choice moon helmet into Starfield.

lol this trailer owns and made me retroactively love Outer Worlds

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

you can do anything, even wait a long time between loading screens like i did on my amiga or build a useless outpost

Lol did you see that guy who built a gigantic factory

The articles failed To explain that he has to override a bunch of poo poo to break the outpost limit and actual build it.

And that it beat crashes his game every time he goes to that outpost.

Lol.

Factorio did it better

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol did you see that guy who built a gigantic factory

The articles failed To explain that he has to override a bunch of poo poo to break the outpost limit and actual build it.

And that it beat crashes his game every time he goes to that outpost.

Lol.

Factorio did it better

So this actually highlights one of my biggest legitimate complaints about Starfield

There are all these systems, like outposts or planetary exploration, that ostensibly exist as a way to gather resources.

Except the resources are loving useless. Not only can you effortlessly buy infinite amounts of them from NPCs, making all of the resource gathering methods obsolete before you even touch them, there's absolutely nothing worthwhile that you can craft with them. The best stuff you can craft is like, adding a little bit of reserve oxygen to your jump pack, or adding a scope to a gun. So you have these several gameplay systems whose 'purpose' is to give the player a way to farm materials, and it's boring busywork to do so... and less effective than just killing a pirate, selling his space suit and buying the materials.

So the only real way to engage with a significant chunk of the game's systems is to intentionally choose the high-effort, low-reward, low-interactivity methods of gathering materials that you'll never have any significant use for.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Like yeah that guy built a 100 hour megafactory but... for what? What can he do with that factory? Why would you do that in Starfield instead of a game about building megafactories, where that factory then actually gets used for something, and probably looks better, and was more fun to build?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

deep dish peat moss posted:

Like yeah that guy built a 100 hour megafactory but... for what? What can he do with that factory? Why would you do that in Starfield instead of a game about building megafactories, where that factory then actually gets used for something, and probably looks better, and was more fun to build?

Don't worry, that factory produces NFTs, so its useful! /sarcasm

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

chunks exists in reality and has for many years. that squareats place was an internet joke for quite a while. so... good job, bethesd

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Don't worry, that factory produces NFTs, so its useful! /sarcasm

i will destroy you for doing reddit sarcasm tags

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Do it!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Finally, consequences!

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the same thing about outposts and settlements being useless was true in fallout 4 (minus the one small story part where you had to build a way into the institute). i don't really have an issue with optional flavor stuff for people who really want to play at base building. the UI for it is really bad though.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

Can you link the details? I've been tinkering with the idea conceptually because I hate myself and would like to see how others did it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Do the outposts you build in Starfield at least have people in them?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

steinrokkan posted:

Do the outposts you build in Starfield at least have people in them?

you can assign people you hire from space taverns, yeah

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

nullEntityRNG posted:

Can you link the details? I've been tinkering with the idea conceptually because I hate myself and would like to see how others did it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/16lwzf4/for_all_of_you_hating_on_outposts_this_is_what/

Including things like "manually place over 3,000 floormats to emulate a foundation floor"

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

I owned an Amiga 2000 back in the day and, in its prime, it poo poo all over comparable Macs and PCs. There was no contest; it wasn’t even a competition.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

remain motionless while the game loads

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Lol my factory of pointlessness

They really made the whole outpost thing so boring. The fact that I can't run a faction of haulers and poo poo is dumb

Also what gets me loving annoyed is that you can't liberate anything. Like there's "abandoned factory" can't do poo poo with it. Can't turn it into anything. It just sits there barren forever like the rest of the game.

nullEntityRNG
Jun 23, 2010

Mostly pseudo-random.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Starfield/comments/16lwzf4/for_all_of_you_hating_on_outposts_this_is_what/

Including things like "manually place over 3,000 floormats to emulate a foundation floor"

Christ. And it doesn't even act as a major hub of other outpost mining. I see no mapping around that or discussion so he has to be manually dropping off supplies. Eugh.

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Lol my factory of pointlessness

They really made the whole outpost thing so boring. The fact that I can't run a faction of haulers and poo poo is dumb

Also what gets me loving annoyed is that you can't liberate anything. Like there's "abandoned factory" can't do poo poo with it. Can't turn it into anything. It just sits there barren forever like the rest of the game.

X3 did it better... 18 years ago!?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0v8DBQB3uQ

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Bad Purchase posted:

remain motionless while the game loads

Please do not move while THE NOZZLE is engaged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8yQhXDquII

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I finally broke down and replied to my brother, basically said "Wow, playing NMS with F4 bolted on does sound like a pretty lovely way to spend your time. I will never play this. Thanks for the heads up!" and now I get irregular updates on how it's not actually that bad. I think Bethesda games are addictive substances, but not ones you can derive pleasure from. They're like Afrin.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
Kevin Spacer

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

mysterious frankie posted:

I finally broke down and replied to my brother, basically said "Wow, playing NMS with F4 bolted on does sound like a pretty lovely way to spend your time. I will never play this. Thanks for the heads up!" and now I get irregular updates on how it's not actually that bad. I think Bethesda games are addictive substances, but not ones you can derive pleasure from. They're like Afrin.

I've made some big-rear end posts about this in other threads but I'll do it again here sure. Modern AAA games absolutely model themselves after addictive substances. I don't think most of them are aware of it, they model themselves after "known successful business practices for making video games" without understanding that it all stems from addiction research. A lot of the AAA CEOs are convinced that they're providing good players experiences because e.g. players react positively when a certain thing happens in a game, when what they're really doing is doling out measured doses of bad experiences to highlight the good experiences. Having less-fun parts of a game makes the average player playing longer, trudging through the valleys because it makes the peaks more exciting for them.

I don't know enough about Bethesda games to pinpoint the addictive mechanics in them but examples from Blizzard games are e.g. the lions share of loot being useless because it makes the rare useful loot spike your dopamine and get you to keep playing, similar to how slot machines sprinkle in small "wins" to keep the dream of a jackpot alive. This is something they're actually on record talking about in past interviews so it's not just conjecture. They unintentionally do sort of the same thing with loot colors, they've established a pattern throughout all of their games of certain colors representing "better" things and now players of Blizzard games get that sweet dopamine rush whenever they see an orange item drop, and they associate blue items with useless garbage that they need to keep wading through to get to the good parts, which has spilled over into adjacent games like Destiny, and now just using those loot colors in your game is enough to earn some fans that Blizzard has conditioned to feel good when those colors drop.

I believe it all truly does originate from "how do we make people engage with this more" and not "let's study addiction and implement it lol" but min/maxing engagement inevitably turns in to fostering addiction in a way that regulators aren't equipped to understand.

Just look at the way that people who play Destiny 2 actively hate the game, but keep going back to get their fix. Because the game has conditioned them to feel bad when they're missing out on exotics or whatever, and they feel an impulse to play more to get the exotics, the one good piece of loot that they care about. Whether the game is still fun or not doesn't matter, they just know that they'll feel a sense of relief and goodness as soon as they hit that jackpot.

Battle passes, cosmetic dlc, f2p games, dailies, etc. are all parts of this. That doesn't mean someone is addicted just because they bought a battle pass or whatever but those things do addict a fuckload of people.

And those players also get defensive when confronted about it. Because it's an addiction. "So what I'm having fun" or "well at least it gives me some enjoyment" or "well I'm not addicted" or whatever. You know, the same exact things people say about drugs to justify their addictions.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 19, 2023

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

I know it got made fun of when they did it in other Bethesda games, but do they have any celebrity guest stars in this? Other than Armin Shimmerman playing a space-businessman but not a cool alien like Quark, just some douchebag in a space-business suit?

Say what you will about them blowing their budget to get a guy to record maybe five minutes of dialogue, but Patrick Stewart as Uriel Septim at least was memorable, got a big opening monologue for the intro cutscene, some cool lines, "close shut the jaws of Oblivion" and all that. Max von Sydow as the head Greybeard was cool, Charles Martinet as Paarthurnax was cool.

Whose the character with cool memorable line reads in this game?

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Asterite34 posted:

I know it got made fun of when they did it in other Bethesda games, but do they have any celebrity guest stars in this? Other than Armin Shimmerman playing a space-businessman but not a cool alien like Quark, just some douchebag in a space-business suit?

Say what you will about them blowing their budget to get a guy to record maybe five minutes of dialogue, but Patrick Stewart as Uriel Septim at least was memorable, got a big opening monologue for the intro cutscene, some cool lines, "close shut the jaws of Oblivion" and all that. Max von Sydow as the head Greybeard was cool, Charles Martinet as Paarthurnax was cool.

Whose the character with cool memorable line reads in this game?

the epic line read is the random spacer death rattle that sounds like the verve piep. you know the one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1umEXpGHc0E&t=150s

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Like, Starfield is ok. Its not terrible, maybe just a little bland. But it checks the boxes that most people want from Bethesda - Big world, open ended, free to do as you please, decent acting/voice work, a story.

Bethesda has issues, but they know their average target audience, and thats why FO76 was such a fuckup: they strayed from that path to seek after the Multiplayer content that was making money. FO76 would've been fine as a single player open world game like everything else.

I just hope they can refocus on Elder Scrolls again.

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved
Game companies 100% know they are creating addictive mechanics. They have psychologists on staff to make sure of it.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

A lot of mobile game studios did that and did a lot of actual literal addiction research (and I'm sure some non-mobile studios did too) but a lot of it comes from these massive mobile game publishers acquiring the AAA studios and handing down their "engagement 101" guide, disguised as just a gameplan for making an "engaging" game, and I feel like most of these AAA devs and CEOs eat that poo poo up and just go "aw yeah, this is good game-making!" much like their dedicated playerbases

Like, I think the people actually making the games think they're just doing fun chemistry experiments without realizing their bosses gave them a meth cookbook.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

games should not be enjoyable, it’s exploitative forcing players to experience pleasure and seek more

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Addictive mechanics like uh...

Pointless factories that will never need to be defended

Getting legendaries within an hour of game start that do 175 damage compared to starter gun that does 2 damage.

Characters that are flat

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

furthermore, i’ve just about had it with dancing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Bad Purchase posted:

games should not be enjoyable, it’s exploitative forcing players to experience pleasure and seek more

Drugs are really enjoyable too but that doesn't mean it's a wholesome thing when someone feels great after hotrailing meth