Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
COSTCO!!!
PBUC
Executive Member
I make terrible financial decisions here.
BRING BACK THE COMBO SLICE
505 Club
Death To Sams Club
Goku waiting in extremely long gas line.
View Results

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Dick Fontaine posted:

terrible vibes at the costco. must be something in the samples

twas ever thus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I bought these but haven't tried them yet.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

pencilhands posted:

Costco used to have these wonderful big white, fluffy bath towels for like 7 bucks that I just adored. They still have big white fluffy bath towels on the cheap but they leave all of these annoying little fibers all over your face after you dry off. And what I'm wondering is does anyone know where to get towels like they used to have.

I loving HATE THIS.

I had to resort to stealing towels from my gym because they were the only ones I could find anywhere that didn't do this. infuriating poo poo!

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

SirPablo posted:

They're pretty good if you warm them up. You can just microwave them but in the oven with a steam tray underneath is real good

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Soul Dentist posted:

They're pretty good if you warm them up. You can just microwave them but in the oven with a steam tray underneath is real good

lol

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SirPablo posted:

they managed to be a weird mix of bread and pretzels without being very good at either.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

SirPablo posted:

god awful shelf life once you open them too

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

Weembles posted:

I had a lady steal my card right in the checkout lane.

She was ahead of me in line and showed up with a couple of things in her hands and was finishing paying right after I had unloaded everything from my cart onto the belt. When the cashier asked her "is that your cart" pointing to my cart, she said that it was and then put up a big fight when I pointed out that it was mine.

The cashier ended up giving the cart to her - I don't know if it was just to shut her up or if they actually believed her; but, either way, she wheeled away triumphant and I had to stand there holding up the line like an rear end in a top hat while they went to find me a new cart.

This reminds me of the dumbest rule back when I worked at BJ's.

On paper, they wanted each register to have an empty cart ready to be loaded. So in theory, while a customer was unloading their cart, you can load their stuff into a different cart. Then that customer's old cart becomes the next customer's new cart, rinse and repeat.

In practice, it just got in the way because there wasn't space for two carts at once and the customer usually finished unloading before you started checking them out. Then someone who came in without a cart would take your extra cart on the way out and you'd never see it again. It was rare for the extra cart to last more than 10 minutes. Didn't stop this one manager with a stick up her rear end from telling us off for not having one though.

pencilhands
Aug 20, 2022

hark posted:

I loving HATE THIS.

I had to resort to stealing towels from my gym because they were the only ones I could find anywhere that didn't do this. infuriating poo poo!

where does your gym get their towels?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
It happens when the towels haven’t been washed enough. It doesn’t happen at the gym because they go through industrial laundry constantly

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

pencilhands posted:

where does your gym get their towels?

probably steals them from the gym they go to. circle of life, etc.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Anne Whateley posted:

It happens when the towels haven’t been washed enough. It doesn’t happen at the gym because they go through industrial laundry constantly

what does this even mean "washed enough"? I use towels at home generally once, and then throw them in the laundry basket. so they're getting washed around 2 times a week. how often should I be washing my towels to not have them leave fuzzballs all over me upon first use after a wash????

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
I bought those extra large bath sheets about a year ago. They only fuzzed for the first 3-4 washes and were fine after that. I wonder if I got the same ones you're complaining about.

A+ an excellent buy

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

hark posted:

what does this even mean "washed enough"? I use towels at home generally once, and then throw them in the laundry basket. so they're getting washed around 2 times a week. how often should I be washing my towels to not have them leave fuzzballs all over me upon first use after a wash????

I don't know but I've never had this issue with any towel ever. Maybe a bad batch. Do you wash and machine dry? I just got new towels and they lost a lot of lint on the first machine dry but not as much thereafter.

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
I'm a commercial laundry professional, I install and work on chemical systems. The best thing you can do for your towels is not put softener on them. Over time it accumulates and makes them hydrophobic, so they don't absorb water as well and lose whatever fluffiness they had. If you have to, use a tiny amount. Our towel formulas use like 1-2 oz of softener for 50 lbs of laundry. I use wool balls on my towels at home.

It's more pronounced with things like microfiber, but holds true for towels of all kinds.

You can't hurt them in the dryer, unless you're getting them really insanely hot with like a commercial natural gas dryer.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I was just coming to post 'don't use fabric softener' but I bow to the commercial expertise. No dryer sheets, no softener, towels remain just fine.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

What are dryer sheets even for. Whole laundry industry seems like a scam, I just use the soap.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I just put a bar of soap in the washing machine

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Gaius Marius posted:

What are dryer sheets even for. Whole laundry industry seems like a scam, I just use the soap.

Antistatic and yet another fragrance on top of the soap/softener.

edit: I'm sure there are fragrance free ones

SirPablo
May 1, 2004

Pillbug
I like things to smell nice

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

sock it to me! posted:

I'm a commercial laundry professional, I install and work on chemical systems. The best thing you can do for your towels is not put softener on them. Over time it accumulates and makes them hydrophobic, so they don't absorb water as well and lose whatever fluffiness they had. If you have to, use a tiny amount. Our towel formulas use like 1-2 oz of softener for 50 lbs of laundry. I use wool balls on my towels at home.

It's more pronounced with things like microfiber, but holds true for towels of all kinds.

You can't hurt them in the dryer, unless you're getting them really insanely hot with like a commercial natural gas dryer.

Since this is your professional zone, do you have comments on water softeners? It won't actually change anything for me personally as I have a water softener and love it strictly for showering and how easily soap lathers, but I am curious what that does for clothing and towels and things for laundry, if anything.

Maybe just allows you to use less soap?

sock it to me!
Feb 7, 2010
Softer water will always get better cleaning outcomes. Softer water has a slightly lower surface tension, and it does mix better with chemicals and get quicker, more complete penetration on whatever you're washing.

I've been in the cleaning industry for 20 years, maybe I should make a cleaning science/theory thread?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Can you do my laundry dude? I'm like a month behind.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

sock it to me! posted:

Softer water will always get better cleaning outcomes. Softer water has a slightly lower surface tension, and it does mix better with chemicals and get quicker, more complete penetration on whatever you're washing.

I've been in the cleaning industry for 20 years, maybe I should make a cleaning science/theory thread?

I would definitely check this thread out. both out of interest and also to potentially solve my annoying towel problem.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

sock it to me! posted:

:justpost:

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hark posted:

I would definitely check this thread out. both out of interest and also to potentially solve my annoying towel problem.

I would check it out then vehemently disagree with anything that deviates from my established world view and refuse to follow the recommendations.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

sock it to me! posted:

Thanks for your answer and yeah, post a thread. We all have our things we do and it's fun to talk about ourselves and people genuinely are interested no matter how lame it might seem to yourself.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Gaius Marius posted:

We use dryer sheets in the winter when it's cold and dry where we live. Seems to reduce the static so you don't have a solid clump of clothes

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

who has a whole months worth of laundry

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Top tier Costco hack I discovered today.

Have a roommate who works at the church. When they do a run for themselves ask them to get you what you need. You get discounted rate and don't need to do rhe shopping yourself.

Sadly Canadian Costco doesn't have either the Jongga or th3 chicken bakes

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Saucer Hovers posted:

It’s only like 3 packs of Costco socks and underwear.

Easy peasy.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

The Saucer Hovers posted:

I should probably get rid of some of my clothes. Some of my shirts gotta be like 20 years old lol.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

sock it to me! posted:

Hey why do my white clothes sometimes come out of the electric dryer with permanent yellow blotches? I swear I didn't jizz on those spots. I only use free and clear detergent and nothing else.

Also one of my socks the other day, I put in on and could hear ALL of the elastic in it making crackly sounds, like it all disintegrated at once and wouldn't stay up on my foot. But all my other socks are still fine?

Unrelated but did anyone else try the Kirkland made in USA crew socks? They seem a bit tight, maybe the need more washes to break in. Otherwise pretty thick and comfy.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Zero VGS posted:

Hey why do my white clothes sometimes come out of the electric dryer with permanent yellow blotches? I swear I didn't jizz on those spots.

Is it possible someone else did

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I have a bright yellow golf shirt.

I set it for a 6 AM t time and my cat pissed on it

Rude

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

bunnyofdoom posted:

Top tier Costco hack I discovered today.

Have a roommate who works at the church. When they do a run for themselves ask them to get you what you need. You get discounted rate and don't need to do rhe shopping yourself.

Sadly Canadian Costco doesn't have either the Jongga or th3 chicken bakes

Costco doesn't do employee discounts, so your friend is either stealing the merch and charging you for it, or eating the difference themselves because they want in your pants.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

binge crotching posted:

Costco doesn't do employee discounts, so your friend is either stealing the merch and charging you for it, or eating the difference themselves because they want in your pants.

Really good username/avatar/post synergy going on here. :allears:

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I just checked and my business center opens next month. I will have been to 4 warehouse opening days after this one.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

Hed posted:

I just checked and my business center opens next month. I will have been to 4 warehouse opening days after this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

I got the costco monopoly and I am honestly stunned at the amount of effort they put into it. The chance/community chest cards have little pallets they sit on top of! They did way, way more than you usually see with gimmicky custom monopoly sets.