Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

i just rubbed at my phone cuz i thought your av's tail was a bug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

well now it looks like im talking to myself

cumpantry
Dec 18, 2020

Hello

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i enjoyed the story and some of the characters in witcher3, and the game faces you with interesting decisions sometimes. if you dont like those parts you wont like the game. its not a game one plays for the "gameplay loop", imo.

the world is indeed generic fantasy much like Oblivion, but with an interesting Slavic folk story influence, and they do better things with the world and its history. i do think the game was a bit overhyped but once you get into the meat of the story its quite good

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 20, 2023

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Earwicker posted:

i enjoyed the story and some of the characters in witcher3, and the game faces you with interesting decisions sometimes. if you dont like those parts you wont like the game. its not a game one plays for the "gameplay loop", imo.

the world is indeed generic fantasy much like Oblivion, but with an interesting Slavic folk story influence, and they do better things with the world and its history. i do think the game was a bit overhyped but once you get into the meat of the story its quite good

sure but i have basically no investment in them so far and to get there and continue to experience the characters and story i have to interact with the gameplay loop. or are you saying the gameplay is not that great but it's worth putting up with to experience the excellent story/characters

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

there are no loops, only pirouettes

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

average rpg enjoyer, matrix-kid-ishly: there is no loop :D

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Peggy Edson posted:

oh sorry

I couldn't stand W3 after an hour and never played it again

It's was boring and generic even in 2015 and I have no clue how it got so much praise

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

or are you saying the gameplay is not that great but it's worth putting up with to experience the excellent story/characters

yes thats what im saying. the combat is pretty much just button mashing. there's a whole system where you can coat your swords in various magic oils to fight different kind of monsters and stuff like that but its entirely unnecessary because you can get through any enemy encounter in the game by just spamming little bits of magic. the exploration is kind of interesting once you get to the bigger map but even there the main appeal is just running into interesting hosed up situations out there in the world and making various choices to deal with them. a lot of the stories are good and often quite entertaining, at least by aaa videogame standards. i mean there's a reason it was turned into a tv show. and its one of those games where you do actually feel that decisions you make impact the world, further down the line.

that said i think part of the reason it got so much hype is because the standard for storytelling in videogames is abysmally low. its fairly stock fantasy, but well executed for what it is.

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

this game sounds awful, glad I didn't buy it
I also never played fallout 4 and have zero regrets

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Prettz posted:

this game sounds awful, glad I didn't buy it
I also never played fallout 4 and have zero regrets

Fallout 4 was a simulator of stealing office supplies from abandoned office buildings, not bothering to play it was a good call.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

far harbor was pretty good

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I played W3 for an hour or two and bounced off it pretty hard. The combat felt really awkward to me but tbh I don’t have the patience for 100 hour RPGs that I used to.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

distressed to hear that it sucks as a game but if i stick with it i'll be rewarded with an story that's better than average. but i won't let the negativity stop me. i gave starfield 30 hours, witcher 3 gets at least as much

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

Toxic Mental posted:

It's was boring and generic even in 2015 and I have no clue how it got so much praise
if witcher 3 is generic, what is non-generic fantasy rpg?

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I think I'm gonna do some drinking and drifting this weekend in assetto corsa. Havnt done that in a while. Might even try some MP togue battles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Fallout 4 was fine. Yeah, it wasn't as good as New Vegas. But not everyone enjoys the same game.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

distressed to hear that it sucks as a game but if i stick with it i'll be rewarded with an story that's better than average. but i won't let the negativity stop me. i gave starfield 30 hours, witcher 3 gets at least as much

Witcher is good.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

numberoneposter posted:

I think I'm gonna do some drinking and drifting this weekend in assetto corsa. Havnt done that in a while. Might even try some MP togue battles.

Might get back into Gran Turismo 7. VR mode is sick

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Witcher 3 quests generally have some element of surprise hidden in them, which makes them fun, but it' might be hard to see what parts of the writing are playing along with genre conventions versus playing with genre conventions so it feels by-the-numbers unless you're a high fantasy lover.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Unlike starfield where there is zero surprise in anything, except maybe the idea of juice boxes full of whiskey. That's a good idea.

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

I did a quest in starfield in which a doctor who was mad at the tourists on titan wanted me to wear a monster costume and go scare them. It has been the most memorable thing in the whole game, it was like a 2 min quest and it was only like worth a mild chuckle.

I uninstalled yesterday.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just play a lot of gwent and ignore everything else

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Prettz posted:

if witcher 3 is generic, what is non-generic fantasy rpg?

in terms of worldbuilding: morrowind, tyranny, planescape torment

satanic splash-back posted:

Witcher 3 quests generally have some element of surprise hidden in them, which makes them fun, but it' might be hard to see what parts of the writing are playing along with genre conventions versus playing with genre conventions so it feels by-the-numbers unless you're a high fantasy lover.

yea this is how i feel about it. its fun and often clever in terms of the stories. and also a lot of the smaller side stories you encounter are just as good as the major stories, there's nothing at all that feels like some randomly generated crap. in terms of gameplay tho like combat etc theres not really a lot going on. its fine. its cool when you chop guys in half.

also the world is much less interactive than the bethesda games i.e. there are no little junk items and trinkets to pick up everywhere, you cant gently caress with anyone's tableware, you can't pick pockets, most npc's don't really have "schedules" or anything, they're just background etc. but the focus is elsewhere so you dont really miss that stuff

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

average rpg enjoyer, matrix-kid-ishly: there is no loop :D

actually my joke was a reference to the books. back in my day it was customary to read all 8 books that provide the backstory and setting BEFORE playing the game, but i guess kids these days can't be bothered.

to hell in a handbasket

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

actually my joke was a reference to the books. back in my day it was customary to read all 8 books that provide the backstory and setting BEFORE playing the game, but i guess kids these days can't be bothered.

to hell in a handbasket

since apparently the game is not very good but the story is, thinking to maybe just not play the game and read the books instead?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

since apparently the game is not very good but the story is, thinking to maybe just not play the game and read the books instead?

yea the books are ok. the author apparently hates the games, just did the deal for money and thinks all video games are stupid, even though the games are also pretty much the only reason anyone knows who he is outside of poland.

i thought the first season of the tv show was good. kind of fell down after that.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Bad Purchase posted:

just play a lot of gwent and ignore everything else

Gwent was available as a stand-alone download too

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i think the story in the game might actually be better than the books.

the books are very mixed in quality. the stories and setting are cool. the writing (translations to be fair) is often repetitive, there are a good number of horny guy who lives alone writing sex scenes for his protagonist parts, crotchety old man wisdoms from an author who was probably the equivalent of a polish young republican at the time, and there's like an entire book about the torture and abuse of a teenager who becomes a murder hobo as a result.

but, there are some legitimately cool characters and ideas mixed in from time to time. i don't regret reading them but also have a hard time recommending them and wouldn't read them again.

the first 3 or 4 books are pretty safe, after that you have to be really into it to continue

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Witcher 3 also does that thing that Cyberpunk 2077 had where the characters just drop pronouns sometimes, I guess because it's written by people who speak Polish or something and maybe it's a thing they do in Polish? A lot of "Can't seem to find the guy. Really got on my nerves with his talking." type of writing.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

gwent is one of the better minigames that anyone has come up with in a open world game purely because its kind of hilarious that almost any character you meet will happily sit down and play cards with you regardless of whatever else is going on in the story, as if everyone in the world has their unique deck that they carry with them at all times. like its a fantasy world completely taken over by mtg nerds.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

dropping the implied subject is super common

do it all the dang time

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Earwicker posted:

gwent is one of the better minigames that anyone has come up with in a open world game purely because its kind of hilarious that almost any character you meet will happily sit down and play cards with you regardless of whatever else is going on in the story, as if everyone in the world has their unique deck that they carry with them at all times. like its a fantasy world completely taken over by mtg nerds.

lol i always thought this was funny in ff9 as well. that card game ruled also. but it was funny for a character near the end of the game in a ruined castle or whatever to be like "drat this world is so hosed up now. all kinds of people i loved are dead and the material reality is being pulled apart at the seams. good luck with your epic battle with teh most powerful being whos ever lived/. huh? tetra master? hell, i could go for a few games right now, sure"

Aramis
Sep 22, 2009

lol i always thought this was funny in ff9 as well. that card game ruled also. but it was funny for a character near the end of the game in a ruined castle or whatever to be like "drat this world is so hosed up now. all kinds of people i loved are dead and the material reality is being pulled apart at the seams. good luck with your epic battle with teh most powerful being whos ever lived/. huh? tetra master? hell, i could go for a few games right now, sure"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wasn't it 8 with triple triad? 9 had some other thing, tetra maybe? it wasn't as good as i recall.

e: oh yeah, tetra master is what hot cocoa said

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

wasn't it 8 with triple triad? 9 had some other thing, tetra maybe? it wasn't as good as i recall.

8 had triple triad yeah. it was simpler and better explained. but once you figured out tetra master it was way better

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Earwicker posted:

yea the books are ok. the author apparently hates the games, just did the deal for money and thinks all video games are stupid, even though the games are also pretty much the only reason anyone knows who he is outside of poland.

i thought the first season of the tv show was good. kind of fell down after that.

That's like one ancient interview, he seems substantially more chill than that. It got blown up by the press for on demand Gamer Outrage

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

wonder how the starfield novelization is coming along, i want to read the world building material and get a better feel for all of the important figures driving the politics of the settled systems

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Bad Purchase posted:

wonder how the starfield novelization is coming along, i want to read the world building material and get a better feel for all of the important figures driving the politics of the settled systems

Tryna cop a copy of "impossibly outposts, how to dal with bland pirates In a fascist utopia"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Earwicker posted:

in terms of worldbuilding: morrowind, tyranny, planescape torment

When you get over the surface of the gimmick 9f these, the Witcher setting is far more intricate and better crafted than them.