Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

tangy yet delightful posted:

https://www.test2treat.org/

But I'm not sure if they've opened registration back up, I heard at one point they shut it down due to running out or something.

quote:

Register now to access free virtual care and treatment for COVID-19, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Sign up anytime, whether you are sick or not.

Hmm, tried to sign up and they said I'm not eligible for some reason. US address, indicated I have insurance, no symptoms and have diabetes and then it just said I'm not eligible at the end.

Was it the diabetes that DQ'd me or do they only expect people to ask for tests when they're already sick so they can wait several days to get one in the mail? WTF?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

StratGoatCom posted:

https://twitter.com/cheyennehaslett/status/1704532226447175976

this is both ominous, and lol lmao if Biden is going to get exploded by the same poo poo that killed Turup's reelection campaign.

4 per household, so basically 1 per person. LOL.

Jizzny Princess
Aug 24, 2021

WHILE YOU WERE LEARNING TO SPELL YOUR NAME,
I WAS BEING TRAINED TO CONQUER GALAXIES
UwU

NeonPunk posted:

Kinda semi-related, but even in a completely different area, when the going get tough, just let give up and call it endemic and learn how to just manage it instead

https://twitter.com/abcnews/status/1704308470093160673

It's not like bees have anything else going wrong for them and total extinction is one way of managing it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

on the subject of pollinators, I learned that figs that are pollinated by wasps (as in one crawled in and died) are way bigger and juicier than unpollinated figs

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Look I'm sure that's an absolute unit of a fig and I'm sure people like them but I'm not going out of my way to eat something that reminds me of wasps.

I'll keep it to the rare fig Newton thanks.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

RandomBlue posted:

gently caress, I'm getting mad again.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

RandomBlue posted:

Hmm, tried to sign up and they said I'm not eligible for some reason. US address, indicated I have insurance, no symptoms and have diabetes and then it just said I'm not eligible at the end.

Was it the diabetes that DQ'd me or do they only expect people to ask for tests when they're already sick so they can wait several days to get one in the mail? WTF?

FYI, this is why I'm not eligible for test2treat, I have insurance:

quote:

At this time, enrollment is limited to uninsured and underinsured adults, as well as those on Medicare, Medicaid, and those in the Veteran Affairs healthcare system.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

lmao

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Why Am I So Tired posted:

"you're falling for Russian disinformation, do you want Trump to win?"

yes

Parity warning
Nov 1, 2009

3rd Place, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
https://bsky.app/profile/hilzoy.bsky.social/post/3k7rne64zfq2i

quote:

PSA: the CDC has a program that pays for your COVID vaccine if your insurer won't. The guy at CVS told me that my insurer had not added the new vaccine to its formulary yet, so I'd need to pay $190. I told him about this program, showed him the website, and paid nothing. 🤗

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/programs/bridge/index.html

quote:

CDC’s Bridge Access Program provides no-cost COVID-19 vaccines to adults without health insurance and adults whose insurance does not cover all COVID-19 vaccine costs. No-cost COVID-19 vaccines through this program will be available until December 31, 2024.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Except even more racist than Reagan.

spread the faith covid, jojo

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Oh dang thanks for these links

Edit: The Vaccines.gov shows that Walgreens and CVS near me have them in stock etc but their sites show things aren't available at all. Ah well, I'll keep my appointment with Walgreens next Tuesday but bring this info about the free shots.

GATOS Y VATOS has issued a correction as of 23:29 on Sep 20, 2023

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Zugzwang posted:

Remember when Psaki mockingly suggested "what are we gonna do, send everyone tests??"

Psaki bomb!!!

god she sucks

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

fosborb posted:

bullying works

in what sense, she has her own tv show now

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

RandomBlue posted:

well sure, if you're a noob who isn't using off label pooled testing techniques :smug:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

fosborb posted:

bullying works

For the bullies, yes.

Teabag Dome Scandal
Mar 19, 2002

Steve Yun posted:

on the subject of pollinators, I learned that figs that are pollinated by wasps (as in one crawled in and died) are way bigger and juicier than unpollinated figs

I wonder if thats why the figs my old fig tree produced were mostly pith

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

euphronius posted:

covid sucks my friends. this is legit garbage

You’re supposed to use the :woop: smiley and tell us that actually you are excited to be mildly sick.

freezepops posted:

Speaking of, is there a reason why RATs don’t exist for things like flu, rsv, strep or whatever? It would be pretty awesome to self test and figure out if a doctor is needed or not.

They exist but you are only permitted to have them if your refrigerator sports a medical degree.

They’ll give you home tests for HIV though.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 23:42 on Sep 20, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

I wonder if they changed the requirements, I indicated that I did have insurance (true) but that I had not sought/postponed medical care due to cost (also true). Who knows :shobon:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://twitter.com/luckytran/status/1704553868669899170?s=46

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Steve Yun posted:

That's a good looking fig. I once had a friend in Baltimore who started a beef with his neighbor because they caught him stealing figs from their tree at night. He just couldn't help himself

Baddog
May 12, 2001

tangy yet delightful posted:

I wonder if they changed the requirements, I indicated that I did have insurance (true) but that I had not sought/postponed medical care due to cost (also true). Who knows :shobon:

They definitely changed the requirements. I didn't lie about having insurance when I grabbed mine awhile ago. And I got the same rejection you all got just now when I tried to get a few under my wife's email.

They need an option "I have insurance but it doesn't cover tests anymore" .

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Boy of Joy posted:

Wanted to thank you for these suggestions, and also provide an update — they tested positive for Covid today! :(

Urged them to try to get Paxlovid but apparently that’s gatekept as well in the UK. Here’s to hoping in 2 weeks they’ll have recovered and test negative before their flight over here. Nature’s vaccine thank you very much!! :shepicide:

drat, I’m sorry dude. Rest, fluids, taking it easy, try nasal lavage (e.g. neti pot) if stuff like Betadine Cold Defence /Taffix/Enovid isn’t available.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

You’re supposed to use the :woop: smiley and tell us that actually you are excited to be mildly sick.

They exist but you are only permitted to have them if your refrigerator sports a medical degree.

RIP Lucira Covid/flu combo LAMP test.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Platystemon posted:

Yeah in the early days I was trying to get an import licence in AU and was talking to manufacturers. That's when I learnt you can get RATs for *a lot* of pathogens. It's actually super cool.

I looked into PCR testing too, it's actually super easy to do, but the reagents are expensive ($10-20 per test, but you need to buy enough to do 80+) and they expire really fast even if you can keep them at subzero temperatures.

loving amazing that the primer to test for covid is sold in 0.22ml vials, which is enough to do 80+ tests.

I'd love to set up to do PCR testing for various things, but unless I had a way to produce my own reagents or store them long term it isn't really viable.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

a 41-day waiting period for the mask mandate to start lol

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

U-DO Burger posted:

It wouldn't be fair to the virus to change the policy without an environmental impact review.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

The Oldest Man posted:

in what sense, she has her own tv show now

people got so pissed at her for saying that they changed the policy

https://theintercept.com/2021/12/21/anger-jen-psaki-helped-americans-get-free-covid-rapid-tests/

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

yoloer420 posted:

Yeah in the early days I was trying to get an import licence in AU and was talking to manufacturers. That's when I learnt you can get RATs for *a lot* of pathogens. It's actually super cool.

I looked into PCR testing too, it's actually super easy to do, but the reagents are expensive ($10-20 per test, but you need to buy enough to do 80+) and they expire really fast even if you can keep them at subzero temperatures.

loving amazing that the primer to test for covid is sold in 0.22ml vials, which is enough to do 80+ tests.

I'd love to set up to do PCR testing for various things, but unless I had a way to produce my own reagents or store them long term it isn't really viable.
Out of curiosity, what did your research turn up for measuring the results of PCR? I'm trying to think of the easiest ways to do it in a DIY setting; probably with most hydrolysis probes or intercalating dyes, you could use a blue LED or blue laser pointer to see if it lights up green. It's interesting to ponder.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Pirola has now officially invaded Australia

quote:

According to the British Medical Journal, Pirola appears to have evolved from the Omicron subvariant BA.2, which was widely circulating in early 2022.

One case has been detected in Australia, in a laboratory in Western Australia, genomic sequencing data shows.

However, there could be more out there because only a fraction of all COVID-19 infections get submitted to for testing.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-09-21/new-covid-strain-variant-pirola-ba-2-86-in-australia-symptoms/102873304

shazbot
Sep 20, 2004
Ah, hon, ya got arby's all over my acoustic wave machine.

U-DO Burger posted:

classic. mail out tests and mask mandate just in time for the end of the wave

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Zugzwang posted:

Out of curiosity, what did your research turn up for measuring the results of PCR? I'm trying to think of the easiest ways to do it in a DIY setting; probably with most hydrolysis probes or intercalating dyes, you could use a blue LED or blue laser pointer to see if it lights up green. It's interesting to ponder.

The primer I was looking at makes it very easy to just eyeball the result. Yellow = covid, red = no covid.

They also sell a primer for use as a control which works the same way.

https://www.neb.com/en-au/products/s1883-sars-cov-2-lamp-primer-mix-ne#Product%20Information

How is the result detected generally in a lab setting? I had a hard time determining that to be honest.

yoloer420 has issued a correction as of 00:41 on Sep 21, 2023

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

shazbot posted:

classic. mail out tests and mask mandate just in time for the end of the wave

It didn't do anything so next time we should just not even try :liberalism:

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ
In addition to mailing tests for free, make the drat insurance companies pay again or have free testing clinics everywhere again.

You can’t get a free PCR test at a pharmacy anymore.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

U-DO Burger posted:

it’s very kind of covid to wait until November 1st to spread

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

RandomBlue posted:

don’t be ridiculous. liberals would never be that generous.

the fda recommends 3 RATs over the course of 72 hours if you’re not clearly symptomatic, so it’s closer to one box per person.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

U-DO Burger posted:

people need to
emotionally prepare for being welded into their homes, as happened across America from 2020 until earlier this year

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
it also takes me 41 days to print out a piece of paper that says “masks required” thanks to my piece of poo poo Brother printer

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Louisgod posted:

it’s very kind of covid to wait until November 1st to spread

that’s when flu season starts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phlag
Nov 2, 2000

We make a special trip just for you, same low price.

Glumwheels posted:

In addition to mailing tests for free, make the drat insurance companies pay again or have free testing clinics everywhere again.

You can’t get a free PCR test at a pharmacy anymore.
Walgreens does offer PCR tests through a partnership with DOH. I'm not saying that to disagree or prove you wrong - just hoping that some unaware folks are able to snag them. I totally agree that high quality tests should be free and far more easily accessible. None of the Walgreens within an hour drive of me have had them in stock in weeks (at least when I've checked).