Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

no lube so what posted:

yooo, what the go to for a hepa for small rooms?

levoit core 300 is just about perfect for a bedroom or office (~150 cfm cadr) iirc and it doesn't make an unreasonable amount of noise on high

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

SardonicTyrant posted:

Does anyone remember Metal Gear Solid 5's plot? There is an infectious parasite (covid) that can only be cured with an herb called wolbachia (vaccines), but in an endgame mission the parasite mutates (variants) and the guys that go in to investigate get infected because they mutated and the wolbachia doesnt work, but Snake goes in and he's fine because he wore a respirator (respirator). Couldn't stop laughing in that mission.

Also there is a pair of special gogglea to tell who is infected (RAT tests) but they dont detect the infection in one guy the first time (false negatives)

Big Boss: hey I’m gonna need you guys to sacrifice yourselves to keep the economy running

Zantie
Mar 30, 2003

Death. The capricious dance of Now You Stop Moving Forever.

Rick posted:

Then he started talking about some congresspeople who got caught smoking and groping each other or something said the word "titty" probably ten times in 30 seconds.

Boebert? Only congress person I can think of for being in the news recently regarding titties and smoking/vaping.

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
https://twitter.com/JReinerMD/status/1704311938472194475

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Petey posted:

i don't want to slow anybody's roll but: between the lovely rollout and the known timing (i.e. that protection against infection lasts 2-3 months max), doesn't waiting until like late october for the boost make sense anyway (in america)? to let the system work itself out + maximize protection from thanksgiving through the new year?

Not if you want prime plus boost.

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

I suspect this has something to do with population density as well? 🤔

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Zantie posted:

Boebert? Only congress person I can think of for being in the news recently regarding titties and smoking/vaping.

Yeah that's it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
new study from Japan: old vaccines do nothing against new variants

https://twitter.com/systemsvirology/status/1703929785511215399?s=46

puncturewound78
Apr 18, 2023
on a plane rn.
in respirator we trust

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

puncturewound78 posted:

on a plane rn.
in respirator we trust

:getin:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Nothing new to the thread, but this is a new interview with Al-Aly about the VA study he did with reinfection PASC risk (removed preamble only):
"Does the risk of getting long Covid increase each time you get reinfected?"

https://www.statnews.com/2023/09/20/do-long-covid-odds-increase-with-second-infection/ posted:

(..)
Let’s set the stage: What did you learn about Covid reinfection in your study based on the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ national health care database?

We compared people who have a reinfection to people who have no reinfection — not comparing the severity of infection versus the first. What we found is really undeniable: It’s very clear in our data that reinfection contributes additional risk of long Covid.

What does that mean for patients?

If you’ve had Covid previously and dodged a bullet and did not get long Covid the first time around and you’re getting another infection now, you’re pretty much trying your luck again. People need to understand that you can get long Covid the second time, even if you dodged the bullet the first time. You can get long Covid the third time.

What if you already have long Covid?

If you had long Covid before, upon reinfection there is a risk of worsening problems. You may have had brain fog and fatigue but not dysautonomia or other manifestations. Long Covid is a broad basket of conditions. Even if you’ve had it before, you’re also trying your luck again.

So each time you are infected with Covid, you are rolling the dice on long Covid, whether it’s a first infection or second or third or so on?

That’s correct.

Does that risk add up, or does each roll of the dice stand alone?

This is really hard to answer. I can give you my speculation: There are two opposing forces at play here. It could be that prior infection may have primed the immune system in a way resulting in subclinical damage that people are not even aware that they have. The second infection sort of surfaces it and makes it more clinically evident and diagnosable, and they start feeling fatigue and brain fog and all of that.

In the other, opposing pathway, the immune system has seen this virus before on the first infection in a particular individual, and when they get a second infection, the immune system would say, “I’ve seen this virus before. I know how to deal with it, I’m going to clear it better” and they may have actually even milder disease.

This is why long Covid is so complex: These two things can happen in different directions.

Do people get over long Covid?

Anecdotally, from the clinics we know that some people come back and say, “I feel better” or “I feel I improved.” If you dig a little bit deeper, they did not get back to their baseline; they adjusted their baseline. They used to be able to walk the dog three blocks out of the house and now they only do a half a block. Or they used to garden Saturday or Sunday and now they feel exhausted just watering.

Recovery, unfortunately — for fatigue and dysautonomia and all that — is actually quite rare.

Where should research be focusing?

Long Covid does not seem to be self-resolving, in the sense of spontaneous recovery or recovery in the absence of a cure or a treatment that’s been validated. It further raises the importance of finding treatment because this is not going to go away.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

Nothing new to the thread, but this is a new interview with Al-Aly about the VA study he did with reinfection PASC risk (removed preamble only):

one of the joys of having very young children is knowing that, without either a decline in the rate of long covid due to repeat vaccinations and infections or some sort of cure, someone in my home will probably have it by the time the eldest hits grade school

feels good

why, yes, we do need two incomes to function as a household I assume the government will provide if the worst happens

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Pingui posted:

Ty for posting. Not surprising in the slightest, but not exactly great news. Societal implications seem bad!

Insanite posted:

one of the joys of having very young children is knowing that, without either a decline in the rate of long covid due to repeat vaccinations and infections or some sort of cure, someone in my home will probably have it by the time the eldest hits grade school

feels good

why, yes, we do need two incomes to function as a household I assume the government will provide if the worst happens
They will provide us with a recovery plan based on graded exercise therapy and free* bootstraps

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
the upside of an exposure i guess is it means we probably shouldn't rush to get the vaccines even if we didn't test positive because we might've been positive

so everything should be less cluster-fucky when that timer runs out, hopefully - and maybe novavax too!

Insanite posted:

feels good

it owns being a parent in this poo poo, like doing a legendary labor

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Supply and insurance issues snarl fail Covid-19 vaccine campaign:

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/20/health/covid-vaccine-insurance-supply-complications/index.html posted:

Supply and insurance issues snarl fall Covid-19 vaccine campaign for some

It has been just over a week since the US Food and Drug Administration and the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention gave their nods to updated Covid-19 vaccines, which they have urged Americans to get without delay as the nation sees an uptick in cases, hospitalizations and deaths.

“Those vaccines are now available. They are out there in pharmacies, doctor’s offices, health centers around the country,” Dr. Nirav Shah, principal deputy director of the CDC, said Saturday on CNN.

The agency has recommended that everyone ages 6 months and older get one of the new shots. It has made the same recommendations for flu shots, which are also available now and can be given at the same time as the new Covid-19 vaccines.

At least in theory.

Some people have booked appointments and gotten a shot already, but others who have tried to follow the CDC’s guidance have run into roadblocks that didn’t exist before the government commercialized the Covid-19 vaccines this year. Some pharmacies have scheduled vaccine appointments only to cancel them when they run out of doses. And people have arrived for their vaccine appointments expecting the cost to be fully covered by their insurance, only to be told that they have to pay out of pocket for the shot, which retails for between $100 and $200, with an administration fee.
(..)
Back to ‘health care as we know it’
During previous Covid-19 vaccination campaigns, when the government was in charge of buying, distributing and monitoring the vaccines, Kates says Americans got a taste of what universal health care could look like, and everyone had access.

“Now, what’s happened with commercialization is, we’re back to health care as we know it, and its challenges and its complexities,” she said.
(..)
“How many millions of people are going to try to get vaccinated and then just get discouraged or upset and then just not get it?” she asked.

Vaccines should be free for most
People who don’t have health insurance or who don’t have enough are eligible to get Covid-19 vaccines for free at Walgreens and CVS, and through local health departments and federally qualified health centers through the government’s Bridge Access Program.

For people with insurance, the Affordable Care Act requires nearly all plans to cover vaccines without any cost-sharing, meaning people shouldn’t even owe a co-pay when they get one.

But there are some caveats. For new vaccines, like those offered this year to seniors and infants for respiratory syncytial virus, or RSV, the law gives insurers up to a year to add the shots to their plans. For the Covid-19 vaccines, new provisions in the CARES Act shortened that timeframe to just 15 business days.

Insurance companies are still within that 15-day window and so technically aren’t breaking the law, but many people who’ve run into coverage issues say they can’t understand why these companies weren’t ready.

“They should have had a plan for this. It was the most predictable thing that was coming down the pike in health care this year,” said Eric Rogers, 38, of Chicago.
(..)
Rogers said he paid $155.99 for his vaccine. He’s going to try to submit his receipt for reimbursement, but he doesn’t have high hopes.

“They’re probably just gonna tell me ‘Well, you didn’t follow our instructions,’ and, well, I didn’t have any instructions,” he said.
(..)
“COVID vaccines are covered at no cost at any in-network pharmacy or doctor’s office for Cigna Healthcare customers. If a Cigna customer believes their COVID vaccine claim was denied incorrectly, we encourage them to contact us for reimbursement,” the company said in a statement.
(..)
“We apologize for any confusion this may have caused. Florida Blue does cover the updated vaccines at zero cost for most commercial and fully-insured members as well as Florida Blue Medicare members. Any impacted members should contact their pharmacy for reimbursement or file a claim with Florida Blue for reimbursement,” the company said in a statement.
(..)
Pharmacies juggle cost and access
Marc Ost, co-owner of the independent community pharmacy Eric’s Rx Shoppe in Horsham, Pennsylvania, said he’s been dealing with three main issues: cost, supply and insurance coverage.

When the government was paying for the shots, Ost didn’t have to absorb the cost of extra doses that expired before they could be used. Now, he’ll have to pay for any doses he can’t sell.

Vaccine maker Moderna allowed him to preorder doses directly, but Pfizer would not. Ost said he doesn’t know of any community pharmacies carrying Pfizer’s Covid-19 shots.

Ost got his Moderna doses on Saturday and has filled appointments for all 500 doses he got.

His pharmacy started giving Covid-19 vaccines on Monday. Some insurance plans and their pharmacy benefit managers have codes set up for billing, and there wasn’t a problem getting coverage with them, but other companies aren’t yet covering the shots. He said he’s had to cancel some appointments.

“Unfortunately, we can’t give a shot that costs over $100 unless we’re going to get paid for it or the patient’s going to get paid for it,” he said.

“Our goal was really to give a vaccine to anybody who wants it, but unfortunately, that has not been the case, at least for the first few days,” Ost said.

He said all of this has resulted in some confusion and disappointment, especially because people don’t always realize the vaccines aren’t free anymore.

“Patients think it’s covered and also that it’s free, not realizing that there is a cost for this and it’s not something that our pharmacy can just eat the cost of,”
Ost said.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Zugzwang posted:

(..)
They will provide us with a recovery plan based on graded exercise therapy and free* bootstraps

Sounds expensive. US edition MAID on the other hand...

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Pingui posted:

Sounds expensive. US edition MAID on the other hand...

this. this is what's gonna happen--particularly with the long-term care cost and healthcare staffing situations.

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
Whiteboard in this walgreens says that Humana part D doesn't cover the vaccine yet and to ring it up as cash and resubmit.

What the actual gently caress were they doing this whole time

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

SixteenShells posted:

Whiteboard in this walgreens says that Humana part D doesn't cover the vaccine yet and to ring it up as cash and resubmit.

What the actual gently caress were they doing this whole time

revenge brunching

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Well I got my Moderna juice. Side effects about a 6/10. Gave a PSA at our staff meeting that the vaccine is available if anyone so chooses.

I’m 100% sure this is bogus but one coworker then told me that his doctor told him that Pfizer is in the news for paying the biggest fine by a pharmaceutical company in history and that his doctor recommended against the Pfizer vaccine. this isn’t in the news though and not even in right wing channels that I can find. anyone know wtf this is about?

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Companies pay fines all the time, usually fraud related as a cost of doing business, if he can't say what the fraud was about then it's meaningless.

A $1b fine for fraud is nothing. A huge fine for unsanitary factory conditions is another thing entirely.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Is their doctor a time traveler from 2009? Pfizer had to pay a large fine for fraud waaaay back then

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

kreeningsons posted:

Well I got my Moderna juice. Side effects about a 6/10. Gave a PSA at our staff meeting that the vaccine is available if anyone so chooses.

I’m 100% sure this is bogus but one coworker then told me that his doctor told him that Pfizer is in the news for paying the biggest fine by a pharmaceutical company in history and that his doctor recommended against the Pfizer vaccine. this isn’t in the news though and not even in right wing channels that I can find. anyone know wtf this is about?

evil corps (all corps) pay fines all of the time. if the fines aren't enough to destroy them, that's just the cost of doing business. pfizer's paid out billions over off-label-drug marketing in the past, and they're still humming along.

doesn't reflect the quality of their covid vaccine.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

kreeningsons posted:

This, I’m guessing.

quote:

A post on Instagram, liked more than 28,000 times, appears to link a press conference about pharmaceutical company Pfizer being fined $2.3 billion with the Covid-19 vaccines.

The Instagram reel features a clip of then-US associate attorney general Thomas Perrelli saying: “Pfizer has agreed to pay $2.3 billion, the largest healthcare fraud settlement in the history of the Department of Justice. Within that $2.3 billion is a criminal fine of $1.195 billion, which makes it the largest criminal fine in history.”

Meanwhile, the caption says: “Were the non- vaccinated "Critical Thinkers!?". The video of the press conference is also followed by a meme with the words: “Me wondering why all the new variants suddenly stopped”, further linking the clip to the Covid-19 pandemic.

Together, this appears to imply that Pfizer has been ordered to pay $2.3 billion in relation to the rollout of its Covid-19 vaccine. The post itself is from 9 May 2023, but there is no information in the post about the date of the press conference, so it is possible that people could perceive the announcement as new.

However, the statement given in the video clip is more than a decade old, and has nothing to do with Covid vaccines made by Pfizer. The company was actually fined $2.3 billion in 2009 after it was found to have illegally promoted uses of four drugs it produced.

Apr 7, 2003

our misinformation ecosystem kicks rear end

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

kreeningsons posted:

By 'his doctor', he means someone with a blue checkmark and 'MD' in their name on twitter

Fireside Nut
Feb 10, 2010

turp

This thread is so great - appreciate the Walgreens recommendation. After having two of my CVS appointments cancelled, I booked at Walgreens last night and got a Pfizer jab for the first time! :toot: They said they went through their entire supply in a few days - tons of walk-ins. That was kind of encouraging and surprising to hear.

Also, check this out. There was a guy behind me in line was probably in his mid-40's and there with his wife and daughter. This is not a fair stereotype at all, but if you made me guess whether or not this guy loves Trump I wouldn't hesitate to guess yes. Unfair stereotypes aside, the tech was checking him in and asked if it had been more than 2 months since his last vaccine and he said he had NEVER had a Covid vaccine before. It just floored me. Why now? What changed? :psyduck:

Regardless, I suppose the lesson here is that "he who is without original antigenic sin cast the first stone."

Insanite posted:

feels good

:same:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Okay, this is important stuff, but I would urge anyone to stick to the quoted part here and not read the quotes in the study, unless you are absolutely at the top of your mental game and don't have children. I am pretty resilient and don't have kids, but am going to tap out for a bit. It is very :nms:
"Impact of Long Covid on the school experiences of children and young people: a qualitative study"

https://bmjopen.bmj.com/content/13/9/e075756 posted:

Abstract
Objectives To explore the impact of Long Covid (LC) on the school experiences of children and young people (CYP).

Design Qualitative study using narrative interviews.

Participants 22 CYP (aged 10–18 years, 15 female) with LC and 15 parents/caregivers (13 female) of CYP (aged 5–18 years) with LC.

Setting Interviews were conducted between October 2021 and July 2022 via online video call or telephone. Recruitment routes included social media, LC support groups, clinicians, community groups and snowballing.

Results Three key findings were identified. Finding 1: Going to school is a valued part of CYP’s lives and participants viewed educational attainment as important for their future trajectories. Returning to school full time was highlighted as a key part of regaining ‘normal life’. Finding 2: Attending school (in-person or online) with LC is extremely difficult; even a gradual return required CYP to balance the impact of being at and engaging with school, with the need to manage symptoms to prevent relapse. Often this meant prioritising school and rest over other aspects of their lives. Finding 3: School responses to CYP with LC were reported to be mixed and hampered by difficulties communicating with healthcare professionals during the pandemic and a lack of awareness of LC among healthcare and education professionals. Participants viewed supportive school responses as staff believing, understanding and taking them seriously, alongside schools offering tailored and flexible adaptations which allowed engagement with school while limiting any deterioration of symptoms.

Conclusions This study describes how LC affects the school experiences of CYP and generates recommendations for supportive school responses alongside supportive healthcare professionals. Further research could explore the approaches that facilitate a successful return to school for CYP with LC and investigate education professionals’ perspectives on support they require to positively engage with returning pupils.
(..)
Results
(..)
Most CYP’s accounts indicated that they had been too ill to attend school regularly or undertake online learning and some were not attending school at all when interviewed. GP and hospital appointments also caused frequent school absences. Analysis revealed a strong desire for their lives to return to the way they were before having Covid and CYP spoke about being able to go back to school as a major means of regaining some normality (see box 1-IE 1 and 2). Children’s eagerness to return to school was also evident in parents’ accounts (see box 1-IE 3).

Expressing their desire to return to school contradicts common stereotyping of children, and particularly teenagers, as lazy or reluctant to engage with school.
(..)
CYP’s accounts portrayed school absence as making them stand out from their peers, going against the ‘normality’ of full-time school for people their age. Frequent or extended absences were described as stressful and isolating, leading to feelings of being left behind academically and socially (see box 1-IE 4). The unpredictable and variable nature of symptoms was particularly distressing because CYP did not know how long disruption to their schooling would last.
(..)
Attempts to return to school invariably led to ‘crashes’, ‘huge relapses’ or feeling ‘exhausted’, followed by needing more time off to recover (see box 2-IE 1).
(..)
A perceived lack of integration of care across health and education settings was compounded by the fact that LC in CYP was a new condition that was neither widely recognised nor well understood. Parents suggested that the absence of a formal diagnosis meant schools and education professionals were limited in the support and adaptations they could offer (see box 3-IE2). Even when contact was made between health and education practitioners, it was then hard for parents and CYP to plan how much and how often they could attend school because symptoms were unpredictable, varying day-to-day or week-to-week and activity needed to be balanced against potential relapses.
(..)

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

A friend who had his booster scheduled with Walgreens for today was told yesterday that his appointment was canceled because "they didn't get as many doses as they ordered". Very cool country.

Maed
Aug 23, 2006

deadwing posted:

By 'his doctor', he means someone with a blue checkmark and 'MD' in their name on twitter

coulda been his doctor, covid among other things has taught me that most doctors are idiot strivers just in it for the money and prestige who don't give a gently caress about learning anything new

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

I am really wondering if they took Al-Aly out of context or something in this NPR article from April because afaik it doesn't really match up well with anything else he's said over the years.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2023/04/14/1169216517/youre-less-likely-to-get-long-covid-after-a-second-infection-than-a-first

also the analogy at the end is still amazingly bad lol

quote:

"Undeniably, we are seeing very, very clearly that for the second infection the risk is lower than the first infection," says Dr. Ziyad Al-Aly, an epidemiologist at Washington University in St. Louis who led that study.

Al-Aly agrees that may be due in part to immunity from the first infection. Another factor is that later strains of the virus appear to cause milder disease, which may make them less likely to lead to long-COVID.

"When people got re-infected they generally got re-infected with omicron, which is certainly milder," he said, discussing the results of his study.

Another possible influence may be improved treatments, which lessened the severity of COVID, he says.

Neither study examined the risk of long COVID after a third or fourth infection, but Al-Aly hopes that the risk would continue to decline with each subsequent infection.

"All these things are pointing in the right direction that makes me optimistic that at some point in time re-infection may add trivial risks or non-consequential risks," he says.

"That's our hope. We don't have data. But that's our hope," he says.

But Al-Aly notes that because so many people are still catching the virus, the overall number who are suffering from lingering health problems continues to increase even if there is a lower risk from second infections.

"I sort of liken it to Russian Roulette," Al-Aly says. "The odds at the individual level of getting long COVID after a second infection versus the first is lower for any individual person."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I got a prescription for Paxlovid. excited to experience the side effects .

kreeningsons
Jan 2, 2007

Oracle posted:

[post about Covid misinformation]

yeah this is it for sure

amazing translation of quack medical talk folks

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

article Pingui posted posted:

During previous Covid-19 vaccination campaigns, when the government was in charge of buying, distributing and monitoring the vaccines, Kates says Americans got a taste of what universal health care could look like, and everyone had access.

“Now, what’s happened with commercialization is, we’re back to health care as we know it, and its challenges and its complexities,” she said.
(..)
“How many millions of people are going to try to get vaccinated and then just get discouraged or upset and then just not get it?” she asked.

You know that think that worked surprisingly well? We're getting rid it :rubby:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

iirc in the first roll outs it was still a pain in the rear end with obscure roll outs based on status .

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
surely they wouldn't have forgotten the lessons learned from the first rollout or the first booster rollout. it's not like covid causes memory loss.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

didn’t they have 3 tiers in the initial roll out and everyone complained so they added like 6 sub tiers to tier 1

Apr 7, 2003

euphronius posted:

didn’t they have 3 tiers in the initial roll out and everyone complained so they added like 6 sub tiers to tier 1

yeah, my sister was a nursing aide or something like that directly caring for patients and got hers super early

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

SixteenShells posted:

surely they wouldn't have forgotten the lessons learned from the first rollout or the first booster rollout. it's not like covid causes memory loss.

what? that's the first i'm hearing of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Pingui posted:

quote:

How many millions of people are going to try to get vaccinated...

starting the pool at 25