Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnobeard
Sep 15, 2004

Obey the Beard

Man, they have to stuff everything into D&D, when Lewd Dungeon Adventures is right there!

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Counts
Oct 10, 2012

Don't "shhh!" me, you rich bastard!

Hypnobeard posted:

Man, they have to stuff everything into D&D, when Lewd Dungeon Adventures is right there!

:69snypa:

*biting lip* Mm, tell me more about what they can stuff into D&D

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Everything Counts posted:

*biting lip* Mm, tell me more about what they can stuff into D&D

C-SPAM

Ass-penny
Jan 18, 2008

Hey there TG, not to get too off of the ERP talk y'all got going on but anyone going to play the new Grant Howitt game, Eat the Reich? I'm getting excited, even though I'm sure it won't have the replayability of most RPGs I play.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Everyone please welcome Dwarf74 to full mod-hood! He's been operating as an IK across several threads for a long time now and doing a great job. Having a third mod on hand for TG should help us with coverage, vacations, etc. too.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style
Oh that's cool nice

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Hi, all, happy to help out!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

rear end-penny posted:

Hey there TG, not to get too off of the ERP talk y'all got going on but anyone going to play the new Grant Howitt game, Eat the Reich? I'm getting excited, even though I'm sure it won't have the replayability of most RPGs I play.

We played nice marines the other night, that was really fun.

I think running a slate of howitt one shots would be a good way of getting out of an rpg rut but my games are all p well established ATM, might do it when one of them finishes up though

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

dwarf74 posted:

hosed up if true.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

dwarf74 posted:

Which kind of dwarf is strongest?

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

rear end-penny posted:

Dunno if ill get a chance to play it, but I pledged cuz it looks really cool.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Nessus posted:

Which kind of dwarf is strongest?

Personally, I think the 'lightly buzzed' sort is the toughest! A bit of alcohol in the system so that they're confident, but not drunk enough to be passed out in a puddle of vomit :v:

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

I have finally convinced my local Dad's gaming group to try out roleplaying and I am after some advice. I think the enthusiasm that has been shown so far is contingent on this being an enjoyable and satisfying first session of around 2-2.5hrs, so I don't mind if it doesn't bring an adventure to a close, but it needs to be able to get to get to a significant point in the narrative as a hook for the next game. Everyone playing is at least broadly familiar with the concept of roleplaying games and boardgame mechanics.

My experience as DM is limited: I DM'ed a one-shot game of DungeonWorld (I think it was the example in the book: being stuck in the prison of a Necromancer's dungeon) and a one-off Call of Cthulhu game. I've watched a few traditional RPG games being played on YouTube so I'm not a complete novice.

1. I have two sets of rules: Whitebox: Medieval Fantasy Adventure (which I understand is a S&W-derived beginner-friendly book) and Old School Essentials: Classic Fantasy. Am I better off using the Whitebox as a simpler system, or will it simply mean I have more responsibility for decision-making and improvisation since there aren't built-in rules/expectations that might be in OSE?

2. I don't expect any kind of powergaming/etc. - should I have my players roll up their characters beforehand to increase the velocity of the first session? Shall I provide pre-built characters?

3. Am I best finding a pre-created one shot for this, or just dumping my characters into a dungeon murder-hobo style? I have seen a one-shot called A Potent Brew which seems to be just enough RPG, puzzle and combat?

4. We are likely to run this adventure 'theatre of the mind'-style, since it will be online to include a remote-only player and none of us want to futz around with Roll20 or TTS. I may screen-share some thematic images, maps or flavour. Should I bear anything in mind for this?

I can't stress how much I think the first session is going to be key in getting buy-in - to move to a longer narrative campaign adventure or to a more complex set of rules/etc.

Any advice would be gladly taken!

Southern Heel fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 20, 2023

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
What kind of games does the Dad gaming group play? if it's settler's of Catan, you might be in for a rude awakening. If it's gloomhaven, then a door kicker with pregens will feel right at home.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Questing Beast did a video about this one page starter dungeon. I'd use this with brand new players. Its rules agnostic and has all the stuff people expect when they think Dungeons and Dragons. Including a dungeon and a dragon.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LGmLcJHZLG8&pp=ygUdUXVlc3RpbmcgYmVhc3QgMSBwYWdlIGR1bmdlb24%3D

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Bucnasti posted:

Dunno if ill get a chance to play it, but I pledged cuz it looks really cool.

Should be the subtitle of TG as an Industry, to be honest.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

They’ll play a variety of games, catan, Troyes, terraforming mars, etc - but I’m confident they have acumen for it.

Thank you for the link to the one page dungeon!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Should be the subtitle of TG as an Industry, to be honest.

or the crowdfunding thread

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm buying these books for the setting, the art, and to compare my game (re)design skills to theirs.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
lol if they play Troyes on the regular there's nothing an RPG can pull on them rules-wise that's going to trip them up

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Southern Heel posted:

2. I don't expect any kind of powergaming/etc. - should I have my players roll up their characters beforehand to increase the velocity of the first session? Shall I provide pre-built characters?

In my experience if you are going to have a short sessions for people that haven't played an old school game before, just give them a list of dungeoneering equipment that they have instead of having them use their starting money manually. Because it took my players an hour to decide what equipment to buy.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

DalaranJ posted:

In my experience if you are going to have a short sessions for people that haven't played an old school game before, just give them a list of dungeoneering equipment that they have instead of having them use their starting money manually. Because it took my players an hour to decide what equipment to buy.
I recommend this for all games.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Southern Heel posted:

I have finally convinced my local Dad's gaming group to try out roleplaying and I am after some advice. I think the enthusiasm that has been shown so far is contingent on this being an enjoyable and satisfying first session of around 2-2.5hrs, so I don't mind if it doesn't bring an adventure to a close, but it needs to be able to get to get to a significant point in the narrative as a hook for the next game. Everyone playing is at least broadly familiar with the concept of roleplaying games and boardgame mechanics.

My experience as DM is limited: I DM'ed a one-shot game of DungeonWorld (I think it was the example in the book: being stuck in the prison of a Necromancer's dungeon) and a one-off Call of Cthulhu game. I've watched a few traditional RPG games being played on YouTube so I'm not a complete novice.

1. I have two sets of rules: Whitebox: Medieval Fantasy Adventure (which I understand is a S&W-derived beginner-friendly book) and Old School Essentials: Classic Fantasy. Am I better off using the Whitebox as a simpler system, or will it simply mean I have more responsibility for decision-making and improvisation since there aren't built-in rules/expectations that might be in OSE?

3. Am I best finding a pre-created one shot for this, or just dumping my characters into a dungeon murder-hobo style? I have seen a one-shot called A Potent Brew which seems to be just enough RPG, puzzle and combat?

4. We are likely to run this adventure 'theatre of the mind'-style, since it will be online to include a remote-only player and none of us want to futz around with Roll20 or TTS. I may screen-share some thematic images, maps or flavour. Should I bear anything in mind for this?

I can't stress how much I think the first session is going to be key in getting buy-in - to move to a longer narrative campaign adventure or to a more complex set of rules/etc.

Any advice would be gladly taken!

Running a dcc funnel is extremely fun, everyone gets a bunch of mooks that die like flies and the ones that survive become your adventurers. Sailors on a starless sea is a good module.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Crossposting this from the ffxiv thread because I don't have a clue whose making this or what system it's in (probably not Sword World that's d6 only, but it's definitely by a JP publisher)

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Was about to post that myself. I think it could be an original system.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

mellonbread posted:

I recommend this for all games.

I am definitely going to give my players a basic adventuring bundle of a backpack, rope, rations, water, torches, a stick - and I may even go as far as to give them equipment bundles - even as someone fully bought into the process rolling up my OSE: Classic Fantasy character was not the seamless, enjoyable process I was hoping for!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Runa posted:

Crossposting this from the ffxiv thread because I don't have a clue whose making this or what system it's in (probably not Sword World that's d6 only, but it's definitely by a JP publisher)

The link doesn’t work anymore. Looks like they put the page up earlier than they intended to

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

thetoughestbean posted:

The link doesn’t work anymore. Looks like they put the page up earlier than they intended to

I ordered it so I hope I get it!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Subjunctive posted:

I ordered it so I hope I get it!

I checked my order after I saw the page went down and it’s still valid. Make of that what you will

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

thetoughestbean posted:

I checked my order after I saw the page went down and it’s still valid. Make of that what you will

So far so good!

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

sebmojo posted:

Running a dcc funnel is extremely fun, everyone gets a bunch of mooks that die like flies and the ones that survive become your adventurers. Sailors on a starless sea is a good module.

As much as I love DCC funnels in general and starless sea in particular, I wouldn't run it for a group as their first RPG experience, because its too different from normal play.
Give em a cool one shot, let them feel powerful, then use a funnel to start a new campaign.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Bucnasti posted:

As much as I love DCC funnels in general and starless sea in particular, I wouldn't run it for a group as their first RPG experience, because its too different from normal play.
Give em a cool one shot, let them feel powerful, then use a funnel to start a new campaign.

Agreed on this -- if you don't know the temperament of your players, high-death gaming has a decent chance of putting someone off. I'd do a straightforward one-shot without a ton of moving parts.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Antivehicular posted:

Agreed on this -- if you don't know the temperament of your players, high-death gaming has a decent chance of putting someone off. I'd do a straightforward one-shot without a ton of moving parts.

Yeah, for sure. Give them a taste of True Power(tm) in a one-shot and then once you've got 'em hooked, have some fun with the funnel! I think that's the way to go, personally.
Otherwise with the funnel up-front, well, it might go well - or it might put someone off a little. Since don't forget, these are total newbies that are playing (unless I'm misreading something?) and not veterans of other RPG systems - so that first impression could make a big difference. Good luck though Heel, either way! Sounds like fun

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
It’s back! Now with a proper page and everything

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

reading call of cthulhu 7th ed - is this ok in play? it seems insanely fiddly and awkward with degrees of success and special dice and impales and crit fails and successes but different crit fails depending on how hard the thing you're trying to do is

I always remember CoC as being fairly straightforward, which I appreciate when you're plumbing the brobdignagian immensities of the cyclopean ancients or what have u

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

sebmojo posted:

reading call of cthulhu 7th ed - is this ok in play? it seems insanely fiddly and awkward with degrees of success and special dice and impales and crit fails and successes but different crit fails depending on how hard the thing you're trying to do is

I always remember CoC as being fairly straightforward, which I appreciate when you're plumbing the brobdignagian immensities of the cyclopean ancients or what have u

I'm pretty new to this style of RPG, so just a heads-up - my opinion isn't very helpful on this topic. But personally, I've taken a look at both and play Delta Green rather than CoC-proper (although I've been using the odd CoC scenario) and I very much enjoy it. I kinda prefer DG's slight changes in rules though, like with that 'luck' mechanic not being a thing, along with -much more importantly- the 'home vignette' gamplay segment, which allow characters/players to briefly go through what they're doing in their downtime between missions, improving skills or having a much-needed breather, etc. (Although if you play CoC, you can easily just steal that mechanic from DG)

To me, DG/CoC definitely looks more complicated than what it ends up being, during gameplay. And stuff like 'impale' and whatnot doesn't really happen much/at all, depending on the scenario you pick. If you want more info from actual CoC veterans though, I'd highly recommend poking around in this thread if you're not already aware of it! As those posters are all very knowledgeable on this topic - I pester them all the time, so I'm sure mellonbread and co. won't mind even more questions! :D

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I have a strong feeling that CoC is like D&D in that it’s so habitually house-ruled (including and maybe especially in the sense of leaving certain rules out) to the point that it’s just an understood subtext in the scene that nobody explicitly talks about that much.

I had the same response as you the first time I saw CoC, and a lot of things about the magic and combat systems only made sense to me after I read Runequest and realized pretty much every BRP game is house rules stapled on top of a game about Bronze Age swords and sorcery.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
My players would kill me if I ran a funnel. They really get into building backstories for their characters and figure out how to integrate them with each other. Also, I don't run fantasy much, and science-fiction funnels really aren't a thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

sebmojo posted:

In my experience yes, it’s less fiddle fucky than DND. GM defines the challenge, you throw bones, the dice tell the tale. The 7E stuff does add some bells and whistles but crit fails are just relative to your skills I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've been playing it for a while, and it's not particularly fiddly in practice. That being said, that's because a lot of people don't use a lot of the subsystems, I haven't had a chance to go through a proper use of the chase mechanics, we've only had a few combats, and we've yet to really get into Mythos magic or anything.

I think it helps to take a look at the diagrams at the end of the Keeper's Rulebook, they should clarify some processes that can be hard to see from the trenches of the specific chapters.