Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I really don't think this Quick Draft 8-creature Rakdos Control deck should have gone 7-1, but early removal to stall then wait to draw your bombs works I guess.

Rat Out was easily the MVP of this run as removing their first/second turn x/1 while creating a target for my Role cards was often an unrecoverable tempo swing.

The last game was tense, and I won off of consecutive topdecks of a bargained High Fae Negotiator and Twisted Fealty for exactly lethal a turn before I would have died to an unblockable Gingerbrute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Wizards tried this in paper during Mirrodin/Onslaught standard, where both you and your opponents played the exact same 60-card deck of Arcbound Ravagers and Shrapnel Blasts. It was not very popular.

Playing preset decks sounds like it sucks the fun out of it. I was thinking more like, playing Standard and after a match having rematch&swap decks for it. Playing other people's commander decks like that is fun

Dr. Stab posted:

This is how keyforge works.

Read this as KeyQuest at first and got a little bummed, RIP KeyQuest. They straight up lost the source code lol.

KeyForge seemed interesting when it first came out but still haven't tried it. I keep waiting for a gameboard friend to have it instead.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Playing preset decks sounds like it sucks the fun out of it. I was thinking more like, playing Standard and after a match having rematch&swap decks for it. Playing other people's commander decks like that is fun

I think they were making a joke about the nature of the standard meta during Mirrodin/Onslaught

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There was that one time where they banned a card in standard unless you were playing exactly the precon deck they were using the card as a selling point for lol

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Gynovore posted:

I hopped on this afternoon after :420: and joined Explorer thinking it was Standard, and didn't even realize it until the second game. Won both games.

same just now except I'm not high, only dumb

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

There was that one time where they banned a card in standard unless you were playing exactly the precon deck they were using the card as a selling point for lol

Wasn't that Skullclamp? Jesus, that year of standard was pretty dire.

I recall that year's Worlds being RAffinity, Ironworks, or G/x artifact hate decks.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

anakha posted:

Wasn't that Skullclamp? Jesus, that year of standard was pretty dire.

I recall that year's Worlds being RAffinity, Ironworks, or G/x artifact hate decks.

it was stoneforge mystic, they put it in an event deck that released 10 days before the ban happened.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/news/feature/standard-bannings-explained-2011-06-20-0

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
any advice for the Midweek Magic explorer event? or is the standard grab your bargain basement aggro red deck advice apply to this one?

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Starsfan posted:

any advice for the Midweek Magic explorer event? or is the standard grab your bargain basement aggro red deck advice apply to this one?

I'm not seeing it actually, they seem to be having issues with the midweek events lately

but yes, if you don't have a big explorer collection then you can probably get away with playing aggro (or a good standard deck) to get to 2 wins simply enough

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Judgy Fucker posted:

I think they were making a joke about the nature of the standard meta during Mirrodin/Onslaught

Ohh lol woosh. Unfinity was my first set so I don't know anything before the Attractions dominance era we're in now

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

kalel posted:

I'm not seeing it actually, they seem to be having issues with the midweek events lately

but yes, if you don't have a big explorer collection then you can probably get away with playing aggro (or a good standard deck) to get to 2 wins simply enough

yeah I just got a system message in game about how they took the drafts down for the time being.. anyone else see that?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Starsfan posted:

yeah I just got a system message in game about how they took the drafts down for the time being.. anyone else see that?

Drafts have been going bugfuck since yesterday.

wei
Jul 27, 2006

Toozler posted:

For the limited sickos, I haven't played much RW aggro and have 2 (!) decks to build. Topics include such hits as:

- How much Ash is too much Ash?
- Gingerbrute and Dragon Mantle - meme or dream?
- Is Celebrant garbo with just 1 Vigil? There is 1 Heartflame Duelist so Crescendo should probably be a Celebrant

https://sealeddeck.tech/tVAD1kdiCM

https://sealeddeck.tech/sJUjhlMUYh

4 maybe, she tends to get traded off or have removal pointed at her.
Mantle's fine, just awkward into open mana. I'll play it in a deck like this but it's often one of the last few adds. Your first pool is very good so it doesn't make the cut.
I've liked Celebrant in decks like these, it doesn't want to draw many lands and am often looking for that Twisted Fealty or whatever to end the game. Bouncing cheap creatures for Celebration the next turn or to drop Aura removal spells comes up sometimes.

Deck 1 https://sealeddeck.tech/Vz5UWHiUO2
I added Return Triumphant because it gets very silly with Ash, and the hasty 1s are also decent targets. I'm a huge fan of Twisted Fealty but your removal suite is already very good so I went down to 2. Cut a Flick again because the other removal spells are better or cheaper, added Archon's Glory because it's more efficient and ends games/swings races.

Deck 2 https://sealeddeck.tech/9uTRcJ5RpO
Stonesplitter Bolt is bad outside of the multicolour or UR decks with Hatching Plans, this pool has good removal so it's unnecessary. I like 17 lands with 2 Witch's Marks and 2 Celebrants, and the 10th Mountain makes RR on turn 2/3 more likely. 7 Plains should be fine since it's just Vigil that needs to be played on curve.

I don't feel too strongly about it so if you don't want the 17th land, the last slot can be Mantle, Crescendo or Pie-Wielder. I'm also unsure on Mantle vs Crescendo but my guess is Mantle is a little better in this one.

wei fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 19, 2023

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Shrecknet posted:

Some people want to play a game where the only variable is player skill; if you're piloting the best deck, playing the mirror nonstop, then you need to be able to out-pilot the opponent. I think the idea of timmy, johnny, spike has been a little deprecated in the last ten years but there are people for whom the deckbuilding and personalization isn't as appealing as being able to 'find the line' and win from positions they should lose from, based purely on deck knowledge and experience and skill. It's my main thing I hate about all the streamers, that they denigrate burn or sligh decks as if they take no skill, when they're in fact the most challenging decks to play because of how compacted your decision tree timeframe is.

That's actually a really good explanation. I never thought of it that way. I'm actually pretty terrible at playing my deck. Just misplay all the time due to impatience and not looking at the board.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Some people want to play a game where the only variable is player skill; if you're piloting the best deck, playing the mirror nonstop, then you need to be able to out-pilot the opponent. I think the idea of timmy, johnny, spike has been a little deprecated in the last ten years but there are people for whom the deckbuilding and personalization isn't as appealing as being able to 'find the line' and win from positions they should lose from, based purely on deck knowledge and experience and skill. It's my main thing I hate about all the streamers, that they denigrate burn or sligh decks as if they take no skill, when they're in fact the most challenging decks to play because of how compacted your decision tree timeframe is.

Normally I roll my eyes when streamers break out their condescending opinions on "easy" decks but a comatose player can play Selesnya Enchants and coast to a T3 win with even a halfway decent opening hand and opp isn't playing counterspells.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

There's definitely piloting skill involved, I finally reached Gold tier a month or two ago, piloting a deck I got off here (U/B with the shark typhoon that creates phyrexians) and at first I was feeling bad that I was 'coasting' on someone else's hard thinks, but now I recognize my part in it, there's so many interactions and variables for each game that you can't just grab a deck off the web and ride it into mythic, you have to know it very well, know its strenghts, weaknesses, and even then you'll get surprised positively or negatively from time to time.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Way I see it, the card designers did the hard thinks and netdecks are the ultimate result.

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

faceless haven from kaldheim

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

Thanks! These are great tips, appreciate the time.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Horace Kinch posted:

Normally I roll my eyes when streamers break out their condescending opinions on "easy" decks but a comatose player can play Selesnya Enchants and coast to a T3 win with even a halfway decent opening hand and opp isn't playing counterspells.
The god draws from every deck result in a turn 3 win (or deterministically ending the game on turn 3 if you're playing control). MonoR can steamroll Enchantments same as everything else if the cards line up perfectly. The skill comes in identifying what threats your opponent is presenting that matter, which ones categorically do not matter, and how to navigate that.

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
There's a really cool combo with Tamiyo and Three Blind Mice. Tamiyo makes a token of copy of a card in your graveyard (Three Blind Mice) so you can just copy the saga each turn with chapters 2-4. You get a ton of sagas on the field and a 1/1 with each new one. It's a fun finisher.

LegenVD make a video about it in a control shell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdEJotTpmVE

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Whooping Crabs posted:

There's a really cool combo with Tamiyo and Three Blind Mice. Tamiyo makes a token of copy of a card in your graveyard (Three Blind Mice) so you can just copy the saga each turn with chapters 2-4. You get a ton of sagas on the field and a 1/1 with each new one. It's a fun finisher.

LegenVD make a video about it in a control shell https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdEJotTpmVE

Yeah I tried this and if the opponent hasn't seen it yet, when the enchantment copies itself for the first time, they mouse over Tamiyo, they mouse over the token, sometimes they try to exile one of them, but it's already too late. I love it.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

The god draws from every deck result in a turn 3 win (or deterministically ending the game on turn 3 if you're playing control). MonoR can steamroll Enchantments same as everything else if the cards line up perfectly. The skill comes in identifying what threats your opponent is presenting that matter, which ones categorically do not matter, and how to navigate that.

I like playing as MonoRed and daring my opponents not to block something. Go ahead, save your precious turn 5 combo piece lol. Sometimes just finding them at one thing they're too precious to sacrifice to sneak little extra damage in early can win the game later. Same with bad trades, sometimes they let em through scared of tricks instants or whatever, or hell sometimes all you need is one dingbat to get through for a double lightning next turn.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Whooping Crabs posted:

this deck looks cool but it makes me sad that legenvd missed their chance in the last match to copy wandering emperor six times, using the flash to exile a creature before each legend rule trigger

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Venuz Patrol posted:

this deck looks cool but it makes me sad that legenvd missed their chance in the last match to copy wandering emperor six times, using the flash to exile a creature before each legend rule trigger

legend rule isn't a trigger, you don't get to respond to picking one to get binned

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Starsfan posted:

4 Lucky Clover and 4 Chancellor of Tales enables a hilarious amount of firepower. I also realized that both cards let you intentionally fizzle your adventure creatures into the graveyard, if you want to then get multiple back with Order of Midnight.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I posted it upthread, but definitely give the Naya Adventures list a shot if you've got most/all the parts for it, I absolutely beclowned a bunch of people in the event with it. it's a seriously powerful deck, able to withstand almost any matchup...except Creativity decks. nothing you can do against them if they've got an ideal opening hand. but it can outlast basically any other deck, ESPECIALLY if you can get even a single clover on the field, poo poo gets stupid. like, turn 4 or 5 16/16 hasted ornithopter stupid, and that's not even getting into multi-copied lightning bolts and stomps. pollen-shield hare is not a particularly amazing creature on its own in the deck, but if you can get one or two love struck beast token creations with a clover in play, or pia doing her thing, you can clover right into multiple 10/10 or bigger creatures out of nowhere and crush your opponent. you've got a ton of options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjnvzh-Yqic&hd=1

decklist:
1 Jegantha, the Wellspring
3 Heartflame Duelist
4 Bonecrusher Giant
4 Edgewall Innkeeper
4 Lovestruck Beast
4 Pia Nalaar, Consul of Revival
4 Pollen-Shield Hare
4 Questing Druid
3 Torch the Tower
2 Escape to the Wilds
4 Lucky Clover
1 Forest
1 Plains
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
2 Inspiring Vantage
2 Mana Confluence
2 Sacred Foundry
3 Copperline Gorge
3 Razorverge Thicket
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden

2 Declaration in Stone
2 Giant Killer
2 Invasion of Gobakhan
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Alpine Moon
2 Knight of Autumn

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Starsfan posted:

That’s what I did, just jammed a bunch of good red cards together and grabbed some quick wins. I’m not sure if Goblin Chainwhirler is still relevant/competitive in Explorer but I just love that card so much.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

Starsfan posted:

I saw a bunch of real decks actually, I was planing humans and faced monored, mirror, mirror, greasefang, and rakdos midrange.

I assume even cheap monored can take wins if you craft some of the better C an U like burning tree emissary.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Starsfan posted:

I was super glad to dust off my B/W clerics deck. 4X Cleric class, a bunch of clerics, a bunch of black removal :getin:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I posted it upthread, but definitely give the Naya Adventures list a shot if you've got most/all the parts for it,

in that list you're missing 2 reidane in the side and there's 2 jegantha listed when it ought to be one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Oh weird I copied it directly from the coolstuffinc article, dunno why they have the wrong list

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Starsfan posted:

I copied a boros heroic deck that was ultimately pretty cheap, except the mana base, and I already had a lot of that.

Squinky v2.0
Nov 16, 2006

Behind you! A three headed monkey!

College Slice

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Yeah I tried this and if the opponent hasn't seen it yet, when the enchantment copies itself for the first time, they mouse over Tamiyo, they mouse over the token, sometimes they try to exile one of them, but it's already too late. I love it.

Yenna, Redtooth Regent does the 3 blind mice combo too, been messing with that deck in HBrawl since WOE released

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Starsfan posted:

I used my Gyruda Combo deck lol

Companion
1 Gyruda, Doom of Depths (IKO) 221

Deck
2 Boseiju, Who Endures (NEO) 266
4 Breeding Pool (RNA) 246
1 Darkbore Pathway (KHM) 254
1 Island (ANA) 4
4 Growth Spiral (RNA) 178
3 Gyruda, Doom of Depths (IKO) 221
2 Llanowar Wastes (BRO) 264
4 Mirrorhall Mimic (VOW) 68
1 Otawara, Soaring City (NEO) 271
4 Overgrown Tomb (GRN) 253
1 Port of Karfell (KHM) 265
1 Shipwreck Marsh (MID) 267
4 Spark Double (WAR) 68
1 Swamp (MIR) 340
4 Undercover Operative (SNC) 63
3 Watery Grave (GRN) 259
4 Wispweaver Angel (KLR) 37
4 Wolfwillow Haven (THB) 205
3 Yavimaya Coast (DMU) 261
1 Zagoth Triome (IKO) 259
3 Doomskar Titan (KHM) 130
1 Forest (ANA) 10
4 Llanowar Loamspeaker (DMU) 170

Sideboard
1 Gyruda, Doom of Depths (IKO) 221

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Saucer Crab posted:

legend rule isn't a trigger, you don't get to respond to picking one to get binned

right, so if you have six effects that copy the wandering emperor on the stack, you can resolve one, keep the new copy, activate her, then resolve the next copy trigger. it only works for the emperor because she has flash on the turn she enters the battlefield

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

are premier drafts still offline? the status page seems to indicate that they're back but i don't see them on the client

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Starsfan posted:

Fun advice: Skeletal Swarming. Overwhelm your foes with an endless torrent of skeletons!

Practical advice: I used a monoblack deck and filled it with typical disruptive stuff like Thoughtsieze and Liliana, then some spot removal like Heartless Act & Fatal Push (spot removal to taste, obviously). Then pressure with Llolth & other misc creatures. Blood on the Snow if I need to reset the board and slam down something annoying on the backswing. Invoke Despair and Meathook Massacre are legal in explorer too!

That said, things like sweepers and graveyard hate are recommended for dealing with Monogreen and Greasefang. Whatever deck you bring, pack field of ruin/demolition field to shut down Nykthos/AFR creaturelands. Those two decks are very obnoxious to play against so kneecapping part of their wincon helps.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Captain Invictus posted:

I posted it upthread, but definitely give the Naya Adventures list a shot if you've got most/all the parts for it, I absolutely beclowned a bunch of people in the event with it. it's a seriously powerful deck, able to withstand almost any matchup...except Creativity decks. nothing you can do against them if they've got an ideal opening hand. but it can outlast basically any other deck, ESPECIALLY if you can get even a single clover on the field, poo poo gets stupid. like, turn 4 or 5 16/16 hasted ornithopter stupid, and that's not even getting into multi-copied lightning bolts and stomps. pollen-shield hare is not a particularly amazing creature on its own in the deck, but if you can get one or two love struck beast token creations with a clover in play, or pia doing her thing, you can clover right into multiple 10/10 or bigger creatures out of nowhere and crush your opponent. you've got a ton of options.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kjnvzh-Yqic&hd=1

decklist:
3 Heartflame Duelist
4 Bonecrusher Giant
4 Edgewall Innkeeper
4 Lovestruck Beast
4 Pia Nalaar, Consul of Revival
4 Pollen-Shield Hare
4 Questing Druid
3 Torch the Tower
2 Escape to the Wilds
4 Lucky Clover
1 Forest
1 Plains
1 Boseiju, Who Endures
1 Eiganjo, Seat of the Empire
2 Inspiring Vantage
2 Mana Confluence
2 Sacred Foundry
3 Copperline Gorge
3 Razorverge Thicket
4 Stomping Ground
4 Temple Garden

2 Declaration in Stone
2 Giant Killer
2 Invasion of Gobakhan
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Alpine Moon
2 Knight of Autumn

I've been running this the past week and it absolutely stomps people. I think there are some tweaks to be made - Questing Druid is a little underwhelming, mana base probably needs 2 Boseiju more than an Eijano, and I'm still not 100% sold on Pollen-Shield Hare - but it is much stronger than it looks on paper for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Big Ol Marsh Pussy posted:

are premier drafts still offline? the status page seems to indicate that they're back but i don't see them on the client

https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1704278552030666915
https://twitter.com/MTG_Arena/status/1704535018981442026