Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

abelwingnut posted:

and here is the reason you draft a top te, a good def, and a decent kicker. you want these positions to be as set-it-and-forget-it as possible, otherwise they'll slowly nibble you down on waivers/faab and prevent you from bidding on the positions that turn over and matter.

Or just wait a day and pick them up as free agents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Anti-Hero posted:

I want to pick up Spears in my 1PPR Yahoo Keeper league.

QB: Hurts
RB: CMC, King Henry, Rhamondre Stevenson, James Conner, Rachaad White, Charbonnet, Hunt
WR: Tee Higgins, Christian Watson, Mike Williams, Dotson, Jakobi Meyers

I'm pretty thin at WR so I'm thinking its Charbs for Spears?

I would drop Hunt tbh

Also this might've been missed at the bottom of a page

MakaVillian posted:

JSN was dropped in my 0.5 PPR league. Realizing every league is different, how much faab should spend on him? Currently bidding $17 of the $76 I have left.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

Vargo posted:

Currently holding onto two RB lotto tickets: Tyjae Spears and Elijah Mitchell. (Three if you count Zack Moss)

However after Mitchell was a total no-show last week I'm wondering if he has value even as an insurance policy or if he's chum to cut for the bench space.

I've got my two IR slots full with Brandon Cooks and Ekeler but I'm eventually going to need to make room to bring them back. (Well, Ekeler anyway. Cooks might be a straight drop)

With the way Mitchell has been used, I'm not even sure he's a handcuff anymore. If something happened to McCaffrey, it might be a split between him and Jordan Mason. Mitchell looked slow in the limited action he saw during the Steelers game. It's a very small sample size, but maybe all these injuries have added up.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

As a Seahawks fan I think JSN will be great IRL but I don't see him being fantasy relevant/reliable this season unless DK or Lockett get injured. I actually avoided Seahawks receivers this year because there are too many mouths to feed.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

take me you ANIMAL posted:

Ugh, same guy that got Puka last week just picked up Ford this week. I gotta stop tinkering with kickers and TE so I can climb the wire.
yeah somebody dropped jakobi meyers and I put in a claim. Then realized i wanted to cancel it and just see if he made it through waivers and then add him for free, but I forgot to! So now my waiver rank falls again. If not for spending a waiver on Roschon Johnson last week and Meyers this week I could be inthat prime position :(

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Sep 20, 2023

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

DeepDickPizza posted:

Or just wait until waivers clear and grab someone out of FA. 90% of the time, you're going to get who you want or an equivalent replacement since all of those positions are weekly coinflips after the top tier.

sure, you can do that. but i would argue i'm not getting who i want 100% of the time with this method, because the guys i actually want were drafted. the waiver fodder is just that. you're literally trying to pick the best option out of only bad options. i hate that.

at those positions, i'd still just rather take the more proven, more reliable ones in the draft. the points advantage matters on top of the faab saved. streaming def and te is a total nightmare, no matter how you slice it, and i'd rather just have waller/hockenson and phi/sf doing their thing than dealing with it on a weekly basis.

and to be clear, i'm not advocating drafting kelce in the first or andrews in the second or sf in the 10th or whatever. i would not do that at all. i'm just saying draft a top 5 te in the first 6 or so rounds, a top def a round or two before their adp, and maybe tucker a round or two before his adp. these won't kill you at those points in the draft.

roster construction's fun.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Gonna copy this over from the sit/start thread (which is up btw check it out) since this one seems more active:

I chose Garrett Wilson as a keeper, expecting him to have a HUGE year with even semi competent quarterback play. Honestly believe he is one of the best WRs in the league period, but motherfucking Zach Wilson is back. Last week he was semi-okaywith 16.3 points (full PPR), but almost all of that was a single miraculous 60 something yard touchdown catch. Without that he would've had like 4 points since he only had two catches on the day. It was kind of the same week 1, absent an absolutely insane touchdown catch he would've been a bad start.

I've moved him to flex, and here are my three options in full PPR:

Miles Sanders at Seahawks (theoretically a decent matchup, although it may be raining)

Hunter Henry at Jets (he's slightly outscored Wilson both weeks with touchdown grabs in each and seemingly pretty steady usage, he has a low projection though and likely this won't keep up forever)

Tutu Atwell at Cincinnati (has scored similarly to Wilson, although with much higher usage overall and no touchdowns to pad the numbers).

Plus, as a couple side questions: I have to decide if I should put in Miles Sanders in this sputtering Carolina run game for either Joe Mixon or Brian Robinson. Also, Hunter Henry vs Jets in for Darren Waller vs SF where Henry has gotten more points and more overall targets than Waller but Waller has significantly higher projection for some reason.

I think I'm currently leaning Atwell at Flex, Mixon and Robinson at RB, and Hunter Henry at TE but man Yahoo projections throw me off sometimes and I hate lowering my 'chance to win' even though I believe I'm increasing it lol.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

abelwingnut posted:

sure, you can do that. but i would argue i'm not getting who i want 100% of the time with this method, because the guys i actually want were drafted. the waiver fodder is just that. you're literally trying to pick the best option out of only bad options. i hate that.

at those positions, i'd still just rather take the more proven, more reliable ones in the draft. the points advantage matters on top of the faab saved. streaming def and te is a total nightmare, no matter how you slice it, and i'd rather just have waller/hockenson and phi/sf doing their thing than dealing with it on a weekly basis.

and to be clear, i'm not advocating drafting kelce in the first or andrews in the second or sf in the 10th or whatever. i would not do that at all. i'm just saying draft a top 5 te in the first 6 or so rounds, a top def a round or two before their adp, and maybe tucker a round or two before his adp. these won't kill you at those points in the draft.

Kickers are so so so replaceable. It's super rare to me that it's worth riding with a kicker through a bye for example. Most defenses it's the same deal, outside of the top few in a given year they're pretty much interchangeable and it's totally fine to me to cycle them through on free agency.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

I would drop Hunt tbh

Even with the news of him going to the Browns?

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Fast Luck posted:

Kickers are so so so replaceable. It's super rare to me that it's worth riding with a kicker through a bye for example. Most defenses it's the same deal, outside of the top few in a given year they're pretty much interchangeable and it's totally fine to me to cycle them through on free agency.

yea, kickers are generally whatever. i just like having tucker because he has seemed immune to the ebbs and flows of baltimore's offense. there's comfort in that.

and like you said with def, 'outside of the top few'. point is, i want one of those top few, so i do what i can to get it, which usually only requires drafting one a round early. not that big of a deal where they go imo.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol I read one of those buy/sell now articles and it had two of my dudes as sell now candidates, Brian Robinson and DJ Moore. Who the hell is gunna pay for those guys lol

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

uhh, i would take brian robinson off your hands!

seriously, how on earth is he a sell high candidate?

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

If your girlfriend says hey to me that's our girlfriend now idc

abelwingnut posted:

I mean, he almost certainly just had his best game of the year

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Gobias Ind. posted:

i mean, maybe, yea. but he still seems like a very, very good running back who has almost no competition playing for a team with a medicore qb who throws him the ball a decent amount. also, let's remember, washington's coaches love him. they wanted him starting over gibson last year, even though he was recovering from a gunshot.

i don't know, i see a decently explosive guy who'll get tons of touches. sure, he might not eclipse last week's game, but he still seems like a great option to get above average stats across the board. doesn't seem crazy to think he's a top 10 rb. i'm not selling that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Gobias Ind. posted:

Yeah but his usage is extremely good where before the season there were questions about how he and Gibson would share. Instead it looks like Brian Robinson pretty much is their guy on the ground, he's had 19 and 18 attempts the first two weeks where Gibson has had all of five total.

Plus Washington will likely remain a run-heavy team with Howell in his first year at QB.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

I normally stream DST and have no regrets about it. But this year it seemed like EVERYONE got the memo and waited and waited and waited to take defense, and it created an inefficiency. When I am looking at the likes of Darnell Mooney or Dallas/Eagles defense in the 12th round, I'll take the defense. Normally some psychopath takes the top D when starting position players are still being drafted. This year, they were in freefall.

I disagree on kicker though. Literally who cares, it's totally random. Through 2 weeks, Justin Tucker is the #19 kicker in my league's scoring. That's horrendous if you took him before the last couple rounds.

abelwingnut posted:

yeah that's a weird one. I would be happy to just hold Brian Robinson all year, he's a solid player I was targeting in all drafts. I guess if you can sucker someone into paying you like he's an every week elite RB1 and not a perfectly fine RB2 you take that deal. But is anyone seriously going to agree to BRob for AJ Brown or something :confused:

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Sell high doesn't mean that he's bad. It just means that he's at his peak value, which I agree with.

If you can move him for a more established/higher ceiling RB off to a slow start then that's something you should definitely explore. But it's not like they're telling you to cut bait on him.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

I have not started Breece yet in the league I have him in because I simply have better options than him to flex at the moment but yeah no way I’m dropping him

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

and here is the reason you draft a top te, a good def, and a decent kicker. you want these positions to be as set-it-and-forget-it as possible, otherwise they'll slowly nibble you down on waivers/faab and prevent you from bidding on the positions that turn over and matter.

Who the hell is spending waiver priority or FAAB on a kicker or defense?

If you’re streaming just pick someone up off free agency.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Gobias Ind. posted:

Sell high doesn't mean that he's bad. It just means that he's at his peak value, which I agree with.

If you can move him for a more established/higher ceiling RB off to a slow start then that's something you should definitely explore. But it's not like they're telling you to cut bait on him.

Fair enough, just not sure his high is really enough to replace the value he has. And I honestly would not be surprised if he has another two touchdown game this year given the way they are using him. Also, it's fun to have a guy that got shot in the rear end on your fantasy team.

Anyways, I'll simplify my question please help since I have to decide by tomorrow. Waller vs SF or Hunter Henry vs Jets.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

RCarr posted:

for defense? i've seen it plenty. just saw jacksonville and kc go for $2 each in a $100 faab league. nffc is about the same percentage this time of year, but can get very aggressive in the playoff weeks naturally.

kicker, less so, but it does happen when you have a juggernaut offense against a cardinals defense or something. definitely less pronounced here than with def.

got to remember, a good defensive showing can net you massive points and sometimes win you a week.

abelwingnut fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Sep 20, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Gobias Ind. posted:

Yeah I get that. I just always sideeye these articles that are like "dude had one good week SELL HIGH". Are people really fooled by this stuff and willing to pay top dollar when a guy has one massive outlier game

I guess Breece Hall being dropped in that one dude's league kinda answers that for me

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

RCarr posted:

This week, KC is the #2 defense. They were on the wire. I’m ok with spending 3 out of 100 for that. Good thing because next highest bid was 2.

Gobias Ind.
Apr 5, 2007

Docjowles posted:

Yeah I get that. I just always sideeye these articles that are like "dude had one good week SELL HIGH". Are people really fooled by this stuff and willing to pay top dollar when a guy has one massive outlier game

I guess Breece Hall being dropped in that one dude's league kinda answers that for me

Was literally gonna respond with the Breece example haha

A ton of fantasy players are extremely impatient and reactionary, so yeah, definitely. Just never the people in my league :mad:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

This week, KC is the #2 defense. They were on the wire. I’m ok with spending 3 out of 100 for that. Good thing because next highest bid was 2.

Yeah I'm 100% with this and don't understand the penny-pinching on weekly FAAB for K/DEF.

And this is coming from someone who is stingy with big FAAB spends (check my post history ha).

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i'm stingy with it because let's say you spend $1 each week on a def in a $100 fab league. that's potentially $17 total, $14 for the regular season.

i'd rather draft a def who's expected to be top 3 a round early and put that, let's say $15, into a potential gamechanger at a skill position. and tbh, i'm probably going to spend more than $15, especially if i need a late push. there are always going to be some super juicy matchups where you want to go $2 or $3.

i don't know, would just rather not deal with the headache and save the money and waiver position.

MakaVillian
Aug 16, 2003

Well, in Whoville they say - that his tiny hands grew three sizes that day.

Anti-Hero posted:

Even with the news of him going to the Browns?

Yeah. I mean I don't think Ford is great or anything, but as someone has already said before, the Browns already chose Ford ahead of Hunt in the offseason and it took a season ending injury for anyone to sign Hunt. He'll get a bit of work but you're probably never going to start Hunt as you have 5 better RBs so why not secure the handcuff for your #2 RB.

Play posted:

Anyways, I'll simplify my question please help since I have to decide by tomorrow. Waller vs SF or Hunter Henry vs Jets.

Henry. The Jets are only 26th against TEs so far this year and Henry seems to be Macorkle's favourite target

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

Docjowles posted:

Breece is a weird situation, because he only got 4 carries on Sunday. Is he still hurt? Who knows. Jets have NE/KC/Den/Phi/bye their next five weeks, and none of them look like a smash matchup. I probably wouldn't have dropped him (and yeah I do have a claim on him), but if I do get him I don't see a must-start for him until November at the earliest.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004

MakaVillian posted:

Yeah. I mean I don't think Ford is great or anything, but as someone has already said before, the Browns already chose Ford ahead of Hunt in the offseason and it took a season ending injury for anyone to sign Hunt. He'll get a bit of work but you're probably never going to start Hunt as you have 5 better RBs so why not secure the handcuff for your #2 RB.

This is precisely what I was thinking. I grabbed Hunt after the Chubb injury instinctively so I just needed a gut check. FWIW in my other league where lost Chubb I didn't grab Hunt (nor has anyone else, and there are several FF hawks in that league).

Spears has been added.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I got Cousins and Spears but missed out on Ford. He went for crazy money, as he should.

But then some guy got Hunt for 40% of his budget and :lol: on that

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

abelwingnut posted:

i'm stingy with it because let's say you spend $1 each week on a def in a $100 fab league. that's potentially $17 total, $14 for the regular season.

i'd rather draft a def who's expected to be top 3 a round early and put that, let's say $15, into a potential gamechanger at a skill position. and tbh, i'm probably going to spend more than $15, especially if i need a late push. there are always going to be some super juicy matchups where you want to go $2 or $3.

i don't know, would just rather not deal with the headache and save the money and waiver position.

I get that, I don’t want to spend every week on a defense, but if there’s one I really want, that’s what FAAB is for. You have to play a defense (well, in most leagues), and while you can start any one that’s left in free agency, why not use your money to get a good one?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Here’s a question for you Ford owners. If you knew Hunt was signing today, would you have still spent what you did in FAAB?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Also even if you’re streaming, ideally you can grab a defense that will be usable for 2-3 weeks. Like going back to the Chiefs, they have the Bears this week and the Jets next week. So you’re set for a little bit off one claim. Churning your defense 17 times is worst case scenario which you should be able to avoid if you look ahead

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

abelwingnut posted:

I’d rather just grab the top ranked kicker and defense off free agency and never have to spend a single second thinking about the most random luck positions in the game.

Gearman
Dec 6, 2011

Silly Burrito posted:

Here’s a question for you Ford owners. If you knew Hunt was signing today, would you have still spent what you did in FAAB?

100%. If he was any good, any of the other teams out there would have signed him by now. They even made him tryout again. I think anyone putting in bids for Ford, expecting him to be pretty much the only RB on the roster, would be fooling themselves. Personally, I viewed my bid as a bid on the situation, and that hasn't changed with the signing of Hunt.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Silly Burrito posted:

Absolutely in fact I would have bid more for the leagues I missed on him

He's averaging 4.6 ypc in 31 rushes

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
I usually set and forget my K the entire year unless they end up with the yips - feel like I've shot my own foot off trying to stream that spot more than not. DST I'll yolo off of FA a few hours before TNF if I don't like my current matchup (honestly same for IDP too, I just have the most time to think about this on Thurs afternoons).

Silly Burrito posted:

Im not in any FAAB league this year but I feel like the Hunt signing doesn't change much about the thought process for Ford. It's still a rare chance to grab a starting RB in a run heavy offense who looked decent in his MNF showing. We knew the Browns would go out and make a depth signing no matter what and if Hunt was good enough to split touches 50/50 he probably would've still been on the team as RB2. Maybe there's some risk of Hunt taking all goal line carries and Ford not having the speed to reach the end zone on big plays resulting in that being commonplace but I think you still gotta go for it here.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
In my super flex league I have a glut of good to great RBs but my QBs are Daniel Jones and Justin Fields, which is making me uneasy. Both of those guys could stabilize, but right now it's a rollercoaster every Sunday.

I am trying to work out a 1for1 trade of one of these guys for someone like Herbert, Lamar, Tua. How would you rank them ROS?

Ken Walker
Kyren Williams
James Connor
DeAndre Swift
Raheem Mostert
Jerome Ford

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I haven't played for a while and I didn't realize that using waivers each week pushed you down the list for the following week. I thought it was always based on your record, so worst team always has top priority. I realize now that I've been wasting some waiver claims on Defense and I'm dead last on the waiver list. I've also been making a bunch of moves trying to snag up and coming guys. So hopefully I don't need to pick anyone important up for a couple of weeks while I try to get in better position. I feel like I have decent depth on my bench, so I hope I didn't screw myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bird in a Blender posted:

I haven't played for a while and I didn't realize that using waivers each week pushed you down the list for the following week. I thought it was always based on your record, so worst team always has top priority. I realize now that I've been wasting some waiver claims on Defense and I'm dead last on the waiver list. I've also been making a bunch of moves trying to snag up and coming guys. So hopefully I don't need to pick anyone important up for a couple of weeks while I try to get in better position. I feel like I have decent depth on my bench, so I hope I didn't screw myself.

It depends on league settings. My 14-teamer resets weekly, my 12-team BML is use-it-and-lose-it. Resetting weekly devalues the draft and I don't care for it, but I kind of get it for 14 teams.